Northeast
✟181,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Twitter said it fixed ‘verification.’ So I impersonated a senator (again).

Elon Musk said Twitter would begin authenticating users who pay $8 for Blue. Our tech columnist was still able to get a checkmark for an impostor Sen. Ed Markey.​

On Tuesday, @SenatorEdMarkey briefly went viral on Twitter. Gisele Barreto Fetterman, the wife of Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.), thanked@SenatorEdMarkey in a tweet that garnered 140,000 views.

The problem is, @SenatorEdMarkey is actually me, not the real Sen. Edward J. Markey. It’s a test of Twitter’s $7.99 per month Blue “verification” service I made with the permission of the real Democrat from Massachusetts. I wouldn’t blame anyone for being confused: My test account has the senator’s name and photo and a blue check mark that says it is “verified.”

---

In other news, I understand Twitter will be accepting cause-based and political ads. Previous management had stopped that in 2019.
I appreciate the articles that you post!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,744.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Laid-off Twitter workers feared meager severance deals. Elon Musk just set the bar even lower

The agreements offered one month of severance pay, but with a major catch — employees must sign away their right to ever sue the company, assist anyone in a legal case against the company unless required by law, or speak negatively about Twitter, its management or Elon Musk.

More striking is what the document omitted, said one former engineering manager who was laid off Nov. 4. The separation agreement does not include year-end bonuses, cash contribution for healthcare continuation, additional severance based on tenure, or the cash value of restricted stock units that are typically vested every quarter. These were all part of Twitter’s general severance package prior to Musk’s acquisition of the company in October, according to a previous companywide email.

(here come the lawsuits)

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is when it is company policy to do so.
Except it wasn't. The company was sold to new ownership, and as anyone who has ever worked in a company that has been sold is fully aware, any and all policies can be changed, modified or revoked when new ownership comes in. Unless there was some condition of the sale that Musk had to maintain existing policies for a set period of time, there is no legal requirement to abide by the last ownership's company policies.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Except it wasn't. The company was sold to new ownership, and as anyone who has ever worked in a company that has been sold is fully aware, any and all policies can be changed, modified or revoked when new ownership comes in. Unless there was some condition of the sale that Musk had to maintain existing policies for a set period of time, there is no legal requirement to abide by the last ownership's company policies.
New ownership may modify policy, but it can't unilaterally modify employment contracts.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
New ownership may modify policy, but it can't unilaterally modify employment contracts.

I suppose this is a discussion for lawyers and courts, but new ownership most certainly can change their severance policy to whatever they like.

Also, do we know how many people at Twitter were working under contract? I suspect it's not that many. Probably mostly at-will employment.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I suppose this is a discussion for lawyers and courts, but new ownership most certainly can change their severance policy to whatever they like.
They can. However, if severance is laid out in your existing contract, that doesn't change unless you agree to the modification.

Also, do we know how many people at Twitter were working under contract? I suspect it's not that many. Probably mostly at-will employment.
At-will employment just means that you can be fired for any reason without notice. It doesn't mean that you have no contract with your employer. Everyone (should) have some form of employment contract that lays out their duties, salary, raise schedule, leave/PTO, benefits, and severance (if any). It's possible to include grounds on which your severance could be denied in a contract, but without that or failing those conditions, severance must still be paid out if it's in the contract.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They can. However, if severance is laid out in your existing contract, that doesn't change unless you agree to the modification.

At-will employment just means that you can be fired for any reason without notice. It doesn't mean that you have no contract with your employer. Everyone (should) have some form of employment contract that lays out their duties, salary, raise schedule, leave/PTO, benefits, and severance (if any). It's possible to include grounds on which your severance could be denied in a contract, but without that or failing those conditions, severance must still be paid out if it's in the contract.

I have an employee handbook. It is not a "contract". It is an explanation of the company policies and benefits that my employer provides to me in exchange for the work I do for them. Having been at my current employer for 20 years and having changed ownership three times, I can tell you that those policies and benefits changed with each ownership change without any input or agreement from the employees.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I have an employee handbook. It is not a "contract". It is an explanation of the company policies and benefits that my employer provides to me in exchange for the work I do for them. Having been at my current employer for 20 years and having changed ownership three times, I can tell you that those policies and benefits changed with each ownership change without any input or agreement from the employees.
I just looked and in my province, severance IS paid out by new management (this information would be included when the new company purchased it to account for costs.

But I KNOW that America is 100% about protecting the interests of the rich and actively hurting the working and middle class so I can't say that my province is going to be representative of anything down south....

EDIT:
And then I found this site:
elaws - WARN Advisor

So yes. When your company is sold, it's "technically a termination of employment". So....yup sorry. You lose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's your situation. Without seeing the agreements that Twitter's employees signed (specifically those employees who are suing), it's impossible to say what Twitter's obligations might be. If they had contracts, then changing the severance would violate the contract. And if they only had an employee handbook that laid out a severance policy, that might still constitute a contract, depending on the language used.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So....yup sorry. You lose.
^_^

I don't "lose" anything, because I have no horse in this race. The courts will decide if Elon Musk must abide by the severance agreements that were in place prior to his acquisition of the company.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's your situation. Without seeing the agreements that Twitter's employees signed (specifically those employees who are suing), it's impossible to say what Twitter's obligations might be. If they had contracts, then changing the severance would violate the contract. And if they only had an employee handbook that laid out a severance policy, that might still constitute a contract, depending on the language used.

Right. And I'm sure a court will determine that, regardless of what you or I (or anyone else) thinks about it.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Right. And I'm sure a court will determine that, regardless of what you or I (or anyone else) thinks about it.
Indeed. I only sought to correct your assertion that there was no legal basis for their claim.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
^_^

I don't "lose" anything, because I have no horse in this race. The courts will decide if Elon Musk must abide by the severance agreements that were in place prior to his acquisition of the company.
Sorry....not you. I was referring to "workers" in general.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. I only sought to correct your assertion that there was no legal basis for their claim.

That was not my assertion. My original statement was, "Wonders if people realize that severance pay is not legally required..." Still a true statement, regardless of the outcome of this particular situation.

Whether or not there is a legal basis for their claim in this instance is for a court to decide.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So far come Elon and twitter, it's like the overturning of Roe v Wade where the dog caught the car.
They didn't overturn Roe v Wade...

They just past down the responsibility to the individual state lawmakers to decide at state level.

If you really want an abortion... you can still get one...

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That may be in the US..

I don't know if Elon could have found "cause"..... legally.

But, if they don't take him to court.. and sign their termination... they're done.

However, not so in Canada.

In Canada, my company was bought outright... At that time I had been there 15 years...
If they wanted to get rid of me, they would have to pay severance... Unless they could find "cause".

Otherwise.. when you buy a company.. you must state that you are not going to need any of the employees and the previous owner would have to pay severance.

Also, if I am "head hunted" by a company and they request for me to come and work for them... I can put a clause in the new contract that if they let me go... they must honor my previous years of service...as part of my severance.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe California law has some additional laws about severance, but we shall see what the court decides. I do feel relatively certain that the court will rule employees do not have to sign the document to not criticize Twitter.

Upvote 0