How do you break your gender's stereotype?

Super Gnat

Take my hand, precious Lord, and lead me home
Sep 15, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio--Go Cavs!
Visit site
✟16,409.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There've been a couple of serious discussions here and in the YA forum about masculinity and femininity. And I noticed that a lot of people talked about how their traits didn't line up with traditionally "masculine" or "feminine" traits.

So, here's your place to list 'em all! How are you different from the stereotype?

Me, I'm female, obviously. When I was a kid, I played a lot with Legos and K'Nex, and I love building things with them even now. (I used to have a 3'x6'x3' rollercoaster in the living room :D) Now that I'm all grown up, I'm about to graduate with a degree in engineering. I'm like the quintessential engineer; I'm really a problem-solver at heart, and I'm not all that good at directionless things like making small talk. Oh, and I rock at racing games. I could totally beat you :cool:

So, what about you? How do you break the stereotype?

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've noticed that when girls to guy-typical stuff, like change oil, know stuff about sports, drink beer, ride bulls at the rodeo, it's pretty hot.

But when guys do girl-typical stuff, it's pretty pansy.

Except cooking.

Which reminds me. A girl can throw around the word "girlfriend" like it's her middle name and it's cool, no big deal.

A man can build a thousand bridges, but if he says "boyfriend" even once, he's not a bridge-builder anymore.

Upvote 0

lunalinda

Random. Raw. Real
Aug 18, 2003
Orlando, FL
✟19,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hate shopping. I hate malls, and only go there when I really have to. I hate having my nails done. I don't see how women can function properly with those horrid things. I enjoy Demolition Derby's and would LOVE to one day see Monster Trucks. I hate Soap Operas and Chick Flicks, though some chick flicks can be acceptable if they're funny enough.

Upvote 0

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I really hate the majority of "chick flicks," most especially of the Titanic variety. Really terrible movie.

When I hear a problem, I want to fix it and offer advice, not sympathy, and I'm not all that emotional.

I haven't any "cranky time of month" -- it used to always confuse me terribly to hear okes about that.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Super Gnat said:
...Now that I'm all grown up, I'm about to graduate with a degree in engineering. I'm like the quintessential engineer; I'm really a problem-solver at heart, and I'm not all that good at directionless things like making small talk...

Well, supposedly men are intimidated and/or threatened by intelligence, power and affluence in women.

Not me. I admire women in fields such as engineering. :D

But it does not really matter what field a woman is working in. I admire any woman when she applies her knowledge, her problem solving skills, her critical thinking skills, etc. to tasks.

And while I am not particularly impressed by power or wealth, I am not intimidated or threatened by a woman who possesses them or who possesses more of them than I do. What is impressive is when a person uses power and wealth to do a lot of good. Intimidated? Threatened? Me? Nothing could be further from the truth. On the contrary, I would be honored to be the partner of a woman who does a lot of good with power and wealth.

Frankly, it saddens me that from the moment of birth girls are discouraged from realizing their full potential. :( On a more positive note, what would I do without the copy and paste functions? I wrote this a few years ago, and I will probably never again say it better:

AMBITIOUS WOMEN

I have an image in my head of the woman I could fall in love with. I see her demeanor. I hear her voice. I see her smile. I see her physical features. I searched the depths of my imagination to try to honestly, truthfully extract what I would find attractive. I tried to put political correctness and theological correctness aside. Once I had a fairly pure picture, I tried to honestly, truthfully answer why I would find such qualities attractive.

To put it as simply as I can: I want a hard working, ambitious woman who wants to realize her full potential.

I've had plenty of female co-workers, and I've done more than my share of reading and studying the many different viewpoints and takes on social life. So I know that not all working women are the same. There are...

1.) Those who are in it for the money, status, etc., not for the work. If they were to somehow instantly have a lot of money, like winning the lottery, they'd probably leave the workforce in a heartbeat.

2.) Those who are doing it to survive. If they could survive without it, they'd probably gladly give up employment.

3.) Those who work to cure boredom. They choose their occupation for enjoyment. If they like working with kids they work in day care, elementary education, etc. They choose workplaces where they will have lots of friends, among other benefits.

The above is a general outline. Anybody who takes offense and accuses me of stereotyping or some other offense is nitpicking. The point is to explain myself, not to search for the truth, advance some ideology, or persuade.

Now, how would my ideal partner be different from those above? What exactly would this ambitious woman be like? Well, ...

1.) She would be realistic. She wouldn't, for example, find herself in her mid-thirties hearing her biological clock tick and saying "I didn't know that pregnancies are high risk after the age of 29 or so. If I'd known that I wouldn't have gone to medical school. If I had known that I would have settled down years ago and had kids." She would know the risks and sacrifices of her life choices, and have no regrets.

2.) She wouldn't have work ranked somewhere in some list of priorities. She would appreciate the fact that work isn't just some means to an end. She wouldn't think that work is something you do to afford having "a life". She would believe that work is an end in itself; that you can make a life out of work.

I believe that it can be rational to make choices solely for the sake of one's life of work. It can be perfectly rational to, say, put aside concerns about losing all of one's friendships or interrupting your children's friendships and education in the same school system, and to make a choice based solely on further realizing one's potential through work. It can be more rational to relocate to the other coast to take a job with more responsibility, for example, than to stay put so that you don't interrupt your kids' schooling. How can it be more rational? I would argue that the kids would be better off with parents who realize their full potential.

