How does the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church compare to other churches?

Feb 28, 2017
Nashville
✟17,459.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I imagine it is very similar to other "apostolic" churches like the RCC, Eastern, Orthodox, Coptic, Armenian, or perhaps even more "ceremonial" Protestants like Anglicans and Lutherans

Nonetheless, I'd like to ask: how are their beliefs and liturgical practices similar/ different from those churches listed above? Do they believe in the Real Presence, recognize saints days Marian Dogmas, or the efficacy of the sacraments? In other words, do they share in the catholic faith of the undivided church?

Also, what is with their Bible canon? I've never even heard of the Book of Joseph or Ethiopian Clement. Why do they have so many unique books?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I believe they still keep some of the Jewish customs the early Church kept like separation of the sexes in church, keeping Kosher, they keep Shabbat as well as Sunday, etc...and they still practice male circumcision.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Separation of the sexes is also the norm in their mother Coptic Orthodox Church, where it has nothing to do with any Hebraic customs (as the Copts, unlike the Ethiopians, have never made any claim to any Hebraic lineage), but is instead taken to be a cultural rather than ethnic tradition. I have never asked an Ethiopian person about this (though I have worshiped with many in the Coptic Orthodox Church), so they may more may not tie it to some Judaism-referencing reason. To the best of my recollection the Syriacs also segregate the sexes in worship (not sure about the Armenians), so this may be a pan-OO tendency. (I've asked EO on this website and they say that they used to do so, but it's a custom that is for the most part no longer observed except in monastic settings.)

The Orthodox Tewahedo (a more proper and inclusive name, as there are today two native Orthodox churches of East Africa which share the same apostolic faith, that of Ethiopia and that of Eritrea) have many more books than any other Church because there are several in their wider canon which have only been preserved to this day in the Church's liturgical language, Ge'ez. In some cases, these are hypothesized to be translations of earlier Greek and/or Syriac works that have since been lost, and in some cases they were probably originally authored in Ge'ez.

According to what I have read, their anaphoras were originally received from Egypt (it was HH St. Athanasius the Apostolic, the twentieth Pope/Bishop of Alexandria, who sent Axum her first bishops after the conversion of the kingdom under King Ezana circa 330). This was long before the modern era when the Egyptian Church herself has only three anaphoras (those of St. Basil, St. Cyril, and St. Gregory), which is a situation that did not even exist in the Egyptian Church until the last few decades under HH Pope Shenouda III (you can still find recordings made in the 1960s or 1970s of the "Habashi" liturgy, which is, ironically enough, an Arabic translation of one of the anaphoras of the Ethiopian Church; this was ordered stopped by HH on the grounds that it is not appropriate to use the anaphoras of other churches when we have our own that we need to preserve).

They have a robust culture of veneration of the saints, as all OO do. I have an English translation of the Ethiopian synaxarium and it runs some 700+ pages.

They believe in the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist, again as all OO do. Their devotion to the Theotokos is such that the famous 15th century emperor Zara Yaq'ob ordered that every church in his kingdom have an altar dedicated to her, and that her feasts are to be celebrated like Sundays (that is, under pain of excommunication for not celebrating them). It is also apparently common in their tradition that heretics are branded as "Enemies of St. Mary" (source: Fr. Tadros Y. Malaty "St. Mary in the Orthodox Concept", p. 115).

Someone else who knows would do better to comment on the Hebraic character of the Church (I have various academic works that talk about it, but they're mostly written by Westerners who have a very low opinion of the Orthodox Tewahedo, so I won't present them here), though the Saturday worship and dietary customs (which I was under the impression are not exactly the same as kosher dietary laws, just closer to them than any other Christian church) already mentioned by Yeshua HaDerekh above are a good start. In addition to these it should be mentioned that they have claimed since ancient times to house the original Ark of the Covenant, which is held under lifetime guard at the Church of Our Lady Mary of Zion in Axum, a church which itself dates back to the time of Frumentius, the former teacher of the future King Ezana, and first bishop of Ethiopia (d. 383).

