How did you save money today?

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Are you a dealer or a collector? That's a lot of guitars.
I own 4 electric guitars (one I didn’t buy), 1 bass, 2 acoustics (one I didn’t buy), and a couple amps. And a few pedals. I play all of them every now and again, though some of them are acting up. I don’t deal, I don’t know the first thing about dealing.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I own 4 electric guitars (one I didn’t buy), 1 bass, 2 acoustics (one I didn’t buy), and a couple amps. And a few pedals. I play all of them every now and again, though some of them are acting up. I don’t deal, I don’t know the first thing about dealing.

Dealing: Buy cheap, sell for a profit.

I play (strum) as well, have a couple of acoustic guitars, and a mandolin (that I don't play). I had an electric guitar but I gave it to my grandson. Played bit of 5-string banjo years ago but gave that up. I rarely play anymore (I do play the radio however).

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Food and cleaning products with no additives is healthier.
Great tips. I switched to mostly natural a decade ago, health reasons and it is cheaper.

Last year I decided to give up Starbucks.
I did some years without it and saved lots of money, I only slipped back into it during the pandemic as my sort of destress luxery. I will probably slow down again soon. All the employees like my vintage black card. Most of them have never seen it. Its because I didn't buy enough to get the next level card. I gave up sugar in coffee back in 2009. But every once in a while get a special.

Low fat milk, wwbread, bananas, apples, oranges, potatoes, organic carrots, Smucker's peanut butter, organic eggs, organic half 'n half, canned tuna and salmon, frozen fish fillets, whole grain crackers, low sodium canned soups, boneless/skinless chicken breasts, some cheeses. These make up my main diet.
All of these I've gotten coupons in the mail for or I've found them digital through my two main grocery stores. Some of it I purchase at Aldi's if I think its cheaper for the same product than with the coupon and vice versa, sometimes the meat is cheaper with the coupon than what Aldi offers. I buy pretty much all organic for produce except the ones that aren't part of the dirty dozen fruits and vegetables.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Dealing: Buy cheap, sell for a profit.

I play (strum) as well, have a couple of acoustic guitars, and a mandolin (that I don't play). I had an electric guitar but I gave it to my grandson. Played bit of 5-string banjo years ago but gave that up. I rarely play anymore (I do play the radio however).
Yeaaahhh, I can tell you right now I’m not selling any of those for a profit, especially in their current condition. I don’t make any particular effort to save money, but buying Great Value and Equate at WalMart isn’t as bad as people might think.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeaaahhh, I can tell you right now I’m not selling any of those for a profit, especially in their current condition.

Since we're already way off topic, which guitar is your favorite that you own? Mine: Ibanez RG series. It's not my rathers (which would be a Les Paul) but it's sufficient. :)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Great tips. I switched to mostly natural a decade ago, health reasons and it is cheaper.[

I make my own laundry and dishwasher detergent and carpet deodorizer. I found a great brand for hand and dish soap. It’s more expensive but isn’t drying.

I did some years without it and saved lots of money, I only slipped back into it during the pandemic as my sort of destress luxery.

The stores were closed for awhile. We don’t have drive throughs in the area. You have to go inside coffee shops. To minimize our exposure during the pandemic we’ve let a few things go.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I make my own laundry and dishwasher detergent and carpet deodorizer. I found a great brand for hand and dish soap. It’s more expensive but isn’t drying.

The stores were closed for awhile. We don’t have drive throughs in the area. You have to go inside coffee shops. To minimize our exposure during the pandemic we’ve let a few things go.
That's awesome!! I had a friend make some for me before and it was amazing. I'm not at that point yet to do that. I guess I can understand on the drive-thrus. I prefer actually walking in. I have knit string gloves that I wear for any visits to the stores. They easily come on and off when I need to reach for my wallet or if I want to touch my face or hair and act as great barriers. Tons more laundry to do with 20 knit gloves, but knock on wood I've been very fortunate with preventive measures. I like to see what they have brewed before I order. there's certain coffees I don't like and I might have to request a pour over.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Since we're already way off topic, which guitar is your favorite that you own? Mine: Ibanez RG series. It's not my rathers (which would be a Les Paul) but it's sufficient. :)
It’s a hard choice, but I think I play my Fender Duo-Sonic the most.

• Winner
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Great tips. I switched to mostly natural a decade ago, health reasons and it is cheaper.

I did some years without it and saved lots of money, I only slipped back into it during the pandemic as my sort of destress luxery. I will probably slow down again soon. All the employees like my vintage black card. Most of them have never seen it. Its because I didn't buy enough to get the next level card. I gave up sugar in coffee back in 2009. But every once in a while get a special.

