Have you changed your major/career path?

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wanted to be an elementary teacher, but because I'm struggling so much in school and dealing with so much mental illness, I've decided to change my career path. I've decided to go with either a medical assistant (the person who checks your vital signs and jots things down at a doctor's visit) or a pharmacy tech (the person who gives you your prescriptions). These are also good choices in case of an apocalypse. :p

Have you changed your major or career path? If so, what did you change?

Earatha

Feb 26, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
✟34,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
When I first went to college I was a major in classics. I left college and took a break and when I went back I had completely changed gears. I'm now graduating in May with a degree in civil engineering.

If you do change I would say do it because the new course makes you happier. Don't do it for job prospects or money. Money isn't consequential. You have to do this for 50 years, so be happy with it.

Upvote 0

puregrl

Jun 7, 2005
North Carolina
✟15,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It took forever for me to figure out what I wanted to do. I started out in dental assisting, figured out that wasn't for me after graduating. Then i did radiography because I enjoyed taking x-rays...couldn't find a job. Decided to do nursing, loved it, went to school for a few years for it, moved and couldn't get back in. After a while I finally discovered I was meant to do marriage and family therapy and will be entering graduate school this fall for it.
If you change your mind, it is ok, quite normal for college students to do.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

brianbe

Dec 20, 2015
earth
✟1,671.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to be an elementary teacher, but because I'm struggling so much in school and dealing with so much mental illness, I've decided to change my career path. I've decided to go with either a medical assistant (the person who checks your vital signs and jots things down at a doctor's visit) or a pharmacy tech (the person who gives you your prescriptions). These are also good choices in case of an apocalypse. :p

I changed it many times.

Upvote 0

RPN

Ryan
Dec 12, 2016
Houston, TX
✟10,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In my 1st semester in college, I tried to be a Chemical Engineer but getting a B in Fundamental Chemistry class helped me understand that Engineering isn't for me so I decided to be a Finance major instead. It's working out pretty well for me. I hope you'll find the right major soon if you haven't found it already.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm currently only part-time college, but I've changed my mind about my future career many times. I've jumped from kindergarten teacher to zookeeper to biologist to psychologist, which is where I'm currently at, but it may still be subject to change. I just keep praying that God will help me figure it out. His will be done, not mine.

Upvote 0

OwainK

May 9, 2017
North Wales
✟38,815.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Yes, used to do engineering many years ago, changed now to business and it's going MUCH better :)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, used to do engineering many years ago, changed now to business and it's going MUCH better
Yeah.

Back in the day I was in the first year of my particular degree program (Engineering Arts) from Michigan State. It was broad based and included some business classes, including the first semester of Accounting. What the engineering school people did not seem to realize was that class was used to weed out those not competent to be accountants; and they only let a certain number pass the class. That year almost everyone that passed the class was an engineer, NOT in the Accounting program.

The next year they offered another section of the exact same class but labeled it "Accounting for non Accounting majors."

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I think it's quite normal to do so. I started University with the intention of becoming a police officer, realized I didn't want to do that. After that, I started taking more psychology courses (which really interested me), so I changed from criminology to psychology with the intentions of becoming a clinical psychologist. I just graduated from my B.A., and I am starting my Masters degree for experimental psychology in the fall in order to become a professor (not clinical). I think one of the great things university has done for me is allowed me to try many subjects and eventually find what I really wanted to do. It can be discouraging when you change what you've wanted to do (no matter the reason), but it all works out for the best in the end. On top of this I have become a licensed minister with my organization, so I've learned not to limit myself to one thing. Best of luck on your journey, God bless.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't changed my major or career path but I have changed Universities. I was accepted on full scholarship to one UNI but decided after a year--more like a half semester-- that I wanted to move closer to home. I was out of province and missed my family. It was a hard decision because my fiance is still in that province. My sister and I share a quaint little apartment close to campus.
I was able to seamlessly switch schools and still have an excellent scholarship, albeit, not a full one but it's all good. I think I've matured quite a bit with making all these decisions. I feel more confident in my decisions. The best part is my fiance is home from NB for the summer.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Heartofsilver

Bride of Christ 4/8/17 Isaiah 54:5
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
California
✟139,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I fulfilled my major requirements for photography and started doing criminal justice to become a crime photographer. God ended up calling me into a whole nother direction of Youth ministry during the time I was trying to decide what university I wanted to go to. He has been opening the doors ever since I said "Yes". Thank You Jesus for Calling and Leading me Your Way! :yellowheart::raisedhands::grinning::heartpulse::sparklingheart::twohearts::handsopen:

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I fulfilled my major requirements for photography and started doing criminal justice to become a crime photographer. God ended up calling me into a whole nother direction of Youth ministry during the time I was trying to decide what university I wanted to go to. He has been opening the doors ever since I said "Yes". Thank You Jesus for Calling and Leading me Your Way! :yellowheart::raisedhands::grinning::heartpulse::sparklingheart::twohearts::handsopen:

Congrats. I hadn't thought about crime photography being a career, but it makes sense that it would be one. Sounds like a good plan you've got set for yourself.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have always wanted to do something in Music since I was 12 years old and I really feel like I have been led by the Lord to pursue that. He has gotten me to a wonderful Christian College to be taught by teachers who are believers. I haven't changed my major, but I do know it happens frequently and don't see nothing wrong with it. I think the person should be happy with what they want to do with their career.

Upvote 0