Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've never gone hunting before, but I really want to. I think it would help me, as well as save money on food. I enjoy target shooting and plan on collecting firearms.
I am concerned if a hunter could sin by feeling pleasure from killing an animal, if that would be sadistic or something.

If one hunts for food, but has fun doing it, is it a sin?
If one hunts for fun, but eats the carcass, is it a sin? I was more bothered by the Trump brothers killing a leopard than I was by Trump's "grab 'em by the *****" video. Maybe that's because I went to Texas public schools and grew up with animals being my only friends.

The church I grew up in didn't frown upon running over animals with cars for the fun of it. I find it hard to imagine Jesus doing something like that, but there really isn't much in the Bible on that topic. I've been told there's nothing wrong with killing an animal for fun.
I think shooting a quail or deer will make me feel less over-attached to animals. Maybe I'll view them as food, not friends.

Reactions: brinny

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've never gone hunting before, but I really want to. I think it would help me, as well as save money on food. I enjoy target shooting and plan on collecting firearms.
I am concerned if a hunter could sin by feeling pleasure from killing an animal, if that would be sadistic or something.

If one hunts for fun, but eats the carcass, is it a sin? I was more bothered by the Trump brothers killing a leopard than I was by Trump's "grab 'em by the *****" video. Maybe that's because I went to Texas public schools and grew up with animals being my only friends.

The church I grew up in didn't frown upon running over animals with cars for the fun of it. I find it hard to imagine Jesus doing something like that, but there really isn't much in the Bible on that topic. I've been told there's nothing wrong with killing an animal for fun.
I think shooting a quail or deer will make me feel less over-attached to animals. Maybe I'll view them as food, not friends.

We are called to be stewards of creation. Every thing is there for our good, but that doesn't mean we can exploit creation without any thought for the future.

There is nothing wrong with hunting for food, or enjoying ones skill in hunting.
It is how one views tha animal and uses its meat that matters eg, buffalo hunters took only the hide leaving the carcus to rot, that was wrong.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you hunt something for food, I think that's one thing. If you want to shoot something for fun, you could use a camera and have a picture of a living thing God created. Ending something's life for fun seems wrong to me vs the idea of celebrating it's life.

• Agree
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We should shoot animals with a camera.if one is killing for food ,of course there is nothing wrong with killing for food.killing animals like elephants lions etc just so you can look like a supposed “big man” is sickening.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I hunted for years, but gave it up. You sort of get in “this is proving my manhood” sort of thing. It doesn’t. And, I doubt any of us would starve without inflicting the needless pain and suffering on them. The first animal you don’t kill outright, and you see the fear and struggle to live in their eyes, you’ll realize there’s not that much difference in ‘them and us’ at that point. Self-defense from a dangerous animal is something else. For me, if I do any more hunting it will be with a camera.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

berry berry quietly...sorry I could not resist :)

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,954.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I find it hard to imagine Jesus doing something like that, but there really isn't much in the Bible on that topic. I've been told there's nothing wrong with killing an animal for fun.

God cares about the welfare of animals - pets, livestock, even those you hunt for food:

Proverbs 12:10
The righteous care for the needs of their animals, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

If we didn't have a corrupt flesh which is caused by sin, we don't even have to kill animals for food. We kill for food because of our corrupt flesh.

If you have to hunt, it is for the purpose of obtaining meat for consumption or hide for clothing. And the sacrifice of an innocent animal to satisfy our corrupt flesh must be in no way to disrespect the animal but to honor their sacrifice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

No it is not a sin to enjoy hunting. I think where you were trying to get at are those who seem to brag about killing for fun, which is more on their prideful heart than anything else, not really have to do with the action itself.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God's initial intention of course was that both people and animals should eat only plants (Gen 1:29-30). All went a bit wrong with the fall...personally I don't really get hunting for sport, but I don't think it's sinful, and I can't see how hunting animals you intend to eat could be wrong. I'd just say the important thing is to develop the skills needed to give the animal a quick death.

You'll either enjoy it, or you won't. If you enjoy it then where's the problem? The animal will still be dead either way, and you'll probably do a better job of killing it quick if you enjoy it and so learn how to do it right.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,954.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
consuming animals (meat) for food is one of the consequences of the fall of man.

