Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So ... we all recognize that the failure of the Israelites, in regard to God not allowing them to enter His rest ... was their failure to advance into Canaan when God first instructed them to do so.

Agreed. But in Ps 95 David uses this as an illustration of failing to continue to obey God and in Heb 3 it is a warning against failing to persevere in the faith. What is interesting is that Heb 4 says "some entered" what is more there is a direct appeal to the one "who has entered" God's rest.

Heb 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. 9 Consequently, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 10 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.

The "rest" is past tense "has entered" in Heb 4. "HAS also rested", "HAS entered His rest". Heb 3 ends on the note of "perseverance" to continue 14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we keep the beginning of our commitment firm until the end

============================
The appeal for the one "who HAS entered His rest" is to remain steadfast

Heb 3:12
Take care, brothers and sisters, that there will not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another every day, as long as it is still called “today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we keep the beginning of our commitment firm until the end,

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No ...
Brother, since God tells us what He means by the word "rest" as the rest of the seventh day of creation, we know that they did not enter God's Sabbath "rest" while keeping the seventh day of the week with manna for 40 years near the Promised Land. The reason is that the seventh day of the week is from morning to morning and remembering God's Sabbath "rest" near the Promised Land falls from evening to evening and not on the seventh day of the week from morning to morning. United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge
No ... the rest referred to ... is the Promised Land, entry into which a generation of Israelites was denied, ... for their lack of FAITH in God to deliver them into it ...

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
No ... No ... the rest referred to ... is the Promised Land, entry into which a generation of Israelites was denied, ... for their lack of FAITH in God to deliver them into it ...
Brother, there is no need to speculate what God meant by the word "rest" because the Hebrews 3 and 4 passage identifies the "rest" as referring to when God rested from His labor after creating the world on the seventh day of the week of creation.

God’s promise of entering his rest still stands, so we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to experience it. For this good news—that God has prepared this rest—has been announced to us just as it was to them. But it did them no good because they didn’t share the faith of those who listened to God. For only we who believe can enter his rest. As for the others, God said, “In my anger I took an oath: ‘They will never enter my place of rest,’” even though this rest has been ready since he made the world. We know it is ready because of the place in the Scriptures where it mentions the seventh day: “On the seventh day God rested from all his work.” But in the other passage God said, “They will never enter my place of rest.” (Hebrews 4:1-5 NLT)

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, since God tells us what He means by the word "rest" as the rest of the seventh day of creation, we know that they did not enter God's Sabbath "rest" while keeping the seventh day of the week with manna for 40 years near the Promised Land. The reason is that the seventh day of the week is from morning to morning and remembering God's Sabbath "rest" near the Promised Land falls from evening to evening and not on the seventh day of the week from morning to morning.
There is nothing is scripture which supports this interpretation ...

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing is scripture which supports this interpretation ...
The Sabbath!
Brother, the seventh day followed the pattern established from the first day. The first day in Genesis below, God tells us that it ends in a "morning", in the special case of the first day from first light to light again in the "morning". Evening falls in the middle of the first day dividing the halves that God called "day" and "night", in that order. Each day of the week ends in a "night" in which God has nothing to report from evening to morning because He only creates during the first half of light from morning to evening and stops creating every "night" from evening to morning.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was MORNING—the first day. (Genesis 1:3-5 NIV)​

A previous morning to morning day of the week is confirmed in the following passage. The "night" before is the weekday before and the "night" of the current weekday is the "night" to come. Confirming a weekday from morning to morning where "night" follows "day". The weekday as defined by God in Genesis ends in the "night" from evening to morning because before was the "day" from morning to evening forming a weekday from morning to morning with an evening in the middle that divides both halves that God called "day" and "night" in that order.

The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” (Genesis 19:34 NIV)​

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But it did them no good because they didn’t share the faith of those who listened to God. For only we who believe can enter his rest.
Listen to the reasoning of the scripture you have cited ...

"God’s promise of entering his rest still stands, so we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to experience it. For this good news—that God has prepared this rest—has been announced to us just as it was to them. But it did them no good because they didn’t share the faith of those who listened to God. For only we who believe can enter his rest."

