"He who practices righteousness is righteous" (1 John 3:7)

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Gospel is only believed by Grace Acts 18:27
27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

Believing is a Gift of Grace given by God, its a Fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:22

The grace is the Gospel. Don't you understand that?

The grace is received by faith, not by works

Romans 5:1-2 (NIV)
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.

Galatians 2:15-16 (WEB) Bolding mine… 15 We, being Jews by nature, and not Gentile sinners, 16 yet knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the law, because no flesh will be justified by the works of the law.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.

Galatians 2:15-16 (WEB) Bolding mine… 15 We, being Jews by nature, and not Gentile sinners, 16 yet knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the law, because no flesh will be justified by the works of the law.

Indeed. Grace is a part of the gospel.

“But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.” (Acts of the Apostles 20:24).

But it is satan who blinds the minds of men (and not God electing many to reprobation) because of their own unbelief.

“But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” (2 Corinthians 4:3-6).

“How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?” (Romans 10:14).

If Calvinism was true, then there would be no need to preach the gospel because God would just lead men to be regenerated so as to open a Bible at just the right spot to be saved.

Anyways, may God bless you today, my friend;
And thanks for sharing the verses today.

Peace be unto you in the Lord.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not even relevant friend. Salvation is solely by Grace apart from works. It seems like you cant shake conditionalism, not good.
Very much relevant. For one Paul is speaking to believers. We know this by his use of the word you in the text below. Also when we consider the context of the two passages we see that Paul Warns not to be partakers with them. Them being the children of disobedience. So the question is, What is it that he is warning them not to be partaking of with the children of disobedience. The answer is found in the text, the wrath of God. Interestingly enough the first starts with Be not deceived. So ......

(Eph 5:6 [KJV])
Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

(Eph 5:7 [KJV])
Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

Salvation my friend starts here through Christ in the life now. For we are dead never the less we live. Yet not us but Christ lives in us. In the life we now live in the flesh we live by the faith of the son of God who gave himself for us. For it is God that works in us both to will and do his good pleasure.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I understand that believing the Gospel takes the working of almighty Grace to cause it to happen. Its not something man can do naturally and it be saving.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very much relevant. For one Paul is speaking to believers. We know this by his use of the word you in the text below. Also when we consider the context of the two passages we see that Paul Warns not to be partakers with them. Them being the children of disobedience. So the question is, What is it that he is warning them not to be partaking of with the children of disobedience. The answer is found in the text, the wrath of God. Interestingly enough the first starts with Be not deceived. So ......

Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

Salvation my friend starts here through Christ in the life now. For we are dead never the less we live. Yet not us but Christ lives in us. In the life we now live in the flesh we live by the faith of the son of God who gave himself for us. For it is God that works in us both to will and do his good pleasure.
I dont see how its relevant, Salvation is by grace and not conditioned on man and his works.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You believe faith is a condition to be saved, yet refuse to believe that you are to endure in that faith by which you were saved. That is strange.

This is a mistaken characterization of my position. A Strawman. I believe a person will "endure to the end" because they are truly saved, receiving all they need from the Holy Spirit in order to endure. I just don't hold to the notion that such endurance is fundamentally a work of man, something he does for God rather than something God does in and for him (Philippians 2:13; Philippians 1:6; Romans 8:13; Ephesians 3:16, etc.). This is classic Christianity. Nothing strange about it at all.

You are saying then that faith is a past experience to be saved, and now have your salvation guaranteed whether you continue to believe or not. Not in Scripture, rather, YOU are commanded to continue in the faith to be saved.

No, I am not saying "faith is a past experience." This is your Strawman version of what I'm saying. Faith is an integral and constant necessity in walking with God. "The just shall live by faith," Paul wrote. I believe it. But the salvation of the believer is a one-time event - just as physical birth is - that makes the believer a "new creature in Christ." (2 Corinthians 5:17) All throughout the NT, salvation and the spiritual condition it engenders is spoken of as a fully-accomplished fact, not as something that is coming to pass only as the believer acts by faith to make it so. (1 Corinthians 1:30; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Colossians 3:3, etc.) The faith the believer is to exert is in the accomplished fact of their salvation and in the promises of God to His adopted sons and daughters. This faith does not make one's salvation, however; it simply recognizes what has already been done by God in one's life.