We make everything child-centered nowadays, it seems. It's not necessarily good for children. An alternative is to make work-centered choices. My ideal partner would be a woman who makes work-centered choices. (Spare me the theology about Christ-centered; that is nitpicking, and is beside the point)

If a woman gives priority to things like money, friends, living comfortably, etc., then she's not the ambitious woman of my dreams. It doesn't mean that the woman of my dreams doesn't want those things; they simply are not a priority of hers.

3.) She's focused and determined. No chip on her shoulder. No complaining about glass ceilings. No politics, period. Her work is what she values and is what motivates her, not liberating herself, defying the system, etc.

There it is. No politics. No theology. Just who I am, the kind of people I would best connect with, and the kind of woman I would love to call my wife.

It's not like I am a lone wolf, though. In his essay/lecture Christianity and the Survival of Creation, Wendell Berry theologically articulates some of what I think about work. I don't know if he agrees with me about women.

Whether it is supplying labor in the labor market, or owning an enterprise and buying from the labor market, it doesn't matter. Whether it is in the formal economy or the informal economy, it doesn't matter. Self-employed or employed by someone else, it doesn't matter. Whatever shape or form, it is work. And it is good.

I don't know that the Bible means by "toil". Whatever it means, it is unrelated to work.

Recreation? Play? Having a good time? They are not priorities of mine, and would not be priorities of a woman I am attracted to. They're nice things, but if one experiences them only minimally, it doesn't mean he/she has not "lived".

So, what if a woman wants to be a homemaker? If that's the work that she wants to do, and if that's how she can best realize her potential, then go for it!! But, if she juxtaposes "staying at home" and "working", and if she thinks that a woman's role is one while a man's role is the other, then you won't find her in my dreams.

This is complex subject matter. I am well aware that there are concepts like leisure, and that leisure is different from "play". But that's nitpicking and going off on a tangent. Now, if only I could get the chance to do more of the work I like best: Academic work. If that were happening, there'd be a much happier me and I'd be ready to try to find and hook up with my dream woman.

Upvote 0

strengthinweakness

Engaged to be married to Starcradle!
May 31, 2004
Maryland
✟8,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am intuitive. I am sensitive and tend to express my feelings. I am passionate about many things and show it. I am verbally oriented. I love to talk about God and what He is doing in my life. I love to listen and to hear about what He is doing in the lives of other people. When I am in a relationship with a woman, I love to compliment her (appropriately), and I often do so without any "prompting" on her part. I am romantic, and I think about what my (possible) future wife might be like (knowing that God often surprises us! :) ). I know almost nothing about sports, and moreover, I honestly don't care! I love poetry and foreign films. In other words, I am about as far away from what most men (especially in the part of the U.S. that I grew up in) are "expected" to be as any man possibly could be!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not about claiming feminine traits, I'm about expanding the realm of masculinity. Whether it's art, music, poetry, whatever, most of the great masters of their craft - whatever it was, regardless of whether it is considered manly today - were men. Much of it still is that way. Cooking? The top chefs are men. Art? The top artists were always men. Writing? Again, the vast majority were men. You get my drift.
attachment.php

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Achichem

Faithful
Aug 9, 2003
✟1,857.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well I'm a pretty typical male in my mind, but then I have a very broad range of what is masculine.

However, I suppose for starters:

1)I don't generally enjoy sports, but more because I'm nerd at heart
2)I'm good with children, funnest people in the world to be around btw, and that not just because their more like me then big people :D
3)I'm Romantic and have a secret affinity to romantic love stories (shh don't say anything)
4)I have a ton of nice clothes, though I say that's only because I once owned a online mens store
5)I enjoy shopping, do it for a hobby, though my sister told me I still shop like a man :)
6)I dance, some people say even pretty well ;)
7)I'm spiritual before I'm religious

Upvote 0

Bunnymedic

I'm in love with a Weasel
Jan 4, 2006
Virginia
Visit site
✟9,020.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do alot of non-girly stuff.
First,I am a paramedic ,which even though more women are going into the feild,it is not a girly job.Long all night hours,fast driving,blood,guts,beligerant drunks....
Second,I like to work out.Not aerobics or pilates...hard core weight lifting with the guys!I like to get on the bench press or the smith machine and bust out some reps!
Third,I like to go four wheeling ..especially if its really muddy!
Those are probably the biggest things....

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How do I break my gender's stereotype?

I'm not always "rough & tumble" (though I can be if required). I think beer tastes nasty (but I'll force one down one without complaint, in order to avoid appearing rude or aloof in social situations). I am artistic, musical and experience strong emotions. If I was to speak up more often, I might come across as overly dramatic. I'm fairly sentimental... and might even be judged as too 'sweet' for my own good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

findinghope06

Child of the Risen Lord
May 17, 2005
✟16,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i drive a stick shift and i know how to change my oil and a flat tire

i love baseball and get really into the games

i love playing in mud! four wheeling is awesome! i definitly dont mind getting my hands (and clothes and face haha) dirty ^_^

...hmm...dont really know what else. im pretty much a girlie girl :p

Upvote 0