The problem with the Israelites ... was an issue of FAITH, not of KNOWLEDGE. They simply didn't trust in God to deliver them ...

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Listen to the reasoning of the scripture you have cited ...

"God’s promise of entering his rest still stands, so we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to experience it. For this good news—that God has prepared this rest—has been announced to us just as it was to them. But it did them no good because they didn’t share the faith of those who listened to God. For only we who believe can enter his rest."

The problem with the Israelites ... was an issue of FAITH, not of KNOWLEDGE. They simply didn't trust in God to deliver them ...
Brother, the Israelites had no problem while they were in Israel because God had given them direct instructions on how to keep the Sabbath in Israel. It is we who are not near Israel who need to fully understand God's Sabbath "rest" to enter outside of Israel's time zone. United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. But in Ps 95 David uses this as an illustration of failing to continue to obey God and in Heb 3 it is a warning against failing to persevere in the faith. What is interesting is that Heb 4 says "some entered" what is more there is a direct appeal to the one "who has entered" God's rest.

Heb 4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, He would not have spoken of another day after that. 9 Consequently, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. 10 For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.

The "rest" is past tense "has entered" in Heb 4. "HAS also rested", "HAS entered His rest". Heb 3 ends on the note of "perseverance" to continue 14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we keep the beginning of our commitment firm until the end

============================
The appeal for the one "who HAS entered His rest" is to remain steadfast

Heb 3:12
Take care, brothers and sisters, that there will not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another every day, as long as it is still called “today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we keep the beginning of our commitment firm until the end,
Psalm 95 hearkens back to the events of Numbers 14.

Psalm 95

8 Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:

9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.

10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:

11 Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.

Hebrews 3 also hearkens back to the events of Numbers 14.

Hebrews 3

15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

16 For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.

17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?

18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?

19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews 4

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

So ... let's note a few things.

REST ... is one of the main themes of scripture. REST, biblically, ... represents a ceasing from one's labors ... as God did on the seventh day of Creation.

So ... the observation to keep the Sabbath rest (i.e. no labor/holiness) is the basis of the 4th of the 10 Commandments given to Israel in the First Covenant.

God desires to give us REST from our labors ...

"Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy ... and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

God desired to bring Israel into His rest (for them). However, when He commanded that they advance into the Promised Land, despite the negative reports of 10 of the 12 spies, the Israelites refused to go ... for they did not trust the Lord to give them the land. Therefore, God swore that none of that generation (which was of age to decide) would enter into the Promised Land (His rest for them). And so it was that the Israelites wandered in the wilderness for 40 years, until all of that generation had died off (which the exception of the faithful spies Caleb and Joshua). After this generation had thus died off, the younger Israelites were allowed by God to enter the Promised Land under Joshua.

This rather pivotal event in Israel's history is referred to numerous times in the writings of those that came after that time. Psalm 95 reflects upon it ... and so, Hebrews 3 and 4. The event ... and the memorial writings highlight the significance of FAITH in God by His people. And those events were, in some sense, a shadow of what was yet to come. For, ultimately, God would offer the individual members of humanity the opportunity to TRUST in Him ... to provide rest for them (i.e. salvation). As in the case of the OT Israelites, that rest is not something that we can work for, ... rather it is something which we have to place our FAITH in God to provide.

Thus Paul writes centuries later that God's rest for believers (i.e. salvation) is OF God's GRACE, ... through the FAITH which He gives to us, ... and emphatically ... NOT OF WORKS. It is something that we have to trust God to provide to us. We can't work to OBTAIN it ... and we can't work to KEEP it (Galatians 3).

I would submit that the seventh day Sabbath is, itself, also a shadow ... of the fulfillment of REST God desires to give to us. It is a reminder (God is fond of these) ... that it is God's intention to give us His rest ... if we have but the FAITH to Trust in Him to do so.

