How do I choose what passage or book to read?

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have tried the systematic approach, where you read the books in order, and got fed up when I finished leviticus, Ive tried reading a new testament book every day, but felt they were becoming too familiar. and Ive tried reading a random chapter. that seemed disjointed.

whats a good way to decide what to read that will ensure enjoyment of reading?

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I have often wondered where to start. I have read all the NT and part of the OT. I just read through it basically.

Recently I want to read scripture again. But, not read this time but 'Study' 'Digest' 'Understand'.

Only through prayer can I 'read' scripture. I am asking God where should I go in scripture first. I am drawn towards Gospel of John and Revelations and Daniel but not sure yet.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have tried the systematic approach, where you read the books in order, and got fed up when I finished leviticus, Ive tried reading a new testament book every day, but felt they were becoming too familiar. and Ive tried reading a random chapter. that seemed disjointed.

Systematically I have never gotten farther than Judges in one attempt (over a long period not one day) but I am in a mixed bible study, OT in order and wisdom books and then I guess NT and other books every day, like now we are in Genesis and Job at the same time. I think the group and the mixing helps. Probably discussion in a group is the most helpful for motivation to keep going and really read.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Pray seeking YHWH'S KINGDOM TODAY - to serve HIM TODAY.

Think what would happen if someone handed you an 850 page book,
and told you quite simply and truthfully (as is the case) ,
"If you read this book, you will find out how to prevent Leukemia, and how to treat it if it ever occurs in someone." .....

How much time would you spend reading that book ?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still recommend going through the NT from front to back, skipping Revelation. It's important to get all of that under your belt and into your head. The NT forms the real operating principles and mission of the Church. The NT is the fodder from which the Holy Spirit will tell you what you should do with your own day.

Then I'd do Genesis, Exodus, Joshua, Judges, and the Samuels as "prequels." That's what the 2nd century Christians actually said to Marcion's proposition that the OT should be scrapped: "How would we know how we came to be here without the [OT] scriptures?"

Psalms is useful the entire time for prayer material. Some Psalms every day, and highlight the ones that harmonize with your own spirit, so you can quickly go back to those when you need to.

Then set a long-term plan to read the rest, but going back frequently to re-digest the NT.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't think I could read it outright. I believe it takes careful study. This is what I am aiming to do. Read it slowly and try to digest it with God's guidance.

I been told to pray and ask God to guide you before you read any scripture.

• Useful
Reactions: DeerGlow
Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My favorite suggestion is John and Proverbs. Don't rush and try to finish or your wasting your time, go slow and absorb it like a sponge. No sense in reading something your not gonna get fed from, slow down, absorb, think on it. Its like reading the worlds most famous novel and at the end they all ask you did you like it and whats it about, then ya start stuttering duh duh duh, its not about quantity but quality. Often I can stay on one single verse for 2-3 days because its like God is trying to reveal something in it to me, listen to the Spirit of God, He's a wonderful teacher. ;)

c5c3290a09e3eef10e4303d2730cc1e4.jpg

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I first read Leviticus I thought it was boring. But then I listened to nearly 20 hours of Leviticus podcast and I left thinking it was an amazing book. It's really about your study materials. Rather than picking a book to read I would pick a book to study in depth. There is just so much under the surface of every book of the Bible.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I've only read through the Bible once cover-to-cover, using an NIV Chronological Bible. Reading through the Bible in a group does help. I'm in one now with DeerGlow and ByTheSpirit. It's working out well. Join us.

• Agree
Reactions: DeerGlow
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Then there's the matter of which Bible version you should read!
True. I'm trying to read through the King James. It's more difficult, but from the standpoint of tradition, it's a version I'd like to read.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You may enjoy reading the Old Testament some. Books like Song of Songs, Hosea, Ruth, Psalms, Proverbs and Job are very good.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the Bible In A Year e-mail subscription. Every day for one year there are verses from Psalms + Old Testament + New Testament and some commentary, insights and prayer. In a year you will have read the entire Bible. I have only used the e-mail service I don't know what the app is like.
bibleinoneyear.org

Also I have read a novel version of the Bible which was great because all that begetting in the Old Testament is exhausting. It really gave me a closeness to the history and characters which brought it all alive for me.
Book of God (Reissue)

Upvote 0

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've only read through the Bible once cover-to-cover, using an NIV Chronological Bible. Reading through the Bible in a group does help. I'm in one now with DeerGlow and ByTheSpirit. It's working out well. Join us.

how do i go about that?

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

If you're trying to work your way through the entire Bible...

I've seen reading plans and "One-Year" Bibles that work through it systematically, but include a passage from each of the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs (yes, I'm aware that these are in the Old Testament also) each day. I've found that it breaks it up a bit and makes it easier to persevere in reading through some of the tougher Old Testament books, while still having some sense of flow. (But what works for me may not work for you, who knows?)

EDIT: Oh, I see someone else has already suggested a similar plan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
how do i go about that?

We are following a plan I found on YouVersion and discussing on CF, I can add you to our conversation if you want to join us.

Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

Love-Grace

Jul 3, 2017
Liverpool
✟8,224.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You can use something like 'Search the Scriptures' which will help you to have a balance between old and new testaments. Following this will allow you to read the whole bible in 3 years. It also contains questions at the end of the devotion to help stretch your mind and to find the answers in scripture.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The Two Trumpets...

The Spirit
The Word

In my teenage years I never would make it through the Books of Moses either. Until I was Spirit filled after a summer of revival. Then I could not get enough of it! I am in hopes that you are finding some of the Spirit in your worship services. The Spirit of God will create a hunger for the Word of God.

Upvote 0