undisclosed Bunker
✟289,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's definitely the story your party is selling you.

My party didn't sell me anything, my brain told me that!
Along with some guy trying to sell pillows... though I 'm pretty sure that wasn't his intention.
He's an incredible sales person in the opposite direction

(btw when Bush Jr. was up against Gore I was furious that the dirty dems were going to try and steal another term... but I was also about 20 years younger, less the wiser and drinking heavily)

Registered Repub at the moment
'Tis the sick who need a doctor' ;)

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yup.

Everyone wants to taste forbidden fruit. I'm not sure what you're saying here though....You're upset the word is being used more often than it already was?

Could you rewrite this so it makes sense?

Hard to stay relevant when you can't do the job.

Not sure I'd take her word for it....but to quote some smug people who've been around for the past 6 years....

She can always just make her own social media network.

That's the internet.

Mhmmm.

You already said this.

Pass.

See response to #4.

I'm pretty sure both those things were already happening on Twitter....the only difference now is who gets punished for it.

They sound bitter.

I wonder if they understand parody has to clearly be parody or there's a real risk of libel and slander charges if damages are incurred.

Ask Alex Jones.

I can't recall anyone claiming you should be allowed to yell fire in a crowded theatre.

What hate speech?

You mentioned an increase in certain racial slurs. I'm told in some contexts, certain slurs are acceptable.

The only destruction you've found is the spiteful attack of radical leftists who would rather burn their propaganda tool to the ground than lose it.

Either way, it's gone....I'm glad they don't have it.

All they will succeed by destroying Twitter is convincing investors to avoid these platforms in the future. It's a win-win.

If you haven't pushed back at the enforcement of personal pronoun usage with the threat of job loss...you're not really in a lesson teaching position.

I know what kind of user data it collected so I doubt Elon will be unable to profit.

If left wing radicals want to burn down the site that gave them the biggest audience they had because they now have to share it with people who have different opinions?

Awesome.

Because these are alt right meme warfare troll tactics....and since all those guys were exiled to other social media sites, I doubt they'll fall to the same methods.

They're only hurting themselves but that's very much the thing they're known for.
Yup.

Everyone wants to taste forbidden fruit. I'm not sure what you're saying here though....You're upset the word is being used more often than it already was?

Could you rewrite this so it makes sense?

Hard to stay relevant when you can't do the job.

Not sure I'd take her word for it....but to quote some smug people who've been around for the past 6 years....

She can always just make her own social media network.

That's the internet.

Mhmmm.

You already said this.

Pass.

See response to #4.

I'm pretty sure both those things were already happening on Twitter....the only difference now is who gets punished for it.

They sound bitter.

I wonder if they understand parody has to clearly be parody or there's a real risk of libel and slander charges if damages are incurred.

Ask Alex Jones.

I can't recall anyone claiming you should be allowed to yell fire in a crowded theatre.

What hate speech?

You mentioned an increase in certain racial slurs. I'm told in some contexts, certain slurs are acceptable.

The only destruction you've found is the spiteful attack of radical leftists who would rather burn their propaganda tool to the ground than lose it.

Either way, it's gone....I'm glad they don't have it.

All they will succeed by destroying Twitter is convincing investors to avoid these platforms in the future. It's a win-win.

If you haven't pushed back at the enforcement of personal pronoun usage with the threat of job loss...you're not really in a lesson teaching position.

I know what kind of user data it collected so I doubt Elon will be unable to profit.

If left wing radicals want to burn down the site that gave them the biggest audience they had because they now have to share it with people who have different opinions?

Awesome.

Because these are alt right meme warfare troll tactics....and since all those guys were exiled to other social media sites, I doubt they'll fall to the same methods.

They're only hurting themselves but that's very much the thing they're known
Yes. The radical left narrative that gay people are NOt grooming children and trans people could, you know, just exist without abuse, is destructive to America but 6+years of baseless election denial has done nothing but strengthen america.

That much is clear.

• Useful
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,534.00
Faith
Christian
So
1) Musk buys Twitter. Some people are concerned, some are happy there's a place for free speech!
2) Use of the "n word" shoots up 500%
Use of N-word, racial slurs up more than 500% on Twitter post-Musk, says new report

Which means it was already in use before Musk bought the company. A few years ago I found about "Black Twitter". I did some research and found out this is a commonly used word on "Black Twitter". Mostly likely this increase is from non black people curious to test out if they can say the word without getting banned, not realizing the word was already being used regularly. It will probably go down after a while.

3) People worried about free speech are right. Others "feel bad" but are happy there's a place for free speech. People worried about hate speech start recognizing this new reality and start to embrace their version of free speech.
4) AOC insults Musk.

Oh, so AOC is fine with mean tweets. Okay.

