United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, Jan. 6 wasn't worse than 9/11, nor is democracy at risk: Here's why

Kamala Harris compares January 6 to Pearl Harbor and 9/11 in anniversary speech at the Capitol

Kamala Harris compares January 6 to Pearl Harbor and 9/11 and criticizes 'extremists' | Daily Mail Online

Harris speech likens January 6 to Pearl Harbor, 9/11 in US history

Posted a few different links from different portions of the political spectrum...

Seems that it was a poor choice of words on her part.

One can rightfully criticize the actions and motivations of the people who perpetrated the event of Jan 6th...but to lump it in the same category with Pearl Harbor and 9/11? eh...that's a stretch.

Seems like her "flair for the dramatic" rivals that of people on the other side who claim that having to show proof of vaccination to get in a nightclub is "equivalent" to Nazi Germany.

I don't think you score any points by stooping to the level of the absolute worst people on the other side.

Thoughts?

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Kamala Harris compares January 6 to Pearl Harbor and 9/11 in anniversary speech at the Capitol

Kamala Harris compares January 6 to Pearl Harbor and 9/11 and criticizes 'extremists' | Daily Mail Online

Posted a few different links from different portions of the political spectrum...

One can rightfully criticize the actions and motivations of the people who perpetrated the event of Jan 6th...but to lump it in the same category with Pearl Harbor and 9/11? eh...that's a stretch.

Seems like her "flair for the dramatic" rivals that of people on the other side who claim that having to show proof of vaccination to get in a nightclub is "equivalent" to Nazi Germany.

I don't think you score any points by stooping to the level of the absolute worst people on the other side.

Thoughts?
Its embarrassing and sad to see
this complete lack of quality in American leadership

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Thoughts?
I think the Jan,6 was more of a betrayal to our country. Since the Trump helped caused it. Luckily Trump supporter, that were involved aren't as strong as they claim.

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thoughts?

Fear is the motivation. Fear of the opposing side, fear of not being liked. The fear breeds hatred, she should choose life over fear. There is so much fear which leads to hatred in this country that I pray it can be saved. Both sides claim the other side is evil ignore that all are made n the image of God.

We must be willing to let our fear go and the hatred with it for each other, reject the tribalism that makes speeches like this possible. People are miserable because they have nothing real to cling to like the speaker, they all need God.Pray for her soul and all our souls before it is to late

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The fact that a two time impeached, outgoing President, preemptively and concurrently incites a mob at the capital building that results in the disruption of the peaceful transfer of power of the presidency of the U.S.A. is in itself far more harmful to our democracy than any foreign attempt to do so.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the Jan,6 was more of a betrayal to our country. Since the Trump helped caused it. Luckily Trump supporter, that were involved aren't as strong as they claim.
Nonsense! Anything like credible, verifiable, evidence the Trump "helped cause" Jan 6? I have never seen anything. I heard Trump say "March down Independence avenue and peacefully let your voices be heard." Wearing a red hat does not make one a lawless rioter.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The fact that a two time impeached, outgoing President, preemptively and concurrently incites a mob at the capital building that results in the disruption of the peaceful transfer of power of the presidency of the U.S.A. is in itself far more harmful to our democracy than any foreign attempt to do so.
Rubbish. Anything like credible, verifiable, evidence the Trump did anything like what you accused him of.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts?

It was a poor comparison for several reasons -- including that 9/11 and Pearl Harbor were total surprises, whereas plenty of people suspected that Donald's devoted would attempt something to stop the transfer of power...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?
January 6 Capitol Riot Arrests

Jan 6 was a terrorist attack, but it was by white people, so of course there's backlash.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thoughts?
My thought, she is the most unqualified person to ever hold the office, is there any question about why her staff is unhappy. What exactly has she accomplished as VP?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Respectfully, I would disagree.
It is far more important that the disruption was still able to take place at all.
What it shows is that Freedom is still alive and operational in this Country.
In the same way that the Civil War was possible, and in the same way that the Viet Nam War objections were possible, and in the same way that Dr. Martin Luther King led the Civil Rights marches, the Jan 6th insurrection was just as necessary.
In days and years to come it will be more easily discerned than it is now.
But that was exactly the same way that those previous marches were seen then, as being disturbing and possibly illegal.
Today, long after the fact, we see them in a different way.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In the same way that the Civil War was possible, and in the same way that the Viet Nam War objections were possible, and in the same way that Dr. Martin Luther King led the Civil Rights marches, the Jan 6th insurrection was just as necessary.

Haha.
No.

Having real, actual grievances and protesting for the redress of them is one thing (and yes, a very important and Constitutionally protected one); trying to get “your guy” in by staging a riot to halt a Constitutionally mandated process from taking place is neither a right, nor protected.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My thought, she is the most unqualified person to ever hold the office, is there any question about why her staff is unhappy. What exactly has she accomplished as VP?
That's a lie. Trump was the most unqualified person to hold office.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jan 6th, as bad as it was, was a Mostly Peaceful Protest which can't be rightly compared to acts of war that killed thousands.
or, for that matter, to the other attacks upon the Capitol building that the Pelosi-Biden-Harris-Schumer people are hoping no one remembers.

In one, a bomb was detonated and did serious damage. In another, revolutionaries actually shot a number of Congressmen during a session of Congress.

So to make a bunch of unarmed demonstrators on January 6 out to be the worst thing that ever happened to democracy would be laughable if it were not the Big Lie that one of our political parties is making be its main campaign theme for the upcoming elections.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Respectfully, I would disagree.
It is far more important that the disruption was still able to take place at all.
What it shows is that Freedom is still alive and operational in this Country.
In days and years to come it will be more easily discerned than it is now.
But that was exactly the same way that those previous marches were seen then, as being disturbing and possibly illegal.
Today, long after the fact, we see them in a different way.
Is it freedom to attempt to disrupt the democratic process solely because reality, facts, counts and courts have you information that makes you angry?

No. That's called being a child and having a tantrum.

6th was based 100% on allegations and 0% on evidence.

Dudes walked in there with zipties and tactical gear....based on allegations

Allegations..that's all.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Thoughts?

Regarding the first link, she never claimed that it was worse, so I don’t know why he’d make that argument except to get some strawman points.

In fact, I’d argue that, of those three events, Jan 6 was the only one that was anywhere close to an “attack on our democracy.” The other two had nothing to do with “democracy.”

I’d also argue that the threat to democracy is not from the Gravy SEALS storming the capitol building, but by the politicians who would do their bidding. The problem is the folks seeking to establish and use procedural measures to overturn a proper election they don’t like. To that first author’s point- yes, the institutions held fast this time, but there were a disturbing number of Republicans who caved.

Upvote 0