✟367,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
So
1) Musk buys Twitter. Some people are concerned, some are happy there's a place for free speech!
2) Use of the "n word" shoots up 500%
Use of N-word, racial slurs up more than 500% on Twitter post-Musk, says new report
3) People worried about free speech are right. Others "feel bad" but are happy there's a place for free speech. People worried about hate speech start recognizing this new reality and start to embrace their version of free speech.
4) AOC insults Musk.
5) Always the lover of free speech, Musk/Twitter, shuts her out of her Dms
AOC says her Twitter account stopped working properly after she criticized Elon Musk
6) Parody accounts of Elon and others pop up with damaging insults.
The Parody Gold Created by Elon Musk’s Twitter Blue
7) Elon invents the blue check verification system.
8) Parody accounts begin to pop up.
Take a moment and appreciate the Eli Lilly one.
Eli Lilly loses billions in market cap after ‘verified’ Twitter impostor promises free insulin
7) Twitter bans Kathy Griffin for imitating Elon.
Twitter bans comedian Kathy Griffin for impersonating Elon Musk
I remember Elon tweeting:
FgwQtHjWIAAkuVG

IT's legal...but apparently it will get you banned to.

So it turns out free speech, at LEAST for Elon, REALLY just means that you should be able to use racist and discriminatory language (about other people) but you cannot imitate people.

There is a movement among some to create an endless supply of parody accounts to undermine the platform. As big as that task sounds, it's not REALLY. You just have to choose the exact right accounts. There is already evidence of that.

Twitter was already a dumpster fire barely in control. But now the people who tried to keep it under control were fired by Musk (some departments decimated by 70%). And now the people who were barely contributing to the dumpster fire are throwing jetfuel on it too; for the purpose of burning it to the ground.
And, wouldn't you know! Here it goes:
Musk Warns Twitter Bankruptcy Possible as Senior Executives Exit

Honestly. Here is how I view this debacle. NOBODY is a free speech absolutist. Nobody is. ESPECIALLY NOT the people who yell the loudest about it (in some strange irony). Everyone wants to control a certain part of speech or speech in some way. In this instance I see MANY people earlier who recognized how the unadulterated free speech of Twitter would ultimately lead to a lot of hate speech and awful people being emboldened and louder. I think that these are people who recognize the use of speech with limitations but, when given free reign, they also allow themselves to be as destructive as necessary.

There is a lesson to be learned about free speech here but I truly don't think many will get it.

Thoughts on the future of twitter?

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Honestly. Here is how I view this debacle. NOBODY is a free speech absolutist. Nobody is. ESPECIALLY NOT the people who yell the loudest about it (in some strange irony).

Some things just look better on paper, don't they Elon? ;)
Unless it was his intention to completely destroy Twitter in the first place.

(or the second place). Forcing someone to take control of a company after they've decided they didn't want to is probably not the brightest idea.

I really can't pigeonhole Elon, his motives or intelligence other than "wildcard" and "dangerous" due to his financial ability to do pretty much anything he wants and his propensity for doing so. He has plenty of room not to care about the consequences of his actions, thoughts words or ideas and the ability to exercise them on massive scales at a whim.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I was naive thinking there might be something wholesome or interesting exchanged there. Silly me.
There occasionally is. But I have never needed an account to occasionally see if someone else has something good to say on Twitter.

• Agree
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This forum a cesspool of vile political, moral and ethical opinion, but Twitter is even worse in both directions.

I guess that might depend on who one follows on Twitter.
Or here.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
At one point both SpaceX and Tesla were near death. Maybe you should give Twitter a few years before making up your mind.
I doubt it's going to take that long at this pace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
At one point both SpaceX and Tesla were near death. Maybe you should give Twitter a few years before making up your mind.

Tesla and SpaceX weren't desperately dependent on advertisers. This would be like SpaceX sending up a rocket named after a racial epithet and expecting Nike to sponsor it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So
1) Musk buys Twitter. Some people are concerned, some are happy there's a place for free speech!

Yup.

Everyone wants to taste forbidden fruit. I'm not sure what you're saying here though....You're upset the word is being used more often than it already was?