Luke 21:34-36 (WEB) Speaking to His followers
34 “So be careful, or your hearts will be loaded down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day will come on you suddenly. 35 For it will come like a snare on all those who dwell on the surface of all the earth. 36 Therefore be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

To whom was Jesus speaking here? Born-again believers? No. Had he died on the cross for the sins of mankind? No. Did Jesus speak of salvation through trust in himself as Saviour and Lord, of cleansing of sin through his shed blood, of new spiritual life in himself? No. Jesus was in the temple, speaking to spiritually-unregenerate Jews, still bound under the Old Testament covenant. His words here, then, are hardly a prescription for born-again saints of God.

1 Corinthians 10:1-12 (WEB)
1 Now I would not have you ignorant, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2 and were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
3 and all ate the same spiritual food;
4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of a spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ.
5 However with most of them, God was not well pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
7 Don’t be idolaters, as some of them were. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” [Exodus 32:6]
8 Let us not commit sexual immorality, as some of them committed, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell.
9 Let us not test Christ, as some of them tested, and perished by the serpents.
10 Do not grumble, as some of them also grumbled, and perished by the destroyer.
11 Now all these things happened to them by way of example, and they were written for our admonition, on whom the ends of the ages have come.
12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands be careful that he doesn’t fall.

Yes, and? You read this passage through saved-and-lost lenses. I don't. Does Paul anywhere in this passage warn the Corinthians that their salvation is in jeopardy? No. Does he anywhere in this passage clearly state that the Corinthian believers must earn their salvation by "enduring to the end"? No. What does Paul mean, then, by "fall" in verse 12? Well, if you believe you can lose your salvation, you will jump to the conclusion that by "fall" he means "lose salvation." But I don't hold to this view, so, when I read "fall," I understand Paul to mean "fall from fellowship (not relationship) with God," and "fall from a righteous life into a sinful one." And so, Paul writes in the very next verses,

1 Corinthians 10:13
13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Paul's focus here is on dealing with temptation, not loss of salvation. And he puts the onus for successful resisting of temptation, not upon the endurance and will-power of the believer, but upon the faithfulness and "way of escape" God provides in Himself.

Hebrews 3:12-15 (WEB)
12 Beware, brothers and sisters, lest perhaps there might be in any one of you an evil heart of unbelief, in falling away from the living God;
13 but exhort one another day by day, so long as it is called “today”, lest anyone of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.
14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence firm to the end,
15 while it is said, “Today if you will hear his voice, do not harden your hearts, as in the rebellion.” [Psalm 95:7-8]

Hebrews 4:11 (WEB)
11 Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, lest anyone fall after the same example of disobedience.

The example of the unbelieving Israelites doesn't help your case any. Did God abandon His Chosen People when they chose not to believe Him and enter into the Promised Land? Did they lose their relationship with God through their "evil heart of unbelief"? No. Though they were barred from the Promised Land by their sinful unbelief, God continued with them in the wilderness caring for them, protecting them as His own Chosen People.

The Hebrews lost out on the blessing of the Promised Land by their unbelief but their relationship to Jehovah remained intact, dependent as it was upon the faithfulness of God, not their own faithfulness. Here, then, is a great illustration of the state of affairs between NT believers and their Heavenly Father. Our lack of faith doesn't eradicate our relationship to Him any more than it did the relationship the OT Israelites had to Him as His Chosen People. God remains faithful to us even when we vacillate in our faithfulness toward Him.

So, then, what does "fall" mean in verse 11 of chapter 4 of Hebrews? An end of one's relationship with God? A loss of salvation? No. It means what it did for the OT Jews: a loss of the blessing of the promise of God. That's all.

As I've done now many times in this thread, I've shown how you've misinterpreted Scripture in these three instances, twisting them to conform to a works-salvation view. I haven't the time or interest to run down each of the other passages you reference, but, hopefully, readers of this thread can see in what I have shown above the error in your use of the passages as ground for a saved-and-lost, works-salvation perspective.

