Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was thinking about something in my life that I would do differently if I could go back in time. I mean, there are a few things really but one in particular. I don't necessarily consider it a "regret" because I made some good friends doing it and it still got me to where I am today. But if I could redo anything I think I would choose not to go to college.

I went later in life. I was born in 87 so most of my friends and peers graduated between 2009-11. Because of the path my life took I started community college after high school in 2005 but spun my wheels pursuing the wrong career for almost 10 years. In 2014 the opportunity came to go back to school after taking some time off and a lot of things clicked when I realized what I wanted to pursue (media). I finished my general ed courses and transferred to a four year where I got my BA in Communication Design. Now it was a fun time, but I had to go into debt to do it. $30,000 to be exact. It'd probably be less but I foolishly borrowed $10K privately so I could rent an apartment close to campus and live on my own, rather than staying with my folks (which being 28 and freshly divorced felt weird at the time, that's how I justified it) and just buying a $120 parking permit.

So long story short, I had 5 years of broadcast experience before going back to school, and when I graduated I dove right back into the same scene, starting at the bottom of the totem pole again. Within a year I worked my way up to video editor of our morning show, and two years after that I was hired at a global network as a video editor for the evening news show.

Three months after I started there I was having a friendly conversation with my supervisor when he let me in on a secret: they didn't hire me because of my education or degree, they hired me because of my professional experience. They were impressed that I edited all the video for the morning show all by myself. So I reflected on that for a while and realized I could've gone a much quicker and cheaper route. I could've simply pursued a certification, or at most an AA, from community college for about $1-2K that I could've paid out of pocket, I would've been able to get the same job at the station I worked at after graduating, and likely would've achieved the same promotions and obtained the job I have now.

Now I'm still dealing with $30K in debt for a degree that honestly doesn't have much value to me when my industry prefers experience. I also had to shovel a lot of crap taking extra "required" classes for stupid subjects that weren't related to my major.

That's what I'd change. Do you guys feel the same way about anything in your life? Not necessarily "regret" but just something you'd do differently if you had a chance to "edit" that season of your life?

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't have any college debt, but If I could go back and do things differently. Would of made more friends in my high school years. I was foolish back then and would get into a lot of trouble. Embarrassed myself with my behavior and had a bad reputation. Somehow thankfully to God I never got into drugs or alcohol.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't have any college debt, but If I could go back and do things differently. Would of made more friends in my high school years. I was foolish back then and would get into a lot of trouble. Embarrassed myself with my behavior and had a bad reputation. Somehow thankfully to God I never got into drugs or alcohol.
Glad to hear you stayed away from substances, there's a lot of peer pressure especially in high school. It's pretty easy to fall in with the wrong crowd and then one thing leads to another and before you know it you're being pressured into trying something you don't want.

I had several groups of friends in high school, my core group of Christian friends that I'd known my whole life, but I branched out and made other friends too. One of those groups was a bunch of skater guys and they were pretty heavy into drugs: weed, cocaine, probably some other party drugs like Molly or something. If I didn't have that core group that held me accountable I could easily see how I would've been sucked into experimenting with drugs.

19 years later and I almost never see those guys anymore, even those guys I was closest with since we're all spread around the country/globe. And all those friends from high school I haven't talked to in at least 15 years.

I guess all that's to say, don't feel too bad about not making more friends in high school. Most high school friends don't stay together after maybe college. I don't know how old you are but I found in my late 20s and 30s it actually got easier to make friends because all of the silly "dividing lines" and social barriers that people put up in school don't exist anymore.

• Friendly
Reactions: elytron
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking about something in my life that I would do differently if I could go back in time. I mean, there are a few things really but one in particular. I don't necessarily consider it a "regret" because I made some good friends doing it and it still got me to where I am today. But if I could redo anything I think I would choose not to go to college.

