How do you like to dress for church?

How do you like to dress for church?

• I dress formally or "business casual." I believe we should look our best for the Lord.

• I wear very casual clothes, but I make sure they are clean and in good repair.

• I don't care what I wear to church, even if it has stains or rips.

• Other. I'll explain in the thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If attending a friend’s church, I wear a business suit, or morning wear if it is a formal wedding. Otherwise, at my own church, I wear either a cassock or a shirt with a clerical collar and vestments, which can range from an Anglican style surplice and tippet for preaching services, to an alb and stole for a service preceding the Eucharist, and then a cope or chasuble, which is usually of the Eastern variety (I particularly like the Byzantine and West Syriac chasubles, and in the East Syriac tradition they usually use a Western cope as a chasuble, but I also have some Roman “fiddleback” and Gothic chasubles, some of which match certain copes I have. I will sometimes change from the cope to a chasuble at the end of the Liturgy of the Word (whereas Roman Catholic priests usually change from Cope to Chasuble after the Introit and Asperges and prayers at the foot of the Altar, in the Tridentine Mass).

I also wear a shirt with a clerical collar when in public on occasions when I deem it would be appropriate, or for chaplaincy. I have a lot of stoles, but am considering getting a pair of reversible stoles for chaplaincy services. However one of my two cassocks is having a structural failure and the other doesn’t fit right, so this week I am ordering a replacement.

Upvote 0

Arctangent

May 28, 2022
Midwest
✟26,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My focus for myself and my family is to dress modestly in a way that isn't a distraction (and certain ways of being "overly modest" could be distracting, so I also emphasize looking "normal"). I normally wear pants and a long sleeve shirt. My pants are usually khakis, but sometimes not.

Reactions: valerina
Upvote 0

valerina

From Europe to the United States
Oct 3, 2021
New York
✟22,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I like to "dress-up" as it were, when I go out. When I go to church, I dress more matronly than casual. I am still guilty of distracting others, but it is not due to the way I dress or act towards them from what I can tell. Every day I am learning how to better approach the world.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow. Just for the record, I can't *believe* this thread is still going! Amazing.

I've relaxed my views a bit over the years since starting this thread. I still lean toward business casual, but my definition of it has gotten less business, more casual. Still couldn't bring myself to wear a t-shirt and jeans, but I wouldn't be shocked, offended, or even surprised if somebody else did. I may wear a dress, but I no longer wear blouses and skirts. It took me a while to realize, that look visually cuts me in half at the waist, and along with the skirt flaring out, well, I just don't need to appear any wider than I already am. A tunic and leggings would please me just fine, if the tunic is long enough so that the leggings don't look like I'm wearing them as pants. Allowing for my body type, that's the style I've been gravitating toward.

Hubby's church style has not changed, but then his style in general never does. Think the Professor from Gilligan's Island, or Jamie Hyneman from MythBusters. Don't they look like they are always wearing the same outfit? Hubby's the same way. As his mother confirms, fashion is something he has never given two hoots about. And that's OK. He keeps himself and his clothes clean, and makes sure there are no stains, rips, or wrinkles. That's more important than how formal or dressy the clothes are. Even when we got married, he didn't wear a suit or a tie. He doesn't even own any. He hates them. And again, that's OK. It was his wedding too. I wasn't going to tell him what he had to put on.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I was thinking of starting a thread on this topic, but I see it isn't necessary. I was a Mormon for many years. They were very strict, but I haven't been there in decades and don't know what the rules are now. It's definitely a cult with extrabiblical doctrine. Afterwards my husband and I definitely didn't agree on doctrine or denomination. That was frustrating. I heard women criticize Mennonites and didn't understand their reasons. They claimed that Mennonites must think they are holier than others. But which of us knows what someoine else is thinking if that person doesn't tell you? One lady said a Mennonite can't bring others to Christ dressed like that. I heard a lot of criticism based on how a person dressed.

In the seventies I knew that Mormon women were not supposed to wear slacks to church. There wasn't a rule but all the women had had short layered hair. It was difficult in the sixties and early seventies to buy a dress that reached the knees. The Mormon women looked as if they were secretaries or receptionists. Did they save clothes from the early sixties or were they excellent seamstresses? I never knew. Nearly all the men wore suits and white shirts and ties; they were clean shaven and had short hair.

During the Depression my grandmother's aunt stayed home and played hymns because she didn't have a "nice" dress.

I learned along the way that a lot of Mennonite women wore only dresses or skirts and blouses so as not to wear men's clothing. That prompted me to wonder why slacks were considered men's clothing.
I've never seen a painting that depicts Jesus in slacks.

Churches are filled with people who have opinions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up, the norm in the Southern Baptist church we attended was to wear your best. For some, that meant suit and tie. For others, that meant their newest pair of overalls, clean and ironed, with a clean and ironed shirt. For a long time I wore a suit and tie. When I met my wife-to-be and attended her church, I did so as well, but most men there didn't. Fast-forward several decades later, and I tend to wear what would be called casual, but not very casual, and always clean. That seems to be the average in the local culture now.

For occasions like weddings and usually for funerals, I still wear a suit and tie. The last funeral I attended was for a coworker, and the request was to come in our work clothes (clean, of course), and we did so.

Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Depending on the season, I'll wear skirt/top, jeans/sweater, jeans/top. I live in the mile high city and winters get right cold. If it's really cold, I'll wear a dress with leggings underneath. Right now, shoes are an issue so I'll wear whatever goes with the shoes I can wear...I broke my ankle in 3 places and had to have surgery...1 plate, 9 screws and some contraption that is tying the bones together just above the ankle. Its still swollen and painful so, whatever shoe will go over my foot and accommodate the brace is what I wear. I hate it because I have a bunch of really cute flats that I just can't jam my foot in.

• Prayers
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have always worn suits to church and haven't seen any particular need to change. Over the years I have accumulated a fair number of suits because of weddings - always a new suit for a wedding. With my work (I am self-employed) I don't have opportunities to wear suits. Rather than let them collect dust in my closet I wear them to church on Sunday, as well as to funerals and weddings.

Several years ago a couple in church celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary and asked guest to dress in 1920's attire. The anniversary was in the summer so I bought a lovely cotton blue striped seersucker suit with vest and a straw boater hat. I still wear them to church in the summer. The suit is really light and cool to wear - much more comfortable than my casual clothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 14, 2022
Birmingham
✟11,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Most of the time, I like to wear a skirt and dressy blouse or a dress, although, here and there, an elegant women's pants suit is at the top of my list. At the same time, I don't believe it's out-of-order for a person to wear an ensemble to church that's heavily on the casual side. As long as the person is appropriately covered and has a mind and heart turned toward God, all's well and good!

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Most of the time, I like to wear a skirt and dressy blouse or a dress, although, here and there, an elegant women's pants suit is at the top of my list. At the same time, I don't believe it's out-of-order for a person to wear an ensemble to church that's heavily on the casual side. As long as the person is appropriately covered and has a mind and heart turned toward God, all's well and good!

Agreed!

Upvote 0