As to the significance of Sabbath day rest on the seventh day, ... I think that God chose the seventh day ... because that is the day upon which He rested from His labors. It is clearly important for us to have one day's rest out of each seven, and if one wished to be adherent to the Law given to Israel in the first Covenant, ... then the seventh day would be the day that we should REST (i.e not work). But Jesus Himself demonstrated that slavish adherence to seventh day traditions had a measure of flexibility. He allowed His disciples to glean on the Sabbath, He healed on the Sabbath, and He said the "It is good ... to do good ... on the Sabbath", whether that involves work or not. He rightly said that He was Lord of the Sabbath (i.e. He dictated the terms of its observance) ... and that ultimately, from His standpoint, that "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." I interpret that to mean that the Sabbath (i.e. rest of God) should be observed to the benefit of humanity ... and not so rigidly ... that it loses its benefit.

When one celebrates the Sabbath should not be a cause for divisions among believers. To this end, Paul said ...

Romans 14

4 "Who art thou that judges another man's servant? to his own master he stands or falls. Yea, he shall be held up: for God is able to make him stand.

5 One man esteems one day above another: another esteems every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regards the day, regards it unto the Lord; and he that regards not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it."

We are not to judge one another regarding the days that we choose to esteem before God. Such a thing simply is not significant enough to break the fellowship of Christ's followers.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
the Promised Land (His rest for them).
Brother, the passage says that before understood is Jesus' message in Hebrews 3 and 4 in the new covenant to correct our understanding of the Sabbath, the Sabbath of Judaism is a shadow of what Jesus would lead His church (body) to understand in Hebrews 3 and 4. Jesus would change our understanding of the Saturday tradition of Judaism by helping us understand the history of what He taught with a Sabbath for 40 years from morning to morning with manna and the Sabbath kept in the Promised Land under Joshua until the time of Jesus when He walked among His own.

Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the body that casts it belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17 BSB)​

You weave a web of speculation when there is no need to speculate what God meant by the word "rest" because the Hebrews 3 and 4 passage identifies the "rest" as referring to when God rested from His labor after creating the world on the seventh day of the week of creation.

God’s promise of entering his rest still stands, so we ought to tremble with fear that some of you might fail to experience it. For this good news—that God has prepared this rest—has been announced to us just as it was to them. But it did them no good because they didn’t share the faith of those who listened to God. For only we who believe can enter his rest. As for the others, God said, “In my anger I took an oath: ‘They will never enter my place of rest,’” even though this rest has been ready since he made the world. We know it is ready because of the place in the Scriptures where it mentions the seventh day: “On the seventh day God rested from all his work.” But in the other passage God said, “They will never enter my place of rest.” (Hebrews 4:1-5 NLT)

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, the passage says that before understood is Jesus' message in Hebrews 3 and 4 in the new covenant to correct our understanding of the Sabbath, the Sabbath of Judaism is a shadow of what Jesus would lead His church (body) to understand in Hebrews 3 and 4. Jesus would change our understanding of the Saturday tradition of Judaism by helping us understand the history of what He taught with a Sabbath for 40 years from morning to morning with manna and the Sabbath kept in the Promised Land under Joshua until the time of Jesus when He walked among His own.

Therefore let no one judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a feast, a New Moon, or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the body that casts it belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:16-17 BSB)​

You weave a web of speculation when there is no need to speculate what God meant by the word "rest" because the Hebrews 3 and 4 passage identifies the "rest" as referring to when God rested from His labor after creating the world on the seventh day of the week of creation.

Just a quick note ...

The idea of REST occurs in other places in the scriptures where it is not specifically correlated with the seventh day Sabbath.

One of these occurs in the remembrances of the events of Numbers 14, for instance in Psalm 95.

Another occurs in Jesus' own invitation to find REST in Him, found in Matthew 11:28-30.

If you truly believe that God makes one of the particulars of the gift of salvation he offers us ... the timing of Sabbath (i.e. REST) day observance, ... a gift for which He witnessed the crucifixion of His own Son, ... I would suggest that you read and study to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of the scriptures.

Much can be gained in understanding of the scriptures ... by having read and, at least, attempting to comprehend them all. If you haven't read and, at least, tried to comprehend all of the scriptures, I would suggest that you hesitate in your pronouncements ... just in case you may be wrong.

BTW, that would be my suggestion for any aspiring teacher of the Word. It is best if you have absorbed ALL of it (or, have attempted to do so). Remember, biblically, teachers are held to a higher standard.

Here's to a more comprehensive understanding, brother ...

