God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Growing up, I never was the kid that knew exactly what I wanted to be when I got older. Any "field", per se, that I was interested, I would change my mind to something else (a lot of the time, it was completely different from the previous) within just a few months. I went from veterinarian to musician to accountant to psychiatrist to translator to engineer to so on and so forth.

When I started going back to church after previously being saved, the first Wednesday night service in the Youth room that I attended, was the most convicting service that I have ever sat through. The pastor was teaching partially out of David Platt's Radical and the sermon was over telling other people about The Gospel. Over missionaries overseas and here.

I was so convicted I wanted to leave the room and just hide in the bathroom until the sermon was over, but I didn't. When I got home, I remember praying over what I had heard and what God had wanted for me, and from then on, I had a desire to be a missionary... to go over seas and to tell the lost about the Gospel.

Months later (I graduated from high school May 2016) I "had" to figure out what degree I was going to pursue, but when I thought about going into school to become a psychiatrist.... I felt conflicted... when I thought about pursuing a degree to be a motion animator or a movie effects artist.... I felt conflicted.... when I considered pursuing a degree in Professional Writing to become an author..... I felt conflicted... despite that I enjoyed writing and that some of my writings I turned in when I was still in Middle and High school I didn't get back because my teachers thought it was so good.... I still felt conflicted to pursue that specific degree.... When I thought about pursuing a Christian degree... some of that confliction slipped away. I'll be attending a (somewhat) local Baptist college next fall (2017) and I dodged around certain degrees, like an Interdisciplinary Degree minoring in Cross-Cultural Ministry, Multilingual Communications, and Christian Studies (I think it was). I finally settled for Cross-Cultural Ministry BA degree while studying languages outside of college academics, and I felt really at peace about it.

But, lately my desire for health has grown. Not specifically my well-being (health) but like...a general interest in studying health. I had an interest in Natural Healing or a study of Herbalism grow over the past few months, and despite the fact that a lot if not most of books of Herbalism usually or typically have something to do with New Age spirituality, paganism or witchcraft... I still wanted or had the desire to learn about it (don't get me wrong: No. I do not wish or desire to learn about Herbalism from either of those three perspectives; I desire to learn it from a Christian - non-demonic-like perspective). I mean, it's so cool! To be able, after studying certain botanicals and other types of herbs, to grow certain plants in your backyard, basically, and to essentially turn it into medicine sounds so..... exciting, interesting! I get so excited just thinking about it!

I recently began to look into studying to be a LPN alongside my CCM degree.... the idea of helping people, or to care for them, in any way shape or form is always an almost overwhelming interest of mine. So, likewise, the school I will soon be transferring to does off training to become a LPN, the only problem is is that I feel conflicted again... I'm not so much at peace anymore.

When I first became a Christian, for almost an entire YEAR (and dabbles of it here and there) I was so wrapped around how I felt that it distracted me constantly from what I really needed to focus on most: Him. I don't want this to be a similar situation but I don't quite know how to interpret it. What do you think?

rob_aston

Sep 21, 2016
nz
✟16,002.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I was so wrapped around how I felt that it distracted me constantly from what I really needed to focus on most: Him. I don't want this to be a similar situation but I don't quite know how to interpret it. What do you think
yes, this is horrible but God (continued on next line)

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was like you, I had lots of interests. Now I'm almost 70, and God has used almost all of them in some way or other. There really is time for God, if you are always studying something He has created. Follow your passion, it's probably Him leading you.

Reactions: HannahElizaW
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I mean, it's so cool! To be able, after studying certain botanicals and other types of herbs, to grow certain plants in your backyard, basically, and to essentially turn it into medicine sounds so..... exciting, interesting! I get so excited just thinking about it!
Good, but don't call them 'medicine' because of legal restrictions if you do.
See Jethro Klosses book "BACK TO EDEN" about BIBLICAL HEALING with HERBS, etc.... it is WONDERFUL and enough for most people for 50 to 100 years ! :)

Reactions: HannahElizaW
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
You could study naturopathic medicine. But....remember that it is not sin to choose a career that is pleasurable for you. After all, God created you with specific gifts, tendencies, talents, desires, aptitudes, etc, and he placed you in the context of your life to develop certain qualities and characteristic - so it is not wrong to follow how he created you. He stirred certain passions in you, so it's okay to follow them.

There is also nothing wrong with feeling conflicted. Peace about something isn't always the best way either. Think about your career in terms of development. There is a starting point, and that starting point will determine only the foundation. From there, you can direct your career in a way that it develops, building on the previous pieces.

Don't forget to commit all your plans to the Lord, and work at whatever you choose to do as though you were working for Jesus himself.

Upvote 0