5) Always the lover of free speech, Musk/Twitter, shuts her out of her Dms
AOC says her Twitter account stopped working properly after she criticized Elon Musk

This happened to her back in 2020 too. Long before Elon Musk bought the company. No proof that it was Elon this time.

Alexandria-Ocasio-Cortez Says Her Twitter DMs Haven't Worked for 3 Months

6) Parody accounts of Elon and others pop up with damaging insults.
The Parody Gold Created by Elon Musk’s Twitter Blue
7) Elon invents the blue check verification system.
8) Parody accounts begin to pop up.
Take a moment and appreciate the Eli Lilly one.
Eli Lilly loses billions in market cap after ‘verified’ Twitter impostor promises free insulin
7) Twitter bans Kathy Griffin for imitating Elon.
Twitter bans comedian Kathy Griffin for impersonating Elon Musk
I remember Elon tweeting:
FgwQtHjWIAAkuVG

IT's legal...but apparently it will get you banned to.

Yes, COMEDY. Nothing Kathy Griffin says or does is funny.

64277785-11398897-image-a-17_1667836558594.jpg

Lol.

So it turns out free speech, at LEAST for Elon, REALLY just means that you should be able to use racist and discriminatory language (about other people)

Like I said at the beginning, this language was already in use before Musk got there. No evidence that he's okay with it. He just bought the company and is still working on it. He might be able to change it in the future.

but you cannot imitate people.

You can, you just have to specify that it's a parody, as he clearly stated.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Musk issues ultimatum to staff: Commit to ‘hardcore’ Twitter or take severance

Employees were told they had to a sign a pledge to stay on with the company. “If you are sure that you want to be part of the new Twitter, please click yes on the link below,” read the email to all staff, which linked to an online form.

Anyone who did not sign the pledge by 5 p.m. Eastern time Thursday would receive three months of severance pay, the message said.
In the midnight email, which was obtained by The Washington Post, Musk said Twitter “will need to be extremely hardcore” going forward. “This will mean working long hours at high intensity,” he said. “Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

The pledge email, paired with a new policy mandating a return to the office, is expected to lead to even more attrition at a company whose staff Musk had already reduced by half.

1668611458664.png

Reactions: Leaf473

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, well people no longer talking about if Twitter will bring Trump back in Twitter. Now they are talking if Twitter can keep its light’s on.
I wonder if they have worked out their door situation after killing everyone's badges.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The pledge email, paired with a new policy mandating a return to the office, is expected to lead to even more attrition at a company whose staff Musk had already reduced by half.
To no one's surprise (except possibly Elon Musk's), this appears to have come to pass. Hundreds of employees have apparently quit, and Twitter has closed their offices and suspended badge access until Monday.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the owners/managers of Truth Social were clever, they would hire the top-rated talent fleeing Twitter.

Anyone else get the impression that Musk is a bit of a jerk?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If the owners/managers of Truth Social were clever, they would hire the top-rated talent fleeing Twitter.
I doubt they could afford them.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyone else get the impression that Musk is a bit of a jerk?
I've known that he's a jerk for a long time - this is hardly his first venture into jerky behavior.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Twitter apparently has lost more than a bit of ad revenue. It has to go somewhere....
Ads are being pulled so as to not be associated with the disarray, I don't see them going to a platform where that has been the status quo from the start.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟217,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

From what I heard, they are down to around 1000 employees now. A good possibility that a restart of services on a set number of instances can bring the site down and few experienced engineers to diagnose and bring the services back online.

I had enough of the 80hr work weeks when I worked in the game industry. Since the mid 2000s no company large or small has asked me to work over 40 hours per week without also providing adequate compensation.

Extremely Hardcore most likely means work 80 hours / week for 40 hours pay and have the possibility of getting fired at any time over their heads.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems like we may have yet another case of something being purchased for a crazy ton of money ($44 billion in this case), and then the new owner(s) immediately getting rid of the things that made what they purchased worth that amount to begin with.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So
1) Musk buys Twitter. Some people are concerned, some are happy there's a place for free speech!
2) Use of the "n word" shoots up 500%
Use of N-word, racial slurs up more than 500% on Twitter post-Musk, says new report
3) People worried about free speech are right. Others "feel bad" but are happy there's a place for free speech. People worried about hate speech start recognizing this new reality and start to embrace their version of free speech.
4) AOC insults Musk.
5) Always the lover of free speech, Musk/Twitter, shuts her out of her Dms
AOC says her Twitter account stopped working properly after she criticized Elon Musk
6) Parody accounts of Elon and others pop up with damaging insults.
The Parody Gold Created by Elon Musk’s Twitter Blue
7) Elon invents the blue check verification system.
8) Parody accounts begin to pop up.
Take a moment and appreciate the Eli Lilly one.
Eli Lilly loses billions in market cap after ‘verified’ Twitter impostor promises free insulin
7) Twitter bans Kathy Griffin for imitating Elon.
Twitter bans comedian Kathy Griffin for impersonating Elon Musk
I remember Elon tweeting

IT's legal...but apparently it will get you banned to.

