Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gen 1:5 and there was evening and there was morning - the first day.
Each of the first six creation days end with this statment.
This statment doesnt seem natural. what are your thoughts ??

Well, technically the first evening and morning are called "yom ehad" or "day one"/"one day". So evening and morning were literally called day one (instead of "first day"). The other days are called "day second", "day third", "day fourth" and so on, instead of calling them "day two", "day three", etc..

Some people seem to think that's important. Other than that, I don't see what's unnatural. The first chapter of Genesis is very poetic, and very old.

Upvote 0
M

millerrod2

thanks brothers !
i didn't mean unnatural in a bad way just unnatural for how i think i guess is what i mean i think of a day as from night to night like midnight to midnight or from morning to morning. to my thinking what its saying is from evening to morning which would be just the dark hours from evening-dark to morning -light.
maybe what it means is the evening is the end of creation and the morning is the beginning of creation . it just seems the statement was written in a very specific manner and repeated over and over and normally in scripture there is a meaning beneath such things.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
God created the evening to be the beginning of the day. As another poster said in reference to the Jewish calendar, Friday at sundown is when Shabbat (Sabbath) begins and it ends at sundown on Saturday evening.

Here is an interesting read on the calendar as set up according to the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

millerrod2

ok sister that makes sense for some reason i guess i needed to hear it twice:doh:
so what you all are saying is each new day starts in the evening of the previous day
God keeps pounding the word Twilight into my head and i am just studying trying to understand.

so by this statment in Gen. Twilight would be the end of the current day RIGHT ??
you could also say that Twilight is the end of each day of creation in Gen.
RIGHT??
and if this is all true and if we are now in the end times we would be in the TWILIGHT time of the whole of scripture
RIGHT ??

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just my thoughts...

The evening came first because it was dark in the begining of Creation upon the earth:

Before God began creating on earth it was dark - like evening.
Then He made light - and so dawned the morning of day one, but since the world was already in existence in the preceeding darkness, the light morning couldn't be called the begining of the first day.

Morning and light thus came simultanously as God's first creative act on the newly formed earth, but in recognition that the earth already existed in the darkness preceeding that, God says the day had already started back then, in the evening darekness.

So... there was evening darkness and then there was morning light, and the day carried on until 24 hours later evening fell and that was day two begining.

The rest of the days then had to follow that pattern, and therefore the Jewish people still start their days on what we call the evening before.

(Just my thoughts, hard to explain and I went on a bit, hope it makes sense. I've no idea if that's right, just seems to make sense to me!)

and if this is all true and if we are now in the end times we would be in the TWILIGHT time of the whole of scripture
RIGHT ??

Ooh, now that's making me think...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.