How do you like to dress for church?

How do you like to dress for church?

• I dress formally or "business casual." I believe we should look our best for the Lord.

• I wear very casual clothes, but I make sure they are clean and in good repair.

• I don't care what I wear to church, even if it has stains or rips.

• Other. I'll explain in the thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rev55

Jul 24, 2013
✟7,819.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I should have added It has nothing to do with how God views us its how man views man. In general people respect a well dressed man better than a guy dressed like he is hanging out with his friends. This is all opinion of course but if you don't see my point dress in your favorite jeans and a t-shirt for your next interview.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I should have added It has nothing to do with how God views us its how man views man. In general people respect a well dressed man better than a guy dressed like he is hanging out with his friends. This is all opinion of course but if you don't see my point dress in your favorite jeans and a t-shirt for your next interview.
Yes, I remember Jesus telling us that this was very important.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I remember Jesus telling us that this was very important.

I see your point with this- however- is the solution to intentionally go about looking as scuzzy as possible just because you think you have the freedom to do so? I'm not saying you do this- but when I see counter arguments to the argument that one should dress their best- I generally picture people doing exactly that.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see your point with this- however- is the solution to intentionally go about looking as scuzzy as possible just because you think you have the freedom to do so? I'm not saying you do this- but when I see counter arguments to the argument that one should dress their best- I generally picture people doing exactly that.
I don't think anyone has mentioned trying to look scuzzy... except you. Maybe I missed that post.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think anyone has mentioned trying to look scuzzy... except you. Maybe I missed that post.

The real point is dressing as respectfully and modestly as you can- whatever that is. However- I think especially recently- there are many who intentionally do neither. At least- that is the impression I get from reading numerous internet threads every time this subject comes up when people disdain those who like to dress nicely.

In fact, when a preacher goes out of his way to dress in flip flops, I find it lacking in respect. It's the exact opposite of the person who places too much emphasis on designer duds and disdains someone who may walk in off the street in rags. Two sides of the same coin.

Upvote 0

Rachel96

May 23, 2013
Australia
✟18,466.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wear the sort of thing I wear all the time - usually either a nice cape dress, or a nice skirt and blouse. (I have some clothing that I'd never wear out of the house, it's just for cleaning and gardening, so I wouldn't ever wear that to church, either). I suppose I dress pretty formally most of the time, but what I wear can pretty much be worn in any social situation and fit in. I do think it's important not to wear something scruffy and dirty to church, but then again, I think it's good to be neat and clean all the time. Our bodies are a temple to the Lord, no? He lives in us? We should take care of our appearance all the time, not just on one day of the week.

Upvote 0
D

Di1533

Since I voted I thought I toss in my 2 cents.

I dress nice for church. Although my pastor wears a button shirt and jeans. Some people are super dressy, in suits and ties. But I like to dress nice. But I wouldn't be able to attend a church that turns people away because of how they look/dress/smell or whatever! God accepts us as we are, homeless, broken, smelly, clean, rich or poor. It doesn't matter to Him and shouldn't matter to us.

In my opinion God doesn't have a dress code and we shouldn't either.

Upvote 0

Wolftone

Apr 29, 2013
Under your stairs
✟16,046.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Since I voted I thought I toss in my 2 cents.

I dress nice for church. Although my pastor wears a button shirt and jeans. Some people are super dressy, in suits and ties. But I like to dress nice. But I wouldn't be able to attend a church that turns people away because of how they look/dress/smell or whatever! God accepts us as we are, homeless, broken, smelly, clean, rich or poor. It doesn't matter to Him and shouldn't matter to us.

In my opinion God doesn't have a dress code and we shouldn't either.

Good answer!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Thekla

This brought back what my old pastor said back in the 80's....."The church still owes a apology to the hippies of the 60's for the way they treated them."

I recall that era ;)

My dad (a minister) found out that a greeter turned away a young man he found "inappropriately" dressed.

He spoke with the greeter at length, and they were able to compromise that F. could keep a tie available to offer to those who wanted to wear it (but could not further question people's dress).