You agreed that, by repentance and faith we are saved, which is sanctification.

Galatians 5:24-25 (WEB)
24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit

Therefore, faith is sanctification onto God – which is, being disciples of Lord Jesus, the denying of the old life, and now living to obey all that the Lord Jesus commanded of us – a holy life as slaves to righteousness.

Sanctification is, as I showed, first a work of God upon the born-again believer, sanctifying or setting apart the believer unto Himself, purifying him by perfectly justifying him in Christ. (1 Corinthians 1:30) The believer then, by faith, lives out the FACT of their PERFECT sanctification in Christ in their daily living. But this is to work out only what God has first worked in by His Spirit. (Philippians 2:12-13) The believer's sanctification is fully-accomplished in Christ, satisfying God completely; it is not a work they do for God to earn their entrance into His kindgom. Such an idea is to make the believer a co-Saviour with Christ, which is gross blasphemy, in my view.

Yet you say obedience to Lord Jesus is optional. If that be the case, how can you live a sanctified life onto God when obedience to God is optional?

How can you say sanctification is necessary, yet, you think obedience is optional?

Optional in what way? Did I say a genuine believer could live in disobedience to God constantly and comfortably, moving not one inch toward a more holy life? No. Spiritual immaturity, bad teaching, the resistance of powerful, sinful habits - these all hinder the believer in moving into a holy, spiritually-fruitful life, at times producing disobedience in the life of a genuine believer. Does the battle the believer wages spiritually, and the occasional stumbling into sin that inevitably occurs as a result of this battle, mean the believer has lost his salvation? Absolutely not. The first letter of Paul to the Corinthians totally demolishes this notion. As his letter illustrates, believers can be carnal, immature spiritually, contentious, caught up in gross sexual sin, prideful, and so on and still be "brethren," "babes in Christ," "temples of the Holy Spirit," God's "field" and "buildings," and so on.

In this sense, sanctification in practical living is temporarily "optional." Spiritual sanctification, though, is not. But, thankfully, this sanctification is a perfect work of God, utterly impossible for us to achieve on our own, that He performs upon us in and through Christ.

This is basic, orthodox Christianity. How is it that these doctrines are so apparently unknown to you? Who has been teaching you? Yikes.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dont see how its relevant, Salvation is by grace and not conditioned on man and his works.
Yet Paul is speaking to believers. We know this by his use of the word you in Eph 5:6, Which would be US the readers .
Paul Warns the readers, US not to be partakers with them. Them being the children of disobedience.
So the question is again, What is it that he is warning US the reader not to be partaking of with the children of disobedience. The answer is found in the Eph 5:6, the wrath of God.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yet Paul is speaking to believers. We know this by his use of the word you in Eph 5:6, Which would be US the readers .
Paul Warns the readers, US not to be partakers with them. Them being the children of disobedience.
So the question is again, What is it that he is warning US the reader not to be partaking of with the children of disobedience. The answer is found in the Eph 5:6, the wrath of God.

Still no relevance, Salvation is by Grace apart from works !

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand that believing the Gospel takes the working of almighty Grace to cause it to happen. Its not something man can do naturally and it be saving.

That is your believe, because that is what you were taught. But the Scriptures state that we access God's grace and power to be saved through faith.

Romans 1:16-17 (NIV)
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a mistaken characterization of my position. A Strawman. I believe a person will "endure to the end" because they are truly saved, receiving all they need from the Holy Spirit in order to endure.

No one on this board denies that we receive from the Holy Spirit all we need to endure. However, to receive from the Spirit all that you need to endure, you are obligated to continue in the faith to live, walk, and sow to the Spirit who dwells in those who believe. These are the ones the Spirit leads, because many will resist, quench, insult, and grieve the Holy Spirit:

Romans 8:12-14 (NIV)
Writing to the Church in Rome
12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation — but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it.
13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but
if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. 14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB)
Writing to the Church in Galatia
7 Don’t be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption. But he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9 Let us not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if we don’t give up.

