Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure this question isn't a new one, but can I marry a divorced woman who's ex-husband is still alive? To be honest I don't think it's such a big deal, but the Bible seems to say otherwise.

“It was said, ‘Whoever sends his wife away, let him give her a certificate of divorce’; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
— Matthew 5:31-32

And if you have married a divorced woman, are you to file for divorce? Sounds crazy to me.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: look4hope

ecumeni

Jan 7, 2023
Austin
✟17,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always interpreted the Bible as saying that it is okay as long as the ex-husband committed adultery while married. But surely God does not want divorcees to be single and unhappy if they are called to marriage. Not everyone is called to be single for their whole lives.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm sure this question isn't a new one, but can I marry a divorced woman who's ex-husband is still alive? To be honest I don't think it's such a big deal, but the Bible seems to say otherwise.

“It was said, ‘Whoever sends his wife away, let him give her a certificate of divorce’; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

And if you have married a divorced woman, are you to file for divorce or what?

Matthew is written to Israel who were under the law…

The epistles have some great information regarding marriage and not so much regarding divorce although the framework around 1Co 7:15 does give us some idea.

But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Unbelieving incorporates anything outside of a believer…it could be someone who is unfaithful, abusive, untrustworthy, etc. ….It’s not just isolated to disbelief of the Word….as the scripture tell us …but in some cases (I know too well) that may be a reason a spouse may depart.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,130.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Prefer never married women. There is no reason to needlessly complicate your life and possibly have doubts later.

Its even made more ambiguous with Luke who has a version without the unfaithfulness exception:

“Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery."
Luke 16:18

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I always interpreted the Bible as saying that it is okay as long as the ex-husband committed adultery while married. But surely God does not want divorcees to be single and unhappy if they are called to marriage. Not everyone is called to be single for their whole lives.
Divorce is not the unforgivable sin. Neither is remarriage. Most people should marry. If someone does divorce, they should endeavor to deal with the issues that led to divorce in the first place. Otherwise, there is a serious risk of the next marriage failing as well.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure this question isn't a new one, but can I marry a divorced woman who's ex-husband is still alive?
I have known a lot of people who have lost their firstborn child. After my divorce, even before I became a Christian I wanted to know what the Bible says about divorce. I wanted to know what everyone said from every perspective possible. I think the statistics are important. People who have sex partners before marriage have a 50% divorce rate compared to 20% rate for people who do not have multiple sex before marriage. In the same way divorce people have a high divorce rate. You have movie stars that have up to 12 marriages. The rabbi says that there is a difference between sex and intimacy. Sex drives people apart intimacy brings them together.

As others have mentioned, it is very hard not to marry the same type of person. So chances are high that you will end up with the same results. It does seem to work out for some people. At least they claim it does. Paul tells us that 1 Corinthians 7:28 "But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this."