I went later in life. I was born in 87 so most of my friends and peers graduated between 2009-11. Because of the path my life took I started community college after high school in 2005 but spun my wheels pursuing the wrong career for almost 10 years. In 2014 the opportunity came to go back to school after taking some time off and a lot of things clicked when I realized what I wanted to pursue (media). I finished my general ed courses and transferred to a four year where I got my BA in Communication Design. Now it was a fun time, but I had to go into debt to do it. $30,000 to be exact. It'd probably be less but I foolishly borrowed $10K privately so I could rent an apartment close to campus and live on my own, rather than staying with my folks (which being 28 and freshly divorced felt weird at the time, that's how I justified it) and just buying a $120 parking permit.

So long story short, I had 5 years of broadcast experience before going back to school, and when I graduated I dove right back into the same scene, starting at the bottom of the totem pole again. Within a year I worked my way up to video editor of our morning show, and two years after that I was hired at a global network as a video editor for the evening news show.

Three months after I started there I was having a friendly conversation with my supervisor when he let me in on a secret: they didn't hire me because of my education or degree, they hired me because of my professional experience. They were impressed that I edited all the video for the morning show all by myself. So I reflected on that for a while and realized I could've gone a much quicker and cheaper route. I could've simply pursued a certification, or at most an AA, from community college for about $1-2K that I could've paid out of pocket, I would've been able to get the same job at the station I worked at after graduating, and likely would've achieved the same promotions and obtained the job I have now.

Now I'm still dealing with $30K in debt for a degree that honestly doesn't have much value to me when my industry prefers experience. I also had to shovel a lot of crap taking extra "required" classes for stupid subjects that weren't related to my major.

That's what I'd change. Do you guys feel the same way about anything in your life? Not necessarily "regret" but just something you'd do differently if you had a chance to "edit" that season of your life?
I think most of us have regrets about different things ... I was fortunate to have parents that didn't believe in going into debt ... other than for a home they could afford. Some lessons in life are tuff to learn. My son just paid of his student debt of about $20,000 a few months ago .... lesson learned. ;o). I just don't dwell on the past ... I use my mistakes as a reminder not to repeat them.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟66,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Multiple times over the years, I have thought about how I would like to go back in time and stop myself from dating a particular guy. We were first friends, then we got romantically involved with each other. This happened 2009-2010.

I had concluded later in life that he used me. When I look back, there were signs, but I didn't think he would treat me that way. He was my best friend after all. He ended up finding another woman and started dating her, leaving me behind. It was an ugly break up.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,469.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
My biggest regret is also related to schooling. I spent parts of eight years on a four-year degree because I changed my program six times, and I still believe after all that I got it wrong.

Upvote 0

Faith over Fear

If I had but one breath, I’d use it to praise HIM!
Dec 30, 2023
USA
✟22,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have alot of things I wish I could go back and do differently. I wish my parents would have taken educating their child a little more seriously. I wish I would never have consumed alcohol or popped doped. I wish I would have never sang and played such devil worshiping trash!! I wish I would never have self-harmed or attempted suicide.

Yeah, I sure wish I could go back and do some things differently. One thing I wouldn’t dare change. The choice I made when I accepted Christ as my personal lord and savior 8 months ago!!! Yes I still have struggles but alcohol and dope is no longer one of them!!!!!! I’m sure I’ll have many more regrets in life but I think I’ve got the worst of them behind me in the 19 years I’ve been here.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Many things. Not quit jobs because I was bored and not buy so many cars. I've lost way too much money.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Many things. Not quit jobs because I was bored and not buy so many cars. I've lost way too much money.
Boy I hear that. I feel like we're the same person lol

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟66,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My biggest regret is also related to schooling. I spent parts of eight years on a four-year degree because I changed my program six times, and I still believe after all that I got it wrong.

I went to college for 5 years. I changed my major twice. I was close to finishing my degree and thought maybe I should've chosen another path. But I didn't want to change because I wanted to get out of school so bad. That decision did not benefit me.

I lacked counseling from adults and wisdom from God in that time frame concerning my schooling and career choices. The Millennials were told by the adults to "go to college or you're a loser". We weren't informed of what all was available.

It's also another thing I would've changed, considering what I know now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums