How do I choose what passage or book to read?

Love-Grace

Jul 3, 2017
Liverpool
✟8,224.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You can use something like 'Search the Scriptures' which will help you to have a balance between old and new testaments. Following this will allow you to read the whole bible in 3 years. It also contains questions at the end of the devotion to help stretch your mind and to find the answers in scripture.

20170719_222335.jpg
This is the book

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have done it a couple times my wife is on her I believe 13th year of reading the Bible completely through in one year it's a great way to cover the whole Bible. 20 to 25 minute reading each day should do it. I have seen her grow so much, it's not easy being married to a saint.

Be Saintly, read your Bible in one year.

M-Bob

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have found the four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) to be the core of all the rest of OT and NT. To study OT, you can refer to Jesus' teaching because He teaches the Law. So, reading OT, keep references to what Jesus teaches about them. To study NT, you can refer to Jesus' teaching because the epistles refer to what Jesus taught and to OT too.

So, my suggestion would be that, until you receive direction from the Lord or motivation from discussions that will compel you to seek the Word thoroughly, it is safe to constantly read the four gospels one at a time or simultaneously. You can find there will always be fresh revelation reading them over and over when there is nowhere else where you feel compelled to read. And that fresh revelation each time will be in alignment with God's Word when it's from Him.

And again, as you read the four gospels in your quiet time with the Lord in prayer, utilize reference notes that will refer you to other parts of the Bible. From there, you can begin reading the entire books that you'll be referred to. (From the point of reading, you'll find your reading developing into "study" as you search, pray, and dig deeper to gain more understanding.)

My hunger and thirst for more of God's Word continuously flows from a cycle like this below:

--- Reading Jesus' teachings in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and/or John one at a time or simultaneously

--- Utilizing the reference notes from your bible or from another source like online reference in order to page to the referred passages.

--- Reading the entire chapters (and eventually books) where the references are found.

--- Searching for Bible passages (and then the entire 1+ chapters around those passages within the same book) as a result of discussions, Bible studies, sermons, or other commutations that occur that make me go dig for understanding. These are the starting points where you may find that you didn't know about from reading four gospels. Example, if somebody discusses Esther (whom I don't believe Jesus ever mentioned - at least not according to written accounts of His teachings) you can go search on Esther yourself from the discussion that was communicated.

--- As I read/study, I examine my life, our world we're living in and the times we're living in. This leads me to do the following:
------- Repent. (This is a frequent experience going through the Word)
------- Give thanks to the Lord with revelation of His love and mercy for His children as revealed in passages that you read.
------- Pray for the urgencies and the needs that you see revealed - whether for yourself, others, the world, or the church.
------- Engage in what I'm reading. Enjoy it. Ask questions about what you read - to God, to leaders, to Christian friends (who also study the Word), and again, God for understanding. Be patient for your answers. Some come immediately; some come over time.
------- Don't rush yourself through any of what you read as your "reading" develops into "study" - sometimes in a matter of moments, sometimes in a matter of hours/days with daily routine breaks in between or even long hours closed up to devote to the Word.

As you spend more and more time in God's Word, you will find that your spirit will be more in tune to receive direction from God - where He is leading you to read and how He is leading you through life. Honoring and heeding to His written Word will always help prepare you to receive His spoken Word.

Finally, my suggestion is that you *do* read Revelation and not avoid it. When you find reference to it, read it. And when you go to Revelation as your first point of reading for a day or series of study, prayerfully utilize references.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have tried the systematic approach, where you read the books in order, and got fed up when I finished leviticus, Ive tried reading a new testament book every day, but felt they were becoming too familiar. and Ive tried reading a random chapter. that seemed disjointed.

whats a good way to decide what to read that will ensure enjoyment of reading?

I tend to keep good track of what books I have and haven't read, so I will read through those that I haven't read in a while and that keeps me going. One thing of note is reading books as a group instead of just individually. What I mean, is if you read Genesis, then you should read through the other Books of Moses as well. Just to give a fuller picture of what is going on. Context is everything in scripture of course :)

The other thing you can do as @DeerGlow alluded to is utilize daily scripture features. it is not how much you read but how much you understand and meditate on.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have tried the systematic approach, where you read the books in order, and got fed up when I finished leviticus, Ive tried reading a new testament book every day, but felt they were becoming too familiar. and Ive tried reading a random chapter. that seemed disjointed.

