Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think the correct response would be to fire him and get another employee who also does his 8 hour work in 4 hours to take up those extra 8 hours too. Then, the boss traditionally should cut himself a bonus and light a cigar.
How would they know who does what?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I know. But there are expectations.
Yep, that was explained earlier - getting tasks done in a timely manner, being available for coworkers or meetings during core hours, and autonomy to figure out how to make that work best with the employee's other commitments. All pretty "normal" stuff for normal white collar work.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yep, that was explained earlier - getting tasks done in a timely manner, being available for coworkers or meetings during core hours, and autonomy to figure out how to make that work best with the employee's other commitments. All pretty "normal" stuff for normal white collar work.
When I worked a “9-5” job, I was very efficient with my work in most cases. I had a knack for completing assigned tasks in a timely manner. I don’t think I’m unique in this by any stretch of the imagination. But I was better than most (not all) co-workers. So if I finished a task that took less time than a co-worker, do you suppose my boss would just let me lounge for the rest of the day? Or would I get something else assigned?

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When I worked a “9-5” job, I was very efficient with my work in most cases. I had a knack for completing assigned tasks in a timely manner. I don’t think I’m unique in this by any stretch of the imagination. But I was better than most (not all) co-workers. So if I finished a task that took less time than a co-worker, do you suppose my boss would just let me lounge for the rest of the day? Or would I get something else assigned?
People who work in call centers, and there are a lot of them, don't have actual tasks to complete. They simply cover a shift which can be done from home, and all their numbers can be tracked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What was your job? “9-5” and “white collar” aren’t synonymous.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
People who work in call centers, and there are a lot of them, don't have actual tasks to complete. They simply cover a shift which can be done from home, and all their numbers can be tracked.
Yes.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What was your job? “9-5” and “white collar” aren’t synonymous.
I was addressing the assigned tasks aspect. It really doesn’t matter what the job is.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was addressing the assigned tasks aspect. It really doesn’t matter what the job is.
It does matter, because the way you’re arguing suggests that you don’t understand the dynamics of the work we’re describing.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It does matter, because the way you’re arguing suggests that you don’t understand the dynamics of the work we’re describing.
Why type of tasks are you describing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know, why don't you invite that boss here to explain their particular management style and how it is relevant to politicans dictating how the entire federal government workforce should be managed.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think the correct response would be to fire him and get another employee who also does his 8 hour work in 4 hours to take up those extra 8 hours too. Then, the boss traditionally should cut himself a bonus and light a cigar.
Then again, if the salaried employee were to work a few extra hours, beyond the 40-50 they're already putting in, they could raise productivity and profits. That way, the owner/boss can buy that second boat he's been eyeing.

Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't know, why don't you invite that boss here to explain their particular management style and how it is relevant to politicans dictating how the entire federal government workforce should be managed.
I don’t know where he’s at these days. He could be dead. Though, I don’t know how that relates to my post.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don’t know where he’s at these days. He could be dead. Though, I don’t know how that relates to my post.
So if I finished a task that took less time than a co-worker, do you suppose my boss would just let me lounge for the rest of the day?
If you can't even keep up with the random hypothetical questions about the mental state of possibly dead people, what does it say about their relevance to the thread?

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If you can't even keep up with the random hypothetical questions about the mental state of possibly dead people, what does it say about their relevance to the thread?
You have apparently failed to understand my posts.

Upvote 0