Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, what I really am interested is in peoples views about watching TV.
And what do they do.
I was discussing this with my brother and sister in law today.
I have found that living on my own I have sometimes kept the TV on just for some background noise which even writing, sounds ridiculous as I could have music on (I AM doing this more now as I have some beautiful Scripture Songs).
I feel awful as it was pointed out that even if the commercials are offensive ( and more and more are) I should turn them off.

In Australia, shamefully there is a Gay Mardi Gras coming up (Hugely popular and super publicised, including on the news) and the ads are dreadful, the amount of programs now embracing the LGBT movement even " family shows" is astounding.
Yes, get rid of the TV, I would if I wasn't on my own, but having had this pointed out to me ( and of course God convicting me), I have decided to be super vigilant and only have it on when there is something on that is good ie documentary, ( yes I vet them too ) or a movie or something that is not ungodly.

How does everybody else manage this?

I used to think I needed to see some stuff because I needed to know what is going on but this lead to a slow creeping in (like the frog in the pan!)
A pretty good way to monitor this is " would I like to be watching this with Jesus?"
That sorts things out very quickly!

We must be so careful now.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And what do they do.
I have found that living on my own I have sometimes kept the TV on just for some background noise which even writing, sounds ridiculous as I could have music on (I AM doing this more now as I have some beautiful Scripture Songs).
I feel awful as it was pointed out that even if the commercials are offensive ( and more and more are) I should turn them off.

In Australia, shamefully there is a Gay Mardi Gras coming up (Hugely popular and super publicised, including on the news) and the ads are dreadful, the amount of programs now embracing the LGBT movement even " family shows" is astounding.
Yes, get rid of the TV, I would if I wasn't on my own, but having had this pointed out to me ( and of course God convicting me), I have decided to be super vigilant and only have it on when there is something on that is good ie documentary, ( yes I vet them too ) or a movie or something that is not ungodly.

I used to think I needed to see some stuff because I needed to know what is going on but this lead to a slow creeping in (like the frog in the pan!)
A pretty good way to monitor this is " would I like to be watching this with Jesus?"

Speaking as someone who has worked in the television business for nearly thirty years I can tell if you want background noise put on EWTN.

Funny that as I am writing this there is on one monitor an ad for Brokeback Mountain.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And what do they do.

I don't watch television anymore. I mostly use the internet for any viewing. I try to keep most things I watch either Biblical or productive or both nowadays.

I don't think it's good to rely on your own discernment and ability to be vigilant.

I sympathise because of your situation. I know having your whole life be about Christianity related things can seem bad at first but I listened to a sermon about Bible memorisation and reading earlier which helped. The main message was consistency. Seeing as you're posting on a forum I assume you have internet access? You can have much more control over what you are viewing on the internet so I would suggest using it over a television.

You could get some blutooth headphones for while you are doing housework and listen to the Bible? Or do what I did and listen to downloaded sermons and the Bible on an mp3 player. I enjoy going on a walk and listening to a sermon when I can (usually of an early morning). Anyway, back to memorisation. It seems boring when it first comes to mind but I just downloaded e-sword (which I'll post a link to at the bottom) and I'm looking forward to learning. I'm sure there'll be ups and downs but the key is consistency.

Sorry if this seems not connected to your question/post but it was on my mind as I just listened to the sermon. I wanted to suggest some Biblical ways to pass the time.

Bible memorisation: You Can Memorize the New Testament

E-Sword: e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC (it uses the KJV as standard)

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
And what do they do.

I got rid of my TV years ago. There's only one in the house which is in the living room, and that never turns on unless my folks are visiting.Even then, all they watch is the news and sports, in which I barely join them to watch. Granted I still have my laptop, but I tend to be able to be more in control of what I watch. I don't miss it one bit.

Maybe you don't need to get rid of the TV, but I would imagine getting rid of the cable would help and replace it with an Amazon firestick or something. That way it cut cost and there's more of a control factor there. You can't totally escape big events, since they usually promote in the public areas as well, so that would be an irrational fear, but you can definitely control how much of a presence they can be in the home.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't watch television anymore. I mostly use the internet for any viewing. I try to keep most things I watch either Biblical or productive or both nowadays.

I don't think it's good to rely on your own discernment and ability to be vigilant.

I sympathise because of your situation. I know having your whole life be about Christianity related things can seem bad at first but I listened to a sermon about Bible memorisation and reading earlier which helped. The main message was consistency. Seeing as you're posting on a forum I assume you have internet access? You can have much more control over what you are viewing on the internet so I would suggest using it over a television.