No, I am not saying "faith is a past experience." This is your Strawman version of what I'm saying. Faith is an integral and constant necessity in walking with God. "The just shall live by faith," Paul wrote. I believe it. But the salvation of the believer is a one-time event.

Yes, we already know you believe that once you believed that you are guaranteed salvation. Apparently you believe that means, that your faith is guaranteed to continue as well.

Despite what you believe, that is not what the Scriptures teach us. Rather, the Scriptures keep warning and admonishing us to continue in the faith, to endure in the faith to the end, to be eternally saved.

The Scriptures give us no guarantee that you will continue in the faith, but salvation is guaranteed to those who do continue to believe onto the end.

Luke 21:34-36 (WEB) Speaking to His followers
34 “So be careful, or your hearts will be loaded down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day will come on you suddenly. 35 For it will come like a snare on all those who dwell on the surface of all the earth. 36 Therefore be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

1 Corinthians 10:1-12 (WEB)
1 Now I would not have you ignorant, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 and were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 and all ate the same spiritual food; 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of a spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ. 5 However with most of them, God was not well pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
7 Don’t be idolaters, as some of them were. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” [Exodus 32:6]
8 Let us not commit sexual immorality, as some of them committed, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell.
9 Let us not test Christ, as some of them tested, and perished by the serpents.
10 Do not grumble, as some of them also grumbled, and perished by the destroyer.
11 Now all these things happened to them by way of example, and they were written for our admonition, on whom the ends of the ages have come. 12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands be careful that he doesn’t fall.

Hebrews 3:12-15 (WEB) 12 Beware, brothers and sisters, lest perhaps there might be in any one of you an evil heart of unbelief, in falling away from the living God; 13 but exhort one another day by day, so long as it is called “today”, lest anyone of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ, IF WE hold the beginning of our confidence firm to the end, 15 while it is said,
Today if you will hear his voice, do not harden your hearts, as in the rebellion.” [Psalm 95:7-8]

Hebrews 4:11 (WEB)
11 Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, lest anyone fall after the same example of disobedience.

Romans 11:20-22 (WEB)
20 True; by their unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God didn’t spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 See then the goodness and severity of God. Toward those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in his goodness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

Revelation 14:12-13 (WEB)
12 Here is the perseverance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.” 13 I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write, ‘Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.’” “Yes,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors; for their works follow with them.

Revelation 3:1-5 (WEB)
1 “I know your works, that you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2 Wake up and keep the things that remain, which you were about to throw away, for I have found no works of yours perfected before my God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard. Keep it and repent. If therefore you won’t watch, I will come as a thief, and you won’t know what hour I will come upon you. 4 Nevertheless you have a few names in Sardis that did not defile their garments. They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. 5 He who overcomes will be arrayed in white garments, and I will in no way blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB) Speaking to the Galatian Church
7 Do not be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption.
But he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.
9 Let us not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if we do not give up.

Ephesians 5:3-9 (WEB)
5 Know this for sure, that no sexually immoral person, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and God.
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words. For because of these things, the wrath of God comes on the children of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them. 8 For you were once darkness, but are now light in the Lord. Walk as children of light, 9 for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth.

1 Timothy 1:18-20 (WEB)18 I commit this instruction to you, my child Timothy, according to the prophecies which were given to you before, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 19 holding faith and a good conscience, which some having thrust away made a shipwreck concerning the faith

1 Timothy 4:1-2 (WEB) 4 But the Spirit says expressly that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 through the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, branded in their own conscience as with a hot iron

1 Timothy 4:14-16 (WEB) 14 Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the elders. 15 Be diligent in these things. Give yourself wholly to them, that your progress may be revealed to all. 16 Pay attention to yourself and to your teaching. Continue in these things, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

1 Timothy 6:18-21 (WEB)
18 that they do good, that they be rich in good works, that they be ready to distribute, willing to share; 19 laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold of eternal life.
20 Timothy, guard that which is committed to you, turning away from the empty chatter and oppositions of what is falsely called knowledge, 21 which some profess, and thus have wandered from the faith.

