✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Not at all.

The grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live soberly and righteously in this present world (Titus 2:11-12).

Paul says that if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing (See 1 Timothy 6:3-4).

James compliments Paul's words above here on being proud. For in James 4:6, James says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.

Paul says, shall we continue in sin so that grace may abound?
Paul's answer to that question is, "God forbid."

Paul says be not deceived, the unrighteous (sinful people) will not inherit the kingdom of God; Paul then lists various sins attached to the unrighteous. Paul also essentially says we used to be this way as a part of our old life, but we are not that way anymore; See 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 below.

9 "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).
And such were some of you. Paul gets it right.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
1 John 3:7 says,
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
*sigh*

Righteous people do righteous things.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." (John 14:23).
Yep. He doesn't say they keeping His words makes him righteous.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Able to perform. That sums it up. We are no longer under any bondage to perform from the outside in. We are now free to perform from the inside out. Galatians 2:20.

No. It is not in the way that you suggest. While one does get clean by believing in Jesus as their Savior and by believing in His death and resurrection, it also involves one being able to perfom righteously after this point. Hebrews 11 is all about faith in action. Hebrews 11 is not about how they could sin and still be saved all because they had a belief on the Messiah. True faith always is followed by good works. Serious sin (that is not repented of) is always condemned even for a believer.

Jesus lives inside of us, and so it is Christ who does the good work through us. But 1 John 2:4 says, he that says he knows Him [Jesus] and does not keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them. Titus 1:16 says you can deny God by a lack of works. Hebrews 5:9 says that Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all who OBEY Him. Titus 2:11-12 says the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and soberly in this present world. The grace of God does not teach us to believe on Jesus despite us living ungodly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
*sigh*

Righteous people do righteous things.

Were you not essentially saying before how you are righteous just as Jesus is righteous because of your belief on Jesus? If that is the case, then 1 John 3:7 contradicts you then.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yep. He doesn't say they keeping His words makes him righteous.

Yes, God says that through John in 1 John 3:7.
The context is 1 John 3:10. Whosoever does not righteousness is not of God.

Also, Jesus says,

"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God."
(John 8:47).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No. It is not in the way that you suggest. While one does get clean by believing in Jesus as their Savior and by believing in His death and resurrection, it also involves one being able to perfom righteously after this point. Hebrews 11 is all about faith in action. Hebrews 11 is not about how they could sin and still be saved all because they had a belief on the Messiah. True faith always is followed by good works. Serious sin is always condemned even for a believer.

Jesus lives inside of us, and so it is Christ who does the good work through us. But 1 John 2:4 says, he that says he knows Him [Jesus] and does not keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them. Titus 1:16 says you can deny God by a lack of works. Hebrews 5:9 says that Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all who OBEY Him. Titus 2:11-12 says the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and soberly in this present world. The grace of God does not teach us to believe on Jesus despite us living ungodly.
So what you're saying is that

1. We are cleaned initially by believing in Christ, but He cannot keep us clean unless we do something.

2. Christ works in us, but He's not sufficient to do enough to keep us righteous. He needs our help.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And such were some of you. Paul gets it right.

Yes. Paul said we used to be sinners in the sense of the way that they behaved. Paul is not saying that they used to be sinners and now they are not sinners because they have a belief on Jesus (with them still sinning). It doesn't work like that. That would be turning God's grace into a license for immorality (See Jude 1:4 below).

"For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." (Jude 1:4) (NIV).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Were you not essentially saying before how you are righteous just as Jesus is righteous because of your belief on Jesus? If that is the case, then 1 John 3:7 contradicts you then.
Not at all. Righteous people do righteous deeds. Sheep do sheep things. It's not what sheep do that make them sheep.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes, God says that through John in 1 John 3:7.
The context is 1 John 3:10. Whosoever does not righteousness is not of God.

Also, Jesus says,

"He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God."
(John 8:47).
You keep changing indicatives into imperatives. That's where you keep tripping up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A saved person says, "I am as righteous as Jesus."

Truth or blasphemy?
This statement can be taken many ways and in a certain sense we are imputed the righteousness of Christ by having His righteousness imputed to us and the Holy Spirit dwelling within us. Our sins are forgiven and our slate is clean. So in this sense the credit and glory is in being in Christ and there is only one righteousness to be had by man and that is through Jesus Christ so that our glory is in being linked to Him. This is the hope of eternal life and being raised up apart from the nature of Adam. Some preachers like Copeland have claimed that we are little Gods being made of the same stuff as Jesus the way he presents it is blasphemy.

• Agree
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Paul said we used to be sinners in the sense of the way that they behaved. Paul is not saying that they used to be sinners and now they are not sinners because they have a belief on Jesus (with them still sinning). It doesn't work like that. That would be turning God's grace into a license for immorality (See Jude 1:4) (NIV).
Did you miss this part of your quote?

but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Nowhere are we ever justified by our works.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. Righteous people do righteous deeds. Sheep do sheep things. It's not what sheep do that make them sheep.

Not true.

1 John 2:29 says he that is born of God does righteousness.
1 John 3:10 says he that does not righteousness is not of God.

In John 10:27, Jesus says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"

Matthew 25 says that God separates the sheep from the goats. The sheep (on God's righthand) are implied in the fact that they loved the poor, and the goats (on God's lefthand) are implied that they did not love the poor.

31 "When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done itunto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."
(Matthew 25:31-46).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you miss this part of your quote?

but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Nowhere are we ever justified by our works.

Anyone can take one aspect or snippet from the Bible and focus a laser beam on that point while ignoring the rest of Scripture. But that does not mean they are correct in doing so.

As for being justified by works: You must have missed what James said in the Bible then.

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You keep changing indicatives into imperatives. That's where you keep tripping up.

Not at all. 1 John 3:7 is tied to 1 John 2:29 and 1 John 3:10.
John 8:47 is tied to John 8:31 and John 8:37.

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A saved person says, "I am as righteous as Jesus."

Truth or blasphemy?

When it comes to the biblical definition of righteousness, the Son is the only one righteous. A saved person no longer considers the self, rather looks onto the righteous Lord to bless them with his righteousness.

So that no one may boast before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.” (1 Cor 1:29-31)

If one considers themselves righteous, then they boast of the self. It sounds a bit like.....

I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High."

It is blasphemy indeed!

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Paul is in heaven, but you are not, right?
A little scripture for you.

4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,
5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ-by grace you have been saved-
6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, - Ephesians 2:4-6

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Not true.

1 John 2:29 says he that is born of God does righteousness.
1 John 3:10 says he that does not righteousness is not of God.

In John 10:27, Jesus says, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"

Matthew 25 says that God separates the sheep from the goats. The sheep (on God's righthand) are implied in the fact that they loved the poor, and the goats (on God's lefthand) are implied that they did not love the poor.

31 "When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done itunto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."
(Matthew 25:31-46).
You say not true, but then quote verses that support what I say. I'm not sure what to do with that.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Anyone can take one aspect or snippet from the Bible and focus a laser beam on that point while ignoring the rest of Scripture. But that does not mean they are correct in doing so.

As for being justified by works: You must have missed what James said in the Bible then.

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).
I didn't take one snippet. I pointed out the part you seemed to have ignored.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.