Have you ever insulted or offended anyone? Is there anyone who does not like you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't have the temperament for it and I know it. If I faced the obstructionism that the current POTUS has faced with Congress, I'd have words to say to them...most of them would be quite profane. I have absolutely no filter between my brain and mouth...typing saves me because I can delete my first thought. I have no patience with pandering, baloney, and making it up...you don't want me to run for president...trust me...
FWIW though, that is EXACTLY what Trump thinks he is doing (or at least what his supporters think he is doing).

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
[Staff edit]

Self awareness is not a strong suit of Trumps. If you can go through an entire life without thinking you would ever need to apologize, you simply cannot have any sense of empathy or self awareness.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
To be quite honest, in view of the hatred by the Jews of all things Roman, in view of the brutality of Pontius Pilate, I cannot imagine any Jewish mob calling for the death of one of their own.

Pilate may have been brutal, but he was competent, he wasn't corrupt, and he at least attempted to work with the Jewish government, such as it was. After he was recalled to Rome, you couldn't say the same about any of his five replacements up until the Great Revolt -- each of whom was worse than the one before. The moral of the story? Better the devil you know...

The Jews may have hated Rome (for good reason) but they also feared Rome (also for good reason). The Jews of AD 30 would've jumped at any chance to keep Rome from coming down on them like the proverbial ton of bricks.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To be quite honest, in view of the hatred by the Jews of all things Roman, in view of the brutality of Pontius Pilate, I cannot imagine any Jewish mob calling for the death of one of their own.

I thought they chose Barrabas , Pilot washed his hands and Herod didn't want to deal with it ..

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Jews of AD 30 would've jumped at any chance to keep Rome from coming down on them like the proverbial ton of bricks.

That certainly seems to be true of the High Priesthood and the Herodians as the Bible suggests. However, history indicates that the average person felt quite differently.

The most important fact of life in Judea and Galilee at the time of Jesus was the fact that they were Roman provinces under occupation by detachments of the Roman army. This was not a relatively benign occupation such as occurred in West Germany following World War II. It was much more like the Soviet occupation of Eastern Europe... a brutal military repression. At the same time, the Roman authorities exacted an outrageous level of taxation through the notorious system of "tax farming". In this system the rights to collect taxes were sold to the highest bidders. These "publicans" then proceeded to enrich themselves by setting exorbitant tax rates and by brutally enforcing their collection. People were known to be driven to suicide or even to selling their children into slavery as a result of the demands of the publicans.

Combine this oppression with the two thousand year struggle of the Jewish people for independence and freedom and you have an extremely volatile political climate. It was so volatile in fact that in the time period from one hundred years before Jesus, to one hundred years after him, the Jews rose in revolt an amazing sixty-two times. Interestingly enough all but one of these revolts originated in Galilee. Is it any wonder that the Roman authorities viewed any gathering of Galileans or any Galilean leader with great suspicion? Although quite a few of these revolts were small and localized, two of them evolved into full scale wars. The end result of all of this was the complete destruction of the Jewish nation and the great "Diaspora" of the Jewish people.

I think it most unlikely that the average Jew would demand that one of their own be crucified. They likely mourned his death in a resigned way as just another failed messiah.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If so, then perhaps you don't have the right "temperament" to run for president.

This is the ridiculous and hypocritical argument that the Democratic party has been using against Donald Trump.
If sounding like an idiot is what prevents people from being president, I don't know how anyone has been elected within the past 40 years.

• Haha
Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That certainly seems to be true of the High Priesthood and the Herodians as the Bible suggests. However, history indicates that the average person felt quite differently.

True, but we're not talking about some anonymous internet poll or man-on-the-street interview... we're talking about staring up at the Roman prelate himself, most likely accompanied by his personal guard, who would be more than happy to nail you to the nearest cross if you step out of line...

Everyone vocally hated the Romans... except when they were around. Remember, the Great Revolt started (and was thoroughly stomped out) thirty years after Pilate was recalled to Rome... when the Jews found out exactly how much worse off it could get.

