Visit site
✟142,932.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here is another person not "lining up" to the CAGW mess.
Sorry, what was their actual name?

I guess he deserves to be attacked too!
Nah, unlike Denialist's I don't issue death threats. I just point out their qualifications. This person is a meteorologist, not climatologist. Do try to learn the difference between climate and weather! ;)

Upvote 0

Heissonear

Geochemist and Stratigrapher
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Here is yet another that sees through the Alarmism promoted today in CAGW.

Antero Järvinen on February 17, 2015 at 6:59 am

Dear friends,

I have followed climate research and debate since the early 1970s. When I was a student (University of Helsinki, Finland), Global Cooling was considered the biggest threat to mankind.

I was fortunate to have prof. Olavi Kalela (1908-1974) as the supervisor of my master’s thesis which concerned the effects of weather and climate on population dynamics of northern bird species. Kalela, the founder of Kilpisjärvi Biological Station in Lapland 69° N;

University of Helsinki - Kilpisjärvi Biological Station

had studied global warming/climate change in 1920-40, especially how natural warming affects the distribution of birds and mammals. He published several papers in German (and in Finnish, of course) and one in English, too. This paper, published in USA in 1949, has a very modern title “Changes in geographic ranges in the avifauna of Northern and Central Europe in relation to recent changes in climate”. After Kalela’s death I took over the long-term ecological research at the station.

At first I was quite enthusiastic about “global warming”.

For instance, in 1990 I belonged to a two men strong Finnish delegation which participated a large workshop (Monitoring climate change using plant response) organized by the Michigan State University W. K. Kellogg Biological Station. The workshop led to the launching of International Tundra Experiment (ITEX), a network of northern research stations to which ‘my’ station, Kilpisjärvi Biological Station, immediately joined. I also published some climate change related papers

"Global warming and egg size of birds & Correlation between egg size and clutch size in the Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca in cold and warm summers"

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie Correlation between egg size and clutch size in the Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca in cold and warm summers - J[]rvinen - 2008 - Ibis - Wiley Online Library).

About in 2000 I started to analyze my long-term ecological data sets (50 years long data sets, among the longest from the North). I was quite surprised to find that there were hardly any clear trends. In 2008 I wrote an article “Is Lapland really warming” (in Finnish; published in the biggest Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat). I also submitted a scientific manuscript to a high-quality magazine. The editor-in-chief rejected the MS by saying: Every magazine would be glad to publish your results, if you only had trends. My answer to him was: “When an editor rejects a manuscript like mine that fails to find significant trends, differences, etc., he/she will contribute to the fact that journals are being filled with the 5% of studies that show Type I errors (false alarms), while authors’ file drawers are filled with the 95% of the studies that show non-significant results. If and when meta-analyses or other reviews are carried out on Arctic or other matters, they are automatically biased. This will have very serious consequences on our common cause, science.”

I published the first meta-analysis in ecology in 1991

(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1474-919X.1991.tb04811.x/abstract)] :)

After the Hockeystick- and Climategate-scandals I was more or less convinced that there is something very wrong with climate science.

I was especially shocked that those who misbehaved did not apology and the scientific community did not condemn such a behavior. Once again I wrote to “Helsingin Sanomat” and demanded open discussion of the matter. At that time I also started to read climate-related blogs (in Finland there is at least one good blog

“Ilmastorealismia”, Climate Realism;

Ilmastorealismia: Ilmastoharhan lyhyt historia sivustakatsojan silmin).

Recently I have been shocked by the bullying Matt Ridley, David Rose and others have experienced. I even submitted a comment on these cases to Helsingin Sanomat but the editors did not want to publish it. It was, however, published here:

Ilmastorealismia: Sananvapautta on puolustettava aina ja kaikissa tapauksissa.

I have lectured in Finland and abroad of climate and northern nature [e.g. “Observations from the Arctic – science. Facts only, hardly any fiction (opinions, scenarios, models)”]. To my great surprise I have noticed that people – scientists, sponsors, editors & NGOs included – love trends (scary scenarios) and are very disappointed when they do not see them! However, non-alarming (non-significant) messages should be a delight, not a disappointment!

Based on my +40 years of field experience in the North, I conclude that there is huge annual and natural variation in all variables. Therefore, we need very, very long time-series to be able to demonstrate “alarming” or other trends.

Almost all trends you believe you have found tend to disappear if/when you continue to collect more data.

A major problem is that scientists do not read old studies since they cannot find them on the internet (you have to visit a library, i.e., a place full of books). In Finland the icons of “global warming” have been the Arctic charr, the glacier buttercup and the Siberian tit, all species studied by me for years. Based on my and other studies, these species are OK and not suffering from global warming (glacial buttercup is threatened by reindeer overgrazing).

The reliability of climate change science, and science as a whole, has suffered from the fact that almost all alarms have proved to be false alarms. Natural variation and cycles are much more important than assumed!

And finally, perhaps we should pay less attention to global warming/climate change and more attention to decreased biodiversity and, ultimately, increased human population size behind it!

Best & good luck JC & others, Antero

Source: http://judithcurry.com/2015/02/15/denizens-ii/

A man with a lifetime observations. His conclusion is Alarmism has hurt science, and the understanding of how natural variability plays a role in trends we observe when more data is collected and analyzed.

What he denies is Alarmism.

And how too many have pushed natural variability to the side to promote Global Warming/Climate Change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Another who sees no problem with CAGW.
Maybe another thing to add to:
Heissonear: The direct and indirect ignorance of climate science leading to unfounded denial of climate science from 20 February 2015 continues :eek:
The problem with the heat (not cold) reservoir in the oceans is that it is pumped up and down by natural variations on top of the pumping of heat into oceans from the CO2 caused global warming. The signs are that the pumping of heat into the ocean is about to reverse. That means that global warming of the surface will increase faster. This is bad for us :doh:!

But this is almost excusable because the latest work on this was just published last week as described in
The oceans may be lulling us into a false sense of climate security Posted on 5 March 2015 by John Abraham

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist

Here is yet another that sees through the Alarmism promoted today in CAGW.

Anything new to add to:
Heissonear: The direct and indirect ignorance of climate science leading to unfounded denial of climate science from 20 February 2015 continues :eek:?

Yes :doh:!
The what I learned from newspapers in the 1970's is science myth!
What were climate scientists predicting in the 1970s?
1970s ice age predictions were predominantly media based. The majority of peer reviewed research at the time predicted warming due to increasing CO2.

8th March 2015 Heissonear: The majority of peer reviewed research in the 1970s predicted warming due to increasing CO2.

We have the delusion that the hokey stick was a "scandal" - it is verified science (already in the list).
We have the delusion that climategate was a "scandal":
What do the 'Climategate' hacked CRU emails tell us?
Though some of the CRU emails can sound damning when quoted out of context, several inquiries have cleared the scientists. The Independent Climate Change Email Review put the emails into context by investigating the main allegations. It found the scientists' rigour and honesty are not in doubt, and their behaviour did not prejudice the IPCC's conclusions, though they did fail to display the proper degree of openness. The CRU emails do not negate the mountain of evidence for AGW.

8th March 2015 Heissonear: The CRU emails do not negate the mountain of evidence for AGW.

Antero Järvinen is shocked that when journalists lie about climate science (e.g. David Rose), climate scientists will point out that they are lying :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.