We are told in Genesis 5:2 "He created them male and female". Why did God make us male and female? It appears so we can be joined back together with Him. I would pray and tell God to slam the door shut if it was not His plan and purpose for me and my life. A lot of times that is exactly what He does. If we pray and ask Him to guide us and lead us in the way He wants us to go. He will find a way to stop a marriage that does not have His approval. IF we ask.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Prefer never married women.
There are lots of never-married women in third-world countries who would love a green card to come to America. They usually make pretty good wives because they have a high opinion of Americans. I have heard it said if you can get a five here in America you can get a 7 or 8 overseas. I do not watch that program on TV, so I do not know how that all works out there. I have heard the prices are going up. Use to cost 2 or 300, now it more like two or three thousand. I know someone that adopted overseas and that cost them 30 or 40,000.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And if you have married a divorced woman, are you to file for divorce or what?
Marriage is complicated. Divorce is the easy way out. So many situations and nuances to consider. Ultimately, God has given us a way to live according to His will , His Holy Spirit, but His will is not always embedded in the conscience of the beliver. We can micro manage what we should or what we shouldn't do however God already knows the condition of the heart. The commitment between a man and woman is only as good as the love they have for each other. God knows this. Blessings.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are lots of never-married women in third-world countries who would love a green card to come to America. They usually make pretty good wives because they have a high opinion of Americans. I have heard it said if you can get a five here in America you can get a 7 or 8 overseas. I do not watch that program on TV, so I do not know how that all works out there. I have heard the prices are going up. Use to cost 2 or 300, now it more like two or three thousand. I know someone that adopted overseas and that cost them 30 or 40,000.
True love? Do you think God would approve of buying a wife?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 5:21. It hath been said, Who so ever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery: and who so ever shall marry her that is divorced commits adultery. Read deuteronomy chapter 24. Give her bill of divorcement. Former may not take her again. All sins are forgivable by repentance to God. If someone is divorced. Repent sins to God and be forgiven. What are grounds for divorce. Adultery or druggies or witchcraft or domestic abuse or drunkards. First Corinthians chapter 7. The Christian and unbelievers are not compadable to marry. Paul advises not to marry. But theirs nothing wrong with getting married. Myself, I won't marry. I will stay single, and focus on planting seeds for God. It's a individual choice if they stay single or marry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Marriage is complicated. Divorce is the easy way out. So many situations and nuances to consider. Ultimately, God has given us a way to live according to His will , His Holy Spirit, but His will is not always embedded in the conscience of the beliver. We can micro manage what we should or what we shouldn't do however God already knows the condition of the heart. The commitment between a man and woman is only as good as the love they have for each other. God knows this. Blessings.
It all depends on the reasons for the divorce. Jesus brought up the subject just as one example of situations which Moses allowed under the Law, and the more strict requirement of righteousness that Jesus pointed out. In one session where Jesus was showing that our righteousness has to exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees (who incidentally were so strict concerning observance to the law, were to all intents and purposes, blameless), Peter exclaimed, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus' reply was that with man it is impossible, but with God all things are possible. If Jesus had not been pressed by the Pharisees, He would not have mentioned divorce and remarriage at all, and His comments about it were not intended to be viewed as hard and fast doctrine, as some "churchians" suppose. Also, Jesus was speaking to Pharisees and not to the common people.

There are those who are steeped in "churchianity" who would revictimise a woman who has had to flee a marriage to a violent, homicidal husband, to save her life and that of her children. Also for a spouse who has been deserted with no hope of reconciliation. Gambling or boozing away the household income causing the spouse and children to starve, be thrown out of their home because of unpaid rent, or mortgage sale, repossession of appliances and furniture, would require a spouse to divorce for the sake of their well-being. Jesus never went into the different causes of why people get divorced because it was not relevant to the discussion He was having with the Pharisees at the time. Nor would these reasons were relevant to Paul's teaching to the Corinthians, because the reason why he gave the teaching was because men were putting away their wives for the sole reason that they wanted a closer spiritual relationship with God, and they believed that celibacy was the answer. Paul taught that the marriage contract depended on wives loving and being submitted to their husbands, and the husbands loving their wives as Christ loved the church. When a spouse fails in that respect, the marriage contract is broken, and if a responsible spouse refuses to repent, then he or she in effect becomes an unbeliever, and Paul says that a person doesn't have to remain married to an unbeliever, the believer being either unconverted, or who has made him or herself an unbeliever through disobedience and refusal to accept correction by the Church.

If a spouse is adulterous, violent, deserting the marriage, a gambler, or alcoholic, and will not submit to correction by the elders of the church, then he is to be treated as an unbeliever and put out of the fellowship until he or she repents. I believe in that case, the innocent spouse is free from any obligation to the marriage and has the freedom of choice whether to stay with that person or to be divorced without any penalty from God or the church. And if reconciliation turns out to be totally impossible, be free to remarry without penalty.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm reminded of the parable that Jesus gave concerning the servant who owed his master an enormous debt that it was totally impossible for him to repay. He pleaded with his master, who forgave him the whole debt. Then the servant went to a fellow servant who owed him a much less amount and demanded that he pay, and when the fellow servant could not repay, he had him thrown into debtors prison until the debt was paid. When the master found out, he cancelled the arrangement and had him placed into the hands of the tormentors until the full debt was paid.

