I am an Agnostic/Buddhist who attends a Methodist church. If they found out, what would they think?

Steven Wood

Not my will but Thy will be done
Jul 17, 2015
Arkansas, United States
✟18,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think they'd be even more delighted to have you ...in hopes you would convert..delighted if u didnt
I tend to rub people the wrong way my friend. I don't follow trends and the popular way of thinking just because it's easy. If things irritate me I speak out and don't care if others look at me or not (my children don't like it but oh well lol). The problem we have today is though the world is different we aren't and we see it differently. We as a people (especially Christians) think that we need to conform to the world's rules and fit to societies standards to either "convert" people or to even survive but that's not true at all. The sad, honest fact is that we (Christians) want the nice, easy life that the rest of the world has and we just want to call ourselves "Christians" but if we take a good look at ourselves (and I throw myself under the bus too) we aren't willing to make the hard choices and sacrifices lose our lives of luxury for Jesus. Honestly if we were willing, many of the things that we wrestled with now like inappropriate contentography for example wouldn't be half as hard to conquer. Isn't it funny how things would just fall in line if we had our priorities in order and were actually who we said we were. I'm trying to be now. I know I'm now real with myself and I can live without all the junk I thought was so important. Jesus is the only thing important in my life. The rest of the stuff is things of this world and will not save me. It's all fleeting. As a matter of fact I get bored with it shortly after I buy it so what good is it, It's more trouble than it's worth.

Reactions: sunsurfkdt
Upvote 0

sunsurfkdt

Nov 29, 2015
US
✟15,783.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I tend to rub people the wrong way my friend. I don't follow trends and the popular way of thinking just because it's easy. If things irritate me I speak out and don't care if others look at me or not (my children don't like it but oh well lol). The problem we have today is though the world is different we aren't and we see it differently. We as a people (especially Christians) think that we need to conform to the world's rules and fit to societies standards to either "convert" people or to even survive but that's not true at all. The sad, honest fact is that we (Christians) want the nice, easy life that the rest of the world has and we just want to call ourselves "Christians" but if we take a good look at ourselves (and I throw myself under the bus too) we aren't willing to make the hard choices and sacrifices lose our lives of luxury for Jesus. Honestly if we were willing, many of the things that we wrestled with now like inappropriate contentography for example wouldn't be half as hard to conquer. Isn't it funny how things would just fall in line if we had our priorities in order and were actually who we said we were. I'm trying to be now. I know I'm now real with myself and I can live without all the junk I thought was so important. Jesus is the only thing important in my life. The rest of the stuff is things of this world and will not save me. It's all fleeting. As a matter of fact I get bored with it shortly after I buy it so what good is it, It's more trouble than it's worth.
That's very true. Sometimes we gotta force ourselves. Like right now, I think I should be spending time with G-d instead of this !

Reactions: Steven Wood
Upvote 0

AnonymousRain

Dec 5, 2015
London
✟15,965.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
This thread just came to my attention in "new posts", so I'll hope that this hasn't already been said since I'm not inclined to read all the pages.

Why don't you ask the pastor of the church you currently attend?
They're of a mind to counsel the Christian and the non. Why not sort it out with someone in the church you attend? This is the net after all. You're not guaranteed to be speaking with people who are who they claim themselves to be.
While a pastor of a church is at least far more credible for being in that office currently.

So. I've been Agnostic my entire adult life. In 2009 I started following the path of Buddhism, which does not believe or disbelieve in any God. Since 2010, I have been attending churches with my family (My fiancee and now 3 children). We used to go to one church, we will call it SC, from around 2010-2014. Now since 2014 we have been going to another church, let's call it HC. The churches are both Methodist and are considered "sister churches", and lots of the members from each church know members at the other church.

Around 2012, at SC, my Sunday school class did a study on Christianity and World religions. I decided to teach the lesson on Buddhism. In the process I also "came out of the closet" to my Sunday school class. I was scared, and wasn't sure what they would think... But you know what, they were really nice and supportive. I was surprised, and it was cool. However, this was just a small group of about 8 people. I'm not really sure if word spread to the rest of the church. (Small church where around 60 people show up every week). We never really talked about it much after that. What do you think, did word spread?

