home school

C

.chrys.

Home schooled our kids for 8 years. My eldest is now getting her master's in actuarial science. My youngest is pursuing a mechanical engineering degree. Both received scholarships that paid for most of their school.

We know lots of other home schoolers (100+). Some are great at math, some are great at English, some are great at history...but none are great at everything. Some are social butterflies, some are very shy. Some run their own companies (anime shop at a local mall, theater company, computer repair shop), some have yet to hold a job.

We know home schoolers who have gone on to college and married at an early age. We know some who have graduated college never having dated. We know some who have had many sexual partners by the time they were 20, and some who wouldn't even think of holding hands with their boyfriend/girlfriend until they married.

We know some who graduated high school and never cracked open another book. Some who joined the military. Some who started working as soon as they graduated (administrative assistant, photographer, car mechanic).

Home schooling is as wide and varied as is the general population. It can work. It can be wonderful.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Out of curiosity, how did you homeschool your children? Did you follow an online school's curriculum, create your own, or what? And did they choose to homeschool? If they wished to attend school, could they have done so? I know kids who've flourished homeschooling and ones who've floundered with it.

I've been a competitive dancer since I was six and many kids at my dance studio homeschool in order to have more flexibility with their training (we train about 20-25 hours a week). Most go to school online, like CAVA, Stanford OHS, or OSG. I went to an online school partnered with my regular school last semester because I was really sick in January and couldn't attend school. I'm considering going to school online again for this upcoming school year to take advantage of some opportunities that have come my way.

What was their daily structure like? Did you actually stay at home with them every day? How did that work out?

Upvote 0
C

.chrys.

The first year, I used a Christian curriculum with workbooks and enhanced it with other courses of my own creation. We did a lot of field trips and took advantage of free learning opportunities within the community. Both were involved in gymnastics once a week, and of course they had regular Bible study at church. Twice a month they had scouts.

The second year, we did much of the same, but we also added an enrichment program with a type of "co-op" group in our area. They took focused interest courses with other home schooled children near their own age.

The third year we joined the co-op and used the curriculum they were using (also a Christian based curriculum). Instead of Wednesday enrichment courses, they took the core subjects on Tuesdays and Fridays with other children from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. All their other coursework and their core homework they did at home.

We continued this pattern for the remainder of their home schooling days.

And yes, I actually did stay home with them everyday. That was the whole reason we home schooled in the first place. We were tired of leaving their education in the hands of strangers.

Now that both are old enough to be in college and are spending a great deal of time away from home, I am pursuing my other interests.

I wouldn't have traded my time with my children for anything in the world.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I started "school" early with lots of educational games, lots of reading, field trips weekly with the local homeschool group, and plenty of hands-on things like gardening, raising butterflies, ant farms. She had gymnastics lessons.

When we began formal school with kindergarten, I chose piecemeal the best curriculum. I found her style did not always match. We went through three math curricula before I found the one that was ideal for her. Science was my background, so I began developing a science curriculum of my own. Still field trips, gymnastics. Added piano lessons and some co-op classes.

I continued much the same. We used a fair amount of Abeka, but many other individual programs. Sometimes I combined several, like for history. Lots of library books. I integrated lots of subjects for particular assignments. We formed a co-op school where I taught science and continued developing my own curriculum. Others taught history, art. Still field trips and private lessons. She attended dance camp. She went to a formal school setting one day a week for large classroom experience, putting on plays, and all of that. I kept their lessons as an adjunct to my own plans.

As far as daily structure, we usually kept to school hours. Although we covered many subjects, it took far less time. From about 9-12 we finished all of her "classroom" type stuff, and then after lunch until 2 or 3 we did more enrichment type stuff (art projects, etc.) and usually went to the park or played sports for an hour or so afterwards. On the days she had the regular classroom, that was all she did, around 8:30-2:30. On the days we had co-op, we spent around 1-1/2 hours first doing the mandatory things that weren't part of the co-op, like math and whatever else needed a lesson, then co-op was about 4 hours of school, and usually myself and three or four friends spent the rest of the day and evening together and all our kids played.

She got to do a lot, I think.

It let me teach her regular subjects, but also such things as web design and a lot of core work in several foreign languages.

I did stay home with her and teach her myself. As she got older, she needed less of my time. I had a couple of computer-directed courses for her as she got older but the vast majority I taught myself.