Chuck

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Just a quick note ...

The idea of REST occurs in other places in the scriptures where it is not specifically correlated with the seventh day Sabbath.

One of these occurs in the remembrances of the events of Numbers 14, for instance in Psalm 95.

Another occurs in Jesus' own invitation to find REST in Him, found in Matthew 11:28-30.

If you truly believe that God makes one of the particulars of the gift of salvation he offers us upon the timing of Sabbath (i.e. REST) day observance, ... a gift for which He witnessed the crucifixion of His own Son, ... I would suggest that you read and study to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of the scriptures.

Much can be gained in understanding of the scriptures ... by having read and, at least, attempting to comprehend them all. If you haven't read and, at least, tried to comprehend all of the scriptures, I would suggest that you hesitate in your pronouncements ... just in case you may be wrong.

BTW, that would be my suggestion for any aspiring teacher of the Word. It is best if you have absorbed ALL of it (or, have attempted to do so). Remember, biblically, teachers are held to a higher standard ...
Brother, I have considered the whole word of God and assured by the word of God of what I am sharing. No other truth has so much unopposed supporting evidence. United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, I have considered the whole word of God and assured by the word of God of what I am sharing. No other truth has so much unopposed supporting evidence. United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge
Glad to hear it.

One day we shall come into a common understanding of the faith, once delivered to the saints ...

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Glad to hear it. One day we shall come into a common understanding of the faith, once delivered to the saints ...
Brother, as it is written!

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure. (1 John 3:1-3 NIV)​

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
The sabbath can be kept by anyone who wants to keep it, rest and holy, you can keep food laws, you can keep any laws that you feel are relevant, ( circumcision etc) but you still are under the law to Christ on the days before the sabbath and the days after, this overwrites set laws, of stone, and replaces them by laws in the heart.

Then, after the sabbath, what do you do differently than you did, taking rest ?

That hardly amounts to a narrow path, it is an easier path.

The narrow path is loosing your life, few do that, the Apostles did that , Jesus had done that to have nowhere to lay His head. Learn that, or only learn what faith does not teach.

1 Corinthians 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
you still are under the law to Christ on the days before the sabbath and the days after, this overwrites set laws, of stone, and replaces them by laws in the heart.
Brother, Jesus reveals below: He is the one they heard on the mountain and Moses saw the finger writing the ten commandments. The ten commandments are commandments of Jesus.

And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, (John 5:37 NIV)​

According to Jesus, the law remains until accomplished is "everything", giving us the plural commandments.

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:17-20 NIV)​

Therefore, His commandments (plural) include the previous ten commandments and whatever else He adds to them: the singular commandment below. What's "new" about this added commandment below: Jesus gave His life for His friends. I think of missionaries who give up a privileged life to live and help the less privileged among us. This added commandment is part of the commandments of His Father, that Jesus now adds to His own ten commandments written by His own finger before the incarnation.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35 NIV)​

We are to keep all of Jesus commandments, before and after the incarnation.

If you love me, obey my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you. Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.” (John 14:15-21 NLT)​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The sabbath can be kept by anyone who wants to keep it,

That is true.

Ex 16 "TOMORROW IS the Sabbath"
Ex 20:10 "the seventh day IS the Sabbath of the Lord"

And for 40 years anyone in Israel who struggled with that would go hungry on the 7th day of each week when no manna fell on that day.

you still are under the law to Christ on the days before the sabbath and the days after,
"

In fact it is Christ that gave the Ten Commandments at Sinai - see Heb 8:5-12

The TEN are included in the Law of God known to Jeremiah and his readers when in Jer 31:31-34 he says he Law of God is written on the Heart under the NEW Covenant.

Rom 3:31 "31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? Far from it! On the contrary, we establish the Law."

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God"

1 John 5:3 "This IS the Love of God - that we KEEP His Commandments"

Rev 14:12 "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
Brother, Jesus reveals below: He is the one they heard on the mountain and Moses saw the finger writing the ten commandments. The ten commandments are commandments of Jesus.

And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, (John 5:37 NIV)​

According to Jesus, the law remains until accomplished is "everything", giving us the plural commandments.