Anyway, at the new church, HC, I am getting more active and actually play percussion every week during service. This church is slightly larger with about 80 people who show up every week.

I have never officially come out of the closet at HC, and I am scared to do so. What will they think? Will they not like me any more? Will they want me to stop playing the percussion?

My other question is: Since many of the people at both churches know each other, what is the percent chance that most everybody at HC already knows about me anyway? :)

And do I need to come out of the closet at HC? If so, when, where and how? Would it be appropriate for me to do a "testimonial" of sorts?

Thanks for your advice and wisdom.

Peace
Scott

Upvote 0

Steven Wood

Jul 17, 2015
Arkansas, United States
✟18,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's very true. Sometimes we gotta force ourselves. Like right now, I think I should be spending time with G-d instead of this !
It's always great to read and be in prayer but remember fellowship also strengthens and Jesus said anywhere that 2 or 3 come together in his name there he will also be. This has been and will continue to be my type of church. Modern day churches are flawed, it has failed and come short of the glory of God. It is full of man's greed, temptation and mistakes. And honestly Churches push people from God instead of lead people to God nowadays due to it's worldly conformity. I spend time with God being in this forum.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's always great to read and be in prayer but remember fellowship also strengthens and Jesus said anywhere that 2 or 3 come together in his name there he will also be. This has been and will continue to be my type of church. Modern day churches are flawed, it has failed and come short of the glory of God. It is full of man's greed, temptation and mistakes. And honestly Churches push people from God instead of lead people to God nowadays due to it's worldly conformity. I spend time with God being in this forum.
And we know it will be this way, so why bash God's people? Why not just say we are all sinners? Or are you better than all the rest in some way?

Maybe you are the one who should be the example in church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steven Wood

Jul 17, 2015
Arkansas, United States
✟18,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And we know it will be this way, so why bash God's people? Why not just say we are all sinners? Or are you better than all the rest in some way?

Maybe you are the one who should be the example in church.
I'm not better in any way nor have I ever claimed to be, but I do try to strive to act in the way that Paul reminds us to be in 1 Cor. We have to remember that the world looks to us as an example. We are all sinners to an overwhelming degree but we don't have to let the sin rule us as some do. As a matter of fact the extreme hypocrisy has become a stumbling block not only for the world but for new Christians. You ask if I'm better in some way. Did you think that Paul thought he was "better" than the church of Corinth when he wrote to them? (not that I consider myself as Paul but I am supposed to do the work he did) Jesus said not to judge which I don't. Paul tells us in Romans that if what we do or eat or drink causes offense (difficulty for another to follow Christ) for their sake don't do it. Am I bashing "God's people" any more than others in the Bible were when they told them of wrongdoing or do I care enough to tell people that they need to see that something is wrong? It would be worse of me to not say anything and I would be ignoring the commands told to me. I don't condemn anyone for anything, that's how people personally take what I say but I will not be quiet when I see churches that say they belong to God falling to the original sin. As Jesus told us you cannot serve 2 masters. They claim to everyone that they serve the Lord but they love their lives and serve themselves ,putting themselves in the place of God. As for being me being an example, as I do try unfortunately I fall short as any man does. Being held to anger. I go where I'm led. I pray for wisdom before I open my mouth so I'm not led by my own stupidity and added onto that all I can do is know that God's will be done because I know that many are called and few are chosen and it is meant that the majority is blind.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Christian moralism in the western world has failed to produce better people. Maybe because it always sees morality as somebody else's problem. Instead ,the pietistic impulse towards holiness has produced a Christendom full of rigid, demanding individuals lacking in compassion.

I am reminded of the wise words of Confucius, when a ruler he was visiting asked how he could find more honest officials. "Be honest yourself" was his answer.

Upvote 0