I'm not sure if she had asked in the early grades to attend public school if I would have allowed it. She did have one day per week in a standard school environment, and one day (sometimes two) with the better part of the day at the co-op school. I don't think it was necessary to consider anything else.

Due to a nasty divorce, she did go to public school to finish middle school and high school. She coasted for her first couple of years letting the school catch up, but went to a good high school thankfully. Once she reached 7th grade, I would not have forced her to homeschool against her will (or go to public school against her will) without extremely good reason, as it would have seemed likely to lead to rebellion. That was my thought on it, anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for your prompt response, Chrys. :)

We're still deliberating on whether I'll go to school online this year or return to my regular school (which I passionately love and have flourished at since the 8th grade), or a combination of both. I'm hoping to take a few self-directed senior research classes at my school so I'm still tied into the community but won't have to be there on a daily basis, and a few classes with Stanford OHS if they'll admit me this late in the game. I'm such an extrovert I feel happier and more purposeful around other people, but it's challenging with health issues. The main frustration last semester when I went to school online was acclimating to my loose schedule because I was so accustomed to a very structured routine. I still had heaps of things to do - I took 5 AP classes, plus a humanities class, art and dance, but more freedom with when I completed them. That's why I was curious about your structure. Some kids I know who homeschool really have a lot of liberty with their day, and their parents don't care when they get things done so long as it all gets done, and others prefer maintaining set routines.

I'd be home solo most of the time since both of my parents are professionals. It's awesome you loved being at home with your kids and they thrived with that arrangement! I don't think that would work for me. My parents are my favorite people in the entire world - I like them very much in addition to loving and respecting them - but I think we're happier having our own routines in the day. I need independence. They take about 7 weeks off a year, plus they're always around when I need them, so we do still spend ample quality bonding time together. We did have a few debates about freedoms taken during "school days," like me going out with friends when they were on spring break when I still had school. I guess we'd have to sort out reasonable rules if I home school again.

ETA - thanks also to Kylissa for the detailed response! You wrote it a minute before I hit submit. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you do seem to be doing quite well. :)

I'm not sure it has any bearing on the situation, but two other things we did ... I would plan a week's worth of work in each subject, and I let my daughter have the option to finish it within 4 days if she wanted, and take Friday off (except perhaps math if needed, and a final spelling test if she hadn't already passed that week's list). Very often she was off Friday, or a good bit of it.

I let her do a lot of her own scheduling from the time she was 8 or 9 and she did that.

As far as year-long schedules, she never liked taking the whole summer off. The one time we did, she got bored, and then it took 3 weeks or so to refresh before starting back up.

So we often took off 2 or 3 weeks at the beginning of summer, but did school the rest of summer. However, since it WAS summer, if she wanted to take a day off here or there and go to the beach or the park, we did. It was common to take a couple of days off per week. And we'd also finish by 12 or 1 usually.

The payoff for that was that we nearly always took off the month of December (except a math refresher once a week or so), and spent the time doing Christmas stuff - baking, crafts, making gifts, decorating, visiting. It was great.

We could also take off a week or two whenever we wanted during the year for mini-vacations. October is a wonderful time to go to Disneyworld. ;)

I absolutely loved the flexibility, and the chance to spend all the time with her.

But yes, .chrys. is absolutely right. You do sound like you have a great handle on your own education. And do have fun with your friends too. :)

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I come from an area where homeschooling is common, and it can be a good option for young children. Most of the homeschooling families I know circulated through public and private schools, and the parents were very involved in them. It's always disappointing to see parents with a heavy volunteering presence at the school suddenly bow out and homeschool instead. But their children typically return for high school.

Now I've never seen a homeschooled child go all the way through high school and emerge with a normal life. Often they go to college and drop out, because the experience is overwhelming. Also, a parent has no business homeschooling if they are not sufficiently educated themselves. I know a lot of people say they can do it, but I think that's because they have no idea what they're doing. Also, there is no way a truly homeschooled high schooler is getting all the library and lab resources available to them to be well-rounded and ready for any program in college. Of course, if they are utilizing the community college, or other accredited outside resources, that is entirely different. Then again, I don't consider that strictly "homeschooling" any more.

CloudByDay, your research doesn't take into account number of years homeschooled or the grade level of the homeschooler, nor does it account for college graduation rates by degree type. I think that's crucial to the whole picture. I do think most people are familiar with the statistics on homeschooling in general, and how they are favorable in terms of standardized tests. You also have to consider the demographics; homeschool families are highly involved in their child's education. So the academic prospects for the child are high in that regard. I think the question is, can homeschooling through high school prepare a student the same way that an accredited school can? I have yet to see any research supporting that.

Homeschooling, it is illegal in Sweden. Attending school is compulsory for all children.

This post, it makes much sense, to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guru03
Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Out of curiosity, how did you homeschool your children? Did you follow an online school's curriculum, create your own, or what? And did they choose to homeschool? If they wished to attend school, could they have done so? I know kids who've flourished homeschooling and ones who've floundered with it.

I've been a competitive dancer since I was six and many kids at my dance studio homeschool in order to have more flexibility with their training (we train about 20-25 hours a week). Most go to school online, like CAVA, Stanford OHS, or OSG. I went to an online school partnered with my regular school last semester because I was really sick in January and couldn't attend school. I'm considering going to school online again for this upcoming school year to take advantage of some opportunities that have come my way.

What was their daily structure like? Did you actually stay at home with them every day? How did that work out?

How does online school function? Do you interact with other students, and your teachers? I assume, they grade, your assignments? Your courses, you shared, in the science education thread, they seem, very, very advanced. It does not seem to be the same, as home schooling, with parents teaching. Are your parents, involved, with teaching you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
How does online school function? Do you interact with other students, and your teachers? I assume, they grade, your assignments? Your courses, you shared, in the science education thread, they seem, very, very advanced. It does not seem to be the same, as home schooling, with parents teaching. Are your parents, involved, with teaching you?

Home schooling refers to anything that isn’t a conventional school, public or private. Few parents are qualified to teach all subjects themselves. In home schooling they are responsible for what is done, and are involved, but often they don't actually teach it.

Part or all of the teaching is often done in small groups, or online. Two kids in our church are home schooled because they’re bored with public school. They use an online school that is more challenging than the public schools. The girl will be doing high school in one of the elite boarding schools. It seems to be common to switch between public school, private school and home schooling. It's also possible for someone being home schooled to do extra-curricular activities with the local public school. Someone who is home schooled but is active in church youth groups and with extra-curricular activities will not necessarily be lacking social experience. Particularly if their home school involves group projects, which they often do.

I don't have any direct experience with online education at the high school level, but I'm head of a group that supports partially and fully online instruction at a college level. Online instruction often involves more interaction among students and between students and the instructor than face to face instruction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Home schooling refers to anything that isn’t a conventional school, public or private. Few parents are qualified to teach all subjects themselves. In home schooling they are responsible for what is done, and are involved, but often they don't actually teach it.

Part or all of the teaching is often done in small groups, or online. Two kids in our church are home schooled because they’re bored with public school. They use an online school that is more challenging than the public schools.

Exactly. We formed a co-op between a number of parents to take advantage of our particular strengths, I paid for lessons by others, I used a computer course for part of middle-school science, and already had planned to "outsource" math instruction beyond Algebra and Geometry (and I've taught high school maths as a paid teacher).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

"Homeschooling" is a bit of a misnomer because of the significant variance in what it might entail. The majority of people I know who are "homeschooling" are actually fully enrolled in virtual schools that operate similarly to brick and mortar ones, with certified teachers providing all instruction and grading assignments and tests, and students simply taking the majority of their classes online from home or another location. There are public, tuition-free virtual schools such as CAVA (California Virtual Academy) that typically have curriculum and graduation requirements more aligned with those of public schools within their state, and private virtual schools such as the ones operated by Stanford and George Washington University for high schoolers who are seeking courses at a more advanced, collegiate level.

I probably shouldn't have revealed that I'm attending Stanford OHS but since I already did many months ago and nobody has kidnapped or stalked me out, I feel reasonably comfortable providing more information specifically for it. The majority of my classes are discussion seminars that meet twice a week (Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday) in real-time for 75 minute sessions. Since there are students from around the world, the school day is a bit unorthodox to accommodate those in various time zones. All of the classes are interactive with each student engaged and participating. We have special software on our computers that allow us to virtually raise our hands, draw on the board, and submit dialogue via text or vocally. We have webcams so that we can hear and see one another. I can wear pajamas and drink coffee throughout the class if I'd like but I can't just log on and then space out and not contribute. The teachers have actually be more prone to noticing inattentive or distracted students than in traditional class settings because they can see our faces up close and clearly, and lapses in involvement are more noticeable by all. Each person is expected to intelligently participate in the class discussions, providing our own insights and commentary. I've always attended private schools with smaller teacher to student ratios that created more dynamic class discussions, but some kids who've been to public schools have said that they are are far participatory in our online classes.

If you're curious to see the format of the classes you can watch one of the videos here: https://ohs.stanford.edu/virtual_classroom.html

Much of our work is done outside of the class settings, with extensive reading assignments and papers. We also collaborate on group projects using apps like VoiceThread to work together. There are class discussion boards that we are expected to provide responses to throughout the week outside of the class times.
We don't have classes on Fridays but most of us stay very active on that day. I am still taking some art and independent research classes with my local private school, I spend Fridays on campus to work in the studio, attend assembly, and stay tied in with the community I love.

Many students who go to Stanford OHS and other similar schools are very accomplished in extracurricular activities and the online classes online for more flexibility. One of my friends has already performed at Carnegie Hall and another is an actress. I switched to online school primarily so that I could have time to devote to dance training. Many of the dance classes I take meet during the school day and would conflict with normal school hours. I'm also able to travel more, and when I'm sick it's not as overwhelming because I don't miss out on as much that I then have to make up for when I'm well. Though attendance is mandatory at the classes, you can obtain excused absences when you're sick or there's another legitimate reason. The class sessions are recorded so you can simply view them at your convenience.

My parents are really not any more involved in my schooling than they were when I physically attended school. This isn't to say that they are inactive or indifferent,
because they are very passionate and devoted to my education. The school provides them with tools like an app that allows them to view my assignments and grades, and easily and directly contact teachers if they desire. They've been aware of virtually every quiz I've had and homework I've been assigned since I was in preschool, haha. Whereas in traditional homeschool environments many parents assume the responsibilities a teacher would in a school classroom, in a virtual school teachers and administrators are still fulfilling those roles. My parents are very educated and successful, but they don't have the same level of education and experience specific to all the subjects I'm taking. So they entrust my teachers - most of whom have Masters or PhDs from excellent universities in the subjects they are teaching - to provide the bulk of my classroom education for me. My parents have not designed my curriculum; selected textbooks, reading and other materials for my classes; provided any classroom instruction; or given or graded any assignments, quizzes, or exams. All work is submitted to the teachers directly and graded by them. Exams must be proctored by someone other than a parent or other family member. Some make arrangements to take the exams in front of their webcams. I just take my exams at my other school. The two schools coordinate everything with one another, and I just go in, take the exam in an empty classroom with a teacher either staying there with me doing things on her laptop or popping in periodically, and then the exam is taken by the teacher and submitted to the school.

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Part or all of the teaching is often done in small groups, or online. Two kids in our church are home schooled because they’re bored with public school. They use an online school that is more challenging than the public schools. The girl will be doing high school in one of the elite boarding schools. It seems to be common to switch between public school, private school and home schooling. It's also possible for someone being home schooled to do extra-curricular activities with the local public school. Someone who is home schooled but is active in church youth groups and with extra-curricular activities will not necessarily be lacking social experience. Particularly if their home school involves group projects, which they often do.

I don't have any direct experience with online education at the high school level, but I'm head of a group that supports partially and fully online instruction at a college level. Online instruction often involves more interaction among students and between students and the instructor than face to face instruction.

Thank-you. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Homeschooling" is a bit of a misnomer because of the significant variance in what it might entail. The majority of people I know who are "homeschooling" are actually fully enrolled in virtual schools that operate similarly to brick and mortar ones, with certified teachers providing all instruction and grading assignments and tests, and students simply taking the majority of their classes online from home or another location. There are public, tuition-free virtual schools such as CAVA (California Virtual Academy) that typically have curriculum and graduation requirements more aligned with those of public schools within their state, and private virtual schools such as the ones operated by Stanford and George Washington University for high schoolers who are seeking courses at a more advanced, collegiate level.

I probably shouldn't have revealed that I'm attending Stanford OHS but since I already did many months ago and nobody has kidnapped or stalked me out, I feel reasonably comfortable providing more information specifically for it. The majority of my classes are discussion seminars that meet twice a week (Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday) in real-time for 75 minute sessions. Since there are students from around the world, the school day is a bit unorthodox to accommodate those in various time zones. All of the classes are interactive with each student engaged and participating. We have special software on our computers that allow us to virtually raise our hands, draw on the board, and submit dialogue via text or vocally. We have webcams so that we can hear and see one another. I can wear pajamas and drink coffee throughout the class if I'd like but I can't just log on and then space out and not contribute. The teachers have actually be more prone to noticing inattentive or distracted students than in traditional class settings because they can see our faces up close and clearly, and lapses in involvement are more noticeable by all. Each person is expected to intelligently participate in the class discussions, providing our own insights and commentary. I've always attended private schools with smaller teacher to student ratios that created more dynamic class discussions, but some kids who've been to public schools have said that they are are far participatory in our online classes.

If you're curious to see the format of the classes you can watch one of the videos here: https://ohs.stanford.edu/virtual_classroom.html

Much of our work is done outside of the class settings, with extensive reading assignments and papers. We also collaborate on group projects using apps like VoiceThread to work together. There are class discussion boards that we are expected to provide responses to throughout the week outside of the class times.
We don't have classes on Fridays but most of us stay very active on that day. I am still taking some art and independent research classes with my local private school, I spend Fridays on campus to work in the studio, attend assembly, and stay tied in with the community I love.

Many students who go to Stanford OHS and other similar schools are very accomplished in extracurricular activities and the online classes online for more flexibility. One of my friends has already performed at Carnegie Hall and another is an actress. I switched to online school primarily so that I could have time to devote to dance training. Many of the dance classes I take meet during the school day and would conflict with normal school hours. I'm also able to travel more, and when I'm sick it's not as overwhelming because I don't miss out on as much that I then have to make up for when I'm well. Though attendance is mandatory at the classes, you can obtain excused absences when you're sick or there's another legitimate reason. The class sessions are recorded so you can simply view them at your convenience.

My parents are really not any more involved in my schooling than they were when I physically attended school. This isn't to say that they are inactive or indifferent,
because they are very passionate and devoted to my education. The school provides them with tools like an app that allows them to view my assignments and grades, and easily and directly contact teachers if they desire. They've been aware of virtually every quiz I've had and homework I've been assigned since I was in preschool, haha. Whereas in traditional homeschool environments many parents assume the responsibilities a teacher would in a school classroom, in a virtual school teachers and administrators are still fulfilling those roles. My parents are very educated and successful, but they don't have the same level of education and experience specific to all the subjects I'm taking. So they entrust my teachers - most of whom have Masters or PhDs from excellent universities in the subjects they are teaching - to provide the bulk of my classroom education for me. My parents have not designed my curriculum; selected textbooks, reading and other materials for my classes; provided any classroom instruction; or given or graded any assignments, quizzes, or exams. All work is submitted to the teachers directly and graded by them. Exams must be proctored by someone other than a parent or other family member. Some make arrangements to take the exams in front of their webcams. I just take my exams at my other school. The two schools coordinate everything with one another, and I just go in, take the exam in an empty classroom with a teacher either staying there with me doing things on her laptop or popping in periodically, and then the exam is taken by the teacher and submitted to the school.

Thank-you, this is is great. I will check the link. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have middle or high schoolers in homeschool? If so, how are they doing academically and socially? I have a middle schooler since Feb and her grades have improved.
thanks

Academically, they're doing great.

We just moved back to Alabama (hence my screen name), so the kids are going through a little social upheaval. So far, so good, though. The good news is that, because this is where my family is from, they have a social network already in place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CloudByDay

Bible Believer
Jul 13, 2013
✟15,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never argued that home schooled kids get better grades.
Even when I was in public school the parents who re read and sometimes rewrite my essays and use words i never would use in elementary or middle school.

So Im sure home-schooled parents do the same but on a harder level.

As a homeschool mom, I use percentage correct/grades to measure my children's proficiency. I care if they know the material, and if they don't know the material, how would my doing the homework for them get them to learn it? If all a homeschool parent cared about was grades, they would just give them an A and then call it good.

I make my children re-do their work when they have missed something. They cannot build on something that they don't know.

If homeschool parents were doing their children's work for them, then the parents must also be taking their children's standardized tests, ACT and SAT tests too. The evidence that homeschool children are really learning, and that their parents are not cheating is the consistent high scores they are getting on their standardized tests.

Upvote 0

Naboo

Apr 30, 2015
✟15,243.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What one of the previous posters said is correct, most homeschooling cases are controlled and children or parents are enrolled in a homeschooling program or follow a set-curriculum.

As a teacher, it is the whole 'unschooling' fad at the moment that has me a little worried about education. These parents let their children do what they want, when they want, without a balanced consideration of all curriculum areas. I hated Maths in school, and if I were in an unschooling home, I would not do any Maths at all because of my dislike for it. But I'm glad I HAD to do it because as an adult I appreciate the mathematical skills I learnt and use on a daily basis.

I would love to homeschool our children when hubby and I have kids, but we both have to work to keep up with our finances so it's just not an option. Plus, I'm pretty lucky that Australia's public schooling system here is not so bad and I would also be happy to see my kids mixing with a large variety and diversity of other children and families - I think this is definitely a part of life learning, too :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What one of the previous posters said is correct, most homeschooling cases are controlled and children or parents are enrolled in a homeschooling program or follow a set-curriculum.

As a teacher, it is the whole 'unschooling' fad at the moment that has me a little worried about education. These parents let their children do what they want, when they want, without a balanced consideration of all curriculum areas. I hated Maths in school, and if I were in an unschooling home, I would not do any Maths at all because of my dislike for it. But I'm glad I HAD to do it because as an adult I appreciate the mathematical skills I learnt and use on a daily basis.

I would love to homeschool our children when hubby and I have kids, but we both have to work to keep up with our finances so it's just not an option. Plus, I'm pretty lucky that Australia's public schooling system here is not so bad and I would also be happy to see my kids mixing with a large variety and diversity of other children and families - I think this is definitely a part of life learning, too :)

I have to agree with you.

I'm seeing pretty much all sides of the issue now. I homeschooled my daughter, but I'm also a teacher and have worked in a variety of teaching environments.

As a homeschooling family, we networked with others and I saw what they were doing. Most did follow a set curriculum - whether a full package or something pieced together.

But I did know unschooling families - very few. The parents were adamant that they taught everything - including math. As a teacher, I see how fractions, for example, can be incorporated into cooking. And very basic algebra and geometry have applications. But such things as graphing equations and so much more are not going to come up in the context of normal explorations. With very careful attention by parents, they might develop a basic proficiency in math, but it won't go beyond a certain level. And the unschooling mindset is not one that is particularly inclined to identify every topic and ensure that nothing is lacking.

I think it can be acceptable, for the right parents and the right students, in the early grades. But I can't imagine relying upon it exclusively - if that were my goal, I would still be sure to identify and correct what was lacking. More advanced History, for example, could continue to be pursued in this way by a motivated student, but Maths are unlikely to be learned sufficiently past a certain level. [eta: to clarify - this paragraph as well as the previous one refer to an UNSCHOOLING approach; it is NOT a comment on homeschooling.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Naboo
Upvote 0
C

.chrys.

More advanced History, for example, could continue to be pursued in this way by a motivated student, but Maths are unlikely to be learned sufficiently past a certain level.

Just want to add...advanced math can be pursued in the same ways by motivated students--if there is an interest in math. Though my brother and I were not homeschooled, we had a high interest in math. My brother taught himself Calculus from a textbook the summer between his 8th and 9th grades. I waited a little longer. Because neither of us had any interest in studying history more than we had to, we only did what the school required of us--and then no more.

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there...a motivated student can learn anything if he/she wants in a homeschooling environment--regardless of the subject.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just want to add...advanced math can be pursued in the same ways by motivated students--if there is an interest in math. Though my brother and I were not homeschooled, we had a high interest in math. My brother taught himself Calculus from a textbook the summer between his 8th and 9th grades. I waited a little longer. Because neither of us had any interest in studying history more than we had to, we only did what the school required of us--and then no more.

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there...a motivated student can learn anything if he/she wants in a homeschooling environment--regardless of the subject.

Of our seven homeschooled children, one is a veterinarian, one is an engineer, and one is a contractor. All are math-heavy careers.

Homeschooling didn't seem to hurt them any.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0