Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,779.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There is a ton of stuff to watch on You Tube that does not come from t.v. sources. You can develop a hobby there. For my own personal example, I have found fantastic teachers in the areas of art. There are historical, social interest, and Christian videos of countless kinds.

I used to also watch alternative news sources on YT but found them to ultimately be too upsetting, whether they were right or not. I figure I can only vote twice in 4 years and already know what my biggest issues are, so why get stressed out by them? There are wonderful nature vids that can actually help you be soothed and inspired instead, for example.

And all those funny, sometimes heart lifting, animal vids are great. Here is my very favorite, of a goat who decided to be a seeing eye "dog" for a horse that was going blind.

We can read the news too. (Though I trust little of it.) There is no need whatsoever to be brainwashed by what is rightfully called t.v. "programming."

• Friendly
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I use television only for the occasional sporting event or movies I select from a streaming service or on-demand from my cable company. I suspect I watch no more than four hours a week. I spend more time reading or watching content of interest to me on YouTube. When I was a kid we had only three major network channels but could always find something to watch. It's a sad statement that I now have over 100 cable channels and can find very little worth watching. And, I don't require background noise; in fact I prefer not to have it.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is simple, but I am not here to force anyone to do anything. If it meets this standard watch what you like. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Phillipians 4:8. I find it better most of the time to read a book or do a Bible study or read the Word and pray and meditate. Maybe even get up and go help someone or look for someone that can use help. Call the pastor or priest and ask, he knows who they are.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I hardly watch TV. It happened like a joke. I read a book on time management and I felt like I needed to stop spending too much time watching TV. I stopped paying my cable subscription and I just didn't bother about TV any more. Its been three years now, and I haven't spent more than 2 hours at any given time. But whenever I sleep over at my sister's place, I go back to my old habit again. I know I'll not be watching any at my end so I just give in to it at hers but I still don't spend long hours watching it.

Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How a Christian should watch t.v.: Pick up the T.V. Take it out to the trash. Watch it fall into the trash, because trash is what it mostly is about. There are many studies showing that people go into a mild hypnotic state when watching it. You think that's a coincidence? No, the better to sell you the propaganda and the products, my dear.

We all know t.v. is overflowing with anti Biblical values and messages, and that frequently includes their ads.

Children who watch much t.v. suffer cognitively and are more likely to be violent.

Years ago the Father told me to watch zero t.v. It took awhile to break the habit, with prayer, but I did and now have zero interest in it. This actually applies to most of secular entertainment.

I go into a mildly hypnotic trance when Everton are passing the ball about and getting nowhere.

Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I haven't read every reply, so forgive me if I repeat.

The TV is a major success for the decay of our morality, and they do it gradually.

I remember cocking my head the first time "God" was said instead of "gosh" or as
"Damn" became normal on TV these expressions became everyday usage in our culture.
Have you noticed TV is now showing, in shows AND commercials, mixed couples as
though it's the norm. I'm even beginning to question if mixing couples is a big deal, will probably make a separate post on that
Couples living together became norm.

Almost every corruption in our culture seems as though TV slid it in slyly through the wires
and laughed as we took our cue from actors and programmers.

Upvote 0

ladyarianrod

Jul 3, 2005
Northeast USA
✟9,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I haven't read every reply, so forgive me if I repeat.

The TV is a major success for the decay of our morality, and they do it gradually.

I remember cocking my head the first time "God" was said instead of "gosh" or as
"Damn" became normal on TV these expressions became everyday usage in our culture.
Have you noticed TV is now showing, in shows AND commercials, mixed couples as
though it's the norm. I'm even beginning to question if mixing couples is a big deal, will probably make a separate post on that
Couples living together became norm.

Almost every corruption in our culture seems as though TV slid it in slyly through the wires
and laughed as we took our cue from actors and programmers.
They even say [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] on kids shows now!

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0