How do you rid yourself of temptation?

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No born again christian could possibly view the new covenant as you have mentioned, whether they believed I osas or whether they didnt

Many who have claimed being a Christian have done so.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's not fair... I want it to stop...

Do you really want the temptations to stop? If the temptations stopped, you would probably become prideful, assuming yourself to be self-sufficient and failing to rely on God. In this case, temptation might be the only thing keeping you from damnation.

St. Terese of Lisieux would thank God every time she found a new imperfection within herself. She was happy because in seeing the imperfection she saw another way in which she relied upon and clung to God. When God allows you to be tempted, he gives you the gift of being able to turn to him and trust anew. When God allows you to fall, he gives you the gift of being able to turn to him in hope, asking to be picked up.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter so much whether you achieved a kind of moral perfection or failed miserably to live up to God's commands. The more important thing is that you learn to rely on God rather than yourself, to turn to him in hope and to grow in love of him. God allows you to fall only so that you may love him all the more (Luke 7:36-50).

Be at peace and trust in the Lord. Your growth in moral perfection will come, do not obsess over it. Just turn anew to the Lord and keep him ever in mind. "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be in dread of them: for it is the Lord your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you" (Deut 31:6).

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to be clean, I want to be without sin.. I like the feeling I get right after prayer, It's like a clean pure feeling, But it does not last, Sooner or later temptation happens..

My sins and desires offend me, And even though I try to resist, it's not so simple, The flesh is wicked and it desires what it does. Is there a way to make temptation go away and never come back. I dislike my temptations, I want them to stop completely, forever..There is no need to go into detail. And lest I be judged, No man is without sin. But, I am offended by my wickedness, it pulls at me like a chain coming straight from hell. To know the love of God, And then to feel the pull of Satan,, It's unfair, God deserves better then me, And I want to do better. But the devil knows my weakness.. And I am weak. How can someone make temptation stop? It's like a sickness that does not go away..

A never ending battle, And I just want peace,...Please note, I am not insane, I am just very spiritual,, I promise, My sins are not that different from any other male,, most likely..

But its not fair that Satan gets to try, over and over and over again,, it's like I am a stone and he is a stone cutter.. He picks at me until I am weak. And I fall to temptation..
It's not fair... I want it to stop...

The only advise I have is prayer...ask for the help of Jesus...the One who was tempted in every way yet was without sin..and believe that He will hear you. It is for this purpose that He suffered, that is to help us when we are being tempted. See the following passages for your encouragement and to give you greater hope that you will be receiving help in your weakness.
Hebrews 2:14-18:
14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants. For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2016
Fl
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no way to completely stop sin or completely quit sinning that would mean you have achieved perfection which none of us can. Do not excuse yourself to sin but do what you've been doing but adjust where you point your emotions the devil is called the adversary for a reason. Instead of getting mad at yourself get mad at him anger is a justified emotion and as you continue to chastise him and undoubtably yourself you will notice over time it will become less and less because your repentance or turn from sin will become easier. Why? Because eventually you will grow tired of that that disgust you

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The above is not a good post. A person is born again as soon as the holy spirit enters their life. You cannot be a christian unless you are born again. The idea you get fully born again once you reach a certain standard of holiness denies the truth of the gospel message. Growth in the christian life is possible because Jesus died for your sins. He died to pay the penalty of your sin and to break the power of sin in your life. Jesus will be no ones saviour from sin unless they are born again. The two go hand in hand
You do NOT earn being born again by good behaviour, but by grace. Grace is not grace if it is earned.
"The idea you get fully born again once you reach a certain standard of holiness denies the truth of the gospel message."
It is possible to fall away. Who are the sons of perdition, are they followers of Satan? Where is Satan, but in the personal traits of every individual. This reaches right into the heart that is hard.

There needs to be an extraordinary inner change completed. It is obvious what most churches teach but the relevant scriptures are continually explained away.
There is no standard of holiness as such because it is by the Spirit and it is not measured by human constraints or understanding.
Does every person who has bad thoughts and then completes silly actions that are sin think they are complete? The prophet Samuel said rebellion is as the sin of witch craft to the anointed king Saul and how did he end up?
All mankind is rebellious and therefore commit the sin of witchcraft. The human mind bonds with other minds and this is why the scripture says be transformed by the renewing of the mind. Google the term hypnotic suggestion. Every personality is developed from life experience from the perspective of a rebellious nature. Predatory mind power looks for weakness and people often say to "harden up" and this is how every one is hard in the heart. Mind power has a supernatural component and the scripture relates the phrase "the prince of the power of the air".