Famous Ethiopian saints include St. Tekle Haymanot (d. 1313), who founded the Debre Libanos monastery in 1284, St. Yared (d. 571), composer of the Church's music and musical notation, and Abba Moses the Strong (a.k.a., Abba Moses the Black, Abba Moses the Ethiopian), the first century desert father. Interestingly, they also venerate Pontius Pilate, based on his acts as recorded in the Acts of Pilate, a very early piece of apocryphal literature (referenced by St. Justin Martyr, for instance, who died in 165 AD). To my knowledge, no other Church does so, though in some churches his wife, Claudia Procula, is a saint (as she for the Orthodox Tewahedo, too).

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Separation of the sexes is also the norm in their mother Coptic Orthodox Church, where it has nothing to do with any Hebraic customs (as the Copts, unlike the Ethiopians, have never made any claim to any Hebraic lineage), but is instead taken to be a cultural rather than ethnic tradition. I have never asked an Ethiopian person about this (though I have worshiped with many in the Coptic Orthodox Church), so they may more may not tie it to some Judaism-referencing reason. To the best of my recollection the Syriacs also segregate the sexes in worship (not sure about the Armenians), so this may be a pan-OO tendency. (I've asked EO on this website and they say that they used to do so, but it's a custom that is for the most part no longer observed except in monastic settings.)

Someone else who knows would do better to comment on the Hebraic character of the Church (I have various academic works that talk about it, but they're mostly written by Westerners who have a very low opinion of the Orthodox Tewahedo, so I won't present them here), though the Saturday worship and dietary customs (which I was under the impression are not exactly the same as kosher dietary laws, just closer to them than any other Christian church) already mentioned by Yeshua HaDerekh above are a good start. In addition to these it should be mentioned that they have claimed since ancient times to house the original Ark of the Covenant, which is held under lifetime guard at the Church of Our Lady Mary of Zion in Axum, a church which itself dates back to the time of Frumentius, the former teacher of the future King Ezana, and first bishop of Ethiopia (d. 383).

Separation of sexes may just be a very old "middle eastern" custom of modesty, Judaism included. Some of the Kosher laws may just be taken from the same place Judaism uses them from, the OT. However, I believe some are the same while some are different, probably because they evolved under differing interpretations? The ark is called the Tabot and I believe every church has a replica.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes, every church has a replica of the tabot. That's something I forgot to mention. In the Orthodox Tewahedo tradition, it is necessary that the church contain a tabot in order for the church to be considered properly consecrated, and the tabots themselves are therefore considered to be sacred objects fit to be seen or handled directly only by priests. Thus in Ethiopia when they are carried in procession for Church festivals like Timket/Epiphany, that carrying is done with the tabot concealed under fine cloth (so people still don't get to see it), as below:

1200px-Timket_Ceremony_Gondar_Ethio.jpg

The lack of understanding of this even got Westminster Abbey in the UK in quite a bit of trouble with the Ethiopians a few years ago because they had for a time a tabot stolen from Ethiopia on display, inlayed in one of their altars where it would therefore be visible to anyone who might look at the altar from the proper angle to be able to see it. I'm not sure what ever came of that particular conflict (it may still be there; the article I could find about this was from 2010), but the issues that it exposed show how seriously the Orthodox Tewahedo take this particular aspect of their faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been to 'ethiopia but not an expert.....
there foundation goes back to queen of sheba who brought back jewish priests to worship the God of Abraham in Solomons day......1000bc

Thus there are OT jews in the land and have been welcomed back as citizens in Irael today.....you can see many of these in Jerusalem today.....

as a result the ethiopian eunic was an African jew who brought the gospel back to ethiopia after his conversion.....
Dont know specifically the orthodox christians but many if not most of the christians worship on Sabbath and keep passover.....and seem to hold many of their Jewish 1st century church beliefs......
They were insulated from catholic and most of European church influence and claim that Mark was the apostle to bring them the gospel as there founding forefather.....
AS does kenya and I believe Egypt.....
In summary the ethiopian church is somewhat frozen in time and has its own unique spirit.....different from most African nations........without much outside unfluence until recently...very dedicated prayerful christians......