And I think this was lovely -- as people like F. need Christ as much as the visitor whose dress concerned him. I personally know that F. (an "upright citizen" and WW II veteran) like all of us had his own struggles. In short, my dad's concern was that we need to minister to all people - the "hippy" and people like F.

In this, one might remember that what offends us (what we consider "inappropriate dress" in either direction, or what we perceive to be a slight directed at us - similar issues imo) may be our own spiritual shortcoming rather than the other person's (ie we cannot 'make room' for their shortcomings, or our shortcomings lead also to misinterpreting the situation incorrectly).

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
May 20, 2012
Chicago
✟8,041.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I was raised Catholic so when I go to church I generally wear dresses, because that's what we always wore to church. Everyone else is wearing jeans and t-shirts, but I'm comfortable in what I'm wearing.

That being said, I picked the selection other.

I work in the children ministry in the infant room, 6 weeks to 1 year olds.

For safety measures and practical reasons we wear uniforms. Everyone can identify us as working with children and it's more practical for being on the floor, changing diapers, and being spit up on.

All this being said, I don't pay much attention to what people are wearing. I've noticed some families dress nicer than others, but you can wear what you want, doesn't bother me (As long as you are not dressed in a provocative manner.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are your thoughts?

That we should be modestly attired according to our culture and the people around us (within reason). Beyond that, I don't think God gives a flip if you're wearing a tshirt and jeans or a tuxedo. I don't even own a dress, I wear a tshirt and jeans 99.9% of the time, including at work (we're allowed, thankfully). The only time I wear anything "dressy" would be for job interviews, weddings, funerals, etc; because it's required, not because I want to impress anyone. Otherwise, jeans and tshirts. It's who I am.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I like to dress up. It's not to impress anyone. But, since I have nice clothes, I make the effort to put them on for The Lord. But, this is a personal choice. Therefore...

1) I don't think anyone should look down on anyone else for "lesser" dress wear.

2) I also don't think anyone should be critical of anyone else for "dressing up".

3) Therefore, no church, pastor, elder, or other Christian should mandate any dress code for corporate worship.

I think Romans 14 is a good chapter to read for this topic. "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind."

Upvote 0

Cardiffgurl21

Feb 26, 2014
Wales
✟15,198.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yay for this thread!! :) :) On another thread I posted someone mentioned not all churches standing by there come as you are claims. Last week I had a not so great reaction off someone and could well have been what I was wearing. I'm in my early 20's so my style can be a little quirky.I was wearing a mini dress and 'boyfriend' cardie with blue jeans that were a little ripped on the bottom, red converse and a chunky knit scarf. All my smart clothes are summery or too formal.

Anyhoo I realized this may be a tad disrespectful so went shopping today. Brought a long brown suede skirt cute flats and some tops. Tomorrow I am trying to dress smarter but can't decide between a brown silk blouse or a white one with a red crochet cardigan. What do you lovely people think? :p

The story about the homeless man was very sad, If those rags were all he had they were his 'Sunday Best' and I'm sure God knew this. I worry about what I wear by would never judge someone else what ever they wore to church.

Some people are afraid of looking like they are trying to be something their not by dressing up. Poor planning can also be an issue for not showing up smart (it is in our case!!) then it's a case of thinking turning up a bit scruffy is better than not turning up at all. Though I know church should be our weeks biggest priority.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I try to dress more conservatively. I don't really wear dress suits or anything and I've never worn pants on a Sunday (only on wednesday night/fun church functions). I don't think anyone should be turned away but I do think it is the purpose of the older women/men to teach the youngsters how to dress. For example, some women wear fairly revealing clothes or what I like to call nightclub clothes and some men sag their pants. I think the girl could find a shirt that covers her chest and the guy could pull up his pants but again they shouldn't be rejected from the church house. I guess in a nutshell I do think someone can dress inappropriately especially if it draws attention to...undesirable locations.

A lot of it is a matter of exercising plain, common sense. Sometimes this is in short supply.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think Romans 14 is a good chapter to read for this topic. "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind."

But before you get to Romans 14, you have to go through Romans 12:

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. To not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. -- Romans 12

The "mind" of Romans 14 is the mind that has been transformed to the pattern of the mind of Christ, not the pattern of the world.

Upvote 0