The first sin also affected the animals so before man sinned, no one ate meat. None of the animals are carnivores.... In the New Earth, everything will be restored (healed) so that a lion and a sheep would be sitting together in peace....

Not saying that eating meat (and also killing or hunting animals to consume their flesh) is a sin. But it is a product of the original sin. It is a result of our corrupted/diseased nature. Not to be celebrated in any fashion but only for the purpose of survival.

We must hunt only for the sake of necessity and survival (to have food, clothing, tools, etc). Anything more is a form of idolization of our corrupt nature which led us to consume meat in the first place.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just a little heads up to those posting in this thread.
This thread was opened in a subforum of The Ancient Way where people can ask questions of Eastern Orthodox Christians.
No harm done, but please be aware of where you are posting.
Carry on :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

There is nothing wrong with hunting animals for food, especially if it's necessary.

It concerns me something you said - that some considered nothing wrong with running over animals with a car for fun. There IS something wrong with that, IMO, if a person is enjoying killing just because they are killing. What is at the heart of that? What passion is being fed? Where will it lead? Is it making you more like Christ? Gleeful killing just for fun - should be a red flag that something needs examining inside a person, identifying, and maybe be rooted out. If one happens to enjoy suffering specifically, than is 100x more a red flag.

Do you want to view animals only as food and not as friends? If so, why? There might be something in there worth understanding.

We are not forbidden to eat animals. We are not forbidden to hunt and/or kill them. The motives and the passions involved are what could possibly make it become something wrong.

But there is also something of beauty in the created world, of appreciating the wisdom of God in how He created it to intricately work together, whether it's the way a tree draws up water from its roots up the trunk to nourish each leaf ... or whether it's being aware of how the wild goose "knows" when and where to migrate and how to take turns manipulating air flow so the flock can work together to help one another, and the bonds of a mated pair that can remain faithful for life. God is wondrous in all of creation - all creation is a testament to His wisdom and glory and love. Appreciating animals in this way is beautiful too.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,954.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

You'll either enjoy it, or you won't. If you enjoy it then where's the problem?

It's probably not a sin to have fun while hunting for food.

But it could reflect one's desire either for God or worldly/corrupted things.

The first time an animal was killed/sacrificed was to make clothing for Adam and Eve after they sinned. It wasn't a fun time, it was a time of mourning. We eat meat and have to kill animals for it because of our corrupted nature when Adam and Eve sinned.

Whenever we kill an animal for food or hide (for clothing) we repeat some of the consequences of Adam and Eve's sin, so it isn't a time for fun. I'm not saying we should never hunt animals for basic needs but it would be right to take such act with humility and to remind ourselves why we do it in the first place and respect for the innocent animal that has to die because of corrupted flesh.

This why Jesus asked Peter 3x after their catch of fish if Peter loves Jesus more than these (fishing OR anything that belongs to this corrupted world).

Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,468.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have hunted, and have grown up in a family that hunts and fishes etc., but I find I don't like killing things. (I make an exception for ticks, and wonder what they were like before the fall.) From my youth I have spent time in the woods, and I have always enjoyed stalking and observing wildlife. There is nothing wrong with hunting, though it should be done with an attitude of gratefulness and respect for God and His creation. If it is an activity that stirs up conflict or wrong passions in you, you are probably better off avoiding it.

As far as saving money by hunting, between firearms, ammunition, gear, licenses, and the time spent you probably won't save any money, but fresh wild meat is good and time spent quiet and alone in the wilderness can be of great benefit.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just a little heads up to those posting in this thread.
This thread was opened in a subforum of The Ancient Way where people can ask questions of Eastern Orthodox Christians.
No harm done, but please be aware of where you are posting.
Carry on :)

Apologies, I posted here straight from the ‘new posts’ link, didn’t notice the header

• Friendly
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Apologies, I posted here straight from the ‘new posts’ link, didn’t notice the header

No worries. It happens frequently and we realize that.

Usually we try to offer a heads-up to let folks know. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0