All of these I've gotten coupons in the mail for or I've found them digital through my two main grocery stores. Some of it I purchase at Aldi's if I think its cheaper for the same product than with the coupon and vice versa, sometimes the meat is cheaper with the coupon than what Aldi offers. I buy pretty much all organic for produce except the ones that aren't part of the dirty dozen fruits and vegetables.

Another thing is that I spend so little on food that I can pass on the coupons. Too much work for too little return. Of course when I had a family back in the day it was necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A budget helps so much. I worked mine out so I know how much I can afford to spend on food & gas each week, and I try to stay within that limit.

For food, I shop around. One store for this, another for that, and I keep it down to about 3 stores to keep it simple.

The pandemic has thrown a wrench into how I do this, I eliminated one store I used to shop from because of cart sanitizing issues. This increased how much I'm spending on food, but since I'm working from home now, I'm not spending nearly as much on gas.

I very rarely eat out. I cook instead. Three days worth of leftovers, then cook again. One good thing about working from home is better lunches with more flexibility as to what I eat.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A budget helps so much. I worked mine out so I know how much I can afford to spend on food & gas each week, and I try to stay within that limit

That's key, for me. A budget tells me what I have to expend. The closer I track my spending, the more I have to save. Always.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A budget helps so much. I worked mine out so I know how much I can afford to spend on food & gas each week, and I try to stay within that limit.
Same, mine is more complex though. I have mine 15 months planned out and adjust 1-2x a week.

down to about 3 stores to keep it simple.
Same here, makes things easier.

The pandemic has thrown a wrench into how I do this,
For me also. Mine was because I had to stock up on certain things I knew I would need and wasn't sure what supply would be like the next 2-3 months.

I very rarely eat out. I cook instead.
Me too and even less with the pandemic.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I might be moving in with a friend and his step-brother when Summer rolls around, and it would be my first real time living alone. I used to work at a baptist encampment in Glen Rose, TX, and I would live out there during the Summer, and when I did my two internships.

I probably need to start putting a budget together, even though rent won’t be too expensive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Agnos

thriving
Mar 9, 2020
Nowherelandia
✟10,602.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How did you save money today?

By being frugal I save money (almost) everyday.

House bills, food, personal hygiene. That's it.

Minimalism. The rest aren't daily necessities.

I also trim my own hair since high school.

Same shoes, same shirts, same jeans from years ago.

I don't have too many. It's always this or that.

And you keep them well so they last a long time.

There's not a lot to spend on really.. Besides quality gadgets.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

House bills, food, personal hygiene. That's it.

Minimalism. The rest aren't daily necessities.

I also trim my own hair since high school.

Same shoes, same shirts, same jeans from years ago.

I don't have too many. It's always this or that.

And you keep them well so they last a long time.

There's not a lot to spend on really.. Besides quality gadgets.

I've been trimming my own hair as well since Covid closed my barber shop (doesn't look too bad as long as I wear a hat). ^_^

As a working person I can wear the same clothes everyday; khaki's and a sweatshirt, T-shirt in summer.

I have owned only two cars in the past 21 years. I retired the first one with 465,000 miles on it. The one I have now has 407,000 miles on it. However so many small things don't work I'm going to replace it this spring. I bought both used and will buy the next one used as well.

My friends laugh at me, but I laugh all the way to the bank. :D

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
would be my first real time living alone.
Oh wow, that's a big move. But at least you will have people you will share space with that will save money. Yes, it would be good to get an excel sheet started to figure things ahead. Also maybe even savings if you wish for your own future place. I've never been good at saving,its my mom and stepdad that have pushed me with it.

That's great!!!! It will take you far.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Oh wow, that's a big move. But at least you will have people you will share space with that will save money. Yes, it would be good to get an excel sheet started to figure things ahead. Also maybe even savings if you wish for your own future place. I've never been good at saving,its my mom and stepdad that have pushed me with it.

That's great!!!! It will take you far.
Yeah, I imagine it would be different because i never paid rent at the Baptist camp, but I’d be paying about $400 a month here

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I imagine it would be different because i never paid rent at the Baptist camp, but I’d be paying about $400 a month here
That's a decent price.. I have lived in places that I got my rent out low... But I also had complications later on because the place was so old that the foundation had sunk in and the crawl space was coming up into the house. it made my eyes swell and I got very sick and I have no idea that was the problem for 3 years till I moved out. But I take it that you are splitting the rent with others?

Upvote 0