Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What's the point in making money if you're just at work all day anyways?
If you have money and love your job you have the best of both worlds.

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What's the point in making money if you're just at work all day anyways?
Early retirement, heck, even a comfortable retirement.
Besides, it’s rare people work more than 5 days a week. That leaves evenings and days off for enjoyment.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Besides, it’s rare people work more than 5 days a week. That leaves evenings and days off for enjoyment.
Some people find enjoyment in...making money. ;)

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I use a credit card and pay the balance in full every month. I save money by not owing interest, and also by earning cash rewards. Rather than opting for travel, gift cards, or trinkets, the reward money contributes to paying off the balance. Doing this helps me maintain a good credit score which can help me save money in the future.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟214,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You're right. It's for comfortable retirement.
That means you're just living for the weekend.

Upvote 0

pen_and_poetry

Kale Queen
Nov 25, 2022
Orange county, CA
✟25,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Today, I successfully avoided buying a latte and a muffin at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf across the street from my work. They are not cheap and only offer emotional support, nothing more. lol. It's a struggle. I'd happily fork over $10 a day for those two things if I had endless cash.

Yesterday I thought about buying a necklace at the mall on my lunch--and I walked over a good way to buy it--but decided not to when they didn't have a good complementary earring, and I didn't own one already. Decided to save the $20+tax.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟123,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Took a lot of effort but I saved quite a bit of money with digital coupons at meijer's and using the shop and scan app. Any of the items that weren't coming up discounted, I took pictures of the advertisements next to the product and showed those that check out. Currently there was a deal if you spend $50 you get $15 for your next purchase.

I also cross compared, as I know that toilet paper and garbage bags are cheaper at Walmart. I get bigger discounts with digital coupons for laundry products, sometimes Ziploc, but I will try store brands also for certain sizes.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I prefer to buy higher quality lower cost items when available, and avoid paying a premium for name brands. Reliability, durability, and design are more important to me than the label. Not that I deliberately avoid name brands, as some have a well-deserved reputation for value or better parts availability, but I do like to shop around first.

For instance, I just bought a new watch for $20. It's lighter, more accurate, more durable, and in my opinion better looking than similarly featured watches costing many times more. Can I afford something more expensive? Yes. Would it make sense for me? No. And I'll probably keep it forever. Some higher end purchases can be justified on the basis of "buy nice or buy twice", but for other items the cons outweigh the pros. A lot comes down to what it's worth to the buyer. For others, it might be worth spending more. I try to be sensible with most purchases, preferring to save and occasionally splurge on hobbies and interests.

When I go grocery shopping later today, I will mostly opt for store brands or generic items. If they're on sale and unlikely to spoil, I may also stock up on certain things. Unfortunately, I tend to neglect coupons. That's one area where I have room for improvement.

• Agree
Reactions: sampa

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟123,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
buy nice or buy twice
That's a great saying! It definitely depends on the product that I'm buying. There's multiple products that I buy more than two times. If I find something that I like and can't find something comparable to replace it, I will buy the same product again.

For example my clear plastic tablecloth cover sometimes has to be replaced. Maybe once a year. I like the look of embroidered white linen, but to keep it clean I need a plastic tablecloth over. It works for Holiday linen also when I am hosting. My family traditionally doesn't put a cover over the linen cloth, but every once in awhile there is an accident and I don't want to spend the time trying to clean it up.
prefer to buy higher quality lower cost items when available, and avoid paying a premium for name brands. Reliability, durability, and design are more important to me than the label.
I try to do the same. For quite some years I bought not name brand cell phones that were comparable to premium. They did the job then for what I needed, but most recently I had to buy a name brand because of the features I was looking for.

When it came to a smartwatch, I put a list side by side of the name brand that I was used to next to a newer name brand. I went by the same price point. Talked it over with a co-worker that runs like me. She verified that the brand I was looking at is very popular with top runners. But after the fact 5 months later she told me I should have gotten a name brand one because the higher end were comparable in price. I still don't regret my purchase, as it has transitioned to me with aqua jogging. The other one that I was considering at the same price point didn't have an indoor pool feature. It's about the only thing that motivates me to keep going because I can post it on Strava and be encouraged by my coworker to keep going. It's also the first time having something with strength training, that motivates me to get through my workouts.
just bought a new watch for $20. It's lighter, more accurate, more durable, and in my opinion better looking than similarly
I'm glad that you were able to find a watch at the price point of $20. Watches should not be that expensive, unless you're looking for a smartwatch. I haven't bought a dress watch it in 15 years or so, and I think it will be time for an update. I don't expect to pay as much as I did for a smart smartwatch.
A lot comes down to what it's worth to the buyer. For others, it might be worth spending more. I try to be sensible with most purchases, preferring to save and occasionally splurge on hobbies and interests.
I agree!!!!!

Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0