Gregory Mallett

Jul 27, 2016
Saskatchewan
✟7,986.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Something that helped me was being more alert to the 'near occasion of sin'. It means to be alert for my thoughts starting to go down the wrong path and reverse course early.

Exactly! We need to reject any thought or action that leads to sin, sometimes to the extreme level. That includes undergoing activities that might in themselves not be sinful, but could lead to sin.

Upvote 0

Sundown

No title
Apr 17, 2016
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟8,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello, Gregory Mallett! I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to CF! I hope that you are blessed by being here.

Some good points too - if one is in a weak state against a particular temptation, it is a good idea not to place ourselves in a position to fail. But above all, yes, the presence of God. Except wait ... I think I actually misunderstood you there. ;) I was thinking for a moment you meant that keeping an awareness of God and a connection to Him is a good antidote. Which it is, in fact, and partly for the reason you mention. :) But you mention something that folks seem to seldom take into account - realizing that God sees every sin. It's easier to sin if we push Him out of our awareness and at least don't have the SENSE that He is watching, but of course He sees all, so never can we do anything in secret from Him.

Anyway - welcome to CF! We're glad that you've joined us. :) And if you have any questions or need help navigating the forums, please don't hesitate to ask. :)[/QUOTE

I understand about the adversary, but because one is conceived in sin one makes their own decision if they want to be indulge in sin. One needs to take full responsibility and face the consequence for what they did and stop blaming to relieve themselves from taking full responsibility.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand about the adversary, but because one is conceived in sin one makes their own decision if they want to be indulge in sin. One needs to take full responsibility and face the consequence for what they did and stop blaming to relieve themselves from taking full responsibility.

Absolutely. Please forgive me if I somehow gave any impression to the contrary. We certainly must take responsibility for our own sins.

I only meant (by what I said in the post you quoted) that it is wise to be aware of our weaknesses and not essentially see how close we can walk on the edge of the cliff and not fall off. It is foolish to expose ourselves to situations that tempt us.

That doesn't even really need the adversary to put any effort at all into tempting us. That's just us being foolish. And we shouldn't do it.

However, while I do certainly agree that we must take responsibility for our own sins, it is also wise to know the tactics employed by the enemy, and be on guard against them. To be unaware is to be unarmed, and there us no need or excuse for us to be so.

We ought to do all we know how to do, at all times, to best follow Christ and be formed into His likeness.

But I certainly didn't mean by saying those things that we can excuse our own sins. Not by any means.

God be with you! :)

Upvote 0

Sundown

No title
Apr 17, 2016
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟8,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Absolutely. Please forgive me if I somehow gave any impression to the contrary. We certainly must take responsibility for our own sins.

I only meant (by what I said in the post you quoted) that it is wise to be aware of our weaknesses and not essentially see how close we can walk on the edge of the cliff and not fall off. It is foolish to expose ourselves to situations that tempt us.

That doesn't even really need the adversary to put any effort at all into tempting us. That's just us being foolish. And we shouldn't do it.

However, while I do certainly agree that we must take responsibility for our own sins, it is also wise to know the tactics employed by the enemy, and be on guard against them. To be unaware is to be unarmed, and there us no need or excuse for us to be so.

We ought to do all we know how to do, at all times, to best follow Christ and be formed into His likeness.

But I certainly didn't mean by saying those things that we can excuse our own sins. Not by any means.

God be with you! :)

I know you did not mean it to come out that way and I knew what you was actually saying, but sometimes it is good to respond the way I did to bring to attention that we need to be careful in giving the impression that one should not be fully blamed. So, there is not need to forgive, you did nothing wrong. We just need to make it clear to others that one need to stop blaming others when they are putting themselves in a position to indulge in sin. We need to encourage to guard our hearts which is vulnerable.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know you did not mean it to come out that way and I knew what you was actually saying, but sometimes it is good to respond the way I did to bring to attention that we need to be careful in giving the impression that one should not be fully blamed. So, there is not need to forgive, you did nothing wrong. We just need to make it clear to others that one need to stop blaming others when they are putting themselves in a position to indulge in sin. We need to encourage to guard our hearts which is vulnerable.
It's always good to be thinking and make things more plain. And to avoid any possible misunderstanding. Thank you! :)

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Shadowprophet. How do you rid yourself of temptation? Jesus gave us a perfect answer. " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it:
love thy neighbour as thyself." Love is very catching, and love helps us to overcome all envy and jealous feelings.
In Matthew 22: 35-40: we are told: " Ask and you shall receive," we ask God for Love and Joy, then we thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour. (neighbour is all we know and meet, friends and not friends) We keep asking and receiving, then thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour.
The Bible tells us: give up our selfish wishes and desires, and start loving and caring, be kind and always friendly.
God will see our loving efforts, and God will Bless us. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on be nice and kind and loving.
The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way, JESUS IS THE WAY.
To love is easy to remember, and love will change all of us. God is Love, and God wants loving men and women.
Let us gradually change into the children which God wants us to be, and Heaven will receive us with open arms,
love will overcome all wrong and adversities. I say this with love, Shadowprophet. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a different take on temptation.

There are two kingdoms in existence. Light and Darkness. Everything good comes from God who is of the Kingdom of light. Anything selfish, unloving and evil comes from the Kingdom of Darkness.

When you become one with Christ you have decided to enter the Kingdom of light.
If you sin then you are going back to the Kingdom of Darkness.
Its just like if your wife called up an old ex every time you had a disagreement.
You cannot do that. You are either in or out.

So, are you in or out?

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Temptation is an ever present factor in the lives of all those who are decedent of Adam, Actually, even angels are subject to temptation if they choose to delve on the wrong thoughts just as Lucifer did. James explains exactly how that mental process works. They way to reduce this is to do as the Bible recommends, to strive to fill the mind always with things which God approves. It takes great effort and would be impossible if it were not for the help of God's helper the holy spirit which strengthens Christians to succeed where they would otherwise woefully fail. Even then it is a struggle but one can prevail via constant prayer for assistance.

Phil 4:
7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think on these things. 9Whatever you have learned and received and heard from me, and seen in me, put these things into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.…

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
The Lord's Prayer is very nice for this.

There are three mysteries,

Loosing of all evil and junk from your soul,

Calling the Hosts of Heaven to war on your behalf,

Asking for and receiving Grace for a day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums