How do you like to dress for church?

How do you like to dress for church?

• I dress formally or "business casual." I believe we should look our best for the Lord.

• I wear very casual clothes, but I make sure they are clean and in good repair.

• I don't care what I wear to church, even if it has stains or rips.

• Other. I'll explain in the thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I only wear Dresses to church, I do not think it is proper for a woman to wear slacks, or pants to Church, and I feel it is a disgrace to wear it in the congregation...

Wow.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After the haranguing I got for saying I disagree with earrings on men and tattoos on females, I can't imagine this is going to go over very well, but we dress for church like we're going to church.

Slacks, jackets, and a tie for me and our boys, dresses for the girls.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I only wear Dresses to church, I do not think it is proper for a woman to wear slacks, or pants to Church, and I feel it is a disgrace to wear it in the congregation...

Just curious, would you be OK with turning people away at the door because they look "disgraceful" and are not good enough to be in church? Maybe I should put it this way. What's more disgraceful? A woman wearing slacks? Or a church not letting somebody in because they're not dressed well enough?

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After the haranguing I got for saying I disagree with earrings on men and tattoos on females, I can't imagine this is going to go over very well, but we dress for church like we're going to church.

Slacks, jackets, and a tie for me and our boys, dresses for the girls.

*cracks knuckles in haranguing preparation*

Just kidding!

I obviously don't feel the way you do, but that's completely OK :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just curious, would you be OK with turning people away at the door because they look "disgraceful" and are not good enough to be in church? Maybe I should put it this way. What's more disgraceful? A woman wearing slacks? Or a church not letting somebody in because they're not dressed well enough?

I know it wasn't me you asked, where I go, generally women wear dresses or skirts to Church. There is one very elderly lady who I know always wears slacks. It's not something I trouble myself about (there may be others and I haven't noticed) but it's just that I notice that sometimes very elderly who wear dresses through their lives switch to slacks in their old age. I don't think it's a matter of piety or lack thereof. I would never dream of thinking badly of her for this.

It actually bothers me a bit when young women who don't normally attend show up in extremely short dresses, but even that is not my place to address so I do my best not to notice or consider in my mind, since who knows what they are thinking or where their hearts are. I figure it's between them and God, and for Fr. M to address if it's disruptive or anything.

I've never seen anyone turned away from that Church for that reason. And it's a very conservative Church in many ways.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know it wasn't me you asked, where I go, generally women wear dresses or skirts to Church. There is one very elderly lady who I know always wears slacks. It's not something I trouble myself about (there may be others and I haven't noticed) but it's just that I notice that sometimes very elderly who wear dresses through their lives switch to slacks in their old age. I don't think it's a matter of piety or lack thereof. I would never dream of thinking badly of her for this.

It actually bothers me a bit when young women who don't normally attend show up in extremely short dresses, but even that is not my place to address so I do my best not to notice or consider in my mind, since who knows what they are thinking or where their hearts are. I figure it's between them and God, and for Fr. M to address if it's disruptive or anything.

I've never seen anyone turned away from that Church for that reason. And it's a very conservative Church in many ways.

This is where every church I've ever seen (protestant, at least) does "youth church" wrong. Almost all the time, the youngest, least experienced pastor is put in charge of educating the youngest, least experienced members...in a mixed gender environment. That is universal, yet ludicrous.

The scriptural model is of older men discipling younger men and older women discipling younger women. In that way, the younger will see appropriateness modeled for them directly.

"Why do we have to dress this way?" "Because men are dogs, dear." See, young women can't get answers like that from the male youth pastor.;)

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is where every church I've ever seen (protestant, at least) does "youth church" wrong. Almost all the time, the youngest, least experienced pastor is put in charge of educating the youngest, least experienced members...in a mixed gender environment. That is universal, yet ludicrous.

The scriptural model is of older men discipling younger men and older women discipling younger women. In that way, the younger will see appropriateness modeled for them directly.

"Why do we have to dress this way?" "Because men are dogs, dear." See, young women can't get answers like that from the male youth pastor.;)

Precisely why we don't have a youth group.

Not only is the concept of youth groups a bad idea, but what happens when you give boys pizza parties and lock ins and Michael W. Smith concerts for 18 years and then, one day, they're no longer "youth" and are expected to contribute to the life of the church? That's kind of a hard transition from the "fun" of youth groups to the hard work of being a part of the church.

Don't get me wrong, we like to have fun, too, but we're not frivolous and we want our children to grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord and to not remain children, but to become men and ladies with a rich Christian heritage and a place where they can use their gifts to edify the Body of Christ, rather than to just be pampered and segregated by age.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

You know, you are absolutely right. And it kind of hit me.

First, I'll say we don't have a "youth program". The children attend Church with the adults - all of them. They go for Sunday School after the Eucharist, and the adults hang around and socialize while they have various classes.

And I still think it's "not my place" but only because of particular factors. I am not a member of the Church, I'm fairly new, I don't know the young women in question or their families, and I just think it would be out of place coming from me.

But you are right that the mature women in Church ought to be educating the younger, and not putting it off on Church leadership! That was my fault in assuming, and it's right there in Scripture.

We do have several women who tend to take up matters as needed, but whether they address short dresses, I am not sure. (It may very well be that they do, since it's not like I see young women coming week after week dressed inappropriately).

But you are absolutely right. And our high school Sunday School is the largest class, and is headed by a single individual. It might indeed make more sense to break it into boys and girls, at least for certain kinds of discussion. For all I know, that may actually be going on as well. But I did want to say that you made an excellent point!

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

That is nice that you wear only dresses to church.

I wear slacks most of the time. I've even worn jeans a few times, because they were what fit me.

I play organ a good number of sundays, and I don't like to wear a dress playing the organ.

I'm also not overly comfortable in a dress, and I'd like to be able to focus on what's being preached rather than how uncomfortable I am.

Now, I'm certain I've ruffled a few of the older ladies in the congregation because I'm the pastor's wife and I've worn slacks, but thankfully I don't attend church for their approval.

I don't understand how wearing slacks is a disgrace - I'm hoping you have some scripture of some sort to back up your opinion.

What I do find disgraceful is those members who attend church faithfully every week and wear all the right clothes and say all the right things, but fail to live their faith the other 6 days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So agree.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PreachersWife2004 said:
I don't understand how wearing slacks is a disgrace - I'm hoping you have some scripture of some sort to back up your opinion.

Have you provided scripture for your opinion?

What I do find disgraceful is those members who attend church faithfully every week and wear all the right clothes and say all the right things, but fail to live their faith the other 6 days.

I fail to live mine all seven days. That's why I need a Savior.

But that doesn't mean I don't show reverence when reverence is called for.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In all fairness, I used to believe women should wear only dresses or skirts, never slacks. After further study of the Scriptures, I realized the only thing Deuteronomy 22:5 actually says is that men and women should not wear one another's clothes. It doesn't define what style of clothing is prescribed for each gender, and it comes from a time in history when both sexes wore robes. So if a pair of slacks, jeans, or shorts is cut for a woman's shape, not a man's, and is sold as a woman's garment, then a woman wearing them is not wearing men's clothes. I don't know very many men who would look right or feel comfortable in women's slacks. As long as she isn't trying to pass herself off as a man, or a man isn't trying to pass himself off as a woman by wearing something like a kilt or a robe, then I don't see an issue that conflicts with Scripture.

What about unisex articles, such as t-shirts or sneakers? What about hospital gowns if it so happens you're in one? Those things are worn by both sexes, then washed and interchanged. Is it wrong to wear a hospital gown when you're in the hospital, because a man would wear the same thing, and a man might have even worn that same one before you did?

As for modesty, my grandmother (a preacher's daughter) felt she couldn't be modest in a skirt because she'd always have to worry about how she sat or bent over, and she was a very active woman. For the opposite reason, I've had the same experience. I have a physical disability. On a bad day I need a motor cart when I'm out shopping. I cannot ride one of those in a skirt, and call myself modest.

My opinion on the problem here, and simply my own opinion, is that "disgraceful" was a bit too strong a word. But that could just be an unfortunate word choice, and wasn't meant to be judgmental.

PS: It's just occurred to me that choir robes, too, are interchangeable. Is it wrong to wear choir robes for that reason? Which also leads me to the idea someone came up with a while back. If a visitor comes to their church wearing something entirely inappropriate, for example the beach wear that my family had on in the OP, instead of turning them away, the church offers them choir robes to put on. How's that for an idea?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For whatever it's worth, I disagree with what Our Simple Life believes, but she's certainly entitled to believe what she feels is right and true, just as you or I, LBF. I don't think it was necessary to take her post as a personal affront and get defensive about it.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For whatever it's worth, I disagree with what Our Simple Life believes, but she's certainly entitled to believe what she feels is right and true, just as you or I, LBF. I don't think it was necessary to take her post as a personal affront and get defensive about it.

Should I have left it at "wow" then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Have you provided scripture for your opinion?

And exactly what was my opinion that I needed scriptural proof for?

I fail to live mine all seven days. That's why I need a Savior.

But that doesn't mean I don't show reverence when reverence is called for.

Does a woman wearing slacks to church fail to show reverence? If so, how?

I'm not really sure anyone got offensive over it. I didn't. I'm just wondering if she has scriptural proof that it's disgraceful. It's one thing to say "I wear only skirts/dresses to church" and leave it at that, but she made a judgment on those who don't.

Upvote 0

MyChainsAreBroken

Sep 1, 2014
Northern Virginia
✟8,661.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I try to dress nicely and modestly for church. This usually means a dressy skirt/dress that goes at least to the knee, and a complementing shirt with sleeves. If I wear a sleeveless dress, I wear a cardigan over it. As for pants: I dislike dressy slacks and that's why I don't wear pants to church or work. I guess I'd describe my church attire as between dressy casual and business casual. Depending on the specific church's norm, my husband will either wear a suit and tie or slacks with a button-up shirt or polo shirt.

I will say that when we moved and were looking for a church to attend, we decided to pass on one that said on its website that the dress code was a suit and tie for men. For whatever reason, that (and the constant bragging about visiting politicians...oh, DC...) gave off a bit of an elitist vibe. To me, there's a difference between a church where most men wear suits and one where they imply that you might as well not show up if you don't.

Upvote 0