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know they keep Judaic practices but i am more interested in the theological reason why. Given that the Ethiopian Church is in communion with the Coptic Church I have a suspicion that such practices are not considered a necessity (unlike certain Messianics/judaising groups.

Who are the fathers the Ethiopian Church recognises beyond those that we as Chalcedonians have in common with them?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind that question, Ignatius. I don't think any of us think of things in terms of 'necessity' vs. 'not a necessity'; rather, things develop as they do as a matter of history and the adoption of the faith in particular cultural and historical circumstances (no different than in your on communion, right?). Can you explain a little bit more what you have in mind in that paragraph, please? Thank you.

As to the Ethiopian saints, there are a great many dating from before and after the schism of Chalcedon. I have an English-language translation of the Ethiopian synaxarium and it runs over 700 pages. I'm not sure how to encapsulate all that into a post, but I'm thinking that certainly the Nine Saints of the late 5th century (or 4th; see below) should be mentioned: Abba Garima (Yeshaq), Abba Pantelewon, Abba Liqanos, Abba Guba, Abba Aftse, Abba Aragawi, Abba Alef, Abba Sehma, and Abba Yem'ata. They are famous for having founded several monasteries on the Pachomian model: at Axum, near Adwa, at Debre Damo, etc. One of them, Abba Garima, is also credited with the authorship of the earliest Ge'ez translation of the scriptures -- the so called "Garima Gospels" which have been recently carbon-dated to between 390 and 570 (potentially pushing back the arrival of the Nine Saints to as early as the late 4th century, though from what I've been able to find the Ethiopians claim that he arrived in Ethiopia in 494; there seems to be some confusion in dates due to the now largely discredited idea that the nine arrived as a group; the Coptic Encyclopedia states that it is likely that they arrived at different times, citing as evidence the tradition that Abba Garima was invited by Abba Pantelewon, while Orthodoxwiki states that they arrived in Ethiopia in 480, with no further comment), making the earlier of the two of them the earliest surviving illuminated Christian manuscript in the entire world, and the earliest surviving Ethiopian manuscript of any kind.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind that question, Ignatius. I don't think any of us think of things in terms of 'necessity' vs. 'not a necessity'; rather, things develop as they do as a matter of history and the adoption of the faith in particular cultural and historical circumstances (no different than in your on communion, right?). Can you explain a little bit more what you have in mind in that paragraph, please? Thank you.

As to the Ethiopian saints, there are a great many dating from before and after the schism of Chalcedon. I have an English-language translation of the Ethiopian synaxarium and it runs over 700 pages. I'm not sure how to encapsulate all that into a post, but I'm thinking that certainly the Nine Saints of the late 5th century (or 4th; see below) should be mentioned: Abba Garima (Yeshaq), Abba Pantelewon, Abba Liqanos, Abba Guba, Abba Aftse, Abba Aragawi, Abba Alef, Abba Sehma, and Abba Yem'ata. They are famous for having founded several monasteries on the Pachomian model: at Axum, near Adwa, at Debre Damo, etc. One of them, Abba Garima, is also credited with the authorship of the earliest Ge'ez translation of the scriptures -- the so called "Garima Gospels" which have been recently carbon-dated to between 390 and 570 (potentially pushing back the arrival of the Nine Saints to as early as the late 4th century, though from what I've been able to find the Ethiopians claim that he arrived in Ethiopia in 494; there seems to be some confusion in dates due to the now largely discredited idea that the nine arrived as a group; the Coptic Encyclopedia states that it is likely that they arrived at different times, citing as evidence the tradition that Abba Garima was invited by Abba Pantelewon, while Orthodoxwiki states that they arrived in Ethiopia in 480, with no further comment), making the earlier of the two of them the earliest surviving illuminated Christian manuscript in the entire world, and the earliest surviving Ethiopian manuscript of any kind.

I suppose I'm deeply suspicious of Messianicism or any kind of Hebrew roots movement in general. I find it fascinating that Ethiopian Christians hold onto so many Jewish celebrations but also merge that with a Christian understanding which is rooted in Nicaea. The emphasis in the aforementioned groups is to induce in Christians a sense that the Sabbath law and Kosher laws are still binding on Christians to us today and that to violate them is a sin. That's a sort of understanding I can't get behind simply from my reading of the New Testament (Galatians) and the early Church. If individual Ethiopians are allowed to abstain from those practices and be regarded as full members of the Church then I would have little problem with this particular emphasis.

