How do you like to dress for church?

How do you like to dress for church?

• I dress formally or "business casual." I believe we should look our best for the Lord.

• I wear very casual clothes, but I make sure they are clean and in good repair.

• I don't care what I wear to church, even if it has stains or rips.

• Other. I'll explain in the thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"A group from church, out soul-winning, had encountered a very poor man who dressed in rags. He was eager for the message, but they told him he could not come to church dressed like that. Did he have friends who could loan him a suit and tie? He did not, so he was not welcome to attend church, much to his disappointment."

And it was probably a Good thing that he didn't get into that "church" - since it obviously wasn't one.

Texas, of course, tends to be casual, and since I'm a Deacon, I'll generally wear clean clothes for Sunday morning - shirt and pants. I don't shave since I wear a full beard and mustache. But for the other 2-3 weekly get togethers, I just wear work clothes. My Wife says I'm a "Hillbilly". I think she's right.

AN Usher at our place who acted in such a blatantly non-Christian manner would be an EX-usher as soon as we found out about it.

I think if they were so anxious to see him dressed "properly," they should have offered to buy him a suit.

But THAT, of course, would have required them to "Act" Christian, and considering the condition of their "church" - not likely.
Amen, Bob!

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We very deliberately dress very casually at the Vineyard. And there is a reason for this. As with the Calvary Chapels (from which we evolved) the church was started mainly for Hippies. They were being turned away at the doors of most churches back in the 60's because they did not meet the required dress codes for those folks.

We continue the practice of being very sure no one feels they cannot come right into our buildings with whatever they have on. This is a very important thing to us since the majority of our outreach is to poorer folks and the homeless.

I think I have seen maybe three dress jackets at the Vineyard, and they were on visitors.

This brought back what my old pastor said back in the 80's....."The church still owes a apology to the hippies of the 60's for the way they treated them."

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This brought back what my old pastor said back in the 80's....."The church still owes a apology to the hippies of the 60's for the way they treated them."
Actually, maybe not. Because without the self-righteous persecution, Calvary Chapels and the Vineyard might not have been birthed.

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Actually, maybe not. Because without the self-righteous persecution, Calvary Chapels and the Vineyard might not have been birthed.

If not for self-righteous persecution, such places wouldn't have been needed to begin with though. I mean, I see your point, and don't necessarily disagree - but wouldn't it be better had such places not been needed at all?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If not for self-righteous persecution, such places wouldn't have been needed to begin with though. I mean, I see your point, and don't necessarily disagree - but wouldn't it be better had such places not been needed at all?

It certainly wasn't just about clothing, however.

Now, the best congregation I ever attended--one I still brag about having been a member of--was Calvary Chapel of Honolulu. It wasn't just the dress code that makes the difference.

Upvote 0

MaidforHim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
✟21,263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I voted "Other"

It really depends on what else is going on... If we're going on a picnic after church I'd dress more casual, but neat/clean. Sometimes I like to dress up, but I don't go too far in the dressy direction because I think new comers would feel more comfortable if others looked relaxed and welcoming and won't feel like they are being judged by their appearance since what is dressy for one is not necessarily dressy for another.

I don't like it when going to church seems to become a fashion show for some people, I think it detracts from the reason for being there. Thankfully I go to a come as you are church, if you just got off work and are wearing your work clothes your welcome and can feel comfortable there, sometimes you even see folks from the Airforce base in their jump suits and I think it's inspiring to see they made the time to be there. God meets us where we are at and I think the whole point is worshiping God and learning His word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wear the best I have, which right now is fairly simple. A longish skirt and a sweater or t-shirt type blouse with nice collar. My husband wears slacks and a button-down shirt. I do focus on being neat and decently groomed and modest.

I've been in a lot of different kinds of churches though. I tend to feel underdressed at some large metropolitan area churches where all the men wear suits and the women skirt suits. Maybe I'm just self-conscious, but I tend to feel I'm being judged for my clothing.