When Jesus died on the Cross, he paid the eternal debt of sin that we could never repay, and replaced it with a wonderful salvation including the free gift of righteousness so that we would have no fear of the Judgment and the glorious hope of entering into the joys of the Lord forever. But if any of us decide to go to a fellow believer and criticise and condemn them because they fail to measure up to our own rules, we are in danger of God cancelling the arrangement, because we have made the Cross of Christ of no effect for us.

In relation to divorce and remarriage, we see the same thing happening. We have modern day churchian Pharisees pouring condemnation of divorced and remarried believers in spite of they being forgiven the eternal debt of sin. I believe that our faith in the finished work of Jesus on the Cross totally frees us of condemnation through the grace of God. Our sin is an eternal debt that we could never repay no matter how devoted and holy we try to be. Our salvation is the gift of God to us through His grace because we choose to base our faith on Christ and what He did for us on the Cross. But if any turn on divorced and remarried believers and accuse them of adultery, and imply that they will come off second best in the Judgment, then they make the Cross of Christ ineffective for themselves, because God sees that in spite of being forgiven of the eternal debt of sin, they are quick to condemn others for something that is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. If the condemning person refuses to repent, then God cancels their salvation and they will suffer the consequences at the Judgment.

This is why we, as the Bible instructs. to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling". We have to realise that God's arrangement with us concerning our salvation is dependent on our loving our brethren as Christ loves us, and no matter what others do that we might see as wrong, we continue to love them in the same way that "even while we were yet sinners, Christ loved us and gave Himself for us." This is why we need to show the grace and love of God to those contemplating divorce and try to find ways of keeping their marriage together; and we need to show the love and grace of God to those who are divorced, that "all manner of sin and iniquity shall be forgiven:, and that God does not punish the innocent with the guilty. Divorce and remarriage are not unforgivable sins in the case of those who have instigated the divorce through their lack of faith in the marriage or sinful behaviour. They are not sins at all for those who are the innocent parties in the divorce and who have come to the point where they know that reconciliation is impossible and have subsequently remarried to partners who love them as Christ loves the church.

The upshot to all this is that as God has shown His grace to us through Christ, so should be show grace to all those, whether they subscribe to our ideals or not.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It all depends on the reasons for the divorce. Jesus brought up the subject just as one example of situations which Moses allowed under the Law, and the more strict requirement of righteousness that Jesus pointed out. In one session where Jesus was showing that our righteousness has to exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees (who incidentally were so strict concerning observance to the law, were to all intents and purposes, blameless), Peter exclaimed, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus' reply was that with man it is impossible, but with God all things are possible. If Jesus had not been pressed by the Pharisees, He would not have mentioned divorce and remarriage at all, and His comments about it were not intended to be viewed as hard and fast doctrine, as some "churchians" suppose. Also, Jesus was speaking to Pharisees and not to the common people.

There are those who are steeped in "churchianity" who would revictimise a woman who has had to flee a marriage to a violent, homicidal husband, to save her life and that of her children. Also for a spouse who has been deserted with no hope of reconciliation. Gambling or boozing away the household income causing the spouse and children to starve, be thrown out of their home because of unpaid rent, or mortgage sale, repossession of appliances and furniture, would require a spouse to divorce for the sake of their well-being. Jesus never went into the different causes of why people get divorced because it was not relevant to the discussion He was having with the Pharisees at the time. Nor would these reasons were relevant to Paul's teaching to the Corinthians, because the reason why he gave the teaching was because men were putting away their wives for the sole reason that they wanted a closer spiritual relationship with God, and they believed that celibacy was the answer. Paul taught that the marriage contract depended on wives loving and being submitted to their husbands, and the husbands loving their wives as Christ loved the church. When a spouse fails in that respect, the marriage contract is broken, and if a responsible spouse refuses to repent, then he or she in effect becomes an unbeliever, and Paul says that a person doesn't have to remain married to an unbeliever, the believer being either unconverted, or who has made him or herself an unbeliever through disobedience and refusal to accept correction by the Church.

