Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Jesus actually does the good work through us We merely surrender to Jesus and the good work He desires to do through us. Jesus is the source of life or salvation (See 1 John 5:12). So if Christ lives in us, then good fruit and not bad fruit will be evident in our lives. Jesus says we will know false prophets by their fruit. Jesus essentially says a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit and vise versa.

1 John 3:10 says the same thing.

Whosoever does not righteousness is not of God.
True. But it's not the works that make us righteous. The works are evidence, as 1 John 3:7 tells us.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 John 3:3 says,
"And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

1 Peter 1:16 says,
"'Be ye holy; for I am holy."

James 1:22 says,
"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You did not refute my rebuttal on 1 John 3:10 and 1 John 2:29 (which is the context).
It's all the same. They are indicatives of a believer. They are not imperatives to be righteous.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True. But it's not the works that make us righteous. The works are evidence, as 1 John 3:7 tells us.

No. You want to believe that you can even sin and still be righteous because you have a belief on Jesus. That is what is implied in your initial statement of the OP. You are saying that you are just as righteous as Jesus because of your belief in Jesus. That is not what 1 John 3 is saying. 1 John 3:10 says whosever does NOT righteous is not of God. 1 John 3:15 says if you hate your brother you are like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
1 John 3:3 says,
"And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

1 Peter 1:16 says,
"'Be ye holy; for I am holy."

James 1:22 says,
"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."
Good verses, bro.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's all the same. They are indicatives of a believer. They are not imperatives to be righteous.

They are imperatives for a Christian. For he that does not righteousness is not of God (1 John 3:10). He that does not love his brother is like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in them (1 John 3:15).

John says in 1 John 2,

"But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes." (1 John 2:11).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No. You want to believe that you can even sin and still be righteous because you have a belief on Jesus. That is what is implied in your initial statement of the OP. You are saying that you are just as righteous as Jesus because of your belief in Jesus. That is not what 1 John 3 is saying. 1 John 3:10 says whosever does NOT righteous is not of God. 1 John 3:15 says if you hate your brother you are like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.
But I do things that are righteous, by God's grace and the Spirit in me. So that's an indication that I am of God.

• Agree
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They are imperatives for a Christian. For he that does not righteousness is not of God (1 John 3:10). He that does not love his brother is like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in them (1 John 3:15).

John says in 1 John 2,

"But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes." (1 John 2:11).
I don't hate my brother. Is that something you are struggling with?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." (1 John 2:4).
Do you keep His commandments, or is it Christ in you?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good verses, bro.

But they really do not line up with what you believe, though.
A person cannot be holy as God is holy if they think they can sin and still be saved as the OP implies.
A person who has this hope cannot purify themselves as He is pure if they think they can sin and still be saved as the OP implies.
A person cannot be a doer of the Word so as to avoid deception and yet also not be a doer of the Word by thinking they can sin and still be saved as the OP implies.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A saved person says, "I am as righteous as Jesus."

Truth or blasphemy?
Something like blasphemy or sinful ignorance.
Yes, we are imputed with righteousness, but ours is only imputed; Christ's is the true, pure righteousness. His is not muddied and marred with the sinful nature.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
But they really do not line up with what you believe, though.
A person cannot be holy as God is holy if they think they can sin and still be saved as the OP implies.
A person who has this hope cannot purify themselves as He is pure if they think they can sin and still be saved as the OP implies.
A person cannot be a doer of the Word so as to avoid deception and yet also not be a doer of the Word by thinking they can sin and still be saved as the OP implies.
They line up with what I believe, thank you very much. Your understanding of them may not, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't hate my brother. Is that something you are struggling with?

Not at all. Paul says in Romans 13:8-10 that if one loves their neighbor, they are in essence keeping the moral law. This means one will not lie, hate, look at women in lust, etc. Do you look at women in lust? Do you ever swear or use bad words around others. That would not be loving to your neighbor or fellow man.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Something like blasphemy or sinful ignorance.
Yes, we are imputed with righteousness, but ours is only imputed; Christ's is the true, pure righteousness. His is not muddied and marred with the sinful nature.
My thinking is that God's declaration is sufficient.

• Winner
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They line up with what I believe, thank you very much. Your understanding of them may not, though.

Well, you have to explain these verses from your point of view in order for this statement to be true.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. Paul says in Romans 13:8-10 that if one loves their neighbor, they are in essence keeping the moral law. This means one will not lie, hate, look at women in lust, etc. Do you look at women in lust? Do you ever swear or use bad words around others. That would not be loving to your neighbor or fellow man.
I'll go back to this.
But I do things that are righteous, by God's grace and the Spirit in me. So that's an indication that I am of God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you keep His commandments, or is it Christ in you?

It is a cooperation. It is synergistic. A believer surrenders to Christ and the good work He desires to do through them. Remember, Jesus says that without Him, we can do nothing (See John 15:5).

"Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God." (Philippians 1:11).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well, you have to explain these verses from your point of view in order for this statement to be true.
No, I don't really. It's true whether or not I explain them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.