How did the universe come into existence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps I should also add:

Yours and His,
David

Psalm 90
1 LORD, Thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations.
2 Before the mountains were born,
Or Thou didst give birth to the earth and the world,
Even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God.
There is a reason, I want to stay on topic. but a little later.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think this is a reasonable answer?
It is a reasonable answer, given the topic.

Tell me how many ways you think it is possible for the universe to come into existence. For you, I am going to list what we have at this point. Correct me it I am wrong:

1) random chance happening
2) an inevitable happening
3) a Superior Being with the knowledge and ability to create
4) we don't know how it happened

Add to the list, if you have another possibility. Thanks

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Hi again Nicholas, yes, that's true, but no matter what you believe, reliable "evidence" in this particular case, is more than a little hard to come by (don't you think ;))?

What "evidence" can you offer for one of the other theories concerning the beginning of all things? (if there was a beginning, that is ;)) The latter theory is what our OP author, being a Mormon, would espouse, that ALL THINGS have ALWAYS existed, and that God is the "Rearranger" of all these things (and the "Creator" of nothing).

Yours and His,
David
Your getting a little ahead of yourself with the Mormon comment. So stay on topic for just a little while longer, until we have exhausted all the possibilties for the universe to come into existence.

Do you have anything to add to the list of possibilities?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I think there's not enough evidence for any position to believe anything. Some apologists, William Lane Craig being one of them, cherry pick scientific statements and use them to try and make the case that their viewpoint should be believed. I'm sure some overzealous people on the opposite side of the aisle do the same thing.

Seems to me the intellectually honest answer is "I don't know".
Thank you again for adding this to our list.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
What you wrote isn't evidence that what you believe to be true is actually true.

The proof is written in Genesis chapter one, which is the entire History of God's creation of the perfect Heaven, including future events at the end of the present 6th Day/Age. It's empirical (testable) evidence of God which agrees in every way with every discovery of mankind. Only God could have written our History thousands of years ago. Want scientific proof?

Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We could all be part of a 3-D simulation program developed by super beings or machine.

I do not know if you would call it God or gods or a computer developed it for someone/something?

Would it be harder or easier to make a 3-D program then it would be to make a literal world?

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The proof is written in Genesis chapter one, which is the entire History of God's creation of the perfect Heaven, including future events at the end of the present 6th Day/Age. It's empirical (testable) evidence of God which agrees in every way with every discovery of mankind. Only God could have written our History thousands of years ago. Want scientific proof?

Isa 46:10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all My pleasure:

Even if Genesis is an accurate account of the universe (which I don't see being the case... at all) it's not evidence that a god exists. It's, at best, an indication that a book predicted actual events. Books predict things all the time.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
So you are agreeing that God had to be the one that created the universe.

Is there any other possiblilites for you?

God created and told us in detail HOW He created, since Genesis is currently being confirmed by Science and History. A good example is the Scientific Fact announced in July 2016, that all life came forth from water. www.smithsonianmag.com/.../behold-luca-last-universal-common-ancestor-life-earth-...

God told us the SAME thing more than 3k years ago:

Gen 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after Their kind, and every winged fowl after His kind: and God saw that it was good.

No ancient man could have possibly known this thousands of years before Science. Only the people of the last days can understand that God hid His Truth in the future discoveries of Science. This can only be understood by the last generation before Jesus returns. Dan 12:4

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Thank you, but other than God, is there any other way for you that the universe came into existence?

No, since God's Truth is the Truth in every way.

Scientifically, life on planet Earth came forth from water. Science Gen 1:21 agrees.

Historically, Human civilization began in the valleys just SW of Lake Van, Turkey in the mountains of Ararat and EVERY trait of modern Humans can be traced to the area known as the Fertile Crescent, the cradle of civilization. It's where Noah planted his grapes. History and Scripture agree. Map: Fertile Cresent, 9000 to 4500 BCE

God's Truth is the Truth in every way IF you have the proper interpretation of Genesis One.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Even if Genesis is an accurate account of the universe (which I don't see being the case... at all) it's not evidence that a god exists. It's, at best, an indication that a book predicted actual events. Books predict things all the time.

God's Truth MUST agree with every other discovered Truth or it is NOT God's Truth. That's what the people of the last days are being shown from Genesis chapter One. A good example is the Fact that God told us more than 3k years ago that "every living creature that moveth" came forth from WATER. Gen 1:21

Science confirmed this Fact in July 2016. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/science/last-universal-ancestor.html

It's proof of God and the beginning of God pouring out His Spirit of Truth upon ALL the people of the last days, including scientists, skeptics and unbelievers:

Act 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon ALL flesh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Fine. I created the universe.. I was bored and conjured from my imagination some material from the immaterial world I live in and just threw something together and waited to see what stuck.. then I started manipulating it.. and playing with it.. got bored and let you all sort it out... now we can all stop bickering..

(It's Friday.. I'm in a mood)

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Fine. I created the universe.. I was bored and conjured from my imagination some material from the immaterial world I live in and just threw something together and waited to see what stuck.. then I started manipulating it.. and playing with it.. got bored and let you all sort it out... now we can all stop bickering..

You did a terrible job.

• Haha
Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think a number of the responses here are basically "canned religious arguments" that probably miss the point. As I have posted before, I am happy to accept the notion that God created the universe. But I politely suggest one has one's head in the sand if one believes such an explanation really ties things up in a neat little bow.

No matter how you look at this question, I suggest we are faced with complete, total, unfathomable mystery.

I know the standard fundamentalist schtick on this: God created the world, and God is neither created nor constrained by time; therefore problem solved. I think is the mother of all evasions precisely because, as minds far greater than mine (e.g. Immanuel Kant) have argued that the human mind cannot make sense out of concepts likes "uncaused causes" and "timelessness".

So we can repeat the standard fundie arguments till the cows come home, but they really do cash to an exercize in evading the real question. I am perfectly happy to respect the profound mystery (and therefore reject the standard fundie answer) and still believe God created the universe.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist

Your theory lacks power. It's the one thing God needed in order to have something to change into matter. God told us HOW He did it:

Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Doesn't say from nothing but from things which were not seen, like energy. It's what Albert Einstein discovered 100 years ago. Energy and matter are two sides of the same coin...and guess where God lives?

1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

Light equals energy.

Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your theory lacks power. It's the one thing God needed in order to have something to change into matter. God told us HOW He did it:

Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Doesn't say from nothing but from things which were not seen, like energy. It's what Albert Einstein discovered 100 years ago. Energy and matter are two sides of the same coin...and guess where God lives?

1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

Light equals energy.

LOLOLOLOL Okay that actually made my day lolol "Your theory lacks power" lololol

rofl

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.