Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
What I didn't expect is how many people in the video linked below didn't know how old the earth is. And how far off they were. And I'm wondering how wide spread that lack of knowledge about the earth's age is. I don't know if that picture is due to creative editing or actual lack of knowledge.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What I didn't expect is how many people in the video linked below didn't know how old the earth is. And how far off they were. And I'm wondering how wide spread that lack of knowledge about the earth's age is. I don't know if that picture is due to creative editing or actual lack of knowledge.

The makers of the video want to make it entertaining, so they load it up with wrong answers, with a sprinkling of correct answers, because otherwise people might not take the “teaching” part of the video cereal.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm in the " between 6000 and billions of years old" club. I'm also including the rest of creation in my estimate.
Blessings

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I didn't expect is how many people in the video linked below didn't know how old the earth is.

If he would have asked me that question, I would have replied: "As old as God willed it to be."

Then I would ask him a question: "How long has the earth been in existence?"

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The makers of the video want to make it entertaining, so they load it up with wrong answers, with a sprinkling of correct answers, because otherwise people might not take the “teaching” part of the video cereal.

Notice at the end, he's giving a collegiate timeline of life on earth, and people in the background are just walking past him and down that ladder like they couldn't care less.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As part of the formation of the solar system the Earth is around 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years old.
The ≈0.1 mm diameter chondrule in a meteorite sample I possess is of this age.

chondrule.png

Chondrules are commonly dated using ²⁰⁷Pb-²⁰⁶Pb radiometric dating have been confirmed with ¹⁸²Hf-¹⁸²W dating giving consistent results for the age range.

1694297824164.png

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
As part of the formation of the solar system the Earth is around 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years old.
The ≈0.1 mm diameter chondrule in a meteorite sample I possess is of this age.

Chondrules are commonly dated using ²⁰⁷Pb-²⁰⁶Pb radiometric dating have been confirmed with ¹⁸²Hf-¹⁸²W dating giving consistent results for the age range.
I don't see anything that is proof of age.
So some numbers are on a page in a report... not proof of anything in my book.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So some numbers are on a page in a report... not proof of anything in my book.
The science doesn't go by your book.
If you notice there is a reference column in the table which points to the peer reviewed article the table is based on such as this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
The science doesn't go by your book.
If you notice there is a reference column in the table which points to the peer reviewed article the table is based on such as this.
So a person trained in the same field, taught the same texts, lectured by the same profs.... somehow agree on the paper that validates their claims.
OK.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is likely the best and most accurate witness is Scripture, revealing about 6000 years as God inspired authors wrote the truth from God as a testimony for all God's People and against the enemies of God.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So a person trained in the same field, taught the same texts, lectured by the same profs.... somehow agree on the paper that validates their claims.
OK.
Some many multitudes might not get the sarcasm at all, as the truth is hidden from them...

None of us, not one , can boast in ourselves though - it is only after our heavenly Father removes the vale that any of us was/is able to see the truth and start to understand it.

Reactions: dwb001
Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
It is likely the best and most accurate witness is Scripture, revealing about 6000 years as God inspired authors wrote the truth from God as a testimony for all God's People and against the enemies of God.
Well I always thought the eye witness to the event would know best.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
The Earth is about as old as God is.
Very edgy answer... some might even say heretical.
I can see a way that your answer makes sense but I really have not thought of it like your answer before.
I may need to do a bit of looking up scripture to check a few things.
But for now I can't say you are right or wrong.
Nice work.

Upvote 0