It is in the mind and the feelings that are responses to sensory input affect the brain function and then electrical impulses and hormones. People kill each other in the normal hormonal range.
Mental illness is often regarded as an incorrect hormonal balance and is chemically changed.
Everyone learns to be comfortable with the person they are faults and bad, tempting thoughts excepted. I am well balanced enough to accept the person I am and it is a good place to be. I have safety and security but is that enough, the scriptures say that this is a dangerous place to be regarding salvation. Will I be spewed out, probably if there is no action.
The scriptures are about everything that actually exists in the real life.
The Bible translation is rendered the way it is and then interpreted and this has ensured its existence.
If the truth was actually known the Bible would have been destroyed.
Think about how the mind operates because this actually opens up the meaning of the scriptures.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2016
Fl
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are right to say you can lose your salvation and if your a new Christian always remember that. Jesus forgave and said go and sin no more not see you here next week. And the cold hard fact is you must keep this up till the flesh dies but you have a choice in the meantime. You can be angry the entire time and of course still be saved or accept the grace for what it is and smile brother he's got you as long as you give to him.we think life ain't fair but when you get to heaven you will see how fair he was brother. When you get angry let the devil have it and smile with God knowing that you will win with him

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no way to completely stop sin or completely quit sinning that would mean you have achieved perfection which none of us can. Do not excuse yourself to sin but do what you've been doing but adjust where you point your emotions the devil is called the adversary for a reason. Instead of getting mad at yourself get mad at him anger is a justified emotion and as you continue to chastise him and undoubtably yourself you will notice over time it will become less and less because your repentance or turn from sin will become easier. Why? Because eventually you will grow tired of that that disgust you

There is enough scripture to indicate there is a way to perfection and it is by the covering of the divine nature. There is a way to empty out by breaking inwardly as all own hindering personal traits are thrust away. The Love in the divine nature of Jesus is then energized by the indwelling of God.

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are right to say you can lose your salvation and if your a new Christian always remember that. Jesus forgave and said go and sin no more not see you here next week. And the cold hard fact is you must keep this up till the flesh dies but you have a choice in the meantime. You can be angry the entire time and of course still be saved or accept the grace for what it is and smile brother he's got you as long as you give to him.we think life ain't fair but when you get to heaven you will see how fair he was brother. When you get angry let the devil have it and smile with God knowing that you will win with him

Actually it could be worse for and old christian who has spread false doctrine and placed stumbling blocks in front of others. This denies progress and completed salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People forget to continue to walk with Jesus that's why saying once saved always saved is the most dangerous things our churches today our teaching
I agree
If an over view of scriptures is taken it doesn't make sense. Jesus has entered the most Holy Place and His people are welcome in as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That can only be achieved after the death of our flesh man cannot be perfect on earth. That's what Jesus died for. Read your bible not one is good but through his blood we can be good enough.our perfection is only achieved once we get to heaven it can't be done on earth
The man with human flesh cannot be perfect in his own power.
But there is a way , the way of holiness if taken up will achieve something that the natural mind cannot comprehend. It is the upward call.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That can only be achieved after the death of our flesh man cannot be perfect on earth. That's what Jesus died for. Read your bible not one is good but through his blood we can be good enough.our perfection is only achieved once we get to heaven it can't be done on earth
Jesus is returning and look up who he is coming to collect.

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Salvation is not perfection reread what I wrote.salvation is to accept Christ not being perfect only one fleshly being achieved perfection and that was Jesus and to imply man can be without sin and perfect in the flesh is the false doctoring you wrote about
Water baptism is the first step in salvation.

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All mankinds stumbling blocks are sin truth scares some people and they claim things like they are perfect because they are saved
Being saved is not in my vocabulary. It is not understood, but being perfect is when an individual is covered by the nature of Jesus, the Divine nature and God will energize the Love and it wells up from the inside and is not superficial.

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you really want the temptations to stop? If the temptations stopped, you would probably become prideful, assuming yourself to be self-sufficient and failing to rely on God. In this case, temptation might be the only thing keeping you from damnation.

St. Terese of Lisieux would thank God every time she found a new imperfection within herself. She was happy because in seeing the imperfection she saw another way in which she relied upon and clung to God. When God allows you to be tempted, he gives you the gift of being able to turn to him and trust anew. When God allows you to fall, he gives you the gift of being able to turn to him in hope, asking to be picked up.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter so much whether you achieved a kind of moral perfection or failed miserably to live up to God's commands. The more important thing is that you learn to rely on God rather than yourself, to turn to him in hope and to grow in love of him. God allows you to fall only so that you may love him all the more (Luke 7:36-50).

Be at peace and trust in the Lord. Your growth in moral perfection will come, do not obsess over it. Just turn anew to the Lord and keep him ever in mind. "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear or be in dread of them: for it is the Lord your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you" (Deut 31:6).

Being prideful is the working of Satan in the personality as his demons place temptation on the trait within. Pride is usually apparent in a self willed individual.

Upvote 0