You could get some blutooth headphones for while you are doing housework and listen to the Bible? Or do what I did and listen to downloaded sermons and the Bible on an mp3 player. I enjoy going on a walk and listening to a sermon when I can (usually of an early morning). Anyway, back to memorisation. It seems boring when it first comes to mind but I just downloaded e-sword (which I'll post a link to at the bottom) and I'm looking forward to learning. I'm sure there'll be ups and downs but the key is consistency.

Sorry if this seems not connected to your question/post but it was on my mind as I just listened to the sermon. I wanted to suggest some Biblical ways to pass the time.

Bible memorisation: You Can Memorize the New Testament

E-Sword: e-Sword: Free Bible Study for the PC (it uses the KJV as standard)
Thank you kindly for your post and I appreciate your suggestions. I have only internet access via my phone, no computer. I have some good sites which include good sermons which are very helpful.

As far as life being all about Christianity maybe sounding boring, I think that is exactly what it should be if professing to be Christian, (all about Christianity, not boring!!)

I will take your suggestion of memorisation seriously and will check the site thank you, I have tried and like you said consistency is the answer there ( and prayer).
I hope to keep my TV use limited now.

A funny thing happened tonight, I had about 60 hours of programs taped and yet to watch. When I checked it had all been wiped!

First I was a bit annoyed because there were a few movies I had marked "to keep". There were a couple of Christian movies too, but then I thought " Oh well, its a clean slate!" ;)

Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And what do they do.

Thankful for the DVR ... I record only things I'm pretty sure do not speak nor show things contrary to our Lords principles. Have over 250 channels and maybe.... maybe watch about 5 of them LOL. Also, ability to skip over commercials (of which I find demeaning for the most part) is really really a nice option as well.

News I read online comparing various sources as I can't stand the "attitudes" of many of those "reporting" ... seems to be mostly opinions these days rather than actual reporting.

So much garbage to take out ;o)

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you kindly for your post and I appreciate your suggestions. I have only internet access via my phone, no computer. I have some good sites which include good sermons which are very helpful.

As far as life being all about Christianity maybe sounding boring, I think that is exactly what it should be if professing to be Christian, (all about Christianity, not boring!!)

I will take your suggestion of memorisation seriously and will check the site thank you, I have tried and like you said consistency is the answer there ( and prayer).
I hope to keep my TV use limited now.

A funny thing happened tonight, I had about 60 hours of programs taped and yet to watch. When I checked it had all been wiped!

First I was a bit annoyed because there were a few movies I had marked "to keep". There were a couple of Christian movies too, but then I thought " Oh well, its a clean slate!" ;)
I remembered this short story from a sermon I listened to. I thought it was relevant here:

"The Stranger"

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
And what do they do.

So my father is a painter, and a life long Christian, elder and counselor in the church.

This guy can come home, turn on a football game, and be asleep in 5 minutes, with the game on.
He also routinely will paint a $500 painting, while having the TV on, the entire time.

I am the exact opposite, in nearly every possible way. I can't have the TV on. If someone has a TV on, and I'm trying to sleep, I will be awake all night long, or until the TV is turned off.

If the TV is on, while I'm working... I stop working. Until the TV is off.

But back to your main point about the quality of the garbage on the TV>

Yeah, so pretty much everything you wrote, I agree with. The days of my father, where all the TV channels were pretty clean and family oriented, are now almost completely over. Today, most shows are absolute crap, and the TV commercials themselves are disgusting.

My view is generally, the less media, or the more filtered the media, the better.

Now that's unfair for me to say, because when I moved out from my parents, I sold the only TV I have, and I have not had a TV in over 10 years.

Pretty easy to lecture people on how they should limit TV, when you never watch TV at all. Right? Unfair I know.

But I haven't felt like I'm missing anything. An amusing story.... So I was over at my parents, and I was talking with my father about this very topic, because he was shocked I didn't have a TV. And I pointed out to him exactly what you were talking about, that all the shows are garbage, and everything on TV is disgusting these days.

So he was trying to convince me that cable TV is ok, because he likes watching the History channel, and it's clean! He was saying the History channel doesn't have all this crap on it. And he was watching the history channel when I walked in.

While we were talking.... no joke.... this happened......

A commercial comes on, and it's a ridiculous advertisement for condoms with a guy and multiple girls (clearly not polygamy either). My father is in stunned disbelief.... and says that's the first time he's seen that.....

The very next commercial was Playboy's 'songs of the night' which I guess is supposed to be 'sensual music' with light moaning in the background or some such nonsense.

I couldn't make this stuff up....

Needless to say.... his efforts to convince me of the virtues of cable TV, failed miserably.

