Has Donald Trump never 'promoted or encouraged violence,' as Sarah Huckabee Sanders said?

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has Donald Trump never 'promoted or encouraged violence'?
Huckabee Sanders said, "The president in no way, form or fashion has ever promoted or encouraged violence."

We found one example -- when Trump said, "If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you?" -- that clearly fits the criteria of promoting or encouraging violence.

This was not an isolated incident; we found at least seven other examples in which Trump offered public musings that showed a tolerance for, and sometimes even a favorable disposition toward, physical violence.

Trump’s words may not meet a legal threshold for incitement to violence, but Huckabee Sanders’ portrayal seriously distorts the record of Trump’s past statements. We rate her statement False.
tulc(MAGA by lying about things easily proven to be true?) :scratch:

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Trump encourages violence? Is that why a leftist gunman, no doubt inspired by all the anti-Republican nonsense coming from the liberal media, opened fire at a GOP baseball practice and tried to kill as many conservatives as possible? LOL, get real.
...uhmmm...if you want to talk about that you should start a thread where that can be discussed this particular thread is about President Trump and how accurate it was when press sec. Sanders said he had never "promoted or encouraged violence". :wave:
tulc(wonders if there's anything in the OP Angel Wings 1288 would care to address?)

Upvote 0

Angel Wings 1288

Feb 3, 2017
TX
✟29,884.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
...uhmmm...if you want to talk about that you should start a thread where that can be discussed this particular thread is about President Trump and how accurate it was when press sec. Sanders said he had never "promoted or encouraged violence". :wave:
tulc(wonders if there's anything in the OP Angel Wings 1288 would care to address?)

I did respond to the content in the original post. You claimed that Trump promotes or encourages violence, but I demonstrated that it is, in fact, the left that is violent against conservatives. The fact that you're calling for a separate thread to be made is your way of dodging uncomfortable truths in my post.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did respond to the content in the original post.
I can see you're a little unclear on how these threads work let me help: the OP (the first post in a thread) sets up what the thread is about. In this case it was that the Presidents press spokesman said: "President Trump has never encouraged or incited violence." so that's what this thread is about. If you instead want to discuss violence you feel is incited by the left that wouldn't actually be part of the OP. See the difference? :wave:

You claimed that Trump promotes or encourages violence,
No, the article I posted showed several times where he did indeed call for or encourage violence it's not a claim it was a fact. :)

but I demonstrated that it is, in fact, the left that is violent against conservatives.
Which isn't what this thread is about. Look at it like this: say you post a thread where you say "All Democrats are country and western fans!" If I respond with evidence that shows while some Democrats like country and western fans others aren't, that's me addressing the OP. If however I posted "Well all Republicans love Justin Beiber!" That wouldn't be what this thread is about. I posted something in the OP and you never addressed it by disputing it you simply engaged in what I like to call a "SO'S YER MOM!" form of argument. That doesn't actually address the OP it simply pushes a counter claim. :wave:

The fact that you're calling for a separate thread to be made is your way of dodging uncomfortable truths in my post.
Nope, see above. I'm simply trying to not reduce every thread in these foras to the equivalency of sixth graders arguing on the playground. :sorry:
tulc(wonders if Angel Wings 1288 would like to actually address what's in the OP instead?) :scratch:

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Depends on how you define "promoted" and "encouraged" I guess. I cannot recall, nor does anyone I would imagine recall , every thing Donald Trump has done or said from his birth so the use of the term "never" is a bit unwise on her part. I can say that from my perspective, Trump has not seriously tried to have get people to engage in violence during the course of the campaign or the short time he has been President. If one wants to find a way to spin some thoughtless thing he said into encouraging or promoting violence one can engage in such activity but I see nothing in that that helps to lead one to truth. Rather than conclude that Trump wishes to incite violence and then try to find a way to prove that, I prefer to assume he says things in much the same way as myself i.e. no more likely to be encouraging or promoting violence by his words than I would as an avowed pacifist. If he would say something that I would not say, for fear of inciting violence, then I might think he did indeed want to incite violence. Since he has not said anything like that , at least to my knowledge, , I cannot accuse him of trying to incite violence. If he were to say something like "I dream of blowing up the White House" , I would not consider that to be inciting violence. If he were to say however, " If you are with me, Go blow up the White House " , then I would conside rthat encouraging and promoting violence. When ISIS send out the message to decapitate as many as possible that is inciting violence. When Kathy Griffin silently holds a fake Trump decapitated head up one might wonder if that is what she wants and is promoting and encouraging. However, when one says "drop dead"or a more popular epithet that would not be allowed here one is not being literal and most people are aware when someone says something meant to be literal as opposed to being meant to be taken figuratively. It is a tactic I have noticed becoming very popular recently to take literally that which was clearly meant to be taken figuratively.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you should have worded your OP "has donald trump ever promoted"....or "donald trump has never "

not "has donald trump never"

bad grammar.
Ok, if I ever start writing for news websites I'll try and remember that. :wave:
tulc(is going to go do dishes!) ;)

Upvote 0