Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If Christ overcame the world so should His Church.
The Church does overcome, though not in the way that we, when looking through the eyes of the world, often expect. We overcome the world most especially when the world is persecuting and killing us. Our faith is in the Kingdom which is coming. Nothing will ever be perfect in this fallen world, and the tares are allowed to grow alongside of the wheat in the field of God's Church, as explained by Christ.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But won't people look at you weird?

as someone who is OCA, who has been to many various jurisdictions, I can say no. I have never felt unwelcome in an Orthodox parish or monastery.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think is is admirable to love your brothers and sisters in Christ, and feel so attached to them, that like dearly departed loved ones you kiss their pictures/representations. Is this sort of love and closeness shared with living saints within the congregation? And, how do you on daily basis intercede for one another in your congregations and everyone's individual needs in prayer?

Seems more like idolatry. At some point we have to trust God and let them good...

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
simply saying it is a tradition of men does not make it one, especially when all historic evidence points to the contrary.

The same logic could be used against you...anyhow, I wish you well.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Question; What do prayers on behalf of those that we do not know are saints do (i.e. departed loved ones)? And, what traditional and Biblical basis do you have for it?

Thanks!
Our prayers for those we love who have died?

We don't dogmatically state what they accomplish. There is no "x-number of prayers = x-time out of purgatory" or any such thing, of course.

We love them, so we pray for them. God is a loving God. We trust His mercy and leave it in His hands without expectation.

There are several possible answers, of what God MAY do. But He may do something else. It's not our place to dictate, certainly. We do generally pray for their sins to be forgiven and for them to be given rest.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, people do it hopeful it might do something good, but because the Bible and tradition is not specific as to what no one makes any other claim? I find it to be an interesting devotion, to do something not knowing specifically what it is accomplishing simply because it is an act of love towards someone.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, people do it hopeful it might do something good, but because the Bible and tradition is not specific as to what no one makes any other claim? I find it to be an interesting devotion, to do something not knowing specifically what it is accomplishing simply because it is an act of love towards someone.
There are some small-t traditions that might suggest a possible answer, but beyond that, and the fact that we do it (that IS Tradition) I'm not sure what to say.

Others would probably know more.

But certainly having and expressing love for one another pleases God. And there is always the point that He knows all prayers from outside the constraints of time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What do prayers on behalf of those that we do not know are saints do (i.e. departed loved ones)?

whatever God wills our prayers to do, this is why our prayer for them is for His mercy.

And, what traditional and Biblical basis do you have for it?

2 Timothy 1:16-18. Onesiphorus at the time Paul wrote the epistle had died, and he is doing what we do, asking for God to have mercy on him on Judgment Day.

plus there is 2 Maccabees 12:38-46 where Judas Maccabeus prays for the dead soldiers.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Question; What do prayers on behalf of those that we do not know are saints do (i.e. departed loved ones)? And, what traditional and Biblical basis do you have for it?

Thanks!

Aba, stop kicking the tires and just join already! lol

Reactions: abacabb3
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,824.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You have a funny way of showing it :doh:^_^

I honestly could care less about 'winning' an argument. I don't want to hurt anyone, or their feelings (which is big with babyboomers and millennials).

We just disagree. If you were sitting across from me I'd invite you to dinner!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Aba, stop kicking the tires and just join already! lol
Lol, we ENCOURAGE tire-kicking. Please, ask all your questions and get serious doubts out of the way before being received into the Orthodox Church. It should not be a hasty or ill-considered step.

Some of these things are not easy to work though.

Questioning is good for one's faith, ultimately. When the answers finally come and one is fully satisfied, and deeply rooted in Truth they are confident of, they are not easily shaken.

Glory to God!

Upvote 0