If a spouse is adulterous, violent, deserting the marriage, a gambler, or alcoholic, and will not submit to correction by the elders of the church, then he is to be treated as an unbeliever and put out of the fellowship until he or she repents. I believe in that case, the innocent spouse is free from any obligation to the marriage and has the freedom of choice whether to stay that person or to be divorced without any penalty from God or the church. And if reconciliation turns out to be totally impossible, be free to remarry without penalty.
I know this divorced woman. It's not that I know we will get together, but I don't know the reason for her divorce. It just seems wrong to try to figure out if she is "marriageable". The whole idea of digging into her past life feels both disrespectful and selfish to me.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I know this divorced woman. It's not that I know we will get together, but I don't know the reason for her divorce. It just seems wrong to try to figure out if she is "marriageable". The whole idea of digging into her past life feels both disrespectful and selfish to me.
You may need to be like Joseph concerning Mary. He sought the Lord, and the Lord said, "Don't be afraid to marry this woman."

Therefore, it doesn't really matter what the background of the woman is. It is really none of your business, unless she trusts you enough to disclose it to you. The priority for you is to seek the Lord in prayer and remain in fellowship with the Lord until He makes it clear whether this is the woman for you or not. It is not enough to make a decision based on presumption, because there will always be that doubt in your mind whether you did the right thing in either accepting or rejecting her. When the Lord speaks to you, you will know all about it, and He does promise that when you seek Him with all your heart, you will find Him. When He speaks to your spirit, there will be an absolute certainty about whether this is the woman for you or not. Once you have that certainty from the Lord, you will not regret any decision you make concerning it. If you choose to get together with her with a view to strengthening your relationship with each other because of the certainty that it is right according to the Lord, any doubts that others will put on you will not be as important because you will have known that the Lord has definitely spoken to you and told you not to be afraid of having a deeper relationship with her.

Remember that the devil can quote Scripture at you through others to try and condemn you. He usually takes just one or two verses out of context, while when God speaks, He uses all His counsel right through the Bible to show you what His will is. Even divorced people can be totally forgiven if they were the guilty ones, and the innocent ones don't need forgiveness because they weren't the ones who caused the divorce through any sin of their own.

You will get a whole range of opinions on this thread, but what is more important is what the Lord tells you directly to your spirit, and that can come only through taking time in prayer and fellowship with Him until you hear His voice in an unmistaken way. If something comes to you and you are not sure, then don't act on it until you are completely sure, because anything less an surety could be presumption. Gideon put out two fleeces before God before he was convinced about what God told him to do.

It is also important not to let your desire for a partner overrule your willingness to hear God's voice telling you one way or the other. You must be honestly prepared to receive yes or not as the Lord dictates. Receiving a no takes more faith than a yes, because you have to believe that if this is not the woman for you, there is a woman further down the track that will be more suitable.

Anyway, those are my views for what they are worth.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,130.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If they want to move to America, they want to adopt the American life style.

The ones who want to stay with their parents and families and support them when they get old are the traditional ones with the good character one should look for, IMO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
There can be many reasons why a divorce is necessary.
Physical, Mental and sexual abuse.
Adultery.
One does not stay with a spouse who makes a marriage a living nightmare, so why not move on?
Yes, marry the woman if there is loyalty and sincere love between you two.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,130.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There can be many reasons why a divorce is necessary.
Physical, Mental and sexual abuse.
Adultery.
One does not stay with a spouse who makes a marriage a living nightmare, so why not move on?
Yes, marry the woman if there is loyalty and sincere love between you two.

Physical or mental health danger is the one frequently put into display as a reason for divorce, but the vast majority of breakups and divorce in the western culture is for just subjective reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LesSme

Aug 19, 2022
SF Bay Area
✟29,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
There’s another recent, long thread on this forum addressing divorce and remarriage, might take a look.

Also this very long video comprehensivley addressing the subject may be edifying. Pastor
Winger lists a number of books and online articles in his YT preface.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The ones who want to stay with their parents and families and support them when they get old are the traditional ones with the good character one should look for, IMO.
They can support their family here. Sending them boxes of stuff and money when they need it. I know a girl that went to hong kong and I asked her kids if they were mad that she left them. They said no because they wanted the money that she sent home to buy TV or whatever.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Physical or mental health danger is the one frequently put into display as a reason for divorce, but the vast majority of breakups and divorce in the western culture is for just subjective reasons.
Science is objective, but most people are subjective, even a lot of scientists. That is why if you have four people there are five opinions.

Upvote 0