Thank for you indulging me on the matter of Ethiopian saints. The reason I ask is because I think knowledge of a Church's saints tells us of it's character and what the people who adhere to it today believe.

Is this book you referenced?

http://www.stmichaeleoc.org/The_Ethiopian_Synaxarium.pdf It's quite large. What is it exactly? Is it like the Eastern Orthodox Synaxion? A book about the lives of the saints?

Also are there any books by Ancient Ethiopian writers you are familiar with that represent the Ethiopian Church or do they share the same Coptic fathers equally as spiritual influences?

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i think it is interesting to note...that we as western christians...want to trace our origins back to the 1st century church and the original apostles....
as I grew up in the restoration movement....
but we are unwilling to accept churches like the ethiopian church that is frozen in time and was not greatly influenced by western gentile teachinngs and customs.......

we are trying to trace back to 3rd century 6th century beliefs....however many customs and beliefs changed after the jews were overun by rome and scattered in 70ad

i believe a reexamination of the NT scriptures will show most all of Pual Peter James and apostles churches went to the jews first and used them as a foundation for the early elders and bishops of the first century church.....
Reading in james and 1 Peter they went exclusively to Jews ....
however I do believe 2 Peter shows he did reach out to gentiles

I also believe some if not many rabis and synagogues were used as places of worship by the 1st century church......
reading in Acts 18:8...the rabbi Crispus was converted and by suggestion led the Corinth church along with Justus his asociate rabi........

Not until Paul went to rome did some of the Jewish converts fail to be in leadership????
as claudius commanded all the jews to depart from Rome...1 corinthians 18:2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I suppose I'm deeply suspicious of Messianicism or any kind of Hebrew roots movement in general.

Okay. Why do you think either of those things have anything to do with Ethiopian Christianity, though? That's where I am confused. Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Christians, like all Orthodox and Christians more generally, fully accept and worship Jesus Christ as the Messiah and Son of God. Their Hebraic roots, so far as I understand them, have more to do with lines of royal descent from the legendary first Emperor, Menelik I, who Ethiopian legend identifies as the offspring of Queen Makeda (of Sheba) and King Solomon of Israel than with any kind of fidelity to Judaism as a religion. Rather, all of the Orthodox Tewahedo claim that this same line was continued through the Emperor and the acceptance of Christianity as the religion of the empire. The Jews in Ethiopia had their own kingdoms established by their own rulers in other parts of the empire, and the two (the Jewish kingdom and the Axumite/Abyssinian/Ethiopian kingdoms) were often at war. Witness for instance that the one Jewish interlude in post-330 rule of Ethiopia came by the Queen Gudit (Judith), a Jewish queen who, with the backing of local pagans, attempted to overthrow the Axumite kings c. 960 and established a dynasty which lasted until Mara Takla Haymanot ended it in 1137, founding the Zagwe dynasty. The Zagwe dynasty was itself ended with its defeat by Emperor Yekuno Amlak, who is said to have 'restored' the Solomonic dynasty. Why is he said to have done that? To quote Wikipedia on the Zagwe dynasty: "Emperor Mara Tekla Haymanot's marriage and off-spring thereof makes him the only Emperor without known ties to the Biblical King Solomon and Makeda, the Queen of Sheba."

The emperors both before and after this time were all Orthodox Christians, as every emperor since 330 had been, but the Zagwe were not considered to be part of the Solomonic line because of a lack of ties of their founder to Menelik I, even though he overthrew the actually Jewish leader (usurper) of his time! A look into Ethiopian history and the relation of the Solomonic Dynasty to its Jewish subjects the Beta Israel shows no love lost between the two. In 1329, Emperor Amda Syon (enthronement name: Gebre Mesqel "Slave of the Cross") campaigned in the Northwestern provinces in which the Beta Israel lived and were apparently converting people to Judaism, ordering his troops to fight people "like Jews" (ከመ:አይሁድ kama ayhud).