The most important fact of life in Judea and Galilee at the time of Jesus was the fact that they were Roman provinces under occupation by detachments of the Roman army. This was not a relatively benign occupation such as occurred in West Germany following World War II. It was much more like the Soviet occupation of Eastern Europe... a brutal military repression.

Ok, stop for a moment -- you cannot compare the ancient practices to the modern ones, simply because the people at the time had no basis for comparison.... the fact was that the Roman occupation was relatively benign... by Roman standards. So long as the tax money kept coming in and the local government maintained order, there was little to worry about... and plenty to worry about if either of those were disrupted.

At the same time, the Roman authorities exacted an outrageous level of taxation through the notorious system of "tax farming". In this system the rights to collect taxes were sold to the highest bidders. These "publicans" then proceeded to enrich themselves by setting exorbitant tax rates and by brutally enforcing their collection. People were known to be driven to suicide or even to selling their children into slavery as a result of the demands of the publicans.

Right -- and suicide was the least of their worries if they caused trouble. The Jews had already learned that hard lesson at Sepphoris, when Judas the Galilean led his ill-conceived revolt in 4 BC. Did he "raid" their armory for weapons and supplies, or did the people of Sepphoris simply look the other way? The Romans didn't know, didn't care, didn't bother to investigate. They crucified 3,000 men, sold the women and children into slavery, and burned the city to the ground.

And as you point out, this was just one of many revolts that the Romans crushed utterly.

Combine this oppression with the two thousand year struggle of the Jewish people for independence and freedom and you have an extremely volatile political climate. It was so volatile in fact that in the time period from one hundred years before Jesus, to one hundred years after him, the Jews rose in revolt an amazing sixty-two times. Interestingly enough all but one of these revolts originated in Galilee. Is it any wonder that the Roman authorities viewed any gathering of Galileans or any Galilean leader with great suspicion? Although quite a few of these revolts were small and localized, two of them evolved into full scale wars. The end result of all of this was the complete destruction of the Jewish nation and the great "Diaspora" of the Jewish people.

Precisely -- Remember where this is happening... the crowd couldn't have cared what happened in Galilee, but Jesus was
stirring the pot in Jerusalem, the center of the government, their religion -- the throne room of God Himself. Remember, Jesus' most visible criminal act was causing a ruckus at the Temple itself, right under the noses of the government... if Rome couldn't trust the Jews to keep their own temple in order, well... it was a legitimate concern.

I think it most unlikely that the average Jew would demand that one of their own be crucified. They likely mourned his death in a resigned way as just another failed messiah.

Unlikely? Of course. But the crowd knew how the Romans dealt with would-be rabblerousers and revolutionaries out in the boonies of Galilee... none of them wanted to see that sort of treatment in Jerusalem. As long as you've got Pilate's ear, you'd want to tell him in no uncertain terms, "hey, this guy does not speak for us!"

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Don't you think it's petty, dishonest, and hypocritical the way the Democratic party points to some people who don't like Trump and then jumps to the conclusion from that that he doesn't have the right "temperament"?

No, but I think it's hillarious that this is what you think is the issue.

My problem with Trump's temperament isn't what other people are saying about Trump, it's what Trump actually says--and on a regular, consistent basis.

That's not hypocrisy. You may want to learn what hypocrisy is.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ambassadorOT_zpsb490d551.jpg
AmbassadorFlame_zpsb1ea6e68.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What-a-Winner , What-a-Candidate , What-a-Man ..

Two of those are accurate, but only technically. Trump is, in fact, a candidate, and he is, in fact, a Y-chromosome-bearing member of the human species.

Though based on the values I was raised with, that men are supposed to be compassionate, kind, respectful, and honorable, Trump fails on all counts.

Trump is a man--technically.

What Trump most definitely isn't, is a winner.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,665.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Trump's "temperament" is fine. Vague accusations that can't be refuted because they are based upon individual opinions, such as Trump is ill fit because of his temperament is a not valid discussion. That's what you say when you have nothing. Trump entering this has been a highlight to American politics this go around. [Staff edit]
Oh we have a lot more than that, temperament was just brought up in this thread. There is his misogyny, racism, xenophobia, bullying of landowners, acts of bribery, and charitable fraud to start.

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.