How much did you spend this year for medical bills?

What percentage of gross income did you pay in medical expenses in 2019

• 1-10

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • 10-20

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • 20-30

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • 30-40

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • 40-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about the increase in those as a result with lifelong injuries and need for added medical attention as a result of being 'saved'.
As far as I know, injuries went down across the board.
But people would rather trust in a government that tells them processed foods are safe in the short term. Why change if the product is there so presumably it is healthy. Government controls foods no more than the medical industry cures diseases in stead of just treating them, since they got their hands slapped for curing polio and upsetting the financial status quo of an industry.
That’s what happens when you let industry lobbyists “influence” policy makers. You get the government protecting the profits of corporations rather than the welfare of the public.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟779,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I voted for the first option, but in fact throughout my entire life I have never had to pay for any medical bills.
Here are the costs we pay under the National Health Service:-
Visit to Doctor (GP) or any other clinic offering NHS services - FREE
Visit to Out of Hours GP Centre or Minor Injury Unit - FREE
Emergency ambulance to Accident & Emergency - FREE
Treatment in A&E - FREE
Treatment as a hospital inpatient, including all surgery - FREE
Consultation and treatment in Outpatients - FREE
It is all paid through taxes and national insurance contributions - deducted from our salaries.
People who are working and earning are expected to contribute towards the cost of prescriptions and dental treatment.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟370,467.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I overcame mine. :D

Cataracts run in my family on the men's side (genetics). Both my brothers and my father had to have cataract surgery.

Oldest brother at age 45.
Father at age 50.
Older brother at age 68.

I'm 79 (80 in April) and am just developing cataracts in one eye. So I have forestalled this disease long past the others through better general care of my health.

Also, my father, both brothers, as well as my sister died by age 75, all after prolonged illnesses and disorders. It is my good general health that keeps me going even though I have had some serious health problems in the past 15 years. My general health allows me to bounce back.

Alcoholism runs in my family as well, on my mother's side. This has put several relatives in an early grave, and contributed to my sister's and one brother's death. I don't have a drinking problem either.

So if an undereducated believer in creation can overcome these health issues, anyone can.
And now, not only would you be wrong but you position yourself away from showing grace to folks based on your own misunderstanding of some basic truths about health.

The leading, NUMBER ONE cause of cancer is entropy. It can happen to anyone

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,013.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We went public insurance and that cut the yearly fees in about half. We even share in rebates and fees lowed on occasion when a year has less claims. You won't see that in private insurance where they continually try to increase profit for themselves.
"public insurance"

We have insurance companies owned by the policyholders, where we do indeed get dividends which cary spending on how well the company has done the year before.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟370,467.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
"public insurance"

We have insurance companies owned by the policyholders, where we do indeed get dividends which cary spending on how well the company has done the year before.
Wait. So your dividends would be directly tied to profits for the company

Interesting. Seems like they've set up a system where other policy holders get the profits of the insurance company death panels. I guess that's one way to placate and sow division between the sick and healthy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist

Americans healthcare is the worst of both worlds - paying for the most expensive healthcare system in the world but forced to purchase costly private insurance in order to access medical care!

Bernie Sanders is considered to be on the political fringes by campaigning for universal healthcare, a right that is currently available to the citizens of every other modern liberal democracy in the world - at a fraction of the cost!

Canada, with which the US shares 5250 miles of common border, adopted the universal medical system which Sanders proposes 50 years ago, and while Canadians are familiar with the American arguments for retaining private healthcare, there is absolutely no popular support for reverting back to that system!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,013.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Americans healthcare is the worst of both worlds - paying for the most expensive healthcare system in the world but forced to purchase costly private insurance in order to access medical care!

Bernie Sanders is considered to be on the political fringes by campaigning for universal healthcare, a right that is currently available to the citizens of every other modern liberal democracy in the world - at a fraction of the cost!

Canada, with which the US shares 5250 miles of common border, adopted the universal medical system which Sanders proposes 50 years ago, and while Canadians are familiar with the American arguments for retaining private healthcare, there is absolutely no popular support for reverting back to that system!

I missed your point. Was it that the federal government should have the responsibility to cancel all methods of paying for and delivering healthcare, so that the federal government can develop a system of its own?

Yes, an economy the size of Canada may very well do better with a one payer system. Their economy is smaller than that of New York City. It doesn't follow that one system should be run for the entire US. What is likely to happen is that states and even large cities will develop their own systems.

BTW, our Medicare system that everyone wants to go on to remove insurance companies from the system has insurance companies as a critical part of its system. There are programs for those who don't want insurance. There are supplemental insurance policies for those who prefer insurance.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
I missed your point. Was it that the federal government should have the responsibility to cancel all methods of paying for and delivering healthcare, so that the federal government can develop a system of its own?

Yes, an economy the size of Canada may very well do better with a one payer system. Their economy is smaller than that of New York City. It doesn't follow that one system should be run for the entire US. What is likely to happen is that states and even large cities will develop their own systems.

BTW, our Medicare system that everyone wants to go on to remove insurance companies from the system has insurance companies as a critical part of its system. There are programs for those who don't want insurance. There are supplemental insurance policies for those who prefer insurance.
I'm aware of no reason as to why a universal system could be successful in Canada but not in the US - if the marketplace actually encouraged competition that drove down costs, as advertised, one would expect private healthcare in America to operate at a substantially lower cost than its government financed counterpart in Canada!

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,013.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm aware of no reason as to why a universal system could be successful in Canada but not in the US - if the marketplace actually encouraged competition that drove down costs, as advertised, one would expect private healthcare in America to operate at a substantially lower cost than its government financed counterpart in Canada!

It is a matter of scale. It is much different running a system of any kind in a tiny country (the size of one our cities) compared to running a system that touches hundreds of millions of people.

I won't convince you. It is way. Americans prefer to have choices, and prefer to have fewer decisions made in Washington DC, and more made locally. I used to belong Kaiser, a fine HMO. I wouldn't dream of forcing Kaiser on everyone because it worked so well in Northern California. I worked well for a few huddled doctors and a few hospitals with local control.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Canada is an entirely different culture than the U.S. Just ask any Canadian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Everyone first needs to understand.

Insurance Companies are in the business to make money, (a Profit), otherwise it would be a stupid venture for any Company to enter in to.

Therefore Insurance Companies do not care one wit about the people who buy policies with them, as long as the can turn a profit.

They have what they would call a product, if you want their product prepare to pay, what the market will bare.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,013.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Everyone first needs to understand.

Insurance Companies are in the business to make money, (a Profit), otherwise it would be a stupid venture for any Company to enter in to.

Therefore Insurance Companies do not care one wit about the people who buy policies with them, as long as the can turn a profit.

They have what they would call a product, if you want their product prepare to pay, what the market will bare.

You have the view that business have no interests other than maximizing profits. That simply isn't the case.

Upvote 0