How do you use Biblical Greek to support your bible study?

VanlifeSam

Mar 10, 2024
Taiwan
✟1,242.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I saw a thread here which was using Biblical Greek in a weird way in order to support their theological idea, but it really didn't support their idea at all. I've become quite interested in practicing my Biblical greek after discovering the scripturial app, and it has me wondering how do people use the fruit of their biblical greek study in order to get to know the Bible better? What have you found helpful or unhelpful in terms of using Greek to good effect? What have you found unhelpful? How much time did it take for you to become comfortable actually reading the Bible in the original languages? What insights have you had from reading in the original Greek that weren't immediately obvious to you when reading in the English?

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is the other way around.

The Greeks do not have it originally well, they have it confused, because the Greeks seek wisdom, which is a stumblingblock to having faith in Jesus Christ, due to the wisdom of this world being foolishness with God, and God turning the wisdom of this world into foolishness, through the foolishness/weakness of the cross, which is the power of God and His strength/wisdom.

1 Corinthians 1:8 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

If anyone has any questions or statements of any verses that are better in Original Greek, then I will answer.

Upvote 0

VanlifeSam

Mar 10, 2024
Taiwan
✟1,242.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is the other way around.

The Greeks do not have it originally well, they have it confused, because the Greeks seek wisdom, which is a stumblingblock to having faith in Jesus Christ, due to the wisdom of this world being foolishness with God, and God turning the wisdom of this world into foolishness, through the foolishness/weakness of the cross, which is the power of God and His strength/wisdom.
Of course you're welcome to contribute, but perhaps you could read my question again, my question is specifically for people who have gone through the process of learning to read the Bible in the original language.

If you are not interested in reading the original words written by Paul himself, then this thread is not applicable to you. I am explicitly interested in learning from the experience of those who have spent the time to learn how to read the Bible in the original language.

PS: I am genuinely curious, do you really think there is no value in the church today, for people learning to read the original languages? It is honestly a little surprising to me, so I am very curious.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I look at the various other translations of the same word. As you know, the definition is almost always determined by the context of the passage. I look at that and see the possible differences. I also use the literal translations and Robert's Word Pictures as well as Vincents.

Upvote 0

ComeLordJesus

Apr 22, 2024
New Jersey
✟301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find that there are nuances that I don't pick up on in the English.

For example. John 21. The wordplay between Jesus and Peter with love agape/phileo. Or to see the emphasis that Christ is putting on the "but I say to you" statements in Matthew 5, which really highlight His command of authority over the traditions of the Pharisees. The phraseology on Matthew 9:36 is interesting, in that it gives a better understanding of what Christ was saying with the sheep without a shepherd and what that meant. For the most part I don't see anything that's is all that much different from an English translation, but every once in a while I get a little something out of it that I never saw before.

Upvote 0