USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Greek priest convicted of serving Liturgy on Annunciation during pandemic (+VIDEO)
"The Court of First Instance in Patras, Greece, convicted a well-known priest of the Orthodox Church of Greece on Monday for having celebrated the Divine Liturgy on the feast of Annunciation in 2020 during the COVID pandemic.

All services were banned by order of the Greek state at that time, and other priests also found themselves in trouble with the law.

Protopresbyter Anastasios Gotsopoulos, who served in the Church of St. Nicholas in Patras on March 25, 2020, received a suspended sentence of 8 months in prison, reports Vima Orthodoxias."

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Greek priest convicted of serving Liturgy on Annunciation during pandemic (+VIDEO)
"The Court of First Instance in Patras, Greece, convicted a well-known priest of the Orthodox Church of Greece on Monday for having celebrated the Divine Liturgy on the feast of Annunciation in 2020 during the COVID pandemic.

All services were banned by order of the Greek state at that time, and other priests also found themselves in trouble with the law.

Protopresbyter Anastasios Gotsopoulos, who served in the Church of St. Nicholas in Patras on March 25, 2020, received a suspended sentence of 8 months in prison, reports Vima Orthodoxias."
Glory to God!
We need to be an offense to the way of the world. May God grant Fr Anastasios many years for his faithful witness. We now need other people to take courage from his example and force our bishops to stand behind him.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Glory to God!
We need to be an offense to the way of the world. May God grant Fr Anastasios many years for his faithful witness. We now need other people to take courage from his example and force our bishops to stand behind him.
Yes, but kind of sad that that happened in Greece, which is supposed to be an Orthodox country.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Lord have mercy! may God grant him strength for this new cross to bear!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,695.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but kind of sad that that happened in Greece, which is supposed to be an Orthodox country.
The Church is under attack all round the world. Many of our bishops are not standing firm but are actively undermining the Orthodox faith. As laity we need to stand up and rally around the faithful priests and bishops as the Church did after Ferrara and Florence.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Church is under attack all round the world. Many of our bishops are not standing firm but are actively undermining the Orthodox faith. As laity we need to stand up and rally around the faithful priests and bishops as the Church did after Ferrara and Florence.

Having seen hierarchs from Met Kallistos to the EP to the Patriarch of Russia (to say nothing of of this like AB Elpidophoros fold to worldly influences and interests, and having very nearly stopped believing in the Church altogether thanks to not only them, but what I witnessed on the local level in Russia, yes, we need to back those that really do and say what they were called to do, like this priest in Greece.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Greece is the only country in the world that has the Orthodox Church as the state religion which, to my understanding, makes the Church subordinate to the State (someone in the know, please feel free to correct me)

Other so-called Orthodox countries; Russia, Georgia, Bulgaria, Serbia, etc; are officially and legally secular although some to mention in their Constitutions that the Orthodox Church is special, but separate from the State.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Greece is the only country in the world that has the Orthodox Church as the state religion which, to my understanding, makes the Church subordinate to the State (someone in the know, please feel free to correct me)

Other so-called Orthodox countries; Russia, Georgia, Bulgaria, Serbia, etc; are officially and legally secular although some to mention in their Constitutions that the Orthodox Church is special, but separate from the State.
The Church is never subordinate to the state. Just laws of the state are to be obeyed, but when the commandments of the state contradict the commandments of Christ, Christ is to be obeyed. What part of Christ's command to eat His body and drink his blood, in remembrance of Him, did we not understand?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Church is never subordinate to the state. Just laws of the state are to be obeyed, but when the commandments of the state contradict the commandments of Christ, Christ is to be obeyed. What part of Christ's command to eat His body and drink his blood, in remembrance of Him, did we not understand?

agreed, I am glad the bishop I serve under never closed down his parishes.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
agreed, I am glad the bishop I serve under never closed down his parishes.
Yes, there are bishops who pretty much let the parishes be to serve.

Stopping worship for any reason equals evil. The amount of outright faithless wimps who stayed home instead of entreated God ought to be doing repentance on their knees. This includes clergy.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there are bishops who pretty much let the parishes be to serve.

Stopping worship for any reason equals evil. The amount of outright faithless wimps who stayed home instead of entreated God ought to be doing repentance on their knees. This includes clergy.

and that’s why they need our prayers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Like Fr. Sysoev did? Or the ELder Paisios? And others we can think of?

yeah. more folks strived to be like them, methinks, and took the Gospel seriously.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yes, it’s just that we used to take the battle more seriously.

I think we forget, especially in the luxurious living of America (as compared to so many other countries) that this is a battle to the death. That is, we should be ready to follow Christ into suffering and death. Have I done that? Not hardly. I think most of us find life very agreeable and the idea of rocking the boat doesn't sit well with us.

Upvote 0