• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How not to feel guilty with chronic pain

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I totally understand. I have fibro, degenerative discs lower back and neck, and diabetic neuropathy---I've been in pain for 24/7 for over 26 years ending up on disability for the past 6+ years. It's been tuff to go from often working 100 hr work weeks to being in a wheel chair unable to work. I pushed and pushed myself until I could no longer push. I resisted the wheel chairs and resisted until I discovered I actually could do more in a wheel chair than out of it. I was a perfectionist and have had to adapt to the reality of those days are gone. My home used to be sparkling clean---no longer. My husband also is on disability with health issues and both of us still can't keep our home as clean as we used to.
MMJ did wonders for me and took it for 1 1/2 years, but can no longer afford it. So my pain levels are back up, but not as bad as it used to be before the MMJ. However, I am enjoying taking my time when I cook, I learned, slowly, I didn't have to throw everything together as quickly as was humanly possible. I find that everything I do cook, tastes so much better now as I also learned I no longer have to gulp it down as fast as I could! I was so tired and worn out that I ended up doing nothing for a long time. I found I had a ton of old movies I had never seen, I've always loved the old ones, even from the 30's. And now I'm starting to want to get back to doing a little more and asking God to help me to accomplish more around the house. I quite feeling guilty for not being able to do much a while back--it took a long time to get over that. It came with overdoing it, crashing in pain, resting, overdoing it, crashing in pain, resting--finally it got through to me that if I just did less more often, over the long run I do more with less flare ups. Duh!
I finally even got around to a project that had been at the back of my mind for years. My 2 nieces wanted some of my recipes---I made a cook book for them. I got a notebook, typed up my recipes and cleaned up all my old scraps of paper with recipes scribbled on them--there was a mountain of them. I put the pages into plastic clear sleeves and made copies so each of the girls got one, plus one for me. It's filled a 3 inch binder. I sent them the first batch with the notebook, so now I can just type up the pages and then mail those to them. They were really thrilled with it--It maybe the only thing they will have to remember me by. I am trying to think in terms of projects now, instead of looking at everything that needs to be done and being overwhelmed and doing nothing. Fibros are easily overwhelmed, we have to learn to narrow the vision or end up too overwhelmed to do anything. It's hard to go from a very talented multitasker (no problem having up to 5 things going at once) to just do one thing, and concentrate on that--I can no longer walk and chew gum--so either chew or walk!

• Agree
Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I may not be the firecracker Iused to be--but I am alive and breathing and can still manage to do something! Being on this site is work. My fibro has made me dyslexic now! I can no longer type 80 words a minute with just 1 or 2 mistakes--I can't type one sentence without several mistakes. I have to proofread each post 3-4 times and will still find mistakes after posting. The cook book was a labor of love---my hands are also sort of numb from the neuropathy, yet painful. But I did it, not in the old way--flurry of fast paced activity and over and done with, with great accuracy--slow, laborious, endless rewrites and corrections, just look at one recipe at a time not the whole mountain that has to be done. But I did it, and am still doing it! It's the old rabbit and turtle thing--I'm no longer a rabbit, but the turtle still gets there.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
bestill, is there a bible verse regarding the lonely sheep outside the herd will be vulnerable to attack by wolves? That makes sense to me, and wanted to know if there is a verse about this?

However,what does one do when the wolves are IN the church as well?

I dress modestly and wear no makeup, so I'm not sure what you mean by clothing and speech and attitude and church behavior....but I can tell you that I've been to services, where people will actively gossip after church about others, and much worse for them or myself is when being ridiculed or judged happens within earshot.

This is not building up of others and weakens the body of christ, never mind the destruction of our own earthly bodies!

I'm choosing my battles more wisely now, and refuse to allow myself, to the best of my abilities, to be drained by emotional vampires, who do NOT know christ, nor submit to his will.

Like wolves, they smell weakness and move in a packs for an easy kill.
This is the 3rd time I've replied only to have it disappear. Anyway, I don't recall right now a verse, but it's seen in nature as well as human nature. maybe this article might explain
https://gotquestions.org/solo-Christian.html
Being the church is in the world the wolves will be there too. I try to set my mind on Christ because we are told in Philippians 4:8 [Full Chapter]
Brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any virtue and if there is anything worthy of praise—dwell on these things.
For me, to focus on the wolves is a distraction away from our Comforter Holy Spirit.
About the clothes, ect. I was thinking about myself, and all the mistakes I made in those areas.
It was not referring to you. BTW, I was not raised Christian. Your term > emotional vampires is interesting. I use to use that term all the time in my youth, but it concerned people close to me that were constantly draining me of life. I look back now and see they were used of satan to vampire all the life out of me. But now I have Christ who gave His Blood Full of Life for me to have life in Him.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Your term > emotional vampires is interesting. I use to use that term all the time in my youth, but it concerned people close to me that were constantly draining me of life. I look back now and see they were used of satan to vampire all the life out of me.
I didn't see the previous conversation, just this last post.
This aspect describes very well the enemies' activities and motives everywhere (in society) today.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
my hands are also sort of numb from the neuropathy, yet painful.
Have the same thing. Pain and sometimes spasms in my ankles which make it hard to walk. I put on a lot of weight that has been difficult to lose, or reduce. Here is my favorite calm videos, from Youtube. John Mansfield

