How do you respond when God doesn't come through?

Hockey_Fan

Man of Mystery
Jan 3, 2009
✟9,002.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Background: Over the past number of years, I have been on a journey of sort of learning to trust God with my future. Specifically, I gave God two very specific goals/requests/dreams that I wanted to see come to pass in my life and committed to trust God in these, not having the slightest idea of how it might unfold.

Over the years, I prayed, worked, prayed, believed, prayed and trusted to the best of my ability. For whatever reasons, the things I sought did not come to pass in my life and there is no changing what has happened. At this point in my life, I am completely devastated beyond what words can express. It feels like life is no longer worth living.

I am certain that I am not the only one who has ever experienced this sort of thing and am wondering how you dealt with or are dealing with it.

Guy Incognito

Matt 6:25-34
Sep 27, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟73,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Honestly, I just toss it over to God.

I admit to him that I don't know why it didn't go down the way I wanted it to, but I tell him I'll trust that he knew better.

And then usually a couple months down the road, something involving what I was praying for will cross me, and it will make me realise that God was definately right in not giving me what I was asking.

Seriously, it can be frustrating, but always trust God, because at some point you'll realise/see why you weren't put down that path.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The only time in my life that sounds like that is when I projected a great desire of mine onto God. What I took away from that is not to put words in God's mouth, not to expect from him something he was never beholden to give me in the first place. Some things are in fact promised in Scripture, others are not. Don't treat what is not promised as though it were promised.

Upvote 0

havana16

Oct 16, 2008
baltimore md
✟482.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Or perhaps God did not respond to you, because He know that you could achieve by yourself instead of having Him do all the work.

If its a spouse you want or relationship you do realise you must first be happy with yourself and be financially secure - and that could be done if you work working on it rather waiting for God to do something for you

It's like asking God to do an exam for you

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There isn't a time in the history of this world, since the beginning of creation, when God didn't come through. His ways are not our ways, His thoughts are higher than our thoughts... What we think might be a good thing that we must do, and we have a desire to do, He may be withholding that from us for a very important and very good reason. But God never fails us or lets us down, He knows our needs and desires better than we do. If you can trust in Him, you'll find comfort that if things don't work out the way you want them to, at least they are working out the way He planned.

Upvote 0

lostaquarium

Quite flawed
Dec 23, 2008
London
✟20,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I pray hard for something, I always add "... if it pleases you". Because things we're convinced are good for us are sometimes not good for us. So I'm never too disappointed when I don't get something, even if I think I deserve it, because God knows better than I do.

Upvote 0

Balugon

o( ' . ' )o
Jul 18, 2005
The Looking Glass
✟32,114.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
"30 "I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none." Ezekiel 22:30

There are a lot of reasons things in our life that we would like to see happen don't happen. Sometimes God prevents things from happening because those things aren't the best for us. Sometimes certain things happen simply because some person somewhere, or a group of people (in the past or present), chose to sin instead of choosing to do what was right. It is complicated. It doesn't mean that God isn't good, and it doesn't mean that what you asked for God denied. It simply means it didn't happen and you have to continue to believe that God wants good, regardless of whether bad happens or not.

What I do in my circumstances is simply acknowledge God's goodness, acknowledge that he wants me blessed and satisfied, and then also acknowledge that even though I did not get what I want, that I'm not gonna give up continuing to pursue things that I know are good (holy) and loving, and that the Bible makes clear are the type of things that God wants me to have. Just because there is a lot of evil in the world and a lot of brokenness, doesn't mean God wants things broken. God doesn't want anyone to go to Hell. And so I choose to continue to press on, and continue to pursue holiness, to pursue pressing God to make things heavenly and lovely in the world again (changing people's hearts necessary in this), because I know that as I do, even if I don't see it with my own eyes, I may be sparing someone else at some point in time some evil that God never wanted to befall them. Eventually I'll rest in that perfectly heavenly peace when God drops the bomb on Satan in the end, but until then I'm gonna fight to make the world I'm living in the heavenly place that it's supposed to be.

Upvote 0

BarelyBreathing

Everything is Beautiful
Sep 1, 2009
Middle of nowhere
✟18,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The only time in my life that sounds like that is when I projected a great desire of mine onto God. What I took away from that is not to put words in God's mouth, not to expect from him something he was never beholden to give me in the first place. Some things are in fact promised in Scripture, others are not. Don't treat what is not promised as though it were promised.