I find it fascinating that Ethiopian Christians hold onto so many Jewish celebrations but also merge that with a Christian understanding which is rooted in Nicaea. The emphasis in the aforementioned groups is to induce in Christians a sense that the Sabbath law and Kosher laws are still binding on Christians to us today and that to violate them is a sin. That's a sort of understanding I can't get behind simply from my reading of the New Testament (Galatians) and the early Church. If individual Ethiopians are allowed to abstain from those practices and be regarded as full members of the Church then I would have little problem with this particular emphasis.

The Ethiopian Orthodox liturgy also contains a portion in the preparatory service in which it is proclaimed "Therefore let us not be circumcised like the Jews; we know that He Who had to fulfill the law and the prophets has already come." Yet they also practice circumcision (since at least the 9th century, as testified to in biography of HH Pope Yusab I in The History of the Patriarchs of Alexandria). In that case, it very well may be a Jewish influence, but as the liturgy as quoted above shows, it is not considered religiously binding. I assume that a lot of what they do that looks Jewish to outsiders might be considered similarly: Things that are kept or hypothesized as having been kept from ancient Jewish custom are given Christian interpretations not out of fidelity to Judaism as a religion, but out of an understanding that the coming of Christ is the fulfillment of the law of Moses.

I can find no fault in this, as of course all of our fathers have taught the same, whether they belong to the Ethiopians or any other community (since Christ our Lord said it Himself in Matthew 5:17). It's just that not all communities claim Jewish roots as a part of their imperial history as the descendants of the Axumites do. (The Copts don't say they were ever practitioners of Judaism, for instance, and yet the Orthodox Tewahedo are rightly known as the daughters of the Egyptian Church.)

Thank for you indulging me on the matter of Ethiopian saints. The reason I ask is because I think knowledge of a Church's saints tells us of it's character and what the people who adhere to it today believe.

Agreed.

Is this book you referenced?

http://www.stmichaeleoc.org/The_Ethiopian_Synaxarium.pdf It's quite large. What is it exactly? Is it like the Eastern Orthodox Synaxion? A book about the lives of the saints?

I don't know the Eastern Orthodox Synaxion (Synaxerion?), so I can't comment on that, but yes, it is a book of the lives of the saints.

Also are there any books by Ancient Ethiopian writers you are familiar with that represent the Ethiopian Church or do they share the same Coptic fathers equally as spiritual influences?

Both. There are Ethiopian books of this type, but they are difficult to find in English translation. The British Library's Endangered Archives project has sought to digitize the collection of Roger Cowley (a researcher on Ethiopian Church history who collected this material for 15 years in the country before his death in 1988) of the "Andemta" Biblical commentaries (see here), though I'm not sure if they're actually accessible to laypeople or if they're just available to researchers. You can read about the digitization project at this link. Those date from about the 14th century onward, so they aren't exactly ancient, but they do provide evidence of Biblical commentary as it had developed in Ethiopia up to that point. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the intricacies of the Ethiopian tradition to be able to say more than that. It is my understanding that a lot of earlier Ethiopic Christian literature is dependent on Coptic and Syriac sources (e.g., the Roger Pearse blog post mentions the existence of commentary of Mor Philoxenos of Mabbug found in the Andemta commentaries, and I know of manuscripts of Ge'ez-Coptic dictionaries dating from long after Coptic itself ceased to be spoken anywhere or used to produce new writings; they must've been using those dictionaries for something), so it is possible that it was not until a bit later that the Ethiopians developed their own unique genre of Biblical and Patristic commentary. Or it could be that earlier sources just aren't known outside of East Africa, or haven't preserved or properly identified (NB: the earlier-referenced Garima Gospels were once thought by western scholars to date to no earlier than the 11th century), or some other possibility. I really don't know.

The Corpus Scriptorum Christianorum Orientalium collection has an Ethiopian series which translates ancient writings relevant to that tradition into European languages, though I can't comment on it or its contents, since I don't own anything from that series. I own a few volumes of the Coptic and Syriac series, though, and those are professional critical translations, so I assume that the Ethiopian series follows suit.

Upvote 0