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:17-20 NIV)​

Therefore, His commandments (plural) include the previous ten commandments and whatever else He adds to them: the singular commandment below. What's "new" about this added commandment below: Jesus gave His life for His friends. I think of missionaries who give up a privileged life to live and help the less privileged among us. This added commandment is part of the commandments of His Father, that Jesus now adds to His own ten commandments written by His own finger before the incarnation.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35 NIV)​

We are to keep all of Jesus commandments, before and after the incarnation.

If you love me, obey my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you. Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.” (John 14:15-21 NLT)​

Jesus gave the ten in tables of stone, and to men with hearts of stone, including to kill their children witches, to hate their enemies.

That is gone.

What remains is gentleness, and this is to know Jesus Christ, as through the law, we clearly see nobody knew the Lord..

Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

Philippians 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
That is true.

Ex 16 "TOMORROW IS the Sabbath"
Ex 20:10 "the seventh day IS the Sabbath of the Lord"

And for 40 years anyone in Israel who struggled with that would go hungry on the 7th day of each week when no manna fell on that day.

"

In fact it is Christ that gave the Ten Commandments at Sinai - see Heb 8:5-12

The TEN are included in the Law of God known to Jeremiah and his readers when in Jer 31:31-34 he says he Law of God is written on the Heart under the NEW Covenant.

Rom 3:31 "31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? Far from it! On the contrary, we establish the Law."

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God"

1 John 5:3 "This IS the Love of God - that we KEEP His Commandments"

Rev 14:12 "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"

Read and see again...

John 6:26 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

John 6:31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.
33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.
34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

The law is not established in what Israel did, did you notice what John 6 establishes ? It is faith, and it is what I teach, against law, and that is why the Jews saw, but believed not.

Then ask what did they believe in ?

Yes it is answered, pity you wont want to discuss it.

They ( like you) have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge ( the knowledge of the faith of Jesus Christ which is against law, which is not of faith)

Then you go about to establish law ( even in your verse you try to provide for your doctrine) which also says, you are then not submitting yourself to the righteousness of God.

The righteousness of God then is as witnessed: Christ is the end of the law ( which is for righteousness to every one that believes) Remember the Jews could not believe because of the same things you follow ( how they got no bread on the seventh day, but that is not the bread from Heaven nor the true bread which they and you seek)..

Romans 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Jesus gave the ten in tables of stone, and to men with hearts of stone,
Brother, God gave them "milk" because they could not process "solid food". For example, He had to speak direct in how to keep the Sabbath in the Promised Land, because they were unable to learn why they were to keep the Sabbath as they did. They did not "share the faith of those who obey". He expects more from us who have more of His word to know Him better.
including to kill their children witches,
God hates the sin but not the sinner. God knows how and wants to separate the sin from the sinner to save the sinner without saving the sin. It takes a lot of patience and love that His people did not have toward their enemies like God does.
to hate their enemies.
He did not teach them to hate their enemies, only to hate the sin that they misunderstood as hating their enemy.
That is gone.
God does not change, He is the same today as He has always been. You have not understood God if you think He has changed.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8 NLT)​
What remains is gentleness, and this is to know Jesus Christ, as through the law, we clearly see nobody knew the Lord..
Gentleness was always there toward the Gentiles. God did not want walls separating the Gentiles from His people. God's people wanted a human king instead of God as their king because they wanted protection from their enemies that God was not providing because He loved His enemies and they did not love them. God has always loved the Gentiles but hated their sin. God knows He can separate the Gentiles from their sin and save the Gentiles without saving the sin.
Matthew 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
God knows how to give the sinner rest from his sins. What makes the process unnecessarily difficult is if you do not "share the faith of those who obey".
Hebrews 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;
Jesus can save anyone because He lives forever to complete the process of separating sin from the sinner to save the Gentiles without saving their sins.
Philippians 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
God calls us out of the world, not to hate our enemies, but to love them: willing to do what it takes to save the sinners by separating Gentiles from their sins. United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0

prophecy_uk

May 3, 2004
✟11,107.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8 NLT)​

Jesus does not change, and let every man be fully persuaded on every day being the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow and for ever..

Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Galatians 4:10 Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Upvote 0