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't see the previous conversation, just this last post.
This aspect describes very well the enemies' activities and motives everywhere (in society) today.
Referring to your signature:
In my case I was continuously prescribed more and more meds, and kept getting worse and worse until I discovered I was experiencing the side effects of the meds. I have learned recently some of my illness was due to the meds, others symptoms are high stress, and some are disappearing as I hear God's loving peaceful voice, others are generational curses, I am renouncing, and some are self-curses in ignorance I pronounced on myself. And curses pronounced on me from those I have loved. A couple may be from environmental factors like living in a house I discovered after 4 years was full of mold. Jesus provided healing for all, so I am on my journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Referring to your signature:
In my case I was continuously prescribed more and more meds, and kept getting worse and worse until I discovered I was experiencing the side effects of the meds. I have learned recently some of my illness was due to the meds, others symptoms are high stress, and some are disappearing as I hear God's loving peaceful voice, others are generational curses, I am renouncing, and some are self-curses in ignorance I pronounced on myself. And curses pronounced on me from those I have loved. A couple may be from environmental factors like living in a house I discovered after 4 years was full of mold. Jesus provided healing for all, so I am on my journey.
Excellent!
Just TODAY online I listened to a short simple message -
about Y'SHUA HEALING US. (main message of the NEW TESTAMENT).

p.s. I don't remember what my own sig says - I haven't seen it in so long! :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Excellent!
Just TODAY online I listened to a short simple message -
about Y'SHUA HEALING US. (main message of the NEW TESTAMENT).

p.s. I don't remember what my own sig says - I haven't seen it in so long! :)
Here's your signature >
if you find someone who is honest,(rare in any country, etc....)
like in G.rm.ny, did you know the doctors there are allowed to cure deficiencies with vitamins and minerals. No toxicity and very low cost. Takes a few weeks. Not legal for doctors in the usa because "it can't be patented" (that's their own words, their own reason) i.e. not profitable enough. (they admitted)
Is the Y'SHUA HEALING US message you are referring to on YouTube? Or can you send a link?

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bestill, it has to be satan attacking me, it really has to be.

I'm so wiped out.

I can relate to the neuropathy, especially the terror of not being able to use my hands at times, so I can't call for help or even grasp the doorknob of my front door.

Thanks for the meditations, that is very kind and thoughtful of you, but then again, you are showing the fruit of the spirit arent you.:oldthumbsup:

bestill-this little light of yours, let it shine, shine, shine.

amen
Thank you Spicy, believe me it's ALLL GOD. Last week on YouTube I discovered a TENZ unit that has another control on it to repair nerve pain (or damage)? Does anyone know what I am talking about or have used this? My old TENZ unit does not have this. But before I invest I would like to know if it works for pain, numbness or helps heal?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's your signature >
if you find someone who is honest,(rare in any country, etc....)
like in G.rm.ny, did you know the doctors there are allowed to cure deficiencies with vitamins and minerals. No toxicity and very low cost. Takes a few weeks. Not legal for doctors in the usa because "it can't be patented" (that's their own words, their own reason) i.e. not profitable enough. (they admitted)
Is the Y'SHUA HEALING US message you are referring to on YouTube? Or can you send a link?
If you can think of key words I could try Google. Was Y'SHUA HEALING US part of the Title?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Does anyone know what I am talking about or have used this? My old TENZ unit does not have this. But before I invest I would like to know if it works for pain, numbness or helps heal?
I've known several people who used one. Saw several for sale on cr**gslist.
Apparently (what they said when I talked to them or what they posted) more than half the people
were UNhappy with them, AND they sometimes CAUSED problems.
Sometimes they worked, but even for the people who liked them for a while, personally they didn't expect it was a good idea long term.
At least one said they were damaged by a tens unit (I don't remember specifics, but it made things worse pain and health wise, so they stopped).

• Informative
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I notice some are saying they were perfectionist. I was too! I used a toothbrush for anything my sponge, dishcloth or mop couldn't clean well enough. Those days are gone. But I wonder if being a perfectionist is a common trait among people like us???
In case I need to mention it again, I believe the Lord led me to lighten up. I truely believe that laughter is healing. I always feel much better after I watch comedy.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I notice some are saying they were perfectionist. I was too! I used a toothbrush for anything my sponge, dishcloth or mop couldn't clean well enough. Those days are gone. But I wonder if being a perfectionist is a common trait among people like us???
In case I need to mention it again, I believe the Lord led me to lighten up. I truely believe that laughter is healing. I always feel much better after I watch comedy.

I do not know the percentages--but just about all the people I know with fibro were perfectionists. And the percentage of them who had experienced abuse (of any kind) was extremely high also---and it seamed like the higher the level of abuse, and length of time, the worse the symptoms.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not know the percentages--but just about all the people I know with fibro were perfectionists. And the percentage of them who had experienced abuse (of any kind) was extremely high also---and it seamed like the higher the level of abuse, and length of time, the worse the symptoms.
Makes sense. If that or other causes are in the mix then we should focus on God's Word. His Word can only help our "Guilt over illness," when we can no longer fit the pattern of our old selves.
We need to shut our ears to the one who is causing us to feel guilty.
JAMES 4 : 7 Submit to God and stand against satan, and satan will run from you. 8 Draw near to God and God will draw near to you.
Drawing near to me means placing my head on His chest to hear His heart and be comforted, as John did.
ROMANS 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Upvote 0