Mostly all this.

I believe that God has promised to supply all our needs, not all out wants. This does not mean that he will never give us what we want. It means that we are not to take it for granted and expect it of him. He knows better than we do what is best for us.

Upvote 0

ulu

Sep 15, 2005
underground
✟12,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If its a spouse you want or relationship you do realise you must first be happy with yourself and be financially secure -

There are many (especially young) women who will be with a guy who's not financially secure. With age comes the tendency to try to love with the head and not the heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm really sorry you're feeling so low, Hockey. Here's a :hug: for you.

I don't think God ever fails to come through for us. Sometimes things don't turn out the way we want or expect, but it isn't because God has abandoned us or failed us. God never fails, and He never abandons His children. Remember, the testing of your faith produces patience, character, and hope, IF you allow it to.

I wish I could help more. Chin up.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Background: Over the past number of years, I have been on a journey of sort of learning to trust God with my future. Specifically, I gave God two very specific goals/requests/dreams that I wanted to see come to pass in my life and committed to trust God in these, not having the slightest idea of how it might unfold.

Over the years, I prayed, worked, prayed, believed, prayed and trusted to the best of my ability. For whatever reasons, the things I sought did not come to pass in my life and there is no changing what has happened. At this point in my life, I am completely devastated beyond what words can express. It feels like life is no longer worth living.

I am certain that I am not the only one who has ever experienced this sort of thing and am wondering how you dealt with or are dealing with it.

sounds to me as if God may want you seek the life He has planned for you rather than just giving you the life you think you want. You can tell Him until you're blue in the face what you want out of life, but nothing obligates Him to bend to your will. He's the Lord and King and we are the servants after all :)

Upvote 0

Justin.Parton

Minister Justin Parton
Nov 10, 2008
To hard to Tell
Visit site
✟8,104.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My spiritual mother always tells me.

if you give god your life, and your expectations...he will always give back your dreams and desires.

and it depends on the dreams and desires, do these contradict what god has planned for your life according to his will. because if they are not, then ive always known god to manifest those when the right time has come. but if they do contradict, you have to be willing to give them up for God. in which case, god will always present you with a dream and desire you never knew you had.

remember, in Gods eyes, hands, and will. Nothing is to late to manifest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I've learned that God knows what He's doing. When things are happening (or aren't happening) and I don't like it, I remember that.

Upvote 0

Brad2009

Feb 10, 2009
USA
✟9,437.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

+1

Upvote 0

BRISH

Loved
Jun 16, 2009
✟15,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Background: I am completely devastated beyond what words can express. It feels like life is no longer worth living.

I'm kind of at a loss for words....because I know how that feels. I know what it's like to face "reality" like this.

All I can say is that if you turn to worldly things to try and sooth your mind and your heart, then this bottom of the pit thing only gets worse.

I've learned, that some of the things I've prayed/dreamed about over the years that I didn't feel had come to pass, that some of them actually did but just not in the way I thought they would. The rest of it....I've just given up to God and have literally made them things I don't even think about. You'll drive yourself crazy otherwise. I've come to terms in this way:

He will grant us our wishes either now or later. If not, then He will fill those voids with something else. I've just honestly gotten to the point that I don't hold any expectations or wishes. That kind of life, combined with the fact that we are naturally impatient and longing for certain things "here, is just taking on more stress. Easier said than done..yes...I know. Also, time can heal and clear alot of things up. Just don't know what to really tell you other than to avoid certain things, and to keep your chin up. Our paths are revealed to us in the way God wants them to be revealed. My biggest prayer for myself at my lowest was not to have things granted, but just to have peace about everything. I just wanted to not feel like I was in a storm anymore. I don't know how else to say it.

Prayers for you...

Upvote 0

Hog Red

Narrow Minded
Jul 29, 2008
Arkansas
✟8,133.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i remember as a kid wanting a motorcycle. all of my friends had one and the best i could do was a bicycle with baseball cards on the spokes (yes I'm old) anyway for years i questioned whether or not my parents cared about or loved me because they refused to get me one. sounds stupid but when your a kid you think that way. anyway, riding to school one day we passed a bus that was stopped in the middle of the street and behind it was a pair of shoes and a mangled motorcycle that looked familiar to me. my best friend had been killed instantly in a head on collision with the school bus. after his funeral i thanked my parents for not giving in to me. i never wanted one after that.

Upvote 0