My view is, if you can avoid TV, do so. All semblance of having standards and moral underpinnings, are almost completely gone from media these days.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So my father is a painter, and a life long Christian, elder and counselor in the church.

This guy can come home, turn on a football game, and be asleep in 5 minutes, with the game on.
He also routinely will paint a $500 painting, while having the TV on, the entire time.

I am the exact opposite, in nearly every possible way. I can't have the TV on. If someone has a TV on, and I'm trying to sleep, I will be awake all night long, or until the TV is turned off.

If the TV is on, while I'm working... I stop working. Until the TV is off.

But back to your main point about the quality of the garbage on the TV>

Yeah, so pretty much everything you wrote, I agree with. The days of my father, where all the TV channels were pretty clean and family oriented, are now almost completely over. Today, most shows are absolute crap, and the TV commercials themselves are disgusting.

My view is generally, the less media, or the more filtered the media, the better.

Now that's unfair for me to say, because when I moved out from my parents, I sold the only TV I have, and I have not had a TV in over 10 years.

Pretty easy to lecture people on how they should limit TV, when you never watch TV at all. Right? Unfair I know.

But I haven't felt like I'm missing anything. An amusing story.... So I was over at my parents, and I was talking with my father about this very topic, because he was shocked I didn't have a TV. And I pointed out to him exactly what you were talking about, that all the shows are garbage, and everything on TV is disgusting these days.

So he was trying to convince me that cable TV is ok, because he likes watching the History channel, and it's clean! He was saying the History channel doesn't have all this crap on it. And he was watching the history channel when I walked in.

While we were talking.... no joke.... this happened......

A commercial comes on, and it's a ridiculous advertisement for condoms with a guy and multiple girls (clearly not polygamy either). My father is in stunned disbelief.... and says that's the first time he's seen that.....

The very next commercial was Playboy's 'songs of the night' which I guess is supposed to be 'sensual music' with light moaning in the background or some such nonsense.

I couldn't make this stuff up....

Needless to say.... his efforts to convince me of the virtues of cable TV, failed miserably.

My view is, if you can avoid TV, do so. All semblance of having standards and moral underpinnings, are almost completely gone from media these days.

Thank you Andrew, I'm leaning more towards no TV.
I can't have it on if I read, which I do a lot. Sometimes I would just like some light entertainment that I could watch, maybe have a laugh, seriously I find comedy shows some of the worst.

It doesn't matter that you don't have TV at all everyone's opinion is really appreciated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thankful for the DVR ... I record only things I'm pretty sure do not speak nor show things contrary to our Lords principles. Have over 250 channels and maybe.... maybe watch about 5 of them LOL. Also, ability to skip over commercials (of which I find demeaning for the most part) is really really a nice option as well.

News I read online comparing various sources as I can't stand the "attitudes" of many of those "reporting" ... seems to be mostly opinions these days rather than actual reporting.

So much garbage to take out ;o)

We were talking yesterday about ads and how great it would be if you could sift them out. Unfortunately here (in Australia) I don't think you can.
That would make a big difference, I don't watch the news really now because of the dumbing down of what is deemed "news" now.
I'm getting that most watch very little TV if at all?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And what do they do.

It is often hard to go cold turkey, and stop something entirely. I don't actually watch TV, but I do have my own vices, computer games. And I would imagine the same principals apply, the bible tells us:

Ecc 7:16-18 Be not overly righteous, and do not make yourself too wise. Why should you destroy yourself? Be not overly wicked, neither be a fool. Why should you die before your time? It is good that you should take hold of this, and from that withhold not your hand, for the one who fears God shall come out from both of them.

There is a balance in all things in God, he does not want us so strict that we can not have any entertainment, but he also does not want us to act in a way con-try to His will. This balance is something you need to work out between you, God, and your conscience.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
How a Christian should watch t.v.: Pick up the T.V. Take it out to the trash. Watch it fall into the trash, because trash is what it mostly is about. There are many studies showing that people go into a mild hypnotic state when watching it. You think that's a coincidence? No, the better to sell you the propaganda and the products, my dear.

We all know t.v. is overflowing with anti Biblical values and messages, and that frequently includes their ads.

Children who watch much t.v. suffer cognitively and are more likely to be violent.

Years ago the Father told me to watch zero t.v. It took awhile to break the habit, with prayer, but I did and now have zero interest in it. This actually applies to most of secular entertainment.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't watch tv anymore, not even the news. If anything, play some nature/wildlife shows. If you have fancy tv programs, get rid of them. My tv picks up like, 2 channels so even though it doesn't sound like much, there's actually alot of junk on those channels! Stick to dvds so you have full control.

Upvote 0