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

As a Christian, that you appear to believe you are,
  • Have you ever been tempted to sin?
  • Did you sin?
  • Did God provide you a way out?
  • Did God's providing you a way out guarantee that you would never fall into temptation?
I believe you have since you believe obedience and sanctification are optional.

No one disagrees with these Passages. God does provide a way out, but that does not guarantee that we will take that way out. You have repeatedly said yourself, that the Corinthians were living fleshly, in sins, showing by their sinfulness that obedience was optional.

Obviously God provided a way out, but not all of them will be obedient to the faith. And, as the Scriptures keep warning, some will be tempted beyond recovery and will fall away.

In this sense, sanctification in practical living is temporarily "optional." Spiritual sanctification, though, is not. But, thankfully, this sanctification is a perfect work of God, utterly impossible for us to achieve on our own, that He performs upon us in and through Christ.

That is your belief, but not from God.

Sanctification is never optional.
Obedience is never optional.

That is a doctrine straight from the pit of hell.

God ransoms those who believe demonstrated by living holy, sanctified lives before him. There is no middle ground, no option to live unholy lives in any way.

1 Peter 1:14-18 (NIV)
14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors

God did not ransom the Christian to live optionally sanctified lives before Him.

James 1:12-16 (WEB)
12 Blessed is a person who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord promised to those who love him.
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God,” for God can’t be tempted by evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own lust and enticed. 15 Then the lust, when it has conceived, bears sin. The sin, when it is full grown, produces death. 16 Don’t be deceived, my beloved brothers.

Hebrews 12:14-17 (WEB)
14 Follow after peace with all men, and the sanctification (holiness) without which no man will see the Lord,
15 looking carefully lest there be any man who falls short of the grace of God, lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and many be defiled by it, 16 lest there be any sexually immoral person, or profane person, like Esau, who sold his birthright for one meal. 17 For you know that even when he afterward desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for a change of mind though he sought it diligently with tears.

Romans 6:19-23 (NIV) Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Go ahead and keep believing that obedience to God is optional.

Go ahead and keep believing that sanctification unto God is optional.

But don't promote your false doctrines on a Christian Message board where people come to here to learn the Gospel of Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(2 Corinthians 5:17) All throughout the NT, salvation and the spiritual condition it engenders is spoken of as a fully-accomplished fact, not as something that is coming to pass only as the believer acts by faith to make it so.

Our walking in newness of life is not guaranteed, because that is up to each individual. However, our salvation is assured if we remain faithful to the end to walk in newness of life. The Gospel Faith is demonstrated by walking in newness of life by the Spirit (Romans 6:4-6; Romans 6:19-23; Romans 8:12-13; Galatians 6:7-9).

The reason this is true is because Scripture teaches that the Christian’ obligation is to continue in the faith (Colossians 1:21-23), demonstrated by living, walking, and sowing to the Spirit to reap eternal life (Romans 8:1-4; Romans 8:12-13; Galatians 5:24-25; Galatians 6:7-9). In this way, by your continued faithfulness to live, walk, and sow to the Spirit, the Spirit will lead you to eternal life (Romans 8:12-14; Romans 6:19-23; Galatians 6:7-9).

We live, walk, and sow to the Spirit as we deny the old master of sin, and continually follow Lord Jesus into a life of holiness onto righteousness and love by the same faith by which God saved us (Romans 6:19-23; Colossians 3:1-17) – this is the new life, the new creation in Christ.

As we live out our faith in this manner, the Spirit leads us and empowers us to keep our faith commitment to our Lord. This is the new life of the faith by which the indwelling Spirit leads us.

2 Corinthians 5:15-17 (WEB) Italics and bolding mine
15 He died for all, that those who live should no longer live to themselves, but to him who for their sakes died and rose again. . . 17 Therefore (for this reason) if anyone is in Christ (by faith), he is a new creation. The old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new.

So, those who have denied themselves, and now live to HIM - to follow Lord Jesus - they become a new creation (verse 17 "Therefore")

We are “in Christ” by faith.