3) People worried about free speech are right. Others "feel bad" but are happy there's a place for free speech. People worried about hate speech start recognizing this new reality and start to embrace their version of free speech.

Could you rewrite this so it makes sense?

4) AOC insults Musk.

Hard to stay relevant when you can't do the job.

5) Always the lover of free speech, Musk/Twitter, shuts her out of her Dms
AOC says her Twitter account stopped working properly after she criticized Elon Musk

Not sure I'd take her word for it....but to quote some smug people who've been around for the past 6 years....

She can always just make her own social media network.

6) Parody accounts of Elon and others pop up with damaging insults.
The Parody Gold Created by Elon Musk’s Twitter Blue

That's the internet.

7) Elon invents the blue check verification system.

Mhmmm.
8) Parody accounts begin to pop up.

You already said this.

Take a moment and appreciate the Eli Lilly one.

Pass.

7) Twitter bans Kathy Griffin for imitating Elon.

See response to #4.

So it turns out free speech, at LEAST for Elon, REALLY just means that you should be able to use racist and discriminatory language (about other people) but you cannot imitate people.

I'm pretty sure both those things were already happening on Twitter....the only difference now is who gets punished for it.

Twitter was already a dumpster fire barely in control. But now the people who tried to keep it under control were fired by Musk (some departments decimated by 70%). And now the people who were barely contributing to the dumpster fire are throwing jetfuel on it too; for the purpose of burning it to the ground.

They sound bitter.

I wonder if they understand parody has to clearly be parody or there's a real risk of libel and slander charges if damages are incurred.

Ask Alex Jones.

Honestly. Here is how I view this debacle. NOBODY is a free speech absolutist. Nobody is.

I can't recall anyone claiming you should be allowed to yell fire in a crowded theatre.

ESPECIALLY NOT the people who yell the loudest about it (in some strange irony). Everyone wants to control a certain part of speech or speech in some way. In this instance I see MANY people earlier who recognized how the unadulterated free speech of Twitter would ultimately lead to a lot of hate speech and awful people being emboldened and louder.

What hate speech?

You mentioned an increase in certain racial slurs. I'm told in some contexts, certain slurs are acceptable.

I think that these are people who recognize the use of speech with limitations but, when given free reign, they also allow themselves to be as destructive as necessary.

The only destruction you've found is the spiteful attack of radical leftists who would rather burn their propaganda tool to the ground than lose it.

Either way, it's gone....I'm glad they don't have it.

All they will succeed by destroying Twitter is convincing investors to avoid these platforms in the future. It's a win-win.

There is a lesson to be learned about free speech here but I truly don't think many will get it.

If you haven't pushed back at the enforcement of personal pronoun usage with the threat of job loss...you're not really in a lesson teaching position.

Thoughts on the future of twitter?

I know what kind of user data it collected so I doubt Elon will be unable to profit.

If left wing radicals want to burn down the site that gave them the biggest audience they had because they now have to share it with people who have different opinions?

Awesome.

Because these are alt right meme warfare troll tactics....and since all those guys were exiled to other social media sites, I doubt they'll fall to the same methods.

They're only hurting themselves but that's very much the thing they're known for.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't recall anyone claiming you should be allowed to yell fire in a crowded theatre

Yet somehow yelling "FRAUD!" in a close election seems be in vogue
I think we may find that one is considerably more dangerous than the other.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yet somehow yelling "FRAUD!" in a close election seems be in vogue

Been in vogue most of my life.

Bush Jr got accused of election stealing....something to do with guys named Chad hanging around voting booths.

I think we may find that one is considerably more dangerous than the other.

That's definitely the story your party is selling you. There's one thing that you can be certain of, when you're lockstep in agreement with your government on what is true and what isn't.....and you're willing to support their efforts to suppress the rights of those who disagree.....there's no possible way you're the bad guys. That never happens.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Twitter was already barely profitable before. If you think annihilating your workforce, facing potentially billions in fines, and scaring away millions in advertising is going to work out for him, please explain how. About the best Elon can hope for now is to sell Twitter for peanuts before the liability drowns him.

Upvote 0