I've also been to "cowboy churches" when living on the farm. Work never stops, and if a baby goat escapes the pasture on Sunday morning, you have to catch it and put it up before rushing off on the 40-mile drive to church. I wore a skirt when I could, but many showed up in jeans and work-boots they'd worked in that morning. That was life out there, and I had no problem with it. The sun and the chores determine your schedule.

I've also been in "anything goes" churches where maybe I am guilty of being critical, but I saw people in bathing suits once, and often saw girls in tight low-cut and short-skirted clothing shimmying to the worship music. I'm a woman and I found it distracting - I have a hard time accepting the men in the row behind these girls didn't sometimes struggle with their eyes during worship.

I guess I have a lot of opinions lol.

But I agree that the people who would turn away the man for having only rags to wear should buy him a suit. We have several large missions here that take people in, get them off drugs, train them, clothe them, get them jobs. They run thrift stores too so others can clothe themselves. It shouldn't be difficult to provide a suit from donated clothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It depends on the service. If it is a weekday service like Matins at 7:00 a.m. or an early morning liturgy (or Vespers around 6:00 p.m.) then I'll be dressed according to how I need to be dressed to go about my day. If it is Divine Liturgy on Sunday then I'll wear more of the traditional dress clothes one would expect. Either way, modesty and cleanliness is more important.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2013
✟7,646.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I try to dress more conservatively. I don't really wear dress suits or anything and I've never worn pants on a Sunday (only on wednesday night/fun church functions). I don't think anyone should be turned away but I do think it is the purpose of the older women/men to teach the youngsters how to dress. For example, some women wear fairly revealing clothes or what I like to call nightclub clothes and some men sag their pants. I think the girl could find a shirt that covers her chest and the guy could pull up his pants but again they shouldn't be rejected from the church house. I guess in a nutshell I do think someone can dress inappropriately especially if it draws attention to...undesirable locations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rev55

Jul 24, 2013
✟7,819.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I teach and preach fairly often so I feel I should be well dressed. I visited a church once and the preacher was wearing flip flops, jeans and a St.Louis Cardinals t-shirt, just my opinion but that doesn't show much respect for what he has been called to do. Of course this was far from being a conservative church and that may have been the leas disturbing thing about that church lol

Upvote 0

Wolftone

Apr 29, 2013
Under your stairs
✟16,046.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I teach and preach fairly often so I feel I should be well dressed. I visited a church once and the preacher was wearing flip flops, jeans and a St.Louis Cardinals t-shirt, just my opinion but that doesn't show much respect for what he has been called to do. Of course this was far from being a conservative church and that may have been the leas disturbing thing about that church lol

Do you think God judges us on what we wear? Weren't we born naked in his sight?

God is interested in what is in our hearts not on our backs. As far as we know Jesus himself wore no finery and there is no biblical reference to having to dress well. In fact, dressing well is vanity and a temptation to covet for others.

1 Samuel 16:7

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

Upvote 0

Wolftone

Apr 29, 2013
Under your stairs
✟16,046.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I go to church usually in jeans and a tshirt. I'm not there to impress anyone. I'm there to hear and learn more about God and the Bible. To be able to worship Him. I highly doubt God cares if I choose to do this in jeans and a shirt

Amen. The Lord will, I am sure, bless you for that. :)

Upvote 0

ChangedByHim

Bondservant
Jan 1, 2014
Arizona
Visit site
✟15,167.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I mix it up, but normally wear a casual dress shirt (untucked), nice jeans and a sport jacket. And I'm the pastor.

If Jesus was on the earth, I don't believe that He would be wearing a suit/tie. That's just my opinion.

Btw, for years I wore a suit/tie and still do only if the mood strikes me, not because of religious expectations.

Upvote 0

ChangedByHim

Bondservant
Jan 1, 2014
Arizona
Visit site
✟15,167.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

How could God ever use such a man?! :eek:

Upvote 0