The Gospel Faith by which God saves us is revealed in 2 Corinthians 5:15

“15 He died for all, that those who live should no longer live to themselves, but to him who for their sakes died and rose again

This is the same teaching we see in Romans 6, Ephesians 3:17-32; Colossians 3:1-17; Galatians 5:13-25; Galatians 6:7-9; James 1:12-16, and so many more Scriptures throughout the New Testament, many of which were quoted or referenced for you.

The Scriptures keep showing us the Gospel Faith by which we are now “in Christ.” By being in Christ, we are a new creation – indwelt by the Spirit though a Gospel faith into a new reason for living, and a new hope - a sanctified, holy life of righteousness before God.

See also: Galatians 5:13-25

Galatians 5:13-25fully explains this Gospel Faith, and the Spirit’s work in those who have a Gospel Faith. The explanation is that, as we deny the old master of sin, and then follow Jesus into a life of righteousness and love, then we are living and walking by His Spirit who indwells those who believe. This is the Gospel faith that is demonstrated by deeds of love and goodness to all. When we walk in faith like this, the Spirit leads our faith commitment to victory.

Galatians 5:13-25 (WEB)
13 For you, brothers, were called for freedom. Only don’t use your freedom for gain to the flesh, but through love be servants to one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” [Leviticus 19:18 15] But if you bite and devour one another, be careful that you don’t consume one another.
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you won’t fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, that you may not do the things that you desire. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19 Now the deeds of the flesh are obvious, which are: adultery, sexual immorality, uncleanness, lustfulness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, strife, jealousies, outbursts of anger, rivalries, divisions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let’s also walk by the Spirit.

Therefore,
  • Living a Sanctified Life onto God is salvation, and so is NOT Optional.
  • Living an Obedient Life onto God is salvation, and so is NOT Optional.
A sanctified and holy life onto God is the New Creation - the Spirit leading as we are careful to live and walk in the Spirit by faith. Not everyone will continue in the faith. There is not one Scripture that teaches us that God guarantees anyone's faith to the end. Rather, God continually warns us against disobedience, and admonishes us to remain faithful to the end to be saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God does NOT practice righteousness for BACs.
BACs must do the practicing of righteousness for themselves.

From the verses above, do we agree?
God only invites into heaven …
those who have a standing of righteousness before Him,
those whom He considers righteous.

Yet he calls whom He wills, and when.
There are no judgments made until Judgment day and we are not
on the side of the throne on that day. We are on the to-be-judged side.
While we are breathing, there are no judgments to be made.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yet he calls whom He wills, and when.
There are no judgments made until Judgment day and we are not
on the side of the throne on that day. We are on the to-be-judged side.
While we are breathing, there are no judgments to be made.

Who does God call?

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
[QUOTE="setst777, post: 75916391, member: 412549"]That is your believe, because that is what you were taught. But the Scriptures state that we access God's grace and power to be saved through faith.

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. 17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.[/QUOTE]

Its the Truth, and I was taught it, by God !

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
[QUOTE="setst777, post: 75916391, member: 412549"]That is your believe, because that is what you were taught. But the Scriptures state that we access God's grace and power to be saved through faith.

Its the Truth, and I was taught it, by God ![/QUOTE]

So you say, but I provided God's word which disagrees with your account that you were taught it by God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who does God call?
He calls whom He wills. I mentioned that already. There is no other standard. I just checked every instance of God calling people and there are no prerequisites.

…17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display My power in you, and that My name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18Therefore God has mercy on whom He wants to have mercy, and He hardens whom He wants to harden.

We are not even involved in the decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Its the Truth, and I was taught it, by God !

So you say, but I provided God's word which disagrees with your account that you were taught it by God.[/QUOTE]
Then you disagree with God. Im witnessing to you Gods Truth, not mine !

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you say, but I provided God's word which disagrees with your account that you were taught it by God.
Then you disagree with God. Im witnessing to you Gods Truth, not mine ![/QUOTE]

I only accept the Bible as God's Truth.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He calls whom He wills. I mentioned that already. There is no other standard. I just checked every instance of God calling people and there are no prerequisites.

