How do I choose what passage or book to read?

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's a few ideas -
1) do topic studies or word studies.
2) watch "One Night with the King" and compare it to the book of Esther or watch "The Passion of Christ" and compare it to the gospels - realizing that theatrical liberalities were taken but you would know which parts were scriptural,
3) study the tabernacles and temples - looking at similarities and differences or this site shows pictures of the furnishings such as Images of the Tabernacle of Moses: God's Prophetic Pattern | Study material, pictures, drawings, and posters Almost 50 chapters - wow! Do you see Yeshua? or study the feasts of The Lord Do you see Yeshua there also?
4) compare the accounts of the gospels
5) look at a list of Biblical characters and see what the scriptures have to say about that person. Here’s one site that has some listed Bible Personality Profiles - Biblical Characters and Personalities - Christ-Centered Mall
6) Also, love studying Jewish customs and perspectives because it causes me to have better understanding of many Scriptures.

Upvote 0

YHWH_will_uplift

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2016
California
✟163,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I have tried the systematic approach, where you read the books in order, and got fed up when I finished leviticus, Ive tried reading a new testament book every day, but felt they were becoming too familiar. and Ive tried reading a random chapter. that seemed disjointed.

whats a good way to decide what to read that will ensure enjoyment of reading?
Unfortunately there's no quick way to read the entire Bible. You can't afford to lose your patience when it comes to reading. Instead use the principle of Jesus:

First = Last

There are sixty six books in our current canon: Genesis is the first book and Revelation is the last book. Now just as a story has a beginning, middle, and an end so too does the story of the Bible. What connects Genesis and Revelation together is the Gospel of John: therefore read the Bible this way in order to get the skeletal structure then read the rest of the books. And in order to keep your reading fresh work on engaging the text by connecting key themes from each book: for example Adam and Eve lost out on eating from the Tree of Life in Eden in Genesis due to their sin: in Revelation we read that the faithful who remain free from sin will have the right to eat from the Tree of Life. John tells us that it is through Jesus the Son of God that we have the opportunity to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven as He was prophesied to come in Genesis, foretold His second coming in John, and fulfills His second coming in Revelation.

Upvote 0

Old Lioness

Jul 20, 2017
Ariel
✟9,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have tried the systematic approach, where you read the books in order, and got fed up when I finished leviticus, Ive tried reading a new testament book every day, but felt they were becoming too familiar. and Ive tried reading a random chapter. that seemed disjointed.

Upvote 0

Old Lioness

Jul 20, 2017
Ariel
✟9,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
My question to you is this...Every day one is faced with problems, or blessings, or questions, or other matters that need to be answered. The Bible is a perfect resource to find all the answers you need.

Now, if you aren't sure of a verse, then get on the internet and type out ...say...if you have a problem at work, where you are not getting along with someone and you find that you can't forgive them for something ..then go on line type out..."Verses on "Forgiveness. " you will be blown away at the verses that come up. You then might want to start a journal on your problems and Biblical answers.

Sometimes you get more out of the Bible when you look at it as an instructional book.

Historically, if you 're interested in history...say on why the Jews are the way they are and their history. The Bible WILL walk you thru this...and then explain their fate in the 2nd coming of the Lord. and how Israel is the KEY to the start of the endime signs as we are seeing it today. Don't fight the Bible..let the Bible come to you thru your curiosity and thoughts.

Upvote 0

1gh2g3f4

Jul 12, 2017
✟20,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True. I'm trying to read through the King James. It's more difficult, but from the standpoint of tradition, it's a version I'd like to read.
try the new king james version... some people who are very knowledgeable within the greek even say that they do a better job in some of the translations... and new king james is put into context that is easier to understand... but if ytou are searching for a easy way to understand... i honestly would recommend a niv book first.. this is the book i use to teach scripture... (of course not all scripture and that is glaringly obvious as to why because some scripture is left out the niv bible..)
personally the first book that i read where it grabbed me and answered a lot of my questions was actually the book of romans.. and because of this.. and many other reasons... it is my favorite book... but man... no one here can tell you this is better for you to start in rather than this this or this... all of that is subjective... we can offer some insight and opinions but that is it... you must find him yourself... and indeed if you do seek him with all your heart i promise you without a doubt in my head... you will find him..

Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Ben Collyer. We all choose different, passages, but the one I always choose is: Matthew 22: 35 -40: Here Jesus leads us. The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy hearts, with all thy souls, and with all thy minds. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself: treat all you know and all you meet, as you would love to be treated. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. The Bible tells us: give up all selfish and unloving thoughts and deeds, ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all love and joy with thy neighbour, all we know and all we meet, friend and not friend. ( Mathew 7; 7-10) God will see our loving and being friendly and forgiving, and God will Bless Us.
Let us keep loving and caring and forgiving always with a friendly smile. I say this with love Ben. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It depends I think. Whenever I'm asked by someone who is basically new to the Bible how to begin this is my recommendation:

Read Mark or Luke first (I'm biased in favor of Luke, but either is fine).
Then read the Acts of the Apostles (the benefit of reading Luke, then Acts is that Acts picks up right where Luke ended, as they are by the same author and Acts can be seen as the sequel to Luke)
Then read St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans.

Luke, Acts, Romans in that order does a lot of things: One gets to read the story of Jesus, the heart and soul of our faith, then the story of how the Church began and it introduces us to St. Paul; so by the time we read Romans we know who its author is. Then Romans is, arguably, Paul's finest epistle as through it he weaves a long and important argument about the universal problem of sin and God's gracious rescue of sinners through Christ.

I usually then recommend the Psalms, and after that much of the Bible is open.

But how one tackles the Bible, I think, largely depends on what one's trying to accomplish; there can be a benefit to reading through the Bible start to finish as though one were reading a novel, in that one will see themes unfold as one passes from Genesis, to the Exodus, to the stories of Israel, then the Prophets, and then the Gospels, etc. For devotional purposes one can use an aid like the Book of Common Prayer or the Daily Office/Breviary which has the benefit of also introducing the practice of praying the hours in addition to reading the historic Scripture readings of the lectionary. For study purposes it can be most beneficial to choose a book and then pour over it in the context of a study group through your church along with study aids.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Dirk1540
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I haven't done devotions in awhile. (been through the Bible 2x) But I do daily bread. There is a today's reading in the pamphlet, allowing one old testament and one new testament. Sometimes I read a proverb a day, equals 31 proverbs. But other than that I am going through the bible with Jon courson, he has a mp3 flash drive through the bible, for about 100$. I am in Genesis 27 I think. I have already done mathew through mid luke, but decided to start it over. But leviticus has alot of nuggets of info in it. If you read an exposition of it along side it helps. I also use haley's bible handbook when I did my devotions through the Bible. Thats my favorite. But if it's not for devotion time, I fully recommend the mp3 through the Bible. It has changed my life many times over.

I don't think you can advertise with links but if you go to searchlight, jon courson. You will see a drop down that has the mp3 through the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I personally found that the Bible has came alive in a whole new way since I read several near death experience accounts.

I used to believe in the "soul sleep" doctrine but now that I know that I know that that idea was a serious error...... the whole Bible has came alive no matter what books of it I read now.

The Colton Burpo NDE account is a pretty awesome one to begin with.

Upvote 0

Servantleader

Jul 21, 2017
Pasadena
✟15,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for sharing. Admittedly, I have experienced a similar lack of interest in the earlier books of Scripture. Like you said, NT is getting too familiar. I say jump back after Leviticus. But perhaps before you read, ask the Holy Spirit to lead you through the Word. I know that has helped me go through the hard pages of the temple building scripture as well as the sacrifices and feast.

May I suggest that you also go into Scripture with brand new lenses everytime you read. It might also help to not have a particular amount of pages to cover. Attempt to read a whole book in one seating, if not perhaps 5 chapters per day, but I do believe it is critical to engage. I think it is in the engagement with the Word by the power of the Holy Spirit that you find it hard to put the bible down. The story of God and His people is truly amazing when we begin to see it in real times in the lenses of heaven. I hope some of what I said is helpful to you. Best of luck. Be blessed.

Upvote 0