Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The House voted 221-206 mostly along party lines on Wednesday to pass legislation requiring federal agencies to revert to their pre-pandemic telework policies, although the measure is likely to meet stiff resistance in the Democratically controlled Senate.

The Stopping Home Office Work’s Unproductive Problems Act (H.R. 139), introduced by Rep. James Comer, R-Ky., would require agencies to “reinstate and apply the telework policies, practices and levels . . . in effect on December 31, 2019” within 30 days of the bill’s enactment. If agencies want to expand telework beyond 2019 levels, they would have to submit to Congress a plan certified by the Office of Personnel Management.
Because why wouldn’t you want to make the lives if a bunch of workers more difficult?

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah. That getting up and going to work thing is barbaric.
Going into an office is a waste of time and money if it’s not necessary, which, in many cases, it’s not. It robs employees of time by forcing them to commute to an office, it drives up real estate prices in urban areas where offices are located, it limits hiring options to only those folks willing and able to live near the office, and it fuels the brain drain in rural areas away from these offices. The push to needlessly go back into offices is little more than a power play by poor managers.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They're just trying to apply some form of normalcy and common sense to an abused situation, but I can see 81 million people and their representatives being against it.
Abused situation? If there is a problem it is most likely a management problem rather than employee problem. Managing remotely is not a skill some managers excel at and I believe it is their inability to adapt that is pressuring the drive to get employees back into the office. Companies or Federal offices that don’t offer at least hybrid schedules are going to lose talent.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Abused situation? If there is a problem it is most likely a management problem rather than employee problem. Managing remotely is not a skill some managers excel at and I believe it is their inability to adapt that is pressuring the drive to get employees back into the office. Companies or Federal offices that don’t offer at least hybrid schedules are going to lose talent.
Yes, I think it is now abused. Of course, there are exceptions even after the pandemic and they're acknowledging that dimension, but who wants to work in an office when they can stay home? What's next, stay-at-home military?

• Friendly
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
ummm, anybody who’s ever rented a co-working space?

well there’s a ridiculous slippery slope if i’ve ever seen one.
How so... it's ok for others, just not me. The party is over.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I think it is now abused. Of course, there are exceptions even after the pandemic and they're acknowledging that dimension, but who wants to work in an office when they can stay home? What's next, stay-at-home military?
Right, who wants to work in an office if work can be done more efficiently and with less distractions at a home office. I have been working remotely for the last eight years I can work so much better home than in a bustling office. No commute saves me so much money and time. If I ever go back into an office I am going to need at least 20% more in salary/benefits to even consider an offer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Get a different job then.
People that don't want to comply with 'company requirements' need to find another job(???), yes. The government doesn't need to provide loopholes for them to get around it.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Going into an office is a waste of time and money if it’s not necessary, which, in many cases, it’s not. It robs employees of time by forcing them to commute to an office, it drives up real estate prices in urban areas where offices are located, it limits hiring options to only those folks willing and able to live near the office, and it fuels the brain drain in rural areas away from these offices. The push to needlessly go back into offices is little more than a power play by poor managers.
It also helps ensure that the employer is actually getting their money’s worth.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People that don't want to comply with 'company requirements' need to find another job(???), yes. The government doesn't need to provide loopholes for them to get around it.
In this case, isn’t the government the employer? Who can then set the requirements?

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In this case, isn’t the government the employer? Who can then set the requirements?
Employers need to set the requirements... isn't that what they're trying to do?

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Employers need to set the requirements... isn't that what they're trying to do?
Yes, and if employees disagree they will leave. It seems the two parties disagree what those requirements should be. One sees the employees needs as priority and the other sees the employer’s as priority. Employers need employees, no?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Managers know they are getting their money's worth by the amount of work that gets completed.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How so... it's ok for others, just not me. The party is over.
Do you really not see the differences between military work and office work?
“Money’s worth” is measured in terms if output, which is measurable whether somebody is at an office or their house.

Upvote 0