Hi,
I don't read the Bible directly much. Instead I love reading Christian books. That way I absorb teachings and grow my knowledge of scripture whilst all the hard work has been done by those with better brains than me! I've Got dozens of books on the go, including daily devotionals. Many free Christian books on kindle too.
Also my great source of inspiration and knowledge is TBN UK channel. Loads of great programmes, great preachers.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Read all of the shortest books! .. You won't get tired of it then :)

There is some really nice Old Testament prophets, Amos, Malachi etc, and you'd become interested to read the bigger books of prophecy. Acts is a good book to have absorbed though, to know the history of the early church if you haven't already done so.

The New Testament letters are great for feeling the heart of a Christian in light of a Holy Spirit that has overcome the world (that is a reality that The Old Testament writers did not have an experience of, it comes through in their writing as a distant hope instead, while their experience of the world was being amidst the darkness leading up to the coming of Christ).

• Haha
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As a kid i had a story book version of the bible that mainly focused on the history books in the bible. I especially loved the Old Testament and Joshuas wars in particular which were exciting.

As a younger man I gave or went to many bible studies and we studied whole books, studied persons of the bible, studied a biblical theme or followed the church calendar depending on the group. Studying the broader theological framework of the bible Old and New and learning about hermeneutics, exposition techniques etc was all helpful but sometimes distracted from actual feeding on Gods word.

I had a phase when I would just read until I felt God had hit me with something. Sometimes it would just be a couple of verses and other times a whole book before I received a definite impression.

Now I always seem to be busy, on the move and lack settled routines. But over the last 3 years I did read a chapter a day properly through from Genesis to Revelation. I enjoyed it so much and found it so helpful that I simply intend to repeat the routine over the next few years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Put Revelation 3:21 and Deuteronomy 17:18 together.

You could try hand writing the bible out on sheets of paper. Not typing, hand writing, that's important. You may be the odd person who likes doing that. I've done sections and it's rather interesting what happens when you do this, it's hard to explain the experience. I've met a couple of men who have done this several times. The only issues are the added effort and the dislike of using a pen and paper.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,516.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. I'm trying to read through the King James. It's more difficult, but from the standpoint of tradition, it's a version I'd like to read.

You might try a bible that has the KJV in parallel to a modern version.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You could choose a lectionary and focus on the specific readings for the day. The good thing about lectionaries is that they force you to read parts of the bible that might tend to ignore or not invest as much time in.

As for what lectionary, i have no recommendations.

Upvote 0

AKAP

Jul 16, 2017
South USA
✟1,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

After reading the word of God for decades I would suggest that you start with the 4 gospel writers and then compare and contrast their style and contents. Next read the other books of the NT except the Book of Revelation. See how these other books contrast and compare with the 4 gospel writers.
Then go into the OT and read Proverbs and the Psalms, and Isaiah. All this is meant to reinforce your belief in Jesus Christ and God. Once you feel confident in all this reading, then begin to write a first-cut commentary of those sections you have already read. The objective is to really know God and your savio(u)r, Jesus Christ. Always pray for wisdom with the spirit of truth with you to guide your understanding.

Bless you

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have often wondered where to start. I have read all the NT and part of the OT. I just read through it basically.

Recently I want to read scripture again. But, not read this time but 'Study' 'Digest' 'Understand'.

Only through prayer can I 'read' scripture. I am asking God where should I go in scripture first. I am drawn towards Gospel of John and Revelations and Daniel but not sure yet.
Book of John. Then Romans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Book of John. Then Romans.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2010
Brisbane
✟14,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I read the Bible from one book to another, cover to cover, but whenever a topic catches my attention I focus on it and scour through the Bible to find answers.

By focusing on a topic, like Capital punishment, the Rapture, Once Saved, Always Saved, Catholicism or whatever, and looking for the answers it becomes challenging. To get to the truth we have to go from book to book, listen to this person and that person, read this commentary and that etc until we are satisfied with our understanding of the subject ... thereafter we have to learn enough to Scripturally defend our beliefs. It is no good saying, "This is what I believe", unless we can show Biblically why we believe. Keep an open mind as we get led down the garden path from time to time. Listen to everyone but believe the Bible alone.

If someone challenges your belief with a particular verse/passage, wear the Bible out to discover a sound rebuttal of what they say ... or change your understanding. It's a very challenging way of learning the Bible.

I don't profess to have it all correct but I can sure offer Biblical reasoning for what I believer. Just going along with a particular denominations doctrines leaves your understanding in someone else's hands ... they may be wrong so be a Berean and check things out yourself.

God bless,
Mick

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Good to read from both Old and New Testaments. A Psalm per day, maybe, plus a chapter of a Gospel or an Epistle.

Good to look out for Messianic content in the Psalms as you read them.

Remember also that the church began in Acts 2. Acts 2.41-42 is a good guide for church activities today, supplemented by the Epistles.

As you read more, you will find more and more to be refreshingly familiar to you.

Upvote 0