Husband Responsible???

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
To help guide, yes he's supposed to be doing that.
But the wife ultimately has to accept Christ and His ways herself. Her husband can't force her to do that. And if the husband falls through in his duties, she needs to be accountable for herself-- can't blame his failure.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another word for "head" would be "leader". A leader can influence us and lead us in a direction that he thinks is right, but it is up to us to follow through and make the commitment on our end, to commit to follow, to also study and learn on our own. As the saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

Isn't the husband somewhat responsible for the wife's faith / salvation since God made the husband the head of the household spiritually??

Thanks
ChristGrl
I would delete the word "somewhat." I will write that he is responsible for being a Christian witness in all those "times" that occur in marriage.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Isn't the husband somewhat responsible for the wife's faith / salvation since God made the husband the head of the household spiritually??

Thanks
ChristGrl

The husband should take responcibility for the spiritual state of all in a marriage.
He should be challenging behaviour or talking about ungodly ideas being expressed.
He cannot make anyone a Christian, but should ensure that everyonre knows the gospel and how reliable it and the bible are.

The stats on having a Christian Father are impressive as more then 50% of families are Christian, but if the Father is not Christian it drops to less than 25%.

see Touchstone Archives:

Upvote 0

ChristGrl

Jul 20, 2017
Pittsburgh Pa
✟19,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The husband should take responcibility for the spiritual state of all in a marriage.
He should be challenging behaviour or talking about ungodly ideas being expressed.
He cannot make anyone a Christian, but should ensure that everyonre knows the gospel and how reliable it and the bible are.

The stats on having a Christian Father are impressive as more then 50% of families are Christian, but if the Father is not Christian it drops to less than 25%.

see Touchstone Archives:

Ok so we are both Christians but hes doing a very lazy effort of the spiritual leader as the duties God has given him as my husband. He always says we are going to start doing devotionals but never does we never pray together at all the last time was 5yrs ago at our wedding which is sad and pathetic and even when I try to get him to sit down to do a devotional w me he always makes some excuse as to why he cant. I don't know what to do anymore.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Ok so we are both Christians but hes doing a very lazy effort of the spiritual leader as the duties God has given him as my husband. He always says we are going to start doing devotionals but never does we never pray together at all the last time was 5yrs ago at our wedding which is sad and pathetic and even when I try to get him to sit down to do a devotional w me he always makes some excuse as to why he cant. I don't know what to do anymore.
What did he say when you talked to him about why he makes excuses and how it makes you feel?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what to do anymore.
May I suggest talking to him. You say you are both Christians, ask him about his faith, why is he a Christian, what did he think of Sundays sermon or raise a querry about the sermon and ask him to explain it.

Basicly challenge him on his claim to be a christian.
As to daily devoution, buy an evertday with Jesus type of scripture reading booklet and at breakfast put it and the bible in front of him.
Say we have 5 minutes lets read, than I'll serve breakfast.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Do you do them on your own? If a leader is not leading it is still up to us to do what G-d wants. Perhaps if he sees you doing it, taking time out to pray or do devotionals he will want to join in? Let him know you are going to set aside a particular time for this, you would like him to join you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
l

He is absolutely not responsible for the wife's salvation or the wife's relationship with her heavenly father in any regard. She is to have a direct relationship with her Savior, outside of her role as a wife.

As another poster said, Jesus is the author and finisher of your faith. Galatians teaches us that God is not a respecter of persons and that all are viewed the same by him, whether bond or free, male or female, etc.

There are some patriarchy groups who teach that the wife is to obey the husband to the extent that if he commands her to sin, she must do the sin and that God will not hold it to her account but to his. That is a doctrine of the devil; it is a perversion of God's word and is not supported anywhere in the Bible.

Using the business end of the Bible to compel someone to give in to you (whether for devotions or for more sex, or etc.) usually does not lead to long term success.

When that happens, your taker is demanding a concession from their giver, which they may reluctantly give. However, after some time their take will rise up to say "Enough! It's my turn to take now!!" and this can often be a catastrophic fight. Takers don't really care what the other person thinks or feels when they are enforcing a rebound.

It's better to sit down together and brainstorm what spiritual connections he would be enthusiastic about. Have your takers negotiate with each other until an action plan that you are both enthusiastic about can be reached.

Here are some great articles about the giver/taker and how to successfully negotiate:

The Giver & Taker

The Policy of Joint Agreement

What would you think of printing these articles off and bringing them to your husband?

When you both are in agreement with these concepts, you could let him know that you would really enjoy meaningful connections about spiritual matters and, if he would be enthusiastic about that would he be willing to brainstorm options?

