Google Alert - IMPORTANT!

What do you think of this feature?

• Cool! What's Michael Jordan's number?

• Hey, now I can look up my friends' numbers.

• *no opinion yet*

• Not too sure about this idea.

• Totally unsafe!

Results are only viewable after voting.

jesusrocksmyworld

God ain't done w/ me yet!
Jul 9, 2003
SLC, Utah
Visit site
✟530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My sis-in-law forwarded this e-mail to me, and I tried it with a few numbers. :eek:

Google has implemented a new feature wherein you can type someone's telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will be given a map to their house. Everyone should be aware of this! Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in google.com. My phone number came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest link, it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary. Please look up your own number. Read below for details. Think about it-if a child, single person, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number, someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming. Mapquest will put a star on your house on your street. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: http://www.google.com -- Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on the telephone icon next to your phone number and follow the prompts. I removed my name, but it takes 48-hours. If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but it is a good idea just to check. Please forward on to friends and family.

IvoryRain

Irregular Member
Oct 1, 2003
God Bless the USA
✟1,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I voted no opinion. People who have their phone numbers listed in phone books are the ones in the google directory.

Each person has the option to stay out of phone books - and to go a step further and get off the telemarketer call lists.

Thats one of the irritants about the USA do not call list - if people had been active when getting their drivers license (thats where you waive the right for your info to be public) in the first place, legislation wouldn't have had to be involved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IvoryRain

Irregular Member
Oct 1, 2003
God Bless the USA
✟1,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
doofus125 said:
I hate to tell you all this, but any search engine will do this and has for years, it's called "Reverse Lookup".......webcrawler, yahoo, google, lycos, etc......
Exactly.

I know I've known about the google search for well over a year and a half now.

Upvote 0
E

ElectricStorm

I don't see what the big deals about? I mean, seriously anybody with the brains to find out where anybody lives can do it anytime he or she wanted too.

Only one thing that really strikes me is how easy it is now, something like this should be stopped but it isn't as easy as one thinks.

This is when one of my favorite quotes comes in, "Kill the computer" :mad: :p

Upvote 0

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I find it to be a big deal because I am unlisted in the phone book and my phone # and address are listed on both webcrawler and google, mine has been on webcralwer listings for about 10 years now and I tried to have it removed but to no avail and my number was blocked when I got it so it's not like I forgot to block it or something.....I find it offensive that someone can put in my phone number and find out who I am and where I live, they might as well have my social security number too so they don't have to look that up to so they can forge credit cards easier....:mad:

Upvote 0

IvoryRain

Irregular Member
Oct 1, 2003
God Bless the USA
✟1,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
doofus125 said:
I find it to be a big deal because I am unlisted in the phone book and my phone # and address are listed on both webcrawler and google, mine has been on webcralwer listings for about 10 years now and I tried to have it removed but to no avail and my number was blocked when I got it so it's not like I forgot to block it or something.....I find it offensive that someone can put in my phone number and find out who I am and where I live, they might as well have my social security number too so they don't have to look that up to so they can forge credit cards easier....:mad:
If this is the case I can almost guarantee you've had the number unlisted at some point or you've signed into a contest or club (CD, Book etc) and didn't read the fine print and gave permission to have your information made public or to be able to be passed on to other parties.

Upvote 0
E

ElectricStorm

or you've signed into a contest or club (CD, Book etc) and didn't read the fine print and gave permission to have your information made public or to be able to be passed on to other parties
When you think of "parties" you think of banks, or you think of stores, maybe credit card companies but you never think of Google, at least I wouldn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
IvoryRain said:
If this is the case I can almost guarantee you've had the number unlisted at some point or you've signed into a contest or club (CD, Book etc) and didn't read the fine print and gave permission to have your information made public or to be able to be passed on to other parties.
Nope, I have never given my home number out to anyone, when I do give a phone number it has always been my cell phone #.....the people that do have my home number know they are not to give it to anyone for any reason (which amounts to maybe a total of 10 people have my home number)......except for the millions on the internet :mad: that makes me angry....

Upvote 0