How do I choose what passage or book to read?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have tried the systematic approach, where you read the books in order, and got fed up when I finished leviticus, Ive tried reading a new testament book every day, but felt they were becoming too familiar. and Ive tried reading a random chapter. that seemed disjointed.

whats a good way to decide what to read that will ensure enjoyment of reading?
Download the Youversion Bible app.

They have hundreds of reading plans.

If you want to read the Bible in one year the best plan is the mcheyne bible reading plan on the youversion Bible App.

It takes you through the NT and Psalms twice in a year and the OT once.

There is a printable version of the plan too.

Bible Gateway has the plan too:

Bible Reading Plans - M’Cheyne Bible Reading Plan - NIV - Today's Reading

Here's the Youversion site:

https://www.youversion.com

Another site:

M'Cheyne Reading Plan

You won't get bored with the M'Cheyne plan.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have tried the systematic approach, where you read the books in order, and got fed up when I finished leviticus, Ive tried reading a new testament book every day, but felt they were becoming too familiar. and Ive tried reading a random chapter. that seemed disjointed.

Ben,

This is what I use for this year: 5 Day Bible Reading Program 2017.

The benefit for me is that it takes a few chapters from the OT, a psalm, and one NT chapter daily for 5 days a week. It's a nice balance.

If I miss some days, which I've done, I can catch up OR drag the chain and leave it as is. If this is too much a day for you, you can decide to cut down on the diet according to your appetite.

Oz

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,923,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Hi Ben, do you like reading in general? If not, or if you are simply more aurally attuned, you could also listen through the entire Bible, as most of the major translations are on DVD/CD or online now, the latter most often for free :)

They also come in various formats, single voice, multi-voice, dramatized, etc. And if you have the time to spend 45 minutes or so per day, you can make it through the entire Bible, OT & NT, in just a little over 3 months. I've read through the Bible about three times, and I've listened through it about that many times as well. In fact, if reading through the Bible is my objective, I actually prefer the audio Bible now because it helps keep me on track (I always want to study the Bible when I read it). And I always keep a pen and paper with me so I can write down things that catch my attention as I'm listening and then look them up later).

Here's a free online example of what I'm talking about. This is the NIV Dramatized, but there are many other translations and formats to choose from there as well.

BTW, this book, Esther, is a wonderfully interesting (and short) read (or listen). I think you'll enjoy it :)

Yours and His,
David

edit: Whoops, it looks like you'll have to choose the book of Esther if you want to listen to it once you get there. I went there via the link I left you and it defaulted to Genesis 1:1. No problem though, the books and chapters are all reached by the use of drop-down menus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

in Hebrews 10 Paul wrote this quoting psalm 40 speaking of Jesus he says'
5 Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:
“Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
But a body You have prepared for Me.
6 In burnt offerings and
sacrifices for sin
You had no pleasure.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—
In the volume of the book it is written of Me—
To do Your will, O God.’ ”
[fn]
8 Previously saying, “Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God.”[fn] He takes away the first that He may establish the second. 10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

A good commentary can help you see great treasures in the law. Take the law of the leper on the day of his cleansing. This is a tedious reading in the law. There is a protocol for inspecting sores (Leviticus 13)and how to determine if one is unclean with leprosy. Once unclean they isolate that person and inspect his belongings too to keep the disease from spreading. In Chapter 14 their is a whole chapter devoted to what to do if they are healed. If he is healed then there is the inspection by the priests and they take two bird and kill one and dip the live bird in the blood of the other bird with some scarlet thread a piece of cedar wood and some hyssop and then run it over living water. If you think about these elements you will see Jesus the blood in the passover was applied with hyssop and the scarlet chord was used by Rahab to save her family and Jesus on the wooden cross was offered the gall of wine on a Hyssop branch. One bird died and the free bird was washed in water. All the elements of the cross are there but it get better. The same person a week later comes and they do another set of sacrifices and a ritual. The person would bring two lambs and if they were poor they could use doves and they would make a sin offering and take of the blood and put some on the right ear lobe right thumb and right big toe and also make a wave offering of oil. Now this is where knowing this stuff gets very fun. This law was recorded in Moses day and back then there was no cure for leprosy. So not a single person ever went to the priest to have this inspection or ritual performed. Jesus healed 10 lepers in one day and sent them to the priest and commanded them to perform these acts on them. The disease leprosy is a type of sin in the bible and this chapter shows God removing sin with the blood of a lamb. The one who is cleansed is offering a log of oil a symbol of the Holy Spirit. The priest in Jesus day must have marveled when lepers came healed for the 1st time ever. The book of exodus in ch 8 and again in ch 29 shows what they did to ordain a priest. You see when Aaron and his sons were anointed priest a offering was made and they took the blood and put it on the right ear, right thumb and right big toe. The healed leper is really now ordained a priest. Jesus takes those covered in sins and makes them sanctified for a priesthood. All of that dry reading actually will have something amazing to discover about jesus. A guy Named John Corson has free audio sermons through the whole Bible and they might help in certain books.

