Heaven—What is the barebones,minimum requirement to get there?

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Some Christians believe that it is important to have no unconfessed grave/mortal sin on one's soul at the time of death. They could well be right. The Early Church appears to have placed a great emphasis upon the importance of avoiding grave sins.

Reactions: Jimbo Hall
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Some Christians believe that it is important to have no unconfessed grave/mortal sin on one's soul at the time of death. They could well be right. The Early Church appears to have placed a great emphasis upon the importance of avoiding grave sins.

Perhaps, but let's just remember the thief on the cross next to Jesus didn't go through a confessional. He believed in his heart that we was facing his Lord, and he was saved.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I personally do not believe that a confessional is necessary, though it might still be important to have confessed any grave sins directly to God before we die. I suppose that we could say that the thief on the cross was in essence confessing any sins by asking Jesus to remember him in his Kingdom.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I personally do not believe that a confessional is necessary, though it might still be important to have confessed any grave sins directly to God before we die.

It's sort of like the Anglican saying "all can, some should, none must". A moral inventory is the normal part of a Christian life, but at the same time if we are talking about what's absolutely necessary, that's a different matter.

I think the thief's response was what he felt in his heart was fitting and dignified, the fruit of his faith, but I wouldn't exactly say it caused him to be saved. It's not like Jesus was dangling salvation out there waiting on him to say the magic words. Rather, the words are the sacramental moment that leads to Jesus response to his faith, declaring that salvation is his.

I suspect the thief had a small faith too. Like maybe he was going to take that leap of faith, to take a chance on this new rabbi that people were talking about. He may have barely even heard of Jesus, but he knew he was a dead man, and that was enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: jmldn2
Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are held responsible for that which we have the ability of. The thief who had no chance to go to a confession was held accountable to what he had the chance to do repentance wise before death. But for those of us who have the time and do not work, it is indicative of a lack of faith. Faith without works is dead. So for Christian living you need to have faith, as that is what saves, but also fuel that faith with works so it doesn't die.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seeing oneself as a lost sinner who needs a Saviour,would be my guess....Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner is adequate to save ,I think.....anybody out there see things differently than I do?
We need to know that because of Adam's Original Sin, we have been born evil/sinful/satanic involuntarily in our hearts and are bound for hell when we die.(ROMANS.5:12, MATTHEW.5:27-30)
... And if we also go and voluntarily commit murder, adultery, stealing, blasphemy, idolatry, lying/cheating or other sins/evil-deeds, we will also end up with a sad and short life on earth.(DEUT.28:15, ROMANS.2:10, 1JOHN.5:16-19, 1COR.5:5 & 11:30)

So, we need to have faith in God's Law/Word/commandments AND in God's Son, Jesus, in order to be saved from hell.
... Bear in mind that the Son was God on earth, ie God's Law/Word/commandments s also the Son's Law/Word/commandments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
We are held responsible for that which we have the ability of. The thief who had no chance to go to a confession was held accountable to what he had the chance to do repentance wise before death. But for those of us who have the time and do not work, it is indicative of a lack of faith. Faith without works is dead. So for Christian living you need to have faith, as that is what saves, but also fuel that faith with works so it doesn't die.

We Lutherans would tend to say some of the same things, except we would emphasize it is necessary to continue to have faith the rest of our life, to not despise the Word and the Sacraments, and we also believe that faith normally produces some kind of fruit in ones life. But we look to the sacraments for grace, primarily. We look to our works to see our sinfulness and our dependence on God's grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seeing oneself as a lost sinner who needs a Saviour,would be my guess....Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner is adequate to save ,I think.....anybody out there see things differently than I do?
Nothing short of perfect righteousness is the bare bones minimum.
Since we have all missed the mark, then what hope is there for any of us?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

How do you show that you have faith in jesus?

By the quality of a changed life, by your giving up sinful habits, adopting more 'healthy' or 'helpful' habits.
Things like stopping swearing, getting drunk/drugs, speeding, paying all ones taxes, not watching inappropriate content etc etc etc

None of these make one a Christian, they arejust signs of a changed life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The barebones minimum requirement?

I guess it is to be invited.

John 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. "

But I don't think the Father draws them in a barebones minimum way.

Matthew 4:17 "From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.”

So repentance follows the call and is an essential part of the process. Otherwise, Jesus would have been preaching, "Relax, I've got this covered" instead of "Repent". I don't think we even know how to repent without Christ. Forgiveness is forgiveness for what we have done and do. Repentance is on ongoing change of direction, an orientation towards Christ, a course correction guided by God. The more a life is lived in repentance and obedience, the less forgiveness is required day by day, and the more that life is transformed and changes.

Repentance without Christ would be like trying to navigate with a compass that always pointed towards yourself instead of True North. Christ without repentance would be like having a compass that worked and not using it.

The sacrifice and resurrection and forgiveness of Christ make all of this possible. It's an invitation and an undeserved honor. We need to respond as such. I don't think that's something that is done in a bareboned minimum way.

Matthew 22:10-14

10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered everyone they could find, both evil and good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 But when the king came in to see the guests, he spotted a man who was not dressed in wedding clothes.

12‘Friend,’ he asked, ‘how did you get in here without wedding clothes?’ But the man was speechless.

13 Then the king told the servants, ‘Tie him hand and foot and throw him outside into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

14 For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved. This is the "will of the Father." And Jesus Christ will lose none and will cast out no one who comes to Him.

All who have believed have entered into "rest." (Christ is our Sabbath). Christ has said, "come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Having been born again, passed from death to life, and sealed by the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption, we have absolute assurance and hope, not in ourselves, but in Christ our Saviour.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Nothing short of perfect righteousness is the bare bones minimum.
Since we have all missed the mark, then what hope is there for any of us?

With man this is impossible, with God all things are possible.

You are correct, all of us have "missed the mark", we have all fallen short of the glory of God.

This is why we need the sinless, spotless "Lamb of God." He alone takes away the sins of the world. And all who come to Him, he will not cast out and He will lose no one.

No one can earn or keep salvation by their own efforts. Salvation is Christ + nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Heaven—What is the barebones, minimum requirement to get there?
ACTS.2: =
37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

A Vital Church Grows
40 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.” 41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. 42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

To repent of sins and stop sinning is to have faith in God's Law, and together with faith in God's Son, Jesus, one is saved from hell or inherits the kingdom of heaven when he/she dies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Nearly all sins can be forgiven.

Upvote 0