How long are you willing to be on Lockdown?

How Long are you willing to Go on Lockdown?

• Forever - no more freedoms for Americans

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Open it up now - give us our liberties back

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Until a they find a vaccine - 18 months

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • No answer

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
That has nothing to do with the question. There was no indication they thought it was all about Americans and no one else.

Because when I want to mention Egyptians, I just use the blanket term “Americans” and it covers everyone.

“Gosh, those Americans built some fine looking pyramids for their grain.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The revision are based on things like social distancing functioning, which the idiot who shook your hand is undermining.

Because someone might catch a cold.

Australia is up to 18 deaths, and there is certainly evidence of causation.

Really shocking statistic, just checked think they're now claiming 20. Wow. Keep this up, we might be almost at the annual toll from cassowary attacks.

Fatalities are all oldies with underlying respiratory or similar illnesses. In fact there's no evidence to link any disease to this alleged variant beyond any of the normal diseases thought to be caused by coronaviruses generally.

When will the reality start to dawn on ppl I wonder. It's all in God's hands.

• Agree
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It feels to me that Americans in particular tend to focus more on their "freedom to" and be myopic about "freedom from." That there's far more of an emphasis on personal liberties, with people feeling they are unfree if they can't do what they want, when they want, where they want, and how they want, rather than make adaptations. Whereas in other more communal-minded societies there's increased prioritization on "freedom from," so they don't feel unfree by adhering to personal restrictions, because they recognize the benevolent intention is to keep them free from disease during this global pandemic.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To answer the question asked in the thread title - as long as it takes. I'm a young college student with meticulously made plans for my academic pursuits and career ambitions, plans for social events and travel I'd been ecstatic about, plans to spend time with my boyfriend and others I love who are not located near, and all those plans have been halted. I do feel caged in. I do feel sad. But I also feel like staying home is the very least I could do, and that I'm fortunate to have a home to stay in. I haven't hugged, I haven't lived with my own parent for weeks now, because she's a physician treating patients diagnosed with COVID-19 and so she's self-isolated in our house while my dad, siblings and I live elsewhere. She goes from our now empty home to the hospital, and back. I haven't seen my friends since my college was the first in the U.S. to cancel in-person classes and evacuate the campus. But many more are making far greater sacrifices. It's not just my own family but many healthcare providers around the world who are making these sacrifices They are going into work, in some cases without the necessary protection for themselves, and committing their duty to be of service to others despite the risks to themselves, and to their family. You can see the distress on his face when he cannot accept the hug from his child because of the risk that would impose on him from having treated coronavirus patients:

ABC News on Twitter

I also see bravery in all those who have more humble but crucial jobs like the janitorial staff, sanitation workers, grocery store employees, who continue to report to work on time and give it their all. I'm going to school online, I'm worshipping online, I'm socializing online. While many others do not have the liberty of choice to stay home.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It feels to me that Americans in particular tend to focus more on their "freedom to" and be myopic about "freedom from." That there's far more of an emphasis on personal liberties, with people feeling they are unfree if they can't do what they want, when they want, where they want, and how they want, rather than make adaptations. Whereas in other more communal-minded societies there's increased prioritization on "freedom from," so they don't feel unfree by adhering to personal restrictions, because they recognize the benevolent intention is to keep them free from disease during this global pandemic.
Well said. Exactly what I have been trying to put to words these last few days.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Fatalities are all oldies with underlying respiratory or similar illnesses. In fact there's no evidence to link any disease to this alleged variant beyond any of the normal diseases thought to be caused by coronaviruses generally.
That is how we all started.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As long as it takes, but if it does take 18 month then people have messed up somewhere fighting this thing.
It took about three years before the epidemic of a hundred years ago was tolerable to the masses

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because someone might catch a cold.

Really shocking statistic, just checked think they're now claiming 20. Wow. Keep this up, we might be almost at the annual toll from cassowary attacks.

When will the reality start to dawn on ppl I wonder. It's all in God's hands.
The reality is that near me, they are having to rent refrigerated trucks to house the dead because the morgues are full from this virus.

This isn't just a cold. It is currently tearing through the US at over 6x the rate of the flu. It is killing more than the flu, suicide, and car accidents combined and only getting worse.

We had your dismissive attitude not too long ago and so did italy. Now we have a pile of corpses to contend with. Wake up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Now we have a pile of corpses to contend with.
You bring up an excellent point. Hospitals, morgues and funeral homes have a super huge backlog of unclaimed dead in the US, both flesh and cremated, because people can't pay for a funeral or the government won't pay enough for disposal. The funeral places are privately run and don't have to accept anyone without the cash. Apparently it costs about $2700 minimum and welfare has not changed the rate of $1800 in 38 years. Add this new burden to the backlog and things could get interesting. At least in Italy they are bringing them into churches 80 at a time for temporary storage and blessings before the army comes to bury them in new graveyards. This all without any family contact.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So to those who said forever? You want a Dictatorship to tell people, where they can go, for how long, at what distance? This sounds like something even Nazis, and Communists didn't even do.
You were the only one who said forever.

Upvote 0

James4Christ 777

Oct 28, 2019
Monterey
✟6,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I Asked fellow Americans in this forum, because this forum is called American Politics, not World politics. I asked Americans because Personal liberties , the Constitution, and Individualism is huge here compared to Socialized Collectivism of the rest of the world.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

James4Christ 777

Oct 28, 2019
Monterey
✟6,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
We have to open up eventually people die from Economic Depression from suicides, drug overdoses, spousal abuse, crime, robberies, poverty , alcoholism, we can't sacrifice freedom for 33% unemployment, that a 1/3rd of Americans left behind because people are sacred of a virus, we had viruses in this country history , even worse ones, almost everything didn't just stop, we can both protect the weak among us, ramp up testing, quarantined, and go back to normal life for most of us. America a can do country, not a "ohh no , mommy tuck me in from society" culture.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So to those who said forever? You want a Dictatorship to tell people, where they can go, for how long, at what distance? This sounds like something even Nazis, and Communists didn't even do.
One million of the national guard have been called up.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You bring up an excellent point. Hospitals, morgues and funeral homes have a super huge backlog of unclaimed dead in the US, both flesh and cremated, because people can't pay for a funeral or the government won't pay enough for disposal. The funeral places are privately run and don't have to accept anyone without the cash. Apparently it costs about $2700 minimum and welfare has not changed the rate of $1800 in 38 years. Add this new burden to the backlog and things could get interesting. At least in Italy they are bringing them into churches 80 at a time for temporary storage and blessings before the army comes to bury them in new graveyards. This all without any family contact.

We have had 2 dogs who eventually had to be put to sleep. Both in pain with no chance of recovery. Both were cremated in a mass burning. I'm fine with that for myself if I do die in this or when I eventually die. If all the rest are pets I'm more than fine with that. Excellent company. I would have said better company a week ago, but near me people are more friendly and considerate than before, though from 6 feet away.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
we had viruses in this country history , even worse ones, almost everything didn't just stop, we can both protect the weak among us, ramp up testing, quarantined, and go back to normal life for most of us.
Like I said, this is a good global test run

Upvote 0