The Bible is on one level a history of what happened and over that history there is prophecy recorded and expanded over what will happen. The righteous standards of God are revealed and cause and effect relationships are given. The history recorded shows the prophecy given follow the laws of blessing and cursing that are revealed for following the LORD or rebelling against Him. If you know the chronology of the history and the moral standards set you can see the prophecy that is fulfilled and the ones that are still future very clearly. So being systematic like when you read one book like say leviticus and the law I needed to go to Exodus, Judges, John and Hebrews to Get the context of the story in the whole of scripture. For instance in this short study I looked up in a thesarus the word Hyssop and saw all the places it was used , this is very helpful in making the connections in scripture. God bless your study.

• Informative
Reactions: DeerGlow
Upvote 0

LilShepherdBoy

Seek First the Kingdom of God & His Righteousness
Jun 15, 2015
Physically here but mentally with God.
✟43,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Read the book of John. It tells you how to get the Holy Spirit, particularly chapters 14-16. Once you have the Holy Spirit guiding you, the entire bible becomes easy to understand, and no one can teach you the bible better than Jesus as He is the voice of the spirit in you.

Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For reading the Bible I would suggest reading the Psalms and Proverbs. John's Gospel is good but there is no rule you have to read the Bible from cover to cover. I seldom read the Old Testament but know most of it pretty well because I went to the trouble of studying it. I think the best reading is in the epistles of Paul but there is a lot in the poetic books, always loved Job. If you start to lose your way it's always a good idea to go back the the Psalms.

If you are just determined then 4 chapters a day will get you through the whole thing in about a year, 7 a day will break it down to six months. If you made it as far as Leviticus I think it's time to skip some pages and try Kings and Chronicles. The Prophets are kind of tough but try Danial, there is a really easy to understand narrative in the early chapters.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Ben, study the Word of God.... studying takes time.
There no rush to get through scripture (God's Word)...So pray, study, research it,
believe it and apply it.
I suggest you start in...Proverbs.
Proverbs is actually a book of instructions on how to live a life pleasing to God.
Have a notebook and pen handy... for note taking.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟358,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Start with the last book in the Bible - Revelation.

As far as, what chapter to start with I would go to Revelation 13.

Reading the bible for enjoyment is not the right reason. A strong desire is the right reason.

This will get you started in the right direction.....

The first three Chapters of Revelation are instructions by Jesus on how Christians (represented by the seven churches) are supposed to behave until He Returns.

Chapters 4 and 5 John is prepared to see the future, about the times surrounding Jesus's return. In Chapter 6, Jesus begins, and John sees everything. The rest of Revelation, to Revelation 20, is those 7 years, at the end times - corresponding to the end times prophecies said in the old testament, the Tanach, the seven years there. It doesn't say end times in Revelation, because end times is already stated in the old testament of the corresponding prophecies.

Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[for me anyway] we must discipline ourselves to not think above (beyond) that which is written, and must also arrive to the point that every thought be brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ: such an endeavor would require us to study and read absolutely as much as possible in a day. Why? or what for? because we live in a world saturated by worldliness and ungodliness, and we know that faith comes only by hearing the Word of God, and by none other: therefore it is evident that if we seek to be in Christ continually we must deny (disown) our own will, that we may submit to and rely upon His will, which is by his Word. for me anyway, I study and read God's Word 5-6 hours daily, and have done so for the past 29 years: it takes discipline until it becomes routine, and then reaches the point that you've got to have it, it becomes as necessary food for you. It is just as Peter told the Lord Jesus when Jesus asked them if they will also go away, Peter answered: Lord to whom shall we go? only thou hast the Words of eternal life!
So then who else should we listen too? I can think of none other.

Upvote 0

agapebondservant

Jul 20, 2017
Gosford
✟9,817.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Bro you have quiet a valid question ... I find it helpful to approach the Word in a thematic way ... search your heart as to what theme or subject would be helpful to you on that day ... It might be the life of King David ... maybe you might want to search out the theme of Passover and how it relates to us in this New Covenant Age ... there are so many themes in the Word. Just relax, pray and listen to His voice ... you'll be fine because you have a heart willing to know and learn of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sherina

Jul 20, 2017
Samarinda
✟7,696.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
same questions came to me everyday.... to be honest, i haven't finished reading bible until this day

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Liturgical churches follow a lectionary. Over the course of a year, if you follow all of the daily readings you will read all of the New Testament and Psalms along with large chunks of the Old Testament.
The daily readings will feature a passage from one of the Gospels and an Epistle. Prayers are from the Psalms. Last evening, the vesperal reading was about Elijah (today being his feast day). There were several passages that were read.
Lectionaries can be purchased but many are free on various church related websites.
For example here are the daily readings and commemoration from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (linked - my church, for full disclosure).