Don't constrain yourself to your way or his way. There are 100's of other ways - think outside of the box until you find one you both are enthusiastic about. You'll want to negotiate with his taker to prevent an ugly eruption down the road.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok so we are both Christians but hes doing a very lazy effort of the spiritual leader as the duties God has given him as my husband.

ChristGrl, what is in the heart proceeds out of the mouth (Matt 15:18).

This is a disrespectful judgement, which occurs whenever one spouse tries to impose a system of values and beliefs on the other.

With this kind of attitude towards your husband, he probably isn't overly eager to respond to your desire (demand?) in the way you are hoping he would.

Here's another link you may find helpful:

Disrespectful Judgments

Upvote 0

ChristGrl

Jul 20, 2017
Pittsburgh Pa
✟19,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Its not a demand but rather a desire and that was no disrecpectful judgement at all ive tried approaching him in a very gentle and RESPECTFUL way which didnt help matters at all. Hes very laid back has a laid back personality and procrastinates all the time!

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regardless of how very righteous you feel your desire/request is, if he doesn't share your enthusiasm or values, you shouldn't demand it of him or disrespect him about it if you want him to stay in love with you. Trying to conform a spouse's values to yours often results in the spouse losing love for you.

Most (all?) of us have had this type of struggle where we must realize that our spouse has their perspective of what's "right", too, and that it's disrespectful (and harmful to the marriage) for us to enforce our values on our spouse.

Better is to negotiate with him to find some other spiritual connection he would be enthusiastic about (not begrudging, but enthusiastic).

If he is not enthusiastic about any spiritual connections, I'd suggest that you continue to work the fruits of the Spirit out into your marriage so he finds your spiritual life to be attractive and pray that God would change his heart.

I've been in a situation where my spouse and I saw opposite directions on a spiritual issue and I felt sad for a season but did not try to force him into what I wanted - even though I was very attached to my way of thinking. In my case there wasn't a substitute so I just had to quietly grieve the difference knowing that forcing or guilting him into it would cause worse problems and WHEN he tired of my way, I'd still be in the same place plus many more hurt feelings all around.

However, my first objective was to respect his convictions and second to not damage his love for me in any way. We are still more in love each day than ever before.

So, I didn't get my way on the spiritual issue (we each stayed with our own way), but I do have an amazing and beautiful marriage with a husband who is deeply in love with me.

Thoughts?

• Agree
Reactions: Liza B.
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
that was no disrecpectful judgement at all ive tried approaching him in a very gentle and RESPECTFUL way
"Respectful" is in the eye of the beholder.
What may seem respectful to you may seem the exact opposite to him.

• Agree
Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been in a situation where my spouse and I saw opposite directions on a spiritual issue and I felt sad for a season but did not try to force him into what I wanted - even though I was very attached to my way of thinking. In my case there wasn't a substitute so I just had to quietly grieve the difference knowing that forcing or guilting him into it would cause worse problems and WHEN he tired of my way, I'd still be in the same place plus many more hurt feelings all around.

However, my first objective was to respect his convictions and second to not damage his love for me in any way.
Quoting for emphasis of the truth. We need to allow our spouse to have their own room to work out their faith (and we should focus on our own faith journey--and loving well). "Loving well" is about connection and grace.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Endeavourer
Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Its not a demand but rather a desire and that was no disrecpectful judgement at all ive tried approaching him in a very gentle and RESPECTFUL way which didnt help matters at all. Hes very laid back has a laid back personality and procrastinates all the time!

About five years in can be a tough time in a marriage. I want to really encourage you to take his personal qualities and find all the good in them that you can. He is "laid back" with a "laid back personality". Yes, sometimes that means he can procrastinate. But on the upside, I bet he is easy to be around almost all the time, right? I bet a lot of people say this about him. He lets much "roll off his back".

Right now you're not praying together or doing devotionals. What is he doing for you that you love? Make a list. Speak it to him. Thank him. Build him up. This is not manipulation. YOU are in charge of telling him his very best qualities, because you love him and you took on this role. Tell him every day. Only that, and that you love him. Let everything else go for now. After all, don't you want him to adore your best qualities?

When this is solidified in his mind, how much you adore him and are the keeper of his very best, he will bend over backward to please you. Then you can tell him, I would really love if it we could pray together, or do devotionals. This would make me so happy. And then it just might happen. At any rate, you'll have a much better chance than I think you do now.

Best wishes. Everyone has to grow into marriage, it's not easy, but so, so worth it. My hubby and I have 23 years behind us. God has been very good to us. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Kindled
Upvote 0