…17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display My power in you, and that My name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18Therefore God has mercy on whom He wants to have mercy, and He hardens whom He wants to harden.

We are not involved in the decision.

Luke 5:32 (Lord Jesus speaking)
I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Who does God call and who does God not call according to Lord Jesus?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No one on this board denies that we receive from the Holy Spirit all we need to endure. However, to receive from the Spirit all that you need to endure, you are obligated to continue in the faith to live, walk, and sow to the Spirit who dwells in those who believe.

If you receive from the Spirit all you need to endure, then you are saying, essentially, what I am: The Spirit enables the believer to endure; such endurance is not initiated nor sustained by the believer. Obligation doesn't come into it, only love and the life of the Spirit to whom one submits throughout every day.

And what of God's faithfulness to us? As the story of God and the unbelieving, faithless Israelites at the border of the Promised Land shows very clearly, God remains faithful to His own even when they are faithless. The Israelites lost out on the blessing of God by shrinking back from Canaan, but they never lost their relationship to Him.

These are the ones the Spirit leads, because many will resist, quench, insult, and grieve the Holy Spirit:

Romans 8:12-14 (NIV)
Writing to the Church in Rome
12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation — but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it.
13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but
if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. 14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB)
Writing to the Church in Galatia
7 Don’t be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption. But he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9 Let us not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if we don’t give up.

If it is the Spirit who causes a person to endure, who imparts to them all they need to be who God wants them to be (Philippians 2:13; Ephesians 3:16; Romans 8:13, etc.), what is to be said about those in whom the life of the Spirit is not evident? Obviously, that the Spirit is not in them - and never has been.

1 John 2:19
19 They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, so that it would be shown that they all are not of us.

Matthew 7:17-20
17 "So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit.
18 "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.
19 "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
20 "So then, you will know them by their fruits.

You want to say that a person may be saved and then lose their spiritual birth and adoption into God's family by dint of their own failure to endure but I think John and Jesus have got it right: A life in which the Spirit bears no fruit at all is a life that has not yet been saved. You will know a tree by its fruit. If a person is acting to resist, grieve and quench the Spirit, living without pang of conscience, or inclination toward righteousness, whatever that person might have claimed about being saved, the truth revealed by their life is that Jesus has never known them as his own.

This is what the two passages you cite above indicate. Who is he who lives according to the flesh? As John and Jesus have pointed out, the lost (not the saved-and-lost) person does. Who is he who sows to the flesh? As John and Jesus have pointed out, the lost (not the saved-and-lost) person does.

Yes, we already know you believe that once you believed that you are guaranteed salvation. Apparently you believe that means, that your faith is guaranteed to continue as well.

I shall respond to you here after your own manner:

Romans 12:3
3 For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

2 Timothy 2:25
25 with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,

Acts 14:27
27 When they had arrived and gathered the church together, they began to report all things that God had done with them and how He had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles.

Galatians 5:22
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

1 Timothy 1:14
14 and the grace of our Lord was more than abundant, with the faith and love which are found in Christ Jesus.

2 Timothy 1:13

13 Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 12:2
2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

My faith is not anchored in my own vacillating, human faith, but in the Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit, whose faith is infinite and eternally unfailing. Filled with his faith, I endure in the faith, rooted and built up and established in it by his power and work in me.

Despite what you believe, that is not what the Scriptures teach us. Rather, the Scriptures keep warning and admonishing us to continue in the faith, to endure in the faith to the end, to be eternally saved.

As I've shown now a number of times now, the Scripture you think teaches a works-salvation, saved-and-lost doctrine doesn't do any such thing. You haven't done anything concrete to show my understanding of the passages I've focused on in error. Mainly, you just repeat yourself and do the wall-o'-text thing, as though cutting and pasting reams of verses somehow proves your point which it doesn't.

The Scriptures give us no guarantee that you will continue in the faith, but salvation is guaranteed to those who do continue to believe onto the end.

See? Just repeating yourself, as though doing so somehow can make up for an actual careful, in-context parsing of Scripture.

Upvote 0