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I made a chronological reading schedule. There is debate on chronology and I made some mistakes, but it will give you a general sense of biblical narrative as it unfolded during time. Hope this is helpful.

For a simplified reading of just the history of the Bible story one can read just these books in this order:
Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Joshua, Judges, 1st Samuel, 2nd Samuel, 1st Kings, 2nd Kings,
Ezra, and Nehemiah.
The Gospels, and the Acts.

Reading Schedule of the Bible in Chronological Order

The books of the Bible are listed in order of occurrence first, with time of writing second.

Old Testament

BC 4,000 - 2,054 Genesis 1-12 up to Abraham
2,054 Job
2,054 - 1,542 Genesis 12-50 up to Joseph's death
1,542 - 1,422 Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, & Deuteronomy

Pentateuch written 1,500 BC

1,422 - 1,372 Joshua
1,372 - 1,127 Judges 1-12 up to Jephthah
1,127 Ruth
1,172 - 1,076 Judges 12-21 up to the massacre of Benjamin
1,076 - 1,046 1 Samuel 1-8 on Samuel

The United Kingdom

1,046 - 1,018 1 Samuel 8-16 on Saul
1,018 - 985 1 Samuel 16-31 on David's youth
2 Samuel 1-24 on David's kingdom
1 Chronicles 10-29 David's kingdom
Psalms (David & servants)
985 - 945 1 Kings 1-12 on Solomon
2 Chronicles 1-10 Solomon
945- 931 Proverbs by Solomon
Ecclesiastes by Solomon
Song of Solomon
The Divided Kingdom & Prophets
931- 853 1 Kings 13-22 up to Ahaziah of Israel
2 Chronicles 10-21 Ahaziah of Israel
889 Elijah
868 Elisha
862 Jonah
853 - 727 2 Kings 1-17 Israel conquered by Assyria
2 Chronicles 21-32 Assyria faces Judah
800 Joel
787 Amos
785 Hosea
760 Isaiah
750 Micah
727- 586 2 Kings 17-25 up to Babylonian captivity
2 Chronicles 32-36 Babylonian captivity
713 Nahum
640 Zephaniah
629 Jeremiah
626 Habakkuk
607 Daniel
595 Ezekiel
588 Lamentations
587 Obadiah
The Return & 2nd Temple
586 - 538 Ezra
538 - 520 Haggai
520 Zechariah
520 - 480 Esther
480 - 446 Nehemiah
446 - 397 Malachi

Inter- Testamental Period

397 - 4 Apocrypha & Pseudopigrapha

New Testament

B C 4 - 29 AD Matthew life of Christ
Mark life of Christ
Luke life of Christ
26 - 29 John ministry of Christ
29 - 66 Acts
45 - 48 James written
49 Galatians written
51 1 & 2 Thessalonians written
sometime in 50's Mark written
55 - 56 1 & 2 Corinthians written
58 Romans written
60 Luke written
61 Acts written
Matthew written
Ephesians written
Philippians written
Colossians written
Philemon written sometime in 60's
66 - 70 Jude written
85 - 90 John written
90 1-3 John written
95 Revelation written

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use the bible app on my phone to listen to the bible when I am working out. It works for me as I can concentrate on listening more than what I am doing. If you struggle to read the Bible as much as you should listening is a great way to immerse yourself in the Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

To avoid getting stale and For a change, you could , look at it by subject.
Many to choose, and there are apps to help, that allow you to search bible by text.

Take all the references to baptism or Eucharist ( words like body and blood) and in addition to searching the bible read early church fathers comments on them for commentaries

Easy to find google " early church fathers Eucharist"
They refer to bible chapters.

Or take all the references to " works" for example.

Or you can use the office of readings from the daily office used by religious using apps such as " universalis"
Which over a 3? year cycle reads the lot.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2017
Erie
✟8,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed

Read and study what was written TO YOU... Romans through Philemon. In that process you will get some understanding from comparing the present with the past.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When you read a Gospel, you are reading the actual words of Jesus, Who was with God before the Earth existed!

Imagine you are there, listening, in person.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My best suggestion to an active Christ follower (not a seeker) is to read the NIV with a chronological reading plan (there are several online). This allows for better absorption of the story because you're not hopping around back and forth in time, repeating things you already read (lots of overlap in Kings, Chronicles, etc.). But I will warn you, the first time through it's going to be a grind from about halfway through Exodus, through Leviticus, and about halfway through Numbers. Expect it, grind it out, and know it's well worth the struggle. That's not to say those chapters aren't important -- they're incredibly important -- but they are very challenging to a new reader.

Upvote 0