For a few of these things like number 1...I don't know if he can be directly blamed for that...by the article's own admission:
"According to the NCRI tweet sharing these findings, a small number of “bad actors” were encouraging users to “amplify derogatory slurs” in the hours following Musk’s takeover."

In the hours following his takeover...which means nothing systematically had changed yet with the platform. A small number of 4-chan actors encouraging others to troll the platform or "test the waters" can't be blamed on him and shouldn't be considered a reflection of him nor an extension of him, For all his flaws, I don't think "overt racial bigot" is one of them.

For the rest of the things:
Are we starting to see why the town square for speech being subject to fragile whims of gatekeepers (whether it be one eccentric billionaire, or the hivemind of 1500 over-sensitive 20-somethings) isn't such a good idea?

Left-leaning people insulting someone and getting a ban is what I would call "getting a taste of one's own medicine". I don't recall any outrage from people on the left when Jordan Peterson, Dave Rubin, and the Babylon Bee were getting banned.

I, personally, would like to see some regulation of the town square...just not the type of regulation most of the other liberal-leaning people would like to see. I'd like them to be confined to two simple sets of guardrails:

1) The rules enforced for state actors - since I consider the big social media platforms to be state actors at this point (meaning they can't play political or religious favoritism, and can't discriminate on the basis or race/sex/sexual orientation/etc...)
2) Prohibition of things that would be criminal to say/do in the real world (threats or encouragement of actual violence that would actually hold up in a court of law)

...and that's pretty much it.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From what I heard, they are down to around 1000 employees now. A good possibility that a restart of services on a set number of instances can bring the site down and few experienced engineers to diagnose and bring the services back online.

I had enough of the 80hr work weeks when I worked in the game industry. Since the mid 2000s no company large or small has asked me to work over 40 hours per week without also providing adequate compensation.

Extremely Hardcore most likely means work 80 hours / week for 40 hours pay and have the possibility of getting fired at any time over their heads.
Apple regularly required that kind of work environment (especially under Jobs - another eccentric rich guy), I don't recall him being vilified for it...in fact, most of the people who don't like Elon probably use iPhones.

From a personal perspective as someone who works in the field, those kinds of hours aren't my cup of tea either.

If you have tech people working 60+ hours a week regularly...you need more engineers. If you can't keep a good bottom line with an adequate number of engineers and need to skimp on staff and pay 3 people to do the work of 5 in order to maintain, then the business model isn't good.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Are we starting to see why the town square for speech being subject to fragile whims of gatekeepers (whether it be one eccentric billionaire, or the hivemind of 1500 over-sensitive 20-somethings) isn't such a good idea?
No. It's just like this website.

Free enterprise can do its thing.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes. The radical left narrative that gay people are NOt grooming children
[/QUOTE]

The concern was teachers grooming children.

and trans people could, you know, just exist without abuse,
I'm sure they do.

is destructive to America but 6+years

I take it you're referring to "Never Trumpere'"

of baseless election denial has done nothing but strengthen america.

That much is clear.

Well let's not forget about the goose stepping covid patrols....the vaccine mandates....the protesters denied their rights....business and livelihoods destroyed. Don't forget them....the anarchists seizing control of city blocks to murder and extort businesses.

Sure, the election deniers believed some lies....but I've had posters here claiming there was some legitimate threat to democracy itself and trying everything they can to find some evidence of it.

Some conspiracy theories are just more fun.

For a few of these things like number 1...I don't know if he can be directly blamed for that...by the article's own admission:
"According to the NCRI tweet sharing these findings, a small number of “bad actors” were encouraging users to “amplify derogatory slurs” in the hours following Musk’s takeover."

In the hours following his takeover...which means nothing systematically had changed yet with the platform. A small number of 4-chan actors encouraging others to troll the platform or "test the waters" can't be blamed on him and shouldn't be considered a reflection of him nor an extension of him, For all his flaws, I don't think "overt racial bigot" is one of them.

For the rest of the things:

Left-leaning people insulting someone and getting a ban is what I would call "getting a taste of one's own medicine". I don't recall any outrage from people on the left when Jordan Peterson, Dave Rubin, and the Babylon Bee were getting banned.

I, personally, would like to see some regulation of the town square...just not the type of regulation most of the other liberal-leaning people would like to see. I'd like them to be confined to two simple sets of guardrails:

1) The rules enforced for state actors - since I consider the big social media platforms to be state actors at this point (meaning they can't play political or religious favoritism, and can't discriminate on the basis or race/sex/sexual orientation/etc...)
2) Prohibition of things that would be criminal to say/do in the real world (threats or encouragement of actual violence that would actually hold up in a court of law)

...and that's pretty much it.

I'd be fine with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0