• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is this normal?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I wss unsure where to post this because I have schizoaffective disorder and am both Bipolar and Schizophrenic but since my main diagnosis and symptoms is Schizophrenia I decided to post here.

I've confessed to this before and things just havent changed. For those who don't know me from a needle in a haystack ill explain just what the issue is and everything thats happened so far. Generally I am manic a majority of the year for several months at a time I mostly never shared this with a doctor because I thought it was "normal" for people with mental Illnesses to get manic and engage in risky behavior which in my instance happens to be spending my wifes money foolishly and on things that don't matter. In fact, right now my wife and I have almost 8k in credit card debt and my wife and I only make about 25k give or take a year.

In fact ChatGPT calls my mental illness untreated despite me being on medication (Latuda) that for the most part keeps me out of the Psych ward and seems to treat every other part of my mental illness for the most part like the voices, the delusions, the hearing things that aren't really there, just mostly my psychotic symptoms. I haven't had any of this happen in years and my Latuda does a great job at fixing all of this. Latuda is supposed to work for both Psychosis AND mania and one of my psychiatrists said that i should be on one medication for insurance purposes. So that's why I switched from Saphris (which also did a great job at my psychotic symptoms) to Latuda.

I am just mostly risky and manic a majority of the year for several months on end. When I was in the ICU in new Hamphire a couple years ago the psychiatrists there didn't seem to think that my mental illness wasn't being treated. In fact one of the nurses there that was extremely kind to me because she has a son my age mentioned that she's had a lot of experience with mental health issues and seemed to think that my symptoms at the time were normal because I had suffered Blood clots, that were literally everywhere but my brain, the loss of my dog, and was taken several states away from my wife for several weeks because New Hampshire was the closest state that was equipped to handle my medical problems and had beds available at the time. Basically the trauma that I suffered that week was enough to make anybody crazy let alone a mentally ill person who without medication has periods of time where he doesn't even know who he is or what's going on.

i'm not really asking for medical advice which i know is forbidden, or for any advice on what meds to take or anything like thaf I will go to my psychiatrist with this information in a few weeks and see what he recommends and what he has to say but I am asking if a nurse, doctor, or somebody that either has a mental illness or has experience helping somebody with one like mine perhaps a spouse or family member has any helpful information on this subject and perhaps can either explain what's going on or can provide some comfort and advice.

My mother who was a fantastic nurse for over 40 years has had some experience in this area but didn't work in a Psych ward and mostly dealt with old people and babies and she dealt with medical problems and medications and didn't really have very many patients who had mental issues like i do. She could recognize during my first psychotic episode that something was wrong with me but she needed a psychiatrist to diagnose what was actually wrong. So my mother can't really provide the support and guidance that I need hence, why I made this topic.

MegChristian

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2024
USA
✟16,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I think you should not try to turn to ChatGTP for help. The AI is only as good as the people whp program it, and I do not think it is as good as they like to claim it is. Stay in prayer to Jesus Christ. He understands more about you and your situation than some stranger programming AI ever could or will.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I think you should not try to turn to ChatGTP for help. The AI is only as good as the people whp program it, and I do not think it is as good as they like to claim it is. Stay in prayer to Jesus Christ. He understands more about you and your situation than some stranger programming AI ever could or will.

I agree. In fact, the main psychiatrist in NH asked me before my discharge if my feeling excited to go home was due to mania and not just from going home and i said "to be completely honest with you, i have no idea." Because I was manic my whole stay there and to be completely honest semi suicidal from being away from my wife for so long. She hadn't started working at Walmart at the time and we were used to being together 24/7 so naturally anybody In similar situation to mine would feel the same way and like I said we lost our dog the day before I was admitted to the hospital.

Had we not been able to communicate with each other through Facebook and often times through video because my wife remembered to bring my tablet my stay would have been much longer and more difficult to deal with.

She (the main psychiatrist there) didn't seem to think that my symptoms were untreated. I'm fact, she acted like they were totally normal and more than likely asked the question to see if I was telling her the truth or not and trying to discern if my symptoms were in fact, normal and i was safe to go back home. When I was manic and partially suicidal my whole stay there they (the psychiatrists) tried switching some of my meds around and they only made me worse so maybe my psychiatrist is going to leave my meds the same. Dunno I'd have to ask him what he recommends but I was mostly just wondering if other people in my situation still regularly experienced mania even after being medicated because meds can't fix everything and there's no cure for either Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder. What we know about the two conditions is very little and just that people are born that way and develop symptoms as they age mainlyn during adulthood. That was the case with me. There were signs that I was schizophrenic when I was a child but I never shared those symptoms with my mother because I thought they were normal and had no other reason to believe otherwise. It wasn't until I was an adult (however old I was in 2011) that it started becoming blatantly obvious that something was wrong with me.

Reactions: MegChristian
Upvote 0

MegChristian

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2024
USA
✟16,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can tell you don't have it easy Neostarwcc... I added you to my prayers and will continue to pray. It is so easy to say trust in the Lord (I know you do) and I know that sometimes that trust comes hard. Hang in there...

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Still praying for you too, Neostar. I can't explain everything that is going on with you - I can only offer you the encouragement to continue to believe that your suffering is not meaningless. God knows what He is doing!

Romans 5:1-5 NIV